Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

TripJack

Hedonist
i'll buy that for a dollar

Enrymion

Novice
Name games that have fun crafting in them. Bonus points if it was made in the past decade.
Atelier games are all about interesting crafting systems.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/527270/Atelier_Sophie_The_Alchemist_of_the_Mysterious_Book/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/527290/Atelier_Firis_The_Alchemist_and_the_Mysterious_Journey/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/..._The_Alchemists_and_the_Mysterious_Paintings/

The crafting itself in Notrium isn't that interesting but the way you don't just combine items but also break them apart to cannibalize parts for other items as needed makes the crafting in it really nice and I really wish more survival games had something like that instead of item durability systems that make you not really care that much about getting more resources/items despite making getting more stuff essential.

I had fun making potions in The Herbalist though it doesn't have that much else to do.
There's also Everyday Lite if very detailed and realistic cooking counts as crafting.
Thea: The Awakening's crafting system also was pretty neat with the way you picked what you want to make and then a bunch of materials to use with each material having a different effect on the end result(iirc "better" materials sometimes not actually being better due to not really being suitable for a specific item was something I thought as pretty cool).
It's been ages since I played it but did Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1&2 for gba have a nice crafting systems? I feel like it was nice but I don't really remember what it was like.
Therian Saga has really complex crafting systems I believe, I never got around to playing it that much but I recall having some fun in trying to figure out what herbs affected which parts of a potions effects and by how much before I got too into it and totally burnt out on the game.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
If that is "fun" then:

Miles better than Arcanum in terms of combat and crafting.

s4Qc.png

:notsureifserious:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Blood Bowl: Death Zone, a new Blood Bowl game published by Cyanide themselves, coming to Early Access:

I was never into the previous two games but looks like it plays pretty different (short match [5 minutes], real-time only?) and production value is much lower:

ss_b789381d311c9634fc4f84464769c34a776e68e7.600x338.jpg

Also it won't have single-player mode at EA launch.

Latelistener

Arcane
And here I thought City Interactive wanted to forget their shovelware past when they change the title to CI Games.
I guess after their last game they finally decided to stop running and acknowledged that they can't be any more than that.

Vorark

Erudite
Ended up buying stuff afterall:

DQXI
Yakuza 0
Dark Futures bundle (thanks for the heads-up, Pretty!)
Sims 3 expansion :M

Part of me feels disgusted by buying two games saddled with Denuvo crapware, yet I want more Japanese games on PC. :dealwithit:

I've been punished by buying games bundled with Denuvo. PC got hit by a thunderstorm while I was sleeping, lost my VGA and a memory stick.

See, this is what happens when you SIN.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Cancelled the Yakuza pre-order. Hopefully, DQ XI will run on a 750ti and be crapware free since there's zilch mention about it on the Steam page... what are the chances? :shittydog:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
MoonQuest, a Terraia-like action adventure:

ss_290fd737bf71f0802632602a1f049d6f39761fbe.600x338.jpg

ss_7ca02898d1763bcda928489a6b782a6e0aa256d0.600x338.jpg

MoonQuest is a procedurally-generated adventure game with roguelike and minecraftian gameplay. Seek out the lost forest, delve into the spider caves, storm the castle of the Silver King, discover vast seams of gold ore, and craft a hat of such splendour that the cosmos will be jealous.

Key Features
  • A new world to explore every game, with frozen forests, hollow mountains, dangerous dungeons and populated towns;
  • Strange alien creatures, wandering merchants, and relentless enemies;
  • A rich environment with destructible tiles, ambient wildlife, and weather effects;
  • Strange moons that influence the game in unique ways (e.g., the Giant moon spawns giant versions of animals and enemies);
  • Hundreds of items including weapons, tools, hats, armour, shields, blocks, toolbenches, and so on;
  • Many resources to mine or harvest like silver, gold, sugar, salt, fur, and fruit; and
  • Several playable characters, each with different abilities and items;
    • Moonman, who illuminates with a moonly glow;
    • Amphibian, who breathes underwater;
    • Elemental, who detects ore with his antennae; and,
    • The Crusader, who starts the game with full armour;
Example Gameplay
  • Plunder an ancient tomb for Regalia;
  • Net some snails and make Snail Pie;
  • Build a temporary hut from Wooden Planks;
  • Smelt gold into a Plumed Gold Helmet;
  • Find the Knight Doll and unlock the Crusader;

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
EXAPUNKS, a new game by Zachtronics:

ss_d8d2e9ca43db1c4b35ff2abe6d4da473e32bcc29.600x338.jpg

The year is 1997. You used to be a hacker, but now you have the phage. You made a deal: one hack, one dose. There’s nothing left to lose… except your life.

EXAPUNKS is the latest open-ended puzzle game from Zachtronics, the creators of Opus Magnum, SHENZHEN I/O, TIS-100, and more.
  • READ ZINES - Learn to hack from TRASH WORLD NEWS, the underground computer magazine. Tutorials, hacking tips, secret information, searing commentary— TRASH WORLD NEWS has you covered.
  • WRITE VIRUSES - Program your EXAs (EXecution Agents) to tear through networks, replicate themselves, trash files, terminate other EXAs— and leave without a trace.
  • HACK EVERYTHING - Hack banks, universities, factories, TV stations, highway signs, game consoles, the government... oh yeah, and your own body.
  • SLACK OFF - Play ПАСЬЯНС, if you hack the server where it’s stored. Or play HACK*MATCH, if you hack the region lock on your Sawayama WonderDisc. Or create your own homebrew games for the TEC Redshift… if you hack the development kit.
  • TAKE DOWN YOUR FRIENDS - Compete with your friends by running your programs directly against theirs in all-out hacker battles. Make every cycle count.
  • CREATE YOUR OWN PUZZLES - Create your own networks to hack, and share them with the world on Steam Workshop.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Maximum Action, a "brutal and satisfying physics-based first-person shooter influenced by Hong Kong action and other old-school titles." Looks pretty cool:

ss_a3a093b6ddb14230ca424367a31dce03597219df.600x338.jpg

Sandhill Architectures, "a programming puzzle game" where you work as a programmer in 1973:

Farming Simulator 19, for all your farming needs:

Gal*Gun 2, for all your shooting needs:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Lots of free-roam, non-linear "adventure RPGs" set in strange settings these days..

Mayonez, a "dark comedy adventure RPG, set in the fictional Slavic industrial town of Mayonez":

ss_78cbc9e728e7c992fe2450e17c2f0427fae658aa.600x338.jpg

ss_17a9ddeb02ada8830df9e40170708f0192dcf4f0.600x338.jpg

Story and Gameplay
You find yourself in the dilapidated industrial town of Mayonez where you ended up unexpectedly after being used to a comfortable life in the West. Being unhappy with the current situation, you seek your way to the glorious leader’s office. The waiting list is long, but some citizens are willing to hand you their ticket in exchange for help.

These residents all have unique personalities that enrich Mayonez and make it slightly more alive. Characters are almost always eager to talk about the latest village scandals and ask for free help - sending you on quests! Quests can have different outcomes depending on your choices. You can learn new skills through our small RPG system that affects your dialogue choices, making every playthrough a little bit different.

The quests will send you through a non-linear story, with multiple locations such as the city, forest and farms that are always open to explore freely.

gopnik-dialogue-gif_-_Copy.jpg

Slav life is hard life
As the focus is noticeably on Slavic culture, we’ve done a lot of research not just on modern life in Slavic countries, but also traditional customs and folklore. We find that it’s a highly underrepresented group of people that’s barely made itself known globally, so we hope to bring it a bit more attention.

In this world, reality and mythology are closely intertwined. Among regular folk lurk various well-known figures, such as Baba Yaga and Slavic gods.

Stuff you can do and see
  • Complex dialogue options and story branching
  • Hand-drawn and animated world
  • A dark and silly sense of humor
  • Open exploration of Mayonez and its surroundings
  • An array of interesting and unusual characters with unique quests
  • A new take on Slavic culture
  • Cool mini games
  • Lots of mayonnaise!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom