Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Braindance is also used to keep prisoners in place. No need for complicated and expensive prison complexes, just plug each prisoner into a Braindance and slot them into a basic life support capsule that injects them with nutrients and washes shit away once a week. No riots, no breakouts, minimal upkeep cost compared to maximum security facilities. Oh, what kind of braindance the prisoners experience? Whatever the corp running the place has gotten cheaply and has deemed as suitable punishment.

I really hope there is a mission to spring some prisoner out of one of these sites.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
DQmQA58TNcAE8FB4TVHJcu7UoeuKJYbFQBtwntFTBB6cVrR.png

Quillon

Arcane
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21584/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018-trailer-frame-by-frame-ep06

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 Trailer Frame by Frame EP06
vlcsnap-2018-07-06-13h16m18s693.png

Night City is a diverse place with people from all walks of life, backgrounds, and cultures. As a result, there’s an array of nightlife establishments, each with their own appealing theme and atmosphere. Some Night City bars have a distinct old-school vibe, which is why, in the trailer, we spot a familiar sight — a classic style pool table that’s been retrofitted with minor technological enhancements.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Haven't got my answer yet. I think it's safe to assume that anyone that seriously think Bitcher 3 has good quests+design is a filthy storyfag.
Nigga just drop this shit already,as if you will be able to understand why it is good quest and design. You couldn't get it when drawn to you,let alone when explained with words and shiet.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never get to read teh book because ofvthat opinion too. That said witcher 3 is a decent popamole at worst, and a pretty solid game with some rpg elements added

Rev

Arcane
Witcher 3 has better writing and quest design than any game obsidian has ever done or will do.

I'm expecting Cyberpunk to maintain that level.
Better writing it can be disputed if you compare it with games like MotB, but it's definetely better (like miles ahead) of new Obsidian, and overall I really like CDP's writing, it's really great and they have the best writers out of any RPG software house right now, by far.
But quest design absolutely not: TW3 quests all revolve around the Witcher senses, you always do the same things and are almost never required to use your brain, and generally you don't have multiple paths, ways to play the mission, etc., and Obsidian made a game like New Vegas which has a a great quest design. TW3 quests are still memorable but they are because of their writing, surely not because of their design.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Pluralism of opinions was a mistake. ITT people don't even know what to get upset and edgy at, either trailer showing off bright day, depressing dystopia or... cyberpunk tropes and aesthetics in a game named after Cyberpunk PnP. Decide already.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Pluralism of opinions was a mistake. ITT people don't even know what to get upset and edgy at, either trailer showing off bright day, depressing dystopia or... cyberpunk tropes and aesthetics in a game named after Cyberpunk PnP. Decide already.
All!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Haven't got my answer yet. I think it's safe to assume that anyone that seriously think Bitcher 3 has good quests+design is a filthy storyfag.
It's perfectly safe to assume that you have a shit taste for writing and story. It's ok, it's not easy to develop taste, it takes years of good education.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, if quests were given out and executed pantomymically, or through very elaborate ballet movements, but that's not the case. The quests are the story, if you've played Witcher 3. The story is told through the quests.

What makes a character distinct in a 3D 3rd person game? The character 3d model, the animations, but most of all, the writing and voice acting, or in other words, the specific way in which the writing is being acted out, through voice, scene composition, body language, etc.

As for the word "design", I doubt even he knows what he meant by that.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
He probably meant quest design, which in TW3 amounts to following the Videogame Breadcrumb Trail Vision and fighting a bunch of drowners 90% of the time. Compare with Fallout New Vegas, in which you use a variety of skills and even occasionally iso Fallout-style creative problem solving (though I'll admit that the inherited quest compass somewhat undermines this). That's not even getting into choice and consequence. And if you think the main quest of the Witcher 3 is good, then I'll have to say that you are the one with bad taste in story.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
As an interactive movie with reactivity to player choice, Witcher 3 can only compare against GTA IV/V on the PC market.

The sections of twitch combat and "follow the red mist to the objective" are interspersed between the cinematic scenes so that the game doesn't turn into a telltale adventure game. The game has a small number of discrete systems - combat, riding, following red breadcrumbs, playing Gwent, crafting, dialogue. Every quest resembles an episode in a TV series, where some or all of those systems are taking turns, and the player has to use them to progress... what? Yes, to progress the story!

That's all there is to Witcher 3's gameplay. If anyone goes looking for more, he will be disappointed. It's not complex system-wise, it's even simplistic, but it's mixed masterfully, to tell a story. If you don't like the story, that's a matter of personal taste, but it's very hard to convince anyone the story is being told badly, or composed badly.

One important caveat - the game developers may be the writers of the interactive movie, but the player is the director. The player decides which quests to progress, in what order, and how they will end. The player is also in charge of how long each "episode" of the series will be. If the player is bad at directing or at deciding the right dosage before he gets bored from binge-watching, that's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom