Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTB Arcanum Character Creation Advice...

Kz3r0

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Okay the hobo thing is coming along weird - i think i'm going to seriously have to gimp myself and play a half-orc as well.

The troll offspring thing works, but giving myself crazy tech skills really ruins it, so i think i'm going to skip on blacksmithy and focus on fist-fighting until i come across a decent axe or mace, also, i'll be wearing nothing but the pilgrim's robes (not even the blazing jacket while in town).

any other neat suggestions for retarded but possibly fun character types?
Well your idea sounds very interesting, I'll try it.
About suggestions, aside the dumb fighter and the idiot savant technologist, there's nothing else, you can just try an half ogre mage with dumb speech and nature college spells who hate technology and human society, but it will turn soon into a mindless slaughter-fest.
Anyone tried a dumb halfling thief?

RGE

Liturgist
One of the most unusual concepts I've read about (on Terra-Arcanum) is the Master of All Skills, who actually masters every skills with the help of blessings from the gods and magickal items, and perhaps technological items as well, such as charged rings. Apparently there are skills where you don't need 20 ranks to get Master training?

Another unusual concept is the techno-mage overlord who builds an army of mechanized arachnids and then gets enough magickal aptitude to support them with attack spells. Sounds a lot cooler than a technologist casting spells, which I've been planning to play after I manage to force myself to the end with my half-ogre mage. It's just not as fun the second time around, I guess.

Murk

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
About suggestions, aside the dumb fighter and the idiot savant technologist, there's nothing else, you can just try an half ogre mage with dumb speech and nature college spells who hate technology and human society, but it will turn soon into a mindless slaughter-fest.

It became kind of easy the second i got to blacksmithy level 2 so i think i'm going to skip that entirely and not purchase ANYTHING. This means i won't even really go into stores so i plan to miss a lot of quests.

It'll be neat to not care about money... guess i'll focus entirely on melee/dodge at first then spill into heal.

I plan to use fists for fighting the entire time, which kind of sucks since they're really slow...

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
RGE said:
Apparently there are skills where you don't need 20 ranks to get Master training?
You actually need 18 to master a skill. Thus, dwarves can master any tech skill by putting only 4 CPs in it. And you need 9 ranks to get Expert training, btw.

I'm soloing the game now with a halfling assassin. I chose the 'Raised by Orcs background' and I'm planning to get max DX, PE, IN, mastery in Dodge, Melee, Throwing, Backstab and Prowling, and I'm also studying the Explosives discipline. The character is very easy to play, despite the low ST (8), you can use stun grenades/backstab, prowling/backstab, or just set everything on fire with explosive grenades or the fire obstruction.

On the matter of unique builds I'd recommend an extremely ugly and hideous character who is very charismatic. Basically everyone hates you on sight, but when you actually start talking, the high charisma gives you options to raise people's reaction. You can use the 'Beat with an Ugly Stick' background for such build. And an extreme variant would be to choose a half-orc. Don't worry though, nobody will attack you on sight, even if their reaction goes as low as 0, BE reaction modifier doesn't provoke combat, but if you put on barbarian clothes (or other reaction lowering items) then you may get attacked.

Murk

Arcane
I tried that with my ugly but intelligent half-orc, high int gave me dialog options which would auto-boost me like 20 reaction points or something around there. The problem with that is that after the first few times you have to reason with them to not hate you, it becomes annoying and you start to skip dialog options because you know what's what already.

Regardless, my goal is to go half-orc and beat-with-ugly stick, and raise dex first then melee and dodge, then str, and finally maybe... heal?

I've never used heal as an actual means of hp restoration - how does it work in combat and out of combat?

at all capable of being my only means of healing other than potions/salves i find?

also, it will be solo - so i'll be dumping virgil at the crash site. probably pick him up and carry him to shrouded hills, then dump him again till i can get to tarant at which point i'll remove him completely.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Kz3r0 said:

It became kind of easy the second i got to blacksmithy level 2 so i think i'm going to skip that entirely and not purchase ANYTHING. This means i won't even really go into stores so i plan to miss a lot of quests.
That's how I want to play.

Mikayel said:
It'll be neat to not care about money... guess i'll focus entirely on melee/dodge at first then spill into heal.

I plan to use fists for fighting the entire time, which kind of sucks since they're really slow...
I done this with a half-orc mage with tough hide background and specialized in the polimorph college, so I got increased damage with hardened hands and it's pretty funny when your enemies are turned into sheeps.

Murk

Arcane
hmm, perhaps limited magic might not be a bad idea - i'll just have to avoid the agility of fire, summon college, and harm and other cheap-shots...

hmmmmzmzmzmmz

DragonHawk

Novice
Here are the 2 characters I am playing right now, both technologists:

1. Half Orc, Miracle Operation, with some skills in firearms (thanks to bonus in PER) with high charisma/Persuasion to get as many followers as possible. The kicker is he is also specializing in therapeutics so he can easily and cheaply drug his followers (increase str, per & dex) for maximum effects :twisted: :twisted:

2. Human, sickly, a genius who is not afraid to use both tech and magic to his benefit. He learned the first spells from Air, Fire, and Earth schools to temporarily deal with his lack of physical prowess. He learns throwing and molotov making to compensate for his lack of fighting skills. His true passion is Herbology (as he is dealing with sickness most of his life) & Mechanical to make lots of Medical Arachnid. Again, since he is not shy of using magical items, the applications of Potions of Intellect here and there is necessary for crafting his minions. He also dabbles in smithy to make shiny cheap weapons (and maybe automatons someday)

Both characters are addicted to Charged rings so 2 pts in electricity is a must

Murk

Arcane
the hobo character is pretty fun, but i think it'd be best if he had dumb speech - but there's only one way to do that and still retain high int - idiot savant, so i guess i'll have to go that route.

Also - i'm back to my previous stance of avoiding magic like a plague, there's a lot of stuff that if found can overpower me and i'd like combat to be somewhat of a challenge - though since i'm just bashing shit it's... well, simple.

Also - i'd like to ask again, can anyone explain the value of the heal skill?

RGE

Liturgist
Mikayel said:
the hobo character is pretty fun, but i think it'd be best if he had dumb speech - but there's only one way to do that and still retain high int - idiot savant, so i guess i'll have to go that route.
You could also go with Frankenstein Monster, though that's more like retaining normal Intelligence, with an option for high. I may still try that out some day, even if I can't get Master training in Repair due to the dumb speak. And every script also thinking that Intelligence is 1, apparently.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Mikayel said:
You need bandages to use this skill alone for curing your character and party members, it also affects the proficiency in using potions magical and technological alike.

spiwak

Novice
Mikayel said:
... i think i'm going to play a hobo character that won't purchase items ever, only uses things he finds, can't use magic (so technologist/melee) has piss poor charisma and beauty, and probably speaks like an idiot (so maybe take the idiot savant background)

this should be fun!
Sounds like Macguyver. Combine the battery and the railroad spike and voila! you're dead.

Murk

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Mikayel said:
You need bandages to use this skill alone for curing your character and party members, it also affects the proficiency in using potions magical and technological alike.

See i know this - my question is does the amount of HP healed go up, should it be used to heal HP as a primary source, how often can it be used, as skill increases do you get a better return other than more successes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom