Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I was googling resetera posts that would be particularly funny for posting but they're all so horrible and lame and misguided and authoritarian that I couldn't stomach reading them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Prime Junta I was just wondering where did disappeared to. I was just fighting for your rites mate,i am a bit tired and covered in blood. Those liberals always try to escape,had to chase them.

Prime Junta

No big mystery about it, I've just been vacationing... took a road trip around Europe. Probably not going to be posting much here in the coming week or two either; busy with meatspace stuff. I'm expecting to resume normal services towards the end of the month. I'm itching to get my teeth into Deadfire at least...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No big mystery about it, I've just been vacationing... took a road trip around Europe. Probably not going to be posting much here in the coming week or two either; busy with meatspace stuff. I'm expecting to resume normal services towards the end of the month. I'm itching to get my teeth into Deadfire at least...
Have fun mate and watch out for the diversity. I would recommend you to stay away from the capital cities like Paris,Berlin or London. Only things to see there are museums if you are in that kind of things. Smaller cities and villages are far more interesting,there is quite a few castles around to. The three most beatiful countries are Italia Austria and Czechia. Viena is great this time of year :) .

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I genuinely doubt that at this point Josh is going to leave Obsidian. He seems to have carved himself out a little enclave there, plus as for now Feargus seems to believe him the next MCA. Or at least did. Part of that seems to be his ability to handle/manipulate the fatty ginger in his favor.
How long that will last for who knows.

Partly because Feargus is just bad at reading his audience, and really good at ignoring/taking for granted the company's core audience.
The fat ginger just doesn't seem to get what makes a great game, and keeps trying to turn his company into something it isn't and can't be.
And the reason it can't be what he wants it to be? A good part of it has to do with him.

Quillon

Arcane
Feargus seems to believe him the next MCA. Or at least did. Part of that seems to be his ability to handle/manipulate the fatty ginger in his favor.

Ferg knows what Josh is, jack of all trades designer. Josh somehow convinced them to get the Narrative Lead but I don't think Ferg's dumb enough to think Josh mainly a writer, which is what MCA is.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Josh's had the Narrative Lead position before, and on a major project (Aliens RPG). It was mostly because Avellone left the Aliens team to become the Alpha Protocol lead designer, but still.

Freddie

Savant
Regarding fantasy as dominant setting, I came to think if there are tried and known examples which are copyright safe. Is there are possibility that there are that sort of difficulties in creating space opera sort of setting and adventure?

Near future / cyberpunk appears to be quite clear waters, at least if I think of how many games (in general) are published using those ideas.

Latelistener

Arcane
Maybe Bethesda will buy Obsidian and make Sawyer the studio head.

Feargus will be the Project Director on Fallout: New Orleans, Parker will be the Creative Lead, Fenstermaker will be the Lead Writer, Darren Monahan will be the Lead Designer and Chris Jones will be the Lead Programmer. A dream team no one could stand against.

Then they bring MCA just to throw away all of his work at the end.

:troll:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Come to visit me at Kraków

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Worth remembering that science-fiction is a much newer genre than fantasy.

Wut. No it isn’t (unless you’re reeeeeaaaallly stretching the definition of the genre to include shit like fairy tales and mythologies).

Wut. Yes it is (unless you're reeeeeaaaallly narrowing the definition of the genre to exclude shit that's not Tolkien derivative).

Excluding all of "mythology" seems a bit broad, given that much of it comes to us in the form of epic poetry (Gilgamesh, Illiad/Odyssey, Beowolf, Poetic Edda) or prose works (Mabinogion, Prose Edda, Journey to the West) that can be distinguished from modern fantasy only by the meta-characteristics that their authors (may have) believed them to be true stories of the past, not by the stories themselves. Since fantasy tends to be intentionally incorporating elements of mythology and fairy tales, it seems a bit odd to draw a bright line between the two. (Incidentally Tolkien himself drew no such line and referred to his own genre as being that of the fairy story).

But even granting that blanket exclusion of mythology and fairy tales, (would chansons de geste be fairy stories? would Morte d'Arthur, a 15th century retelling, still be excluded?), it seems a bit unlikely that all authors using fantastical elements before the 19th century were incredulous rubes who believed them to be the literal truth (I doubt Shakespeare was sincerely trying to describe wizardry in the Tempest).

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Weren't Anthony and MCA besties before that whole thing happened? I wonder if that's still true.

Quillon

Arcane
Weren't Anthony and MCA besties before that whole thing happened? I wonder if that's still true.

MCA seems to be willing to burn every bridge there is to see the Upper Management go down in flames. We'll see the next wave of MCA rage next time Obs gets some spotlight/Indiana reveal :bounce:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Feargus seems to believe him the next MCA. Or at least did. Part of that seems to be his ability to handle/manipulate the fatty ginger in his favor.

Ferg knows what Josh is, jack of all trades designer. Josh somehow convinced them to get the Narrative Lead but I don't think Ferg's dumb enough to think Josh mainly a writer, which is what MCA is.

Of course he's dumb enough, Ferg has managed that shit company right into the ground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom