Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't hope for unrealistic things, lol. Blizzard didn't manage to resist the temptation of going with 1.12 at the start, so whatever happens in new private servers will happen in the Classic one. Guilds will rush to 60, kill Rag day 1 (or whenever the essences permit) and then clear everything day 1 as well, including Naxx. That doesn't really say anything, though, blazing through the road well traveled is not difficult or noteworthy. What you will also see is guilds controlling the HW/GM standings to gear their warriors. That doesn't really affect average guilds, though, who will still struggle with the content for a bit. We had Russian guilds on Kronos unable to kill Majordomo halfway into the AQ patch, average guilds struggling with 'tough' bosses like Twin Emps and C'thun. So, yeah, every realm will have at least one tryhard guild that will clear content day 1, but that isn't really relevant to the majority of players. When I stopped playing only 4 guilds on the entire realm had killed C'thun.

Even though the "everyone is better now" platitude is popular, it's not actually true and I predict history repeating itself. I.e. only a few people seeing high end content, they might be a little bit more than in original vanilla, but not much more. At least that is what I observed on Kronos and I don't see why it would be different on Blizz's severs. What may be different is new people might be coming constantly, so the game has a chance to not be a desert a few weeks after AQ, but that depends on the popularity of vanilla in general.

Parabalus

Arcane
Even though the "everyone is better now" platitude is popular, it's not actually true and I predict history repeating itself.

I don't think you can appreciate how bad people were - almost the majority of players I would encounter in original WoW were keyboard turners.

Did you see even one on private servers?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, of course. Clickers, keyboard turners, not-moving-out-of-the-fire-s, terrible DPS, terrible healers, even worse tanks. Not clicking and not keyboard turning is pretty basic stuff, and even if people don't do it they might still be bad at actually playing the game. And they are, painfully so. The actions of Blizzard prove my point, had people gotten better there wouldn't have been the need to implement easier and easier raid content/difficulties, culminating in LFR. The toughest content in each expansion has always been cleared only by a tiny fraction of people (like 1%) and the high PvP ratings are even rarer.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't hope for unrealistic things, lol. Blizzard didn't manage to resist the temptation of going with 1.12 at the start, so whatever happens in new private servers will happen in the Classic one. Guilds will rush to 60, kill Rag day 1 (or whenever the essences permit) and then clear everything day 1 as well, including Naxx. That doesn't really say anything, though, blazing through the road well traveled is not difficult or noteworthy. What you will also see is guilds controlling the HW/GM standings to gear their warriors. That doesn't really affect average guilds, though, who will still struggle with the content for a bit. We had Russian guilds on Kronos unable to kill Majordomo halfway into the AQ patch, average guilds struggling with 'tough' bosses like Twin Emps and C'thun. So, yeah, every realm will have at least one tryhard guild that will clear content day 1, but that isn't really relevant to the majority of players. When I stopped playing only 4 guilds on the entire realm had killed C'thun.

Even though the "everyone is better now" platitude is popular, it's not actually true and I predict history repeating itself. I.e. only a few people seeing high end content, they might be a little bit more than in original vanilla, but not much more. At least that is what I observed on Kronos and I don't see why it would be different on Blizz's severs. What may be different is new people might be coming constantly, so the game has a chance to not be a desert a few weeks after AQ, but that depends on the popularity of vanilla in general.
If memory serves it takes at least 2-3 weeks to get the rep needed to hit honored and get the last part of the quest chain, and if you already killed any of the bosses needed for the final quest you're out of luck until the next reset.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If memory serves it takes at least 2-3 weeks to get the rep needed to hit honored and get the last part of the quest chain, and if you already killed any of the bosses needed for the final quest you're out of luck until the next reset.

Guilds cleared everything up to the first boss and then waited for respawns to do it again. I doubt it takes 2-3 weeks like that. I wasn't there for the first few weeks of MC so I couldn't know with certainty, but I'm pretty sure they did it like that for faster rep gain.

Aildrik

Savant
I know it will vary from person to person, but one of the huge draws for Classic will be the nostalgia of going back to those old zones so I personally won't be rushing to 60. Will be interesting to see how much spam there is this time around asking where Kreenig and Makrik's wife are :)

GreyViper

Prophet
Uh uh all that rep grind all over again, like Cenarion Circle or AV to get The Unstoppable Force. I think people keep forgetting how long it took shamans and druids to unlock their elements or animal forms. Expect the whine start with server launch.
I do wonder how many convenience of life changes are going to make in from main game.

Aildrik

Savant
Uh uh all that rep grind all over again, like Cenarion Circle or AV to get The Unstoppable Force. I think people keep forgetting how long it took shamans and druids to unlock their elements or animal forms. Expect the whine start with server launch.
I do wonder how many convenience of life changes are going to make in from main game.

I think the journey was always the charm of Vanilla. Things took more time and you tended to socialize more because, well, in many cases you really didn't have a choice. I think that is one of the hugest hits the game has taken. Yeah, its a lot more convenient now but it might as well be a single player game :( Log in, queue for raid finder, queue for dungeon finder, download auto quest group up addon. I mean you literally can play the game, no matter if it is raiding, dungeons, quests and not say a damn peep to anyone.

Last edited:

Darkman

Educated

I think the journey was always the charm of Vanilla. Things took more time and you tended to socialize more because, well, in many cases you really didn't have a choice. I think that is one of the hugest hits the game has taken. Yeah, its a lot more convenient now but it might as well be a single player game :( Log in, queue for raid finder, queue for dungeon finder, download auto quest group up addon. I mean you literally can play the game, no matter if it is raiding, dungeons, quests and not say a damn peep to anyone.

You have to talk and socialize when doing anything remotely challenging in retail. Mythic plus and raids above LFR all require communication. Even LFR can reqiure communication if you don't have a decent amount of over geared players to carry the group.This is no different than vanilla where you don't have to say a peep for most content.

GreyViper

Prophet

No I get that and I feel it might best work with new people who did not experience start. But having been there, cant say I miss it really. Also recall the mana/spirit system before overhaul. Most casters going OOM constantly, warlocks having bags full of spirit shards and hunters for ammunition. The expanded WoW has its faults, but the convenience of life changes have removed some of the original complaints.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No I get that and I feel it might best work with new people who did not experience start. But having been there, cant say I miss it really. Also recall the mana/spirit system before overhaul. Most casters going OOM constantly, warlocks having bags full of spirit shards and hunters for ammunition. The expanded WoW has its faults, but the convenience of life changes have removed some of the original complaints.

I played in 2006 during end of WoW and start of TBC and it was good but with every new patch and expansion it got worse and worse, they were removing and changing things, so i can only imagine how good was the 2004 WoW.

That's why i'm hyped fro Classic WoW, i will get to play the version which i never managed to play.

Aildrik

Savant
I played in 2006 during end of WoW and start of TBC and it was good but with every new patch and expansion it got worse and worse, they were removing and changing things, so i can only imagine how good was the 2004 WoW.

That's why i'm hyped fro Classic WoW, i will get to play the version which i never managed to play.

Since they are basing Classic off patch 1.12, it should be as it was when you started, not earlier. While it would be neat to see WoW as it existed, for example, right at launch or shortly thereafter I think the 1.12 patch is a reasonable compromise since you get Naxx for example.

Anxious to see what they decide in regards to cross realm BGs. Technically it was added with 1.12, so if you argue for an authentic 1.12 Vanilla experience it would need to be in. I think it hurt PvP. They may want to keep it in since it helped queue times and with less servers (potentially) and a smaller PvP community maybe it won't matter as much.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The game won't launch with all raids open. The 1.12 patch means that class balancing and bug fixing will be at 1.12, which was the wrong choice, but it was the easiest one. I doubt they'll buff the raids to compensate, so it won't be "like vanilla", it will be like a private server. The battlegrounds depend on what they'll choose. Private servers usually wait with releasing AV. As for cross-realm, it will probably be cross-realm.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They should open the servers like now, the current WoW is dead since like 8 years for players who played the earlier versions.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Are they gonna release all the raids at once or have some kind of progression?

idk, i never managed to get to raids when i played it back in 2006 and i had A LOT more time to play, so I doubt i will see raids for the next 2 years lol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I did them all except for Naxx. Some of the raids and the dungeons they released with the new patches made the older content redundant.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It would be nice if classic was more popular than 'main' wow, maybe it would wake up current Blizzard and they would make WoW great again ?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
All the good devs are long gone. Not gonna happen.

That's the thing many don't realize about classic:

Ok so it is released. But will they expand on classic? I have no faith in the current devs based on what little I have read about the current state of WoW.

The more you dumb down a game for casuals, the worst the gameplay will become. It is an inevitable fate.

If Classic remains 1.12 Patch forever, the game may eventually die due to boredom but may be a better fate than trying to go to patch 1.13 and beyond.

Lacrymas

Arcane
But will they expand on classic?

I'm 99.9999999999999% sure that they won't. And I'm not sure why people think they'll leave the Classic realms at 1.12 forever, it's pretty obvious they'll go through the expansions if enough people play on them. If there are like 20 people per realm, they'll just let it die and will indeed remain at 1.12. Kinda like GW1 now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom