Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it sounds pretty cool so far, all things considered, but I still have no idea what makes this an RPG. I wonder if Brad Wardell thinks the originals are RPGs as well.

And I don't think using the aliens was a question of legality from Stardock's point of view. They said they would avoid using them out of respect for Ford and Reiche, and no matter who is in the right, any respect Stardock may have had has long since evaporated.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Of course not, I'm just bemused by how absolutely everything is an RPG these days. I know the meme, but at this point it seems like it would make more sense to ask "what isn't an RPG?"

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.stardock.com/games/article/490013/star-control-origins-prelude-4-of-14---the-mid-spur

Star Control: Origins Prelude 4 of 14 - The Mid Spur

Star Control: Origins is a space action adventure game. You are the Captain of a ship with a mission to protect Earth and explore the galaxy.

From a technical perspective, Star Control is a story engine. We don't generate new quests. Instead, we are looking to populate a deep and rich world with hand-crafted Sci-Fi stories. But we won't be doing it alone. Much of our effort has been to create consumer (i.e. user friendly) apps like Adventure Studio, the City Crafter, and the Ship Designer, so that people can create compelling stories to share.

Of course, our job is to tell the first story: Star Control: Origins itself, starting in 2088. Over the past four years, we've written a lot of stories. And while the main mission might "only" take 20 hours to complete, that is not the end of the story. It's a big galaxy out there. And mind you, this is just our universe. People will be able to travel to completely different universes as well with their own stories and characters. But it is also our hope that fans will want to help flesh out this universe with us over the coming years.

To understand how big our playing field is, let's talk about our setting: Orion's Spur.

This is a recent map of the milky way galaxy provided by NASA. You can see the Sun and Orion's Spur.

Our stories in the Origins universe will focus on a region called the "Mid Spur" which is about the length of "Orion's Spur" in the above diagram.

Below is a zoom-in on the Mid Spur; the orange outline represents the Scryve sector, which is where most of the Origins (1.0) story takes place. This is an immense area (130x130 light years) with thousands of planets, many of which are inhabited with various species.

If you click on the thumbnail above, you can zoom in and see a little blue circled area which is where our Sun is.

Now, in one of our next Preludes, we will start to walk you through how new universes are created, or how existing universes are fleshed out and shared online directly from the game.

cpmartins

Cipher
I don't give a solitary single shit about the fucking lawsuit of whatever.
Here's what I'm gonna do: If any of them delivers a good SPACE FUCKING RPG I'll buy them. How's that?
The original developers took 26 fucking years to get in on this shit. Fuck them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Releasing at same time as Pathfinder and BT4? I will need to pass on this game, maybe 6 months later if it turns out it is a good game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free content packs for Fleet Battle, with an agenda™.

Captain’s Log, 28 November, 2089

We’ve come across a strange crystalline world which looks like it was once the home of strange beings.

Calling themselves the Chenjesu, it seems they resembled nothing so much as ambulatory crystals themselves, who fed on a unique mixture of solar and chemical processes. Peaceful and very intelligent, they could also detect Hyperwave processes naturally, and long sensed the danger of the Scryve Empire. They remained hidden from the Scryve, and once capable of hyperspace travel themselves, slowly moved themselves out of the region and further down the spur, out of the Scryve's reach. Their current whereabouts are unknown.

Introducing the Chenjesu! This pack contains a high quality 1920x1080 wallpaper with brand new concept art and an all-new theme song.

Captain’s Log, 26 September, 2088

How many aliens out there are actually watching us? We're up to two or three now, and we've barely left home.

On the doorstep of our own solar system we were approached by an alien vessel filled with what can only be described as 'little green men.' Calling themselves the Arilou Lalee'lay, they have apparently been watching humanity for a long time. They claim to have some sort of bond with us, though they are for now reluctant to explain exactly what that bond is. Friendly, but a bit condescending, they also seem to be almost purposefully mysterious. Conversations with them can get a bit tiring.

Enjoy the Arilou soundtrack from Star Control II as well as the Star Control: Origins edition of the Arilou theme both composed by the original lead composer from Star Control II! There is also a high quality 1920x1080 wallpaper with brand new concept art.

Captain’s Log, 16 June, 2089

We’ve encountered a species of polite and accident prone little critters called the Mowlings.

They’re amongst the friendliest beings we’ve yet met in the galaxy, and could make great allies for us. Though they’re not necessarily the most advanced. Also they have a… peculiar religion, revolving around the fervent worship of a massively powerful alien. A massively powerful alien called Jeff.

I suspect we’ll need Jeff’s permission for a lot of things we have planned for the Mowlings.

All hail the mighty Jeff! Feel just like a Mowling with this special DLC pack, which contains a high quality 1920x1080 wallpaper with brand new concept art and the audio track for the Mowlings’ theme song.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Recently trademarked by Stardock:

lG94Td5.png

Old and busted: Using alchemy to turn lead into gold

The new hotness: Using YOLO legal tactics to turn trademarks into copyrights

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Store pages are delisted, I guess they don't supposed to have own store pages.

Anyway:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1683668420903922651

Get ready to fly: Beta 3 for Fleet Battles releases today!

Pilots, to your stations!

Fleet Battles just received another massive update and we can't wait to see you online to try it out.
We've added some new alien ships, devastating new weapons, new maps, a new feature called scavenging, and more.
Buckle up - it’s time to fly!

For full details on the updates, view the changelog at the bottom of the post.

TOP CHANGES IN BETA 3

New Ships

Arilou Observer
Now you see them...and now you don’t! The Arilou are a race of green-skinned aliens who admit to having been watching the human race for a very long time. Creepy.

This orb-like ship is fastest-moving and has a limited close range, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t dangerous! The Arilou Observer can use its cloaking device to stay hidden from its enemy, choosing the opportune moment to reveal itself and strike. Its primary weapon, the octomator, fires in eight directions at once, so aiming is totally optional!
[steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net]

Kzanti Intimidator
Not all aliens want to make nice, and if the mine-field in the battle arena is any indication, the Kzanti are not your friends!

That ship of yours would fetch a steep price on the black market, but it'll sell even better in pieces. The Kzanti Intimidator is a fierce ship with a high speed and tight turn rate that drops proximity mines as its form of primary attack. Its repulsor will also damage your ship and push you away from the Intimidator in order to give it enough time to get away.
[steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net]

New Weapon Components
  • Cloak: Surprise! Catch your opponents off guard with temporary invisibility and wait for the right moment to move in close and strike.
  • Octomator: Aiming? What’s that? Fire off a short-range but powerful blast in 8 directions simultaneously.
    They’ll never see it coming!

• Repulsor: Back off! Deal some damage and push enemy ships away from you, giving you time to
    escape or line up your next shot! Heck, if you're lucky, they'll just happen to crash into a mine or something...
  • Proximity Mines: Better MINE-D your step (see what we did there?)! These mines will explode
    on any enemy ship that venture too close.
  • Salvage: Show off your magnetic personality! The latent salvage ability lets you easily
    collect nearby wreckages to power up your ship.

New Feature: Scavenging

Battle Arenas now are littered with wrecks from destroyed ships. Each match will start with a random number of wrecks, and each time a ship is destroyed during a round, it leaves another wreck for the next battle. The bonuses will not only apply to the ship that collects it, but to your entire fleet! Collect as many as you can early on to gain a huge advantage over your opponent.

Scavenge these wrecks for bonuses:
  • Yellow: Acceleration
  • Green: Crew (Health)
  • Red: Energy Regeneration
  • Blue: Speed

Other Improvements

Camera system updates
The camera has been adjusted to better accommodate more obstacles. Also, off-screen enemy ships are marked with an arrow so they can't sneak up on you.

Cool end match screens
Detailed end match screens with battle stats from the match

New Maps
Callum's Deep: Battle around a mysterious dark star with negative mass
Maelstrom: A large map with lots of planets and massive asteroids. Athara: A distant star system with exotic worlds

Other
Improved MP performance
AI vs AI mode
Hit Tab to highlight your ship on screen
Updated fonts and UI polish

Haven’t gotten into Fleet Battles yet? Pre-order here to join the beta today!
Or, add us to your Steam wishlist.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

We’ve been working really hard on the development of Star Control: Origins and are excited to show it off!

Please enjoy some of these bonus screenshots from the game and let us know what you think. See you online!

f651bb3dca16f0f52c1482dd8d37b297c5ae30ec.png

8e213ca52ed45d631a1d7ebc866ba3a74c2556cd.png

6b5347b2c8989739ba250911940d62a4c1756dbc.png

ffab7fb830195a97b1f4fdf8352ad0d09cc9d203.png

a08239ddc8a338f61500cb7b67b6151a01f6e14b.png

We didn't want you to have to wait until the game releases: get access to special included DLC right now!

These new pieces of downloadable content are available to anyone who has pre-ordered the base game. In addition to concept art and lore, each content pack features new music by Mason Fisher and Riku Nuottajärvi, an original composer for Star Control II. Many packs will also feature the original alien tracks by Star Control II composer Dan Nicholson.

Alien DLC Packs

The Arilou™
Captain’s Log, 26 September, 2088

How many aliens out there are actually watching us? We're up to two or three now, and we've barely left home.

On the doorstep of our own solar system we were approached by an alien vessel filled with what can only be described as 'little green men.' Calling themselves the Arilou Lalee'lay, they have apparently been watching humanity for a long time. They claim to have some sort of bond with us, though they are for now reluctant to explain exactly what that bond is. Friendly, but a bit condescending, they also seem to be almost purposefully mysterious. Conversations with them can get a bit tiring.
01e00c56ff95fc2cfd89f0c98a9f60c054e2f633.png

Download DLC[www.stardock.com]

The Chenjesu™
Captain’s Log, 28 November, 2089

We’ve come across a strange crystalline world which looks like it was once the home of strange beings.

Calling themselves the Chenjesu, it seems they resembled nothing so much as ambulatory crystals themselves, who fed on a unique mixture of solar and chemical processes. Peaceful and very intelligent, they could also detect Hyperwave processes naturally, and long sensed the danger of the Scryve Empire. They remained hidden from the Scryve, and once capable of hyperspace travel themselves, slowly moved themselves out of the region and further down the spur, out of the Scryve's reach. Their current whereabouts are unknown.
cea2a7fce1f7387a272ae94ad6aa8e90429b2985.png

The Mowlings™
Captain’s Log, 16 June, 2089

We’ve encountered a species of polite and accident prone little critters called the Mowlings.

They’re amongst the friendliest beings we’ve yet met in the galaxy, and could make great allies for us. Though they’re not necessarily the most advanced. Also they have a… peculiar religion, revolving around the fervent worship of a massively powerful alien. A massively powerful alien called Jeff.

I suspect we’ll need Jeff’s permission for a lot of things we have planned for the Mowlings.
e1965a44584057c7a0e55e48731ddc453a5c3e47.png

DLC included in purchase of Star Control: Origins; Steam validation required.

Full changelog here:https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1760230157505622532/

Cael

Arcane
Recently trademarked by Stardock:

lG94Td5.png

Old and busted: Using alchemy to turn lead into gold

The new hotness: Using YOLO legal tactics to turn trademarks into copyrights
If you believe that the bastard is being an asshole and a criminal fraudster, stop advertising his shit. Stop pushing drugs.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Wow, they trademarked "demigod" and "clairvoyance"? Surprised they didn't trademark "human" and "spaceship" while they were at it.
It seems that copyrighting of common words has some legal tradition already. I could never understand how that's even possible, all the corrupt lawyers in world shouldn't be able to make it a thing but here we are.

Also why is it in RPG discussion? Even developers describe it as "a space action adventure game" as far as I see and it even sounds correct - that's exactly what the original SC2 was after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Also why is it in RPG discussion? Even developers describe it as "a space action adventure game" as far as I see and it even sounds correct - that's exactly what the original SC2 was after all.

Lately they'd been consistently calling it an RPG in updates: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ing-september-20th.85318/page-15#post-5712754

But if they stop, maybe I'll move it back.
The rules are clear:
The Final Frontier. If it's set in space, it over-rules all other factors because Space > All, therefore post about it in here.
This game is set in space, so it belongs in the space games forum. Whether or not it is an RPG should not be relevant.
This blatant deviation of the Codex' stated rules is triggering my OCD, plz fix.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's aliens: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...-prelude-5-of-13---the-aliens-of-star-control

Star Control: Origins Prelude 5 of 13 - The Aliens of Star Control

For most people, Star Control: Origins will be the first Star Control game they've ever heard of. But long ago, back in the DOS days, there was a trilogy of Star Control games.

The first Star Control game was essentially a Space Wars style game with a strategy layer. There wasn't really any "lore" with it. The second one, my favorite, was Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters. This game was filled with an epic lore that dated back over a quarter million years. The third one, Star Control III: The Kesari Quadrant, took its own direction, which many fans have since come to not care for.

When we began working on Star Control: Origins we had the challenge of deciding what was and wasn't canon in the Star Control universe. Ultimately, what we decided was to make Star Control a multiverse. Thus, Star Control II took place in what we call the Ur-Quan universe. Star Control III takes place in the Kessari universe, and Origins takes place in the Origins universe.

95732e78-834e-4974-b44e-790b8914f486.png

Early concept of the Xraki

a6fb2863-190a-4db8-9ec5-7cca8edb74ce.png

Star Control: Origins main cast as originally conceived. Many of the aliens and ships have gone through a great deal of iteration since then.

Alien Pipeline

The first step in creating an alien was to brainstorm different shapes as seen below.

The artists would sketch hundreds of alien ideas for the designers to choose from.

The next step was to start playing around with color. How would they be expressed to the player?

272e23f3-b4da-4137-9c48-0a95a5e9075e.png

Then sketches would start to be made

Then more sketches

Then we start to pick out aliens we might want to run into.

The Measured, the ultimate bureaucrats

Very often, we would get all the way through and decide that an idea just didn't work out. The Measured is a great example. Look at the Measured above and then The Measured in the very first screenshot. They originally were much more human-like with eyes and all. But we ultimately went in a very different direction.

And sometimes, we'd finish it all and decide they just didn't fit.

The lead writer, Chris Bucholz, would dream up many different alien species that might fit in Star Control. He'd sketch up a description of what their character was like. Then the art team would come up with many many options for those characters, and eventually something would get picked. Then it came time to finalize what they'd be called. Sometimes, names would get thrown out late in development because we'd discover that we had too many names that sounded similar (Farewell Dan'Nath, hello Xiraki!). But in most cases, the lore would be the first step, sketches second, and then naming last.

For example, as we begin our adventures, the galaxy (or our part of it) is in turmoil. There are a number of vast criminal organizations out there. One of the main organizations is now known as the Kzanti, who are entirely new to the Star Control multiverse. They weren't given a name until this Spring (and we almost recycled the Dan'Nath).

Similarly, there is also a vast spy network that operates in this part of the galaxy whose influence we are only beginning to grasp. In Galactic Civilizations III, we had the Onyx fill this role. For Star Control: Origins, once it was decided that the Star Control alien names were going to be used, they were branded as the Melnorme. This way, we could make fans happy and support the story's needs.

A Melnorme idea that ultimately got assigned to the Trandals.

The Criminal network of the Kzanti

Jeff

One of our favorite aliens is Jeff. You'll be hearing a lot about him and he went through many iterations as well.

Early concept for Jeff the alien.

In Star Control: Origins, the Earth is under threat of imminent annihilation and we needed a way to give humans a fighting chance. Thus, we needed a cryptic, Vorlon-like species who would help the humans benefit from the Precursors' left over technology without being active participants in the coming conflicts. Thus, the Arilou's appearance in the game.

955e2b44-65f6-4be8-adc7-2b7be56c8033.png

Another Jeff concept!

Sometimes the call goes out with a vague description. For example, when when we needed an alien that looks like "little green men" from Sci-Fi tropes we got these sketches back:

We need little green men stat!

Once we settled on one, we refined it. When it came time to give them a name, reached into the Star Control name vault and thus was born...

The Arilou

The WHAT-IF scenario

Since it was important that Star Control: Origins not be able to affect the continuity of the Ur-Quan universe (or the Kessari universe) we've taken great pains to make it obvious that the Origins universe has had a very different, somewhat darker, timeline.

This way, hard-core fans know that we aren't touching the classic canon and mainstream Star Control fans can be satisfied that the Star Control aliens haven't been forgotten.

It has also allowed us the freedom to create a 250,000+ year lore surrounding not just the Scryve sector but much of Orion's spur. Hence, we get bits like the Scryve battle masters from thousands of years ago:

Concept of the Scryve from the Faction of Eight wars (about 8,000 years ago)

In the Origins timeline, there was the Eternal War many thousands of years ago. WHAT-IF that war affected the dimensions above and below what we call "true-space" in Origins? How might it have affected the histories and destinies of those species that lurk out there?

Early concepts of the Commander

Homages

As discussed in the last entry, our story focuses (for now) on the "Mid Spur" region of Orion's Spur of the Milky Way galaxy. This means that we have many years ahead of us to introduce new aliens to the Star Control multiverse as well as reintroduce the Star Control aliens with our own vision and lore of how they developed.

But for those who are absent, we will be making Star Control alien music available as DLC as originally composed and in most cases, remastered by the original creators. This way, the new generation of Star Control fans can appreciate the game's 30 year heritage.

For every alien you meet, there are a dozen that didn't quite make it

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Similarly, there is also a vast spy network that operates in this part of the galaxy whose influence we are only beginning to grasp. In Galactic Civilizations III, we had the Onyx fill this role. For Star Control: Origins, once it was decided that the Star Control alien names were going to be used, they were branded as the Melnorme.
So what I'm getting from this is that Stardock isn't using the actual "Ur-Quan universe" aliens, but designing their own and then slapping original alien names and visual characteristics on their creations at random. Which begs the question: what the fuck?
Quoting myself from the Ghosts of the Precursors thread:
As per Stardock/Wardell again:
The Star Control aliens are associated with Star Control. That doesn’t mean Stardock can use expressions and stories of those aliens without permission. But it does mean Stardock has the right to create its own stories and expressions for the Ur-Quan, Spathi, etc.
So Stardock is allowed to use the aliens from SC1/2, but they're legally obligated to remove everything that characterizes said aliens? This sure is shaping up to be a great spiritual successor!
I thought I was just making a joke....

Since it was important that Star Control: Origins not be able to affect the continuity of the Ur-Quan universe (or the Kessari universe) we've taken great pains to make it obvious that the Origins universe has had a very different, somewhat darker, timeline.

This way, hard-core fans know that we aren't touching the classic canon and mainstream Star Control fans can be satisfied that the Star Control aliens haven't been forgotten.
Quite. What the fuck is the difference between hardcore and mainstream SC fans? Did Bethesda buy the franchise and churn out a bunch of first person shooters while I wasn't looking?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ships: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...ins-prelude-6-of-13-the-ships-of-star-control

Star Control: Origins Prelude 6 of 13: The ships of Star Control

Not all ships are created equally. This is particularly true for the ships of Star Control itself. In the year 2088, the United Earth Advanced Space Vehicle Program (UEASV) had done its best given the politics involved. But ultimately, what Star Control starts out with is a ship with very much the capabilities that a ship in 2088 would have, which is to say: it can... turtle around the solar system.

The first long-range ship program - the Vindicator program - was designed to allow the ship to be frequently updated with new modules. Because the ship was designed to handle technology from different nations such as the United States, China, Russia, Japan, Germany, France, Brazil, etc. the interfaces are remarkably flexible.

Ironically, this need for flexibility has also made the Vindicator class well suited for plugging into alien technology that arrives...

The early concepts for the Vindicator and Earth Cruiser took inspiration from many real-world and science fiction sources. There are nods to Star Trek, Space 1999, and of course, previous Star Control games. Our main focus was to make ships that would look and feel like ships that might actually exist by 2088.

For the Vindicator itself, we went through a great deal of consideration for this:

Early on, a lot of effort was spent coming up with different pieces that would make up the ship as you upgraded it.

The idea was that by the end of the game, your ship would look substantially different from where it started, but also still be somewhat recognizable.

More Sketches

The Vindicator Prototype

For the Cruiser, we ended up with this design:

Only Earthlings are crazy enough to put nukes on a ship. We just like them so much.

For alien ships, we tried to throw out all preconceived notions as to what an alien ship might look like.

The Mu'Kay early concept

Other ideas for the Mu'Kay

The Scryve went through many different concepts

We would find other places for some of these ideas.

It was important that the ship and the alien species felt like they went together

The Scryve's primary weapon is a big, overpowering but inflexible death beam that matches their species and cultural background. Strong. Powerful. Unmovable.

By contrast, the Drenkend are basically cannon fodder for the Scryve. They simply throw themselves enmasse at the enemy.

The Drenkend are just battle fodder for the Scryve

Making sure every ship was instantly distinct was central to their design.

A space ship is an extension of a civilization's cultural heritage. This meant that we couldn't simply just draw up cool ships in a vacuum. They had to be matched with what that civilization is about, including weapons.

Nothing makes that clearer than the Mu'kay:

Mu'Kay ship ideas that weren't used

A civilization that lives in water and brings water with them is going to have a different design language than, say, humans with our love of nukes and lasers.

With humans, we always knew we'd have something like this:

But we didn't think aliens should have ships that look like that. Our ships look like they do because we humans have a number of unique (in the Star Control universe) attributes, including our adoption of using explosions for engines (ICE), explosions to propel bits of metal, and explosions for making even bigger explosions (nukes). Not to mention, explosions for showing explosions (Michael Bay). Our civilization is very good at utilizing explosions.

By contrast, a civilization that developed an early understanding of gravity and how to manipulate it would likely take a very different path:

Xraki ships manipulate gravity in battle and have absolute mastery of gravitational manipulation

But not just a single ship...

Of course, it wasn't enough to just have one ship per civilization. If we're traveling through a living universe, one would expect many different types of ships.

Below are some examples of ships from the Scryve.

And next we have ships from the Drenkend:

These have both a gameplay purpose, as well as a way of deepening the Star Control lore.

On the gameplay side, we wanted to have tougher and tougher ships to encounter if you went deep into enemy territory. We didn't want to rely on "you now must fight 10 of the same ship in a row," to make it tough. Early on, for example, the player will encounter pretty wimpy Scryve ships. But later on, things become more challenging, and of course the weapons are more exotic.

A means to an end

Ultimately, the ships of Star Control are extensions of that alien's civilization. Star Control is designed not just to be a space RPG, but one in which the universe itself feels like it's alive and has been alive since before humans decided to get out of the trees.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not sure this will be any good because Stardock.....

....but there are no other new space games being made currently, so playing this will feel filthy

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More aliens, agenda aliens, including the final form of Origins Infinitron: https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...e-7-of-13---the-aliens-of-star-control-part-2

Star Control: Origins Prelude 7 of 13 - The Aliens of Star Control Part 2

In one of our other dev journals, we showed the pipeline of how aliens came to be in Star Control: Origins. The process started with the artists and the writers working in parallel. The artists would sketch up lots and lots of alien shapes, and the writers would design the history and lore and roles of the aliens. From there, the process would begin to merge to ensure that the final alien visual expression matched up with the lore for them.

Today we're going to begin walking you through how the Star Control aliens that appear in Star Control: Origins were developed.

Do you have enough Jeff in your life?
We first have to separate the difference between a character and a species. In the classic Star Control series, there was Fwiffo, the character and Spathi, the species. For the most part, Star Control: Origins focuses on species but there are also a few characters and one of our favorites is Jeff.

Ironically, as far as I know, Jeff's species is not revealed in Star Control: Origins. I won't spoil Jeff's personality but you can get an idea of what he looks like and how he evolved.

First, you have the inkblots:

Which led to...

And...done? Nope, because we decided that this design would be used in the future for a different alien species. So it was back to the drawing board for Jeff, because Jeff...isn't biological. We also wanted to move away from bipedal forms.

Jeff became more abstract.

And, finally...

In the case of Jeff, his evolution wasn't tied to whether we "liked" the artwork or not, but rather how well it fit with his role in the story.

The Knowers of Knowing
The need for the expression of the alien to match with their role in the story sometimes requires a redesign of species already associated with Star Control. For example, in part 1, we talked about the need to have an alien that would appear how we would expect an alien to look. The Roswell style aliens have become a bit of a trope in recent years, as even Stargate SG1 appeared to have taken inspiration from the "this is what aliens are supposed to look like," concept to develop the Asgard:

Little.Green. Friend.

Early sketch of Arilou

Originally, we were going to keep the Star Control aliens from the classic trilogy separate from the new Star Control games. Unfortunately, a great deal of confusion arose as to whether Star Control: Origins is associated with the classic Star Control games (the answer is, yes). So while Star Control: Origins is a reboot, ala the recent Battlestar Galactica series, it is related to classic Star Control games.

For the purpose of our story and lore (and because we can't expect most people to be familiar with 25 year old DOS games), the Star Control aliens have somewhat different histories, which fans of the classic series can understand because this is a different universe.

In the classic Battlestar Galactica series, Cylons were actually an empire that went to war with the humans in retaliation for the humans interfering with their conquest. In the reboot, the Cylons were machines that had been originally built by humans and later rebelled.

This brings us to the Melnorme. In the classic Star Control series, the Melnorme were a one-eyed species of information traders with a specific homeworld. For Star Control: Origins, we went through a lot of iterations design work for the Melnorme and how they relate to the larger plot of the Mid Spur region of the Milky Way.

The Melnorme in Star Control: Origins are a species of spies who are about the size of your fist, and developed in a very low gravity environment. But how do you depict that?

Like with the Arilou, the artist was only given a description of the Melnorme which started out as Orange, One-Eyed, Size of Fist, Spy race, Low gravity world.

And now the journey of the Melnorme...

Doesn't look like a spy.

Too scary.

It's afraid!

It's a robot!

It's crazy

Gravity is too strong here.

Gravity is too low. Plus, star child. And he's naked.

Better.

Then the question comes up...why would he only have one eye? And we realized that this element didn't make sense. The reason was fan service (the Melnorme in SC2 had one eye). But wouldn't a species that evolved to be excellent at spying likely be extremely good at seeing?

And so, the Star Control: Origins Melnorme.

Fan service is a tricky thing. On the one hand, we knew that some fans would want the Melnorme expressed how they were in Star Control II.

Kwayne's version of the Star Control II Melnorme.

But there are two issues with trying to have the Melnorme expressed similarly to how they were in Star Control II. First, we don't know who owns the copyright to that version of the Melnorme, other than that we don't. While fans like Kwayne can create fan art of the Star Control II Melnorme, in a commercial game like Star Control: Origins, one does not mess with copyrights they don't own. Secondly, we have to make sure that the aliens serve the story and not the other way around. For example, the Star Control II expression of the Melnorme worked great in SC2, but there has already been criticism that too many of the Star Control: Origins aliens were "cute."

Computer Aided Aliens
Sometimes, you have symbiotic species that are made up of multiple species. In Star Control II, there was the Zoq-Fot-Pik. These were actually three species that worked together. In Star Control: Origins, there are species that have adapted a symbiotic relationship with technology. This isn't the first time that's happened in a Star Control game even as the Chmmr were the result of a symbiosis. But we only had time to really develop one of these species for Star Control: Origins. And so we have the Trandals...

Which became...

At this stage, the direction was that the technology was supposed to be symbiotic, not as a use of it.

This design went too far the other way (looked too much like he was literally holding an iPhone).

This design ended up going for a different alien species in the future. The Trandals aren't lazy.

At this stage we were also trying to make sure players didn't think Star Control: Origins was intended to be "cute". The Tywom are cute. The Trandals are not.

Much better. The Trandals.

The Commander

We couldn't end this journal without talking about the Commander. She's gone through a lot of iterations. Her design would affect everything else, which is why she was first. I shouldn't say "she," because even that had to be decided in the beginning.

The first question is, what is Star Control...within Star Control? The organization called Star Control is an international organization tasked with the defense of Earth and exploring the solar system (and later, the galaxy). So what would the people who worked there look like?

Eventually the team decided that the Commander should be female. From there, it came down to how she would be expressed:

Relatively early on it was decided that humans by 2080 had figured out tech to reverse aging. There was a lot of discussion on how to depict that.

No species, let alone character, went through as much iteration as the Commander.

Early on, we weren't going to have lip syncing, so the thought was to put a helmet on her.

Once we decided to bite the bullet and develop real-time VO lip syncing, she changed to look more like this.

As you can see, very early on, the white streak was in her hair to indicate that she was in the process of de-aging.

And so we had our Commander.

But what looks good in a sketch doesn't always translate well when in the engine.

Even with all the work fully modeled and rigged, we kept iterating.

Too cute.

Better.

In game.

Was it worthwhile to re-design the Commander? Let us know in the comments. We'd love to hear your input.

These aliens are just the tip of the iceberg of what we've been working on for the past 5 years. Most people don't realize just how much time, effort and passion goes into creating just one of these species or characters. It's a labor of love for us that we hope shows when you play the final game on September 20th, 2018!

That's it for now! More next week.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
But there are two issues with trying to have the Melnorme expressed similarly to how they were in Star Control II. First, we don't know who owns the copyright to that version of the Melnorme, other than that we don't.
The fuck? :lol:

Lots of good new profile pictures for you here though, Infinitron :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom