Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Best Video Game

• Thread starter Farewell into the night
  • Start date

Dodo1610

Arcane
the best sword-fighting game ever made

C'mon brah. I love Warband too, but it's no Dark Messiah of Kickin' Dem Orcs
C'mon brah. We all love M&B and Dark Messiah, but the king of swordfighting games is Severance - Blade of Darkness.

Finally someone who gets it. Severance has the most satisfying combat ever. It's one of only a few game where swords actually feel like deadly weapons.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dear Codexer,

which video game do you consider to be THE BEST in the world and WHY?

The rule is: you can choose only ONE game, so think hard.
I'll post my choice soon™
Have you checked HG101's 200 best video games list? They listed lots of stuff from different genres.

Curratum

That's a hard one. The best game in the world is either Doom 2 or Thief 2.

Why? Because they both have the ingenious and / or fun gameplay of the original, but with infinite quality content being produced literally every few months, for years on end.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PS:T, and by a mile. Games get repetitive and boring after a while, but an engaging story with characters you come to care about doesn't. I've started to enjoy reading more and more versus games, and PS:T is the best of both worlds.

revealer

Augur
+1 for Mount and blade.

10 years later, still playing napoleonic wars commander battle on multiplayer.. some of the best multiplayer gameplay experiences i've had. Basically you choose between inf, arty or cav and you lead 10-30 men(bots) unit. Maps are best of 3, with max of 40 players. Meaning most often around 600+ men battlefields.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think this question should be rather asked - which video game have you enjoyed the most, since I for one know that it is highly unlikely that my favorite game is technically or otherwise the absolute pinnacle of its genre (well, gameplaywise it just might). That being said, the game I have ever enjoyed the most is probably Player Manager or Kick Off 2 on Amiga.
The most hours I've spent on MUDs, and then on GW1, so I guess that's some sort of indicatior as well.

There are a few possibilities. I considered Super Mario Brothers 2, but decided to discount due to the whole thing being a dream, which was fucking retarded.

Mario Galaxy 2: A perfect take on the Mario formula, with great level design, enemies, power ups, challenges and lots of fun. Takes an excellent game and polishes it to near perfection.
Zelda 2: A truly great game which has a great world, dungeons, exploration, combat and atmosphere. Your weapon is a bit short, but it does not really bother me because the game is so fun.
Doom: Nonstop fast-paced action, great atmosphere, lots of challenge and plenty of hidden things to find. A perfect action game.
Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers 2: An out of left field choice, but an excellent game that really uses the scale very well and has plenty of challenge, creativity and fun. A perfect example of why I love Capcom.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I'll just go over games I return to:
* Gateway to Apshai
* Diablo 2
* Ultima 7
* Red Alert 2 (Hell March - yeah, you know you want to click that. Don't act like you can just pass it up, fucker.)
* But in retrospect, FO:NV is damn near the perfect game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thief: The Dark Project.

/thread

Great gameplay, amazing atmosphere and sound design, interesting levels.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deus Ex. My favorite game might be Morrowind for nostalgia reasons, but I think Deus Ex is pretty much perfect honestly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom