Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Tigranes

Arcane
Can't wait to pay for this, Android or PC. Hope that's fully under way.

Silva

Arcane
Aaaaand finished it. Considerably shorter than KoDP main campaign, which is good in my book as that used to drag a bit in the end. Overall loved it and can't wait to try again with a different clan doing different things. It's a clear improvement over KoDP both mechanic and presentation-wise, even if the story feels less epic (which it should be, as this is just the beginning of a new saga right?).

About combat, somehow I began winning battles and never stopped. I think tipping external factors like blessings, ventures, morale and my neighbors fearing me ended up being more important than any discrete option inside battle. The object here then is trying to leverage those factors as fast as possible, less your neighbors do it before you and impose a perpetual cycle of beatings that lead to a functional game over.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
David Dunham

Would you ever consider making a KoDP style game or app about Finland's national epic Kalevala?

The Kalevala mythology is very extensive - in addition to Kalevala there's something like 89000 recorded Kalevala style poems and proverbs recorded that make up the Kalevala mythology. Kalevala stories themselves are also very exceptional in many ways - it's completely devoid of knights and dragon, instead the main focus of the tales is on the struggle between different generations, relations between different tribes and folk heroes. There are some mythological beings thought, like fairies and gnomes and different animal spirits, but they're usually not central to any of the Kalevala stories. The pantheon of Finnish paganism is rich and varied, very similar to Ancient Greek pantheon. Spoken word, songs and poems are what constitutes magic in Kalevala: most epic fights are not always fought with swords, but instead with bardic songs and recited poems. Stories and tales quite literally shape the fates of people in Kalevala. There's a lot of bloodshed in Kalevala as well, so it could be made into an interesting game where violence, diplomacy and knowledge of ancient wisdom would all play an integral part.

I think this would be a match made in heaven. You'd get a lot of support and positive publicity in Finland. :)

I also think you would find a lot of enthusiastic collaborators among Finnish game designers, concept artists, musicians, literary experts etc. You could even take university students as interns and pay them whatever you deem appropriate.

Many Lord of the Rings fans are also nowadays aware of Kalevala, since Kalevala was one of Tolkien's main sources of inspiration. So the game could be very interesting for the Tolkien crowd as well.

Here are some arguments why this game / app could be a financially sensible project:

1. It would actually be very likely that you'd get funding from Finland's Ministry of Education and Culture, Ministry of Employment or other cultural /educational funds if you employed Finnish artists and programmers for the project. You could also apply for the funding even before you start developing the game / app.

2. You could also make the game into an educational app. Your game could be used in Finland's schools for educational purposes. This doesn't mean it has to be boring or historically accurate or anything like that - just that it brings to life the world of Kalevala. You might have heard that Finland has one of the best educational systems in the world and our students are constantly using iPads for studying. I know this because I'm a Finnish teacher by profession. Think about how many copies of the game you could sell to Finland's schools for full price if Finland's Ministry of Education endorsed your game: most children have their personal iPads (provided by the school) from primary school to the end of secondary school. In high schools students mostly use their own devices, but the app could be purchased to high school educational devices (also PCs) all the same. That's potentially nearly a million students.

3. Maybe you could outsource the project. Lease your source code and other assets to a Finnish developer who would then develop the game following the design philosophies of KoDP and 6A. The game could perhaps become a part of an educational franchise owned by A#.

As a teacher, I would definitely use this kind of game to teach Kalevala to my students! Just thinking about students doing heroquests in the world of Kalevala makes by head spin. :)

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
In early 2016, I was reading a Glorantha thread on /tg/ (as one does :lol:) and this caught my eye:

(in KoDP)
>tfw Elmal clans can't have Redalda cultists
>Fix this, Six Ages.

Whoever that person was - YOU'RE WELCOME! :salute:

(found it quite funny how some rando touched on the game's setting without any information released at the time)

David Dunham

A Sharp
Developer
David Dunham
Would you ever consider making a KoDP style game or app about Finland's national epic Kalevala?
It’s been a long time since I read it, but I don’t recall it being very similar to Icelandic family sagas (which would be a much closer fit as they were a direct inspiration). Probably not, especially since our current hope is to make the second Six Ages game.

Always happy to license though!

Silva

Arcane
Curiosuly, after playing KoDP for the first time I've tried to mobilize a bunch of friends to create a Mycenean Greece game using the formula/engine, so Shaewaroz isnt' alone in this idea. Icelandic Sagas, Kalevala, Mabinogion, Illiad, Epic of Gilgamesh. Theres' a lot of potential for exploring real world legends with the engine. :salute:

(though, in a way, KoDP and 6A already look like an amalgam of those legends and tackle some of the same mindsets and themes)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2018/07/interview-with-david-dunham-lead.html

Interview-with-David-Dunham-designer-of-Six-Ages-video-game.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, nice. :D

(not sure that's supposed to be visible, I certainly didn't know about it)
(oh I see, some Japanese poster leaked it on Twitter too...)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, nice. :D

(not sure that's supposed to be visible, I certainly didn't know about it)
(oh I see, some Japanese poster leaked it on Twitter too...)

Nah, it's listed as public (intended or not), and the poster is a bot account automatically posting newly listed pages.

Terra

Cipher
Bah, 2019 is a way off yet, thankfully I've other stuff to play in the meantime.

David Dunham

A Sharp
Developer
For a chart that conveys almost no information, this has succeeded in maximizing confusion by putting the gods' names on the opposite side of the chart from where their colors are. :)
Oops, I was more concerned about getting the colors right. Easiest way to do that apparently reduced usability.

And it would have stood out if one question had no chart.

David Dunham

A Sharp
Developer
I was just being difficult. :) Thanks for the lovely game.
Just wanted to point out that just as in making or playing the game, there are always tradeoffs! Making the gods happy doesn’t always make the people happy.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Without giving too much away, does this game have an end goal like King of Dragon Pass, or is it open-ended and can continue forever?

David Dunham

A Sharp
Developer
The goal is sort of a plot twist. We don’t start the game by telling you to confront your father who turned to the Dark Side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom