Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The best Build levels were all about realism...
Are you willing to bet that the author only remembered Hollywood Holocaust and Red Light District from DN3D?

Ash

Arcane
Nah it's good. It's just those fricken suicide droids that let it down.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

At PAX East 2018, we hosted a panel called "The Golden Era of Retro Gaming", featuring Pat Contri, Chris King, Robert Workman, Frederik Schreiber and Scott Miller.

Ash

Arcane
Wait, it never clicked that Powerslave was a build engine game. It's good and deserves to go up there with the big three (D3D, Blood, SW) in reputation.

Divinity: Original Sin
Wait, it never clicked that Powerslave was a build engine game. It's good and deserves to go up there with the big three (D3D, Blood, SW) in reputation.

I saw this video a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the best version uses another engine. Is it much better than the PC build version?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
According to the video best version is the Saturn version, which has no PC port, courtesy of lawyers. So basically emulators.

agris

Arcane
Patron
According to the video, the dos version of Powerslave is essentially a different game with different maps, less puzzles and less platforming. It uses an early version of the build engine, and all it shares in common with the saturn and ps1 version is art assets.

the ps1 version apparently has the best geometry and textures, but the maps are simplified compared to the saturn version. That means some areas removed, open areas made closed / corridors, and the I believe he said some puzzles simplified as well.

edit: also, powrslaveXL exists and it ports the assets from the ps1 version.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The versions DFRetro covers in this video are the console versions IIRC (Saturn & PS1, and he did another video about PowerSlave EX which is a PC port of the Playstation version). Those versions are not running on BUILD, they run on the Slavedriver engine Lobotomy Entertainment made and they are basically entirely different and differently structured games.

Unfortunately the PC-version of Powerslave is quite bad compared with the console version, for once.
The PC version (the one I have been praising in this thread) is by no means bad. It's just a completely different sort of game. The console versions are more like a first-person metroidvania/metroid prime sort of game, whereas the PC version is a classic Doom-styled FPS game. I'm really fond of the PC version but it's not without its faults, the original control scheme rivals System Shock 1 in clunkiness and it doesn't really serve good combat. There is a mod you can get which makes it control like Duke Nukem 3D and makes the combat and movement a lot more fun - the only problem with that is that it also kinda breaks some of the levels.

Basically, the original control scheme has super low speed strafing, this means it's pretty much not worth strafing around enemies. The mod increases the strafing speed to make it more like a conventional FPS of the time, but because the levels were designed around the original strafing speed, the speed bonus you get from performing straferunning lets you do some small skips within the levels (you may even do it by accident if you don't notice how tight the platforming is meant to be in some places originally). But it's worth it to improve the combat, as long as you're mindful of it.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I heard they like making feelies: https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1706184517714705200

We heard you like key-cards

42927935f43c0499800a906dffb182ca95267d0a.gif

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
that's a really great gif
but when's the game getting finished
never ever
reminder you paid 20 buckaroos for this "game" and you still have only one level

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ah, about the release date: https://steamcommunity.com/app/562860/discussions/0/1728701877466395395/

terminx said:
We're announcing a short delay until release of a few months (to Q1 2019) soon, because we didn't quite make it to where we needed to be for it to come out during Q3 of this year. We expect the game to be done in Q4 but will be holding the release until Q1 2019 and using the extra time for polishing, because Q4 is a horrible time to release games if you aren't a big AAA developer.

No hiatus, no dev hell, and the game is certainly not on the back burner. It has just taken longer than we anticipated we would need to get it done.

terminx said:
It's only around 3 months after when we initially expected to release the game. We don't plan on spending this extra time to patch more content into the preview campaign--the time will be spent making the full version better and ensuring it meets everyone's expectations.

We're aiming to have a new update for the preview out by the end of this month, though!

terminx said:
Eh... this is an indie side project that most of the team isn't getting paid up front to work on. Considering that the game industry is full of stories of games with actual budgets and payroll being stuck in eternal development hell, or publishers crapping out unfinished releases and ruining what otherwise would have been good products, I am not terribly bothered by having to delay. I would feel differently if we had given a concrete release date, or otherwise made promises regarding the time frame, or if this was something crucial to local or global infrastructure or something, but it's not--it's art.

Steam's Early Access template explicitly asks "approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?" so an approximation was given. There isn't much more to it than that.

terminx is the founder of Voidpoint.

Curratum

Game is SO not done, if it was, they would be releasing more levels as time goes on, which was their original plan for doing EAccess.

Stay tuned for a low-key trainwreck in early 2019.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If there is any sort of delay I am 100% right on it never being finished or being very low on content.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They shouldn't delay out of holiday 2018 to Q1 2019 to avoid AAA games, because there's a FUCK-TON of AAA games coming out in Q1 2019. February especially.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So they have announced a boxed collector's edition for $100, unless you use GOG's code (GOG-B9BWBQ98NZ35) or already own it on steam, that is limited to 500 copies. I grabbed one since I like to support physical media where I can and this looks really good. I'm waiting for the whole thing to come out before playing anything though. Same with Dusk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom