Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Shroud of the Avatar

Deathsquid

Learned
Thanks for the excellent review, taxalot - the drama is delicious. I can't believe that the thread isn't also flooded with Star Citizens, considering their idol is brought up as well.

Perhaps this needs to be fixed, butthurt must flow.

grimace

Arcane
Thanks for the excellent review, taxalot - the drama is delicious. I can't believe that the thread isn't also flooded with Star Citizens, considering their idol is brought up as well.

What's a star citizen?

Deathsquid

Learned

What's a star citizen?

Paragon: What's a paladin?
Renegade: If we're lucky you'll see a few starsplaining to us.
Trollface: Best damn space sim ever! Buy some spaceships!

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Ladies and gentlemen, the SOTA community :

latest

Criticizing sandbox MMO's means we want 10 more years of WoW themepark clones.
I'm sure SOTA is bad in many ways but for the first time since WoW i see a MMO in which if a player drags and drops an item, it doesn't say "oh you want to destroy it? yes no", and omg there's an adventure style parser (of vendor buy heritage). It's pretty much enuff for me, compared to current MMO's. I saw no mention of these ultima online things in the review.

I think non clones should be praised a priori, unless we want more themepark crap. Or at least encouraged. Yes that's how terrible the scenario of MMO's is, it's on the level of believing that even small and faint intentions are more important than results, it's little light of hope in a world of neverending horror. If we criticize SOTA, MMO's are doomed forever, if it succeeds, we'll see more sandbox simulations. Simple as that.

we should be more farsighted, we're criticizing "our" people.

MMOs are all cancer and I'm more than happy that fewer companies waste resources on developing them compared to a few years ago when everybody was on the hunt for the WoW killer

Also, are you for real? "our" people, so you mean crazies of codexia or what

MMO's are not... that. Virtuality, persistancy, is life to a static linear story.

You mean current MMO's, then sure, because it's the same gameplay model applied to decorations and bits. The WoW of warhammer, the WoW of star trek, the WoW of Dune.

MMo's are not that, they're the opposite of that process, they're: Dune as it is from the "verb of the creator" comes to life, Star Trek (same) comes to life and Warhammer (same) comes to life

it's so much the opposite of the c. word, it's a miracle, evolution, mutation, and the advantage interactivity has over books and movies, which are dead, static.

all this is ofc just potential that has yet to show. Wanting them dead is seeing life forming a billion years ago and pissing on it. We are bad gods, unlike Origin who infact stated "we create worlds", not coincidentally.

Is SOTA anything like that? I doubt it. But an even small attempt toward that direction should be encouraged more than the review does. As i said, it's not farsighted, it doesn't care about the genre and where it might go should the game succeed. That's all i'm saying, encourage sandbox games a little more, reward this probably bad attempt at true virtuality for its intentions of being more "real" than wow garbage

Last edited:
oh and regarding "our" people. I love whatever is unpopular belief, with good sense, ofc. I think the good of rpgcodex is upholding unpopular beliefs, loving controversy, the minorities.

So since SOTA is considered bad by all, and since the community is made of idiots, by logic there must be something good about SOTA they can't see.

reward this probably bad attempt at true virtuality for its intentions of being more "real" than wow garbage
Reward it by buying virtual real estate, it pays for game development

don't get me wrong, if SOTA is in the end a commercial manoeuver, made by marketing expert morons or something, then it must fail like all others. But if in its heart there's honest attempt at emulating what was good about UO, then it should be encouraged.

Deathsquid

Learned
reward this probably bad attempt at true virtuality for its intentions of being more "real" than wow garbage
But if in its heart there's honest attempt at emulating what was good about UO, then it should be encouraged.
Haven and Hearth were a more honest effort at this. Conan Exile is a more honest attempt at this.

This? This isn't that.

But if in its heart there's honest attempt at emulating what was good about UO, then it should be encouraged.
Haven and Hearth were a more honest effort at this. Conan Exile is a more honest attempt at this.

This? This isn't that.

maybe it will be if it can.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You know you have made it as a cult when you get to have your progeny join it willfully.

This is not awkward at all.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
WTF WAS THAT? Pasted paper on a Count Chocula cereal box?

Zep--

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you noticed that all these newfag accounts write in a similar manner?

Every of them make a paragraph of few sentences and then separate them like that.

It's unnatural, and I find it suspicious.

And it reads like shit.
You've discovered:

Reddit spacing

we truly are rpgreddit now

Rune_74

Novice
I'm sure SOTA is bad in many ways but for the first time since WoW i see a MMO in which if a player drags and drops an item, it doesn't say "oh you want to destroy it? yes no", and omg there's an adventure style parser (of vendor buy heritage). It's pretty much enuff for me, compared to current MMO's. I saw no mention of these ultima online things in the review.

I think non clones should be praised a priori, unless we want more themepark crap. Or at least encouraged. Yes that's how terrible the scenario of MMO's is, it's on the level of believing that even small and faint intentions are more important than results, it's little light of hope in a world of neverending horror. If we criticize SOTA, MMO's are doomed forever, if it succeeds, we'll see more sandbox simulations. Simple as that.

So regardless of if it works or not it should be praised?

Hey if I mean to make a great rpg and it really is just a shiny piece of shit, I think I would be justified in being called out.

Rune_74

Novice
Jestai Yeah mate, you got that right, absolutely nutters. Here's just a few of the neckbeards below:

I shiver looking at that....those are visionaries of the sandbox genre. Taking a game that was not kickstarted as a MMO and dragging it into the world....like a drawn out shit.

Dumbfuck Weasel
I guess I'm wrong. There IS a dude on there trying to rent out places for money.

Probably not working out for him very well, but I guess it's happening.

Does anything more need to be said folks?

Remember, this is a guy who is running a real money business in game. But he tries to lie to you about one of the most basic ways people RMT... and then when he realises how stupid what he just tried to claim is, he has to immediately go back and try and qualify it and say "It's just one person!".

And all you have to do is go to the Official forums, and click on the Renting sub forum to see for yourself how many are asking for US Dollars for rent.

You can't post on the forums. You need to have spent $5 to post on their forums. Yes, the monetized even that too. But you can read them. He honestly seems to think though that shouting and gaslighting people means you'll never, ever read anything he doesn't want you too.

So regardless of if it works or not it should be praised?

Hey if I mean to make a great rpg and it really is just a shiny piece of shit, I think I would be justified in being called out.

at least encouraged. Because the intention "seems" to be a new UO. The character creation is the fortune gypsy of U4 and 9. Did the reviewer mention that? And i love the parser, obviously, being a Sierra fanatic.

Praise the intention and, supporting it, it will get better, that's the point. And because everything else stinks.

Last edited:
Dumbfuck Weasel
BritishAccentsGetTheGirls
If you have a lawyer... Why do you continue to write novels? Wouldn't one of the first things your lawyer tell you is to shut the fuck up?

He probably uses the same "lawyer" as Cleve ..

Oh no, someone got edgelord in the thread again! How will I ever cope with an online know-nothing telling me I'm mental whilst he obsesses about someone who apparently isn't even here any more, and none of us have heard of?!

This thread quickly evolved into PLANE TICKETS territory.

I must admit, I'm still kinda confused about what is going on.

Rabid newfags with non-specific mental problems bringing an ongoing fight to a forum that will keep prodding them for amusement rather than banning them. Everybody wins.

And something about turtles.

And I use that pavlovian need to start prodding to ring the bell of Shroud's true nature in the heads of all those who gets linked by MrAdventur3's attempts to direct supporters towards criticism here; You've seen the thread on the official forums on this review; Now they've all seen the evidence Portalarium tried to hide, and "jammaplaya" in turn has spent months gloating he thought he'd censored.

He's not even caught up to the Eurogamer article today where they interview Richard Garriott thanks to the information I was working on them with yet too.

Sorry, I mean, "that I completely made up, just like my lawyer".

He he he!

Dumbfuck Weasel

Sadly you've also misunderstood how Shroud actually works.

You don't see that gump because there's no way to drop an item into the world. They weren't able to code for that. The only place you can drop items is ... yes you guessed it... inside player owned property.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In respect of your making a post shorter than the average novel, I followed your link, and to my great disappointment there's no Chris Spears going fucking mental. There's one post with him going slightly passive aggressive, is that what you meant? Or did you perhaps post the wrong link?
At least something good came out of that comment section:
SOTAFINE_565788_1-768x399.gif

Dumbfuck Weasel
In respect of your making a post shorter than the average novel, I followed your link, and to my great disappointment there's no Chris Spears going fucking mental. There's one post with him going slightly passive aggressive, is that what you meant? Or did you perhaps post the wrong link?
At least something good came out of that comment section:
SOTAFINE_565788_1-768x399.gif

*Shrugs* Can't help with your short attention span, sorry, but you do have my pity for it. If you'd read more earlier you'd know how this is repeating the history which lead to the reason I've taking Portalarium to Arbitration. But it's true Chris Spears "only" starts passive aggressive, oh yes. Keep watching though. Last time he escalated to taking the reports he'd had from the blogger InsaneMembrane about "jammaplaya" sending information on which schools his children went to through the forums, and attempting to defame critics by saying we'd done it to him, even though the forums he claimed it happened on didn't even exist when he said it happened.

MassivelyOP will keep deleting it, but if you've not spotted the linked video is on one of Kabalyero Kid's own channels pushing RMT in game, his actual online business is also found here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom