Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm sorry, but Morrowind simply is not a good 'game' but it is a good digital world

Is Morrowind a good game?

• Yeah

Votes: 118 65.6%
  • Nah

Votes: 62 34.4%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I've reached a point where I just don't fuck with these first person walking simulators anymore. They're so mind-numbingly boring, I can't handle it. That being said, I'm neutral on the OP's comments. Hard to disagree with him though when I have yet to see a single comment refuting the points that OP has made to explain why Morrowind is such a good game.
Do a search.

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
I've reached a point where I just don't fuck with these first person walking simulators anymore. They're so mind-numbingly boring, I can't handle it. That being said, I'm neutral on the OP's comments. Hard to disagree with him though when I have yet to see a single comment refuting the points that OP has made to explain why Morrowind is such a good game.
Do a search.
Not an argument

Yosharian

Arcane
but technically the models, textures and animations were ASS for the time
You probably weren't around back then, were you? When it came out, it blew people off. In the magazines, people wrote rumors that the full potential of the graphics engine still wasn't unlocked and would unlock once better PCs would come out. It was crazy. When I saw it, I thought the graphics could never get any better and that we had hit the ceiling.

> When it came out, it blew people off

Incredible!

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Should there be a sub-forum for: "insert name of classic game you like" is shit? Cos these threads seem to pop up very regularly, and Im honestly surprised people keep responding to them? Or possibly there is so little to discuss with the general mediocrity of new games we actually need these threads to stay entertained?

Anyway Morrowind = good for what it is, considering the low bar Bethesda swing for.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You probably weren't around back then, were you? When it came out, it blew people off. In the magazines, people wrote rumors that the full potential of the graphics engine still wasn't unlocked and would unlock once better PCs would come out. It was crazy. When I saw it, I thought the graphics could never get any better and that we had hit the ceiling.
I guess people had brain damage during that time because Gothic came out a year earlier and was equal. If I had to guess it was Fallout 4 type situation where people say it looks great and amazing because of some very selective footage and screenshots.

dem grafix doe

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's not hard to disagree at all, most of the complaints revolve around tech limitations of the time, and his criticism of the dialogue system is completely off base. He doesn't even understand that the point was not to entertain, like you were watching the idiot box, but inform the player and provide (admittedly shitty) social gameplay options. Like usual bethesda fucked up by failing to just refine a good idea from a previous game (daggerfall's npc interaction was much better).

If he wants cinematic npc interaction like a faggot he should stop playing RPGs and just get a netflix account

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I guess people had brain damage during that time because Gothic came out a year earlier and was equal. If I had to guess it was Fallout 4 type situation where people say it looks great and amazing because of some very selective footage and screenshots.

dem grafix doe

morrowind was significantly better looking than gothic for the most part

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Do a search.
Don't get me wrong, I've heard all about how amazing the quests, writing, cities, cultures, etc are. The question is whether or not those things are enough to redeem the game from all the complaints OP has.

It's not hard to disagree at all, most of the complaints revolve around tech limitations of the time, and his criticism of the dialogue system is completely off base. He doesn't even understand that the point was not to entertain, like you were watching the idiot box, but inform the player and provide (admittedly shitty) social gameplay options. Like usual bethesda fucked up by failing to just refine a good idea from a previous game (daggerfall's npc interaction was much better).

If he wants cinematic npc interaction like a faggot he should stop playing RPGs and just get a netflix account
And those complaints are invalid because??? Just because issues exist due to the time in which a game was created, doesn't mean that the game gets a "pass" in those areas when it is objectively being reviewed x years after its initial release. As I said, it comes down to whether the positive qualities of the game redeem the negative ones. I would agree and say that this thread is kind of redundant as this topic has already been touched upon, but I'm inclined to agree with op and say Morrowind is just meh. Maybe I'll push myself to get past the starting area of the game one day.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
2FfagPn.png

:balance:

Generic-Giant-Spider

dem grafix doe

James Hydrick, we meet again.

picture_37.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Do a search.
Don't get me wrong, I've heard all about how amazing the quests, writing, cities, cultures, etc are. The question is whether or not those things are enough to redeem the game from all the complaints OP has.

And those complaints are invalid because??? Just because issues exist due to the time in which a game was created, doesn't mean that the game gets a "pass" in those areas when it is objectively being reviewed x years after its initial release. As I said, it comes down to whether the positive qualities of the game redeem the negative ones. I would agree and say that this thread is kind of redundant as this topic has already been touched upon, but I'm inclined to agree with op and say Morrowind is just meh. Maybe I'll push myself to get past the starting area of the game one day.
No, I mean these aren't new complaints and you can find people refuting them after a search.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Best Elder Scroll game in terms of gameplay?
Daggerfall.

Best Elder Scroll game in terms of world?
Morrowind.

Best Elder Scrolls game as fuel to burn and make a nice fire on a zombie apocalypse?
All the rest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And those complaints are invalid because??? Just because issues exist due to the time in which a game was created, doesn't mean that the game gets a "pass" in those areas when it is objectively being reviewed x years after its initial release.

Oh, really? So, in other words it's completely fair to criticize Pong for its basic graphics and limited gameplay?
It doesn't matter if it was the best of its time, if it's not the same 30 years later then it's shit?
What the fuck. Idiot.
But what can you expect from someone who thinks "better writers" is all that RPGs need.

Abhay

Augur
OP has made some very good points. Its a good game in its own right but other than the immersive world and the environmental diversity of the map, the game doesn't stabd out in any way. No, I am not a skyrim/oblivion fan either. The fact is that Morrowind is severely outdated in its core gameplay. Its hard to overlook the games weaknesses (as rightly pointed out by OP) when there are far better RPGs out there, unless you mod the game heavily and make certain changes to its core gameplay, Morrowind is unfortunately not a great RPG. Its a good game but not a great one.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Oh, really? So, in other words it's completely fair to criticize Pong for its basic graphics and limited gameplay?
When we're talking about the quality of the game as it stands now in 2018, yes it is you fucking mongoloid. Just because you're a fucking retard that can't follow the direction of a thread doesn't mean my comments were wrong. We're discussing how the game plays now, not how it played back then.
It doesn't matter if it was the best of its time, if it's not the same 30 years later then it's shit?
I'll say it again, if we're talking about the quality of the game in 2018, then yes. I'm not saying that the game is shit, but it isn't nearly as good as people hype it up to be on this forum. The Ford Model T was the best of its time when it was released 110 years ago, but pretending it's not shit now is laughable. Again, not saying Morrowind is shit, doesn't mean that it holds up though.
What the fuck. Idiot.
But what can you expect from someone who thinks "better writers" is all that RPGs need.
The only idiot here is someone that clearly has shit reading comprehension. But what can you expect from a beta male cuck that didn't say a fucking word to refute my points regarding "better writers". Hop off my dick homo.

Should there be a sub-forum for: "insert name of classic game you like" is shit? Cos these threads seem to pop up very regularly, and Im honestly surprised people keep responding to them? Or possibly there is so little to discuss with the general mediocrity of new games we actually need these threads to stay entertained?

Anyway Morrowind = good for what it is, considering the low bar Bethesda swing for.

In fairness, very few people in Yankystaan played Gothic at the time, from what I gather. For that matter, I don't recall seeing Gothic around in Australia pre-Morrowind, or on the CRPG forums/review sites.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Just to remind the OP that pressing "Q" triggers autoforward and "capslock" toggles running.
And you need to improve your trolling skiils. It's not enough to collect only some negative aspects (every thing under this sun has them), a good slander twists good into bad ones.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Best Elder Scroll game in terms of gameplay?
irrelevant, best of shit is still shit

Best Elder Scroll game in terms of world?
irrelevant, see above

Best Elder Scrolls game as fuel to burn and make a nice fire on a zombie apocalypse?
All the rest of them
Corrected

To be honest and slightly less edgy: Daggerfall has some merits but anything after it can burn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom