Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Flint

Novice
Phew, Coles haven't lost their touch. Whimsical, funny, kind hearted and an avalanche of horrible puns. Characters are good (it feels great to grate on Sosi's nerves), interactions are surprisingly reactive but true to QfG traditions combat is absolute shit so there is that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol: At least it make me laugh.
222.png

111.png

And this one ;)
3333.png

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The expression on Shawn's face in the second pic is pretty great. He(?) is about to cry from that zinger!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey guys for skillz i found out that you can max train per day up to 5 in lockpicking,perception and sneak. You can spam exam lock in lock room for easy and fast perception. If you train on a locker for an hour after you have 5 skillz of lockpicking it will give you only 1 point. You can read books about magic,charm,moxi,combat and thieving in the library. Training in the relaxation room is a decent way to pump up agility. :salute:

EDIT: You can also get a bonus point of perception if you listen to the door of your teacher. Sooo if you explore the locks to 5 points a day you can get a six if you listen after that.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I found a potential bug in the beta. If you pick a certain chest in the Catacombs, before your evening time runs out and you are forced to sleep, you will likely fail due to its difficulty. However, the bug keeps you in the dialogue window so you could retry it. Every attempt costs you about 10 or 15 minutes of game time, and every four attempts or so gets you a point in tool use. Anyway, I probably picked that lock about 80 times before it popped, and I jumped about 20 points in tool use, which should have resulted in me missing a day of class, but instead the game just treated me as if I went to bed at 1am. So I basically did 20 hours of lockpicking practice in just a few minutes.

I reported the bug, so for all I know its fixed now. :)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now if only there was a bug for sneaking,it is the most annoying skill to level up. Does anyone know where to find a rope?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Finally got time to play the game.

I'm in two minds about it. Really find it entertaining enough but at the same time I'm not sure about the timer.

It has the Quest for Glory charm that I like so much and it is fun talking with the characters, I liked exploring the university, liked more than enough to waste 3 hours basically doing busywork. Right now, I'd would rate it above Quest for Glory 5. I'm enjoying it despite the annoyances, something I can't really say about Quest for Glory 5.

I am just undecided if I like all this busywork the game throws at me and the timer.

I mean, you still have to grind to get your skills up like the old Quest for Glory games but with the timer, you can't just grind at your leisure because of the timer, this is the good thing, the problem is that even exploring and talking with the characters count on the timer and the timer runs FAST, you are exploring and talking with the characters for a little and then you lose all opportunity to train pretty quick. I think it would be better if the timer only counted when you were to do some time consuming activity like training, studying or working, exploring and talking shouldn't be counted.

I don't find enjoyable to be prodded to hurry on a game where you wish to click all things to read the puns and talk with everyone, adventure games and timed action mix well like oil and water.

Right now, I feel very confused about what are the priorities, so you are kinda stuck on a meta guessing game and there is no way to know the exact skills you will mostly need and the time you waste training one, it is time you won't have to train others or build the reputations with the characters.

There is no way to speed time too, so you will have to wait for the game to proceed on its own time, replays will be annoying to do.

The pacing of the game is kinda slow too at the start and the activities you do are more like busywork on the beginning, on the old Quest for glory games, you could go exploring the forest, kill enemies, solve puzzles, do your class quest right from the start, Hero U kinda shoehorn you into doing busywork for training and talking with characters for a few hours before it offer more variety on gameplay, what I feel will hurt replays too.

Right now, I find exploring, talking with the characters and seeing all the Quest for Glory easter eggs entertaining enough to tolerate the annoyances. I'm on the end of the first week and the teacher is already talking of the Rogue of the month competition, I hope the game doesn't make the mistake of demanding certain skill levels and punishing you for not guessing exactly how much you needed.

So far, it was worthy the money but if you are sensitive with timers, you will need to relax and don't try to min max perfectly on the first playthrough to enjoy it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first four Quest for Glory games made time pass only when you when you walked around the world. You wouldn't burn through hours clicking though a dialogue tree. What is so hard about returning to this simple concept.

V_K

Arcane
Right now, I feel very confused about what are the priorities, so you are kinda stuck on a meta guessing game and there is no way to know the exact skills you will mostly need and the time you waste training one, it is time you won't have to train others or build the reputations with the characters.
Lockpicking is the most important one as quite a few interesting areas are behind locked doors. I wouldn't worry about the others though, except one particular case you'll raise them high enough just exploring the dangerous areas. At least that's my experience halfway through. So far the game was forgiving enough that you can just spend a few evenings training if you find yourself stuck.
Also, I might be wrong on that, but so far it seems like all the dangerous areas are sidequests and you can play the game as a straightforward school sim.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Perception is pretty important for finding all the secret doors and loot,but it is very easy to max out. Also all the test/quizzes are retarded beyond believe,you spend all this time training and you get a few muddy questions that have opinionated answers.

Also guys you can freeze the minutes with cheat engine,just scan for exact value of the minute two or three times and it will show up. But be warned that after loading the game it is disabled,it takes a minute do it again.

Hellion

Arcane
Some more minor tips for early in the game:

-There's 1 lyra hidden in the couch at the house in the very beginning of the game.
-There's 5 lyra hidden in the urn next to the guy who's set up shop right outside the Ro...Disbarred Bards classroom. This, combined with the 10 lyra gained by helping out in the kitchen after dinner, essentially allows you to buy the lockpicks for 15 lyra at day 2. You can also gain some low-quality "wooden lockpicks" for free from...somewhere, but I seem to have forgotten where exactly.
-There are 2 daggers ("normal" and throwing dagger) in the wardrobe in your dorm room. Get them so you can go Drat-hunting early in the game, without having to buy the fine dagger.
-Regarding Drat-hunting: if you raise your combat stats a bit, learn Stealth and attack Drats from behind while stealthed in the cellar, you can kill them with one hit most of the time.
-In the first 2 areas of the cellars you can find around 20 empty bottles from searching the racks on the walls. You can sell them for 20 easy Lyras.
-Looking behind paintings doesn't really yield anything early on afaik, but it raises Perception from time to time.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
...aaaand finished it. More or less. There's one thing I didn't figure out (and possibly much more because of that) and would accept explicit spoilers about:
How do you open the door behind the golem guardian?
Detailed impressions to come later.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Press coverage will probably roll out once the game's released. Otherwise many of the links from those articles to the Steam store page will be lost opportunities since there's no purchase option right now.
It's disappointing, but it doesn't look like this is happening. As best I can tell, they sent a key to the Adventure Gamer blog, and he did a pre-release review, but there have been no other reviews since. Not really sure what the story is; I guess it has only been out for a few days, so perhaps next week we'll see something?

Boleskine

Arcane
Press coverage will probably roll out once the game's released. Otherwise many of the links from those articles to the Steam store page will be lost opportunities since there's no purchase option right now.
It's disappointing, but it doesn't look like this is happening. As best I can tell, they sent a key to the Adventure Gamer blog, and he did a pre-release review, but there have been no other reviews since. Not really sure what the story is; I guess it has only been out for a few days, so perhaps next week we'll see something?

Among bigger sites RPS was the only one to announce Hero-U's release. Our very own Codex posted the news, and there were a few articles from other sites:

http://indiegames.com/2018/07/hero-u_rogue_to_redemption.html
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...-creators-is-now-out-with-linux-support.12117
https://gamezine.de/angespielt-tipp-hero-u-rogue-to-redemption.html
(the rest are also German)

The r/Games post got some visibility and comments, while Codex favorite RPGWatch is talking about Hero-U.

I expected more coverage since Hero-U was a relatively high profile Kickstarter project. It might be due to the release date having not been rock solid leading up to release, such that different gaming sites didn't bother to draft release news articles, or due to the long development and declining interest over time. I'd imagine Corey sent Steam keys to many game review sites, but he posted on Kickstarter that he couldn't generate and send Steam keys until Valve approved the game. It seems like a rushed frenzy of last minute beta testing and bug fixing detracted from efforts toward administrative duties like coordinating release announcements with gaming press. Hopefully some of the other bigger gaming sites (IGN, Eurogamer) will eventually review Hero-U.

Last edited:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some more minor tips for early in the game:
You can also gain some low-quality "wooden lockpicks" for free from...somewhere, but I seem to have forgotten where exactly.

If you read the locking book in the library they're hidden in the cover.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Boleskine I'm more surprised by the lack of reviews. IIRC, Primordia had 10 Metacritic reviews in its first week, plus a bazillion smaller tier site reviews. Obviously Hero-U is a much longer and more complex game, but it's weird that as best I can tell, there is only one site that has reviewed it on all of the Internet. :/

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's one thing I didn't figure out (and possibly much more because of that) and would accept explicit spoilers about:
How do you open the door behind the golem guardian?

I asked this during beta testing and Cory said the door was for the next/future games.

My guess was that they'd planned more dark ones stuff, or another dungeon, but shifted it to the next game. Who knows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom