Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13: Instruments of Violence

Crash

Literate
I was thinking of getting back into playing JA2, but run into some problems.

First of all, it's hard to choose what mod to play. Was thinking of Wildfire, but from what I gather from the internet, the development has died years ago and the dev didn't release the latest updated version at all, which is a shame, for it had lots of additional content.
So instead I searched around for other mods and found Instruments of Violence, which also seems to add tons of new content (meaning, weapons, ammo etc).

But then I have problems with said mod too - Does it even have an English version ? If yes, where do I find it ? Google only leads me to version that, as I understand from the not so smooth auto-translation, is a Chinese version. I tried to get in touch with the dev Keka "zwwooooo" Zeng, but so far no reply either.
So has any of you managed to install English version of IoV ? If yes, mayhaps you could be so kind and assist me with said process ?

P.s. And don't suggest asking in the Bear's Pit, botscout.com has deemed me non-existing in meatspace (a.k.a. tagged as a bot), so Bear's Pit is sadly unavailable for me.

Plisken

Learned
jesus why would anyone want to add even more equipment and weapons to 1.13? Its already bloated as it is.

I'm actually trying to figure out the opposite route - i want to reduce, greatly, the amount of items before i play again. If anyone knows how to edit what weapons can be bought, id love to know. Ideally i want to make it so the equipment tables are actually realistic to what you would find in a 90s/early 00s latin american conflict.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was thinking of Wildfire, but from what I gather from the internet, the development has died years ago and the dev didn't release the latest updated version at all, which is a shame, for it had lots of additional content.
There was a method of playing the Wildfire maps in "stock" 1.13. I never tried it, but I don't think it was too long ago I saw a thread about it at Bears Pit, and I did play standalone Wildfire and thought the maps were a lot of fun. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can find it.

Never heard of Instruments of Violence though, sorry.
If anyone knows how to edit what weapons can be bought, id love to know.
The XML editor lets you edit properties and availability of all items IIRC.

spectre

Arcane
Never heard of Instruments of Violence myself. I kinda agree with Plisken about the item bloat.

If anything, 1.13 needs more map variety, and with that in mind, I remember having fun with Urban Chaos because it made lots of sectors come alive.
I think it was eventually ported over to 1.13, but as you already know, finding information about 1.13 and its mods is a bother.

GreyViper

Prophet
Honestly you do not need Wildfire just look for v1.13 that has Wildfire maps. And as other have pointed out most of the new features are in v1.13.
Still playing UC-1.13 hybrid, so far not that many crashes.

Even after all the great additions of the various 1.13 releases, my best experience of the game is still 1.12. The bloat really drags 1.13 down.

Modding is still limited to the same strategic map layout, isn't it? I remember I liked UC a lot and played a while but was eventually put off by navigating the same strategic layout.

zool

Arcane

I'm planning a playthrough of UC-1.13 hybrid years after having played the original UC, I'm glad to hear it works fine. Which version are you playing?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anyone knows how to edit what weapons can be bought, id love to know.
The XML editor lets you edit properties and availability of all items IIRC.

if it does, its not very obvious. I looked through and i couldnt find any entry listing the items and tables for NPCs and so on. Just generic settings.
There are settings about item "coolness", IIRC, that govern at what point in the game they can be found/bought. Setting coolness to 0 removes them from the game. It might be in one of the ini files. Sorry I can't be more specific, I've never done any JA2 modding myself. There are people here who have, though. If you're reading this, modder, feel free to clarify.

GreyViper

Prophet

I'm planning a playthrough of UC-1.13 hybrid years after having played the original UC, I'm glad to hear it works fine. Which version are you playing?
As suggested 2014 Stable 1.13 Release (7435) + JA2_113_UpdateForRelease7435_English_7609. Works quite well not many crashes or strange bugs, like cows having sawed off shotguns.
Only thing id suggest tweaking is the airport fight when you land. It can take a lot of time and the result can be weird, because local militia cant hit for shit and none of your mercs start with weapons.
It does not help that the guy your supposed to give the ticket, to claim your luggage will stop responding until fight is over.

zool

Arcane

As suggested 2014 Stable 1.13 Release (7435) + JA2_113_UpdateForRelease7435_English_7609. Works quite well not many crashes or strange bugs, like cows having sawed off shotguns.
Only thing id suggest tweaking is the airport fight when you land. It can take a lot of time and the result can be weird, because local militia cant hit for shit and none of your mercs start with weapons.
It does not help that the guy your supposed to give the ticket, to claim your luggage will stop responding until fight is over.

Thanks that's the one I was planning on using.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom