Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I played ALBW a couple of months ago and it was excellent. The first of its kind since the Oracle Of... games.

spekkio

Arcane
Could you try if Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate / Rites of War work on this? They were BITCH to run on XP.
Well, I don't have Rites "handy" (on HD), but I can test CG.

Game installs fine:

IA7bTAw.png

And runs.. slow (after patching with 1.2 Patch):

7Gw4Qas.png

af57tvQ.png

I was worried, since I've upgraded my Win98 installation to DirectX 8.1, but the game doesn't crash. It's just slow AF. It's either problem with my rig being too slow for recompiling shit, or Pentium 166 + 1024x768 internal is too much.

Anyway, I got shot by some Cultists during enemy turn and the game didn't crash, so the infamous "cultist bug" isn't present in Win98:

OZXUNud.jpg

7wDbiwH.jpg

Over and out:

QUAdFne.png

:oops:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
can confirm that, with today's july 21st build of RPCS3, tales of xillia now is playable (it wasn't for me a few builds ago):

toxrpcs3-01.png

i assume this means all other tales games are too since they all use same engine, including PS3 tales of vesperia with Fan-Patch english translation (it's on nico blog).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so i heard via the RPCS3 discord that YUZU the switch emulator can now run octopath traveler, although obviously not at full speed, but playable for those who can tolerate 10-15 fps (game is 30fps normally).

i wanted to try it out and download two different ISO's of the game but the emulator only supports decrypted Switch roms, similar to how Citra operates, and I can't find anywhere to download a decrypted image/rom of the game.

the only links i could find, of which there are many, is to download an encrypted form of the game "xci" which is equivalent to the CIA format for 3ds games and only plays on jail-broken switch hardware. if anyone else also wants to try it out let us know and also PM me a link if you manage to find one.

EDIT: I did obviously search further as obviously yuzu roms must exist and i did find xci converter/decrypting program but it requires MinGW installed and requires that you "make" it. I'm too lazy for that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
how do people not get bored of the Tales Of combat? The side-combat in Phantasia was way more fun from what I remember.

Finally managed to find Nier: Replicant (jp with English subtitles). I've always been interested in this game and I liked Nier: Automata. It seems to run pretty well in RCPS3.
2018-07-223cker2.jpg

Runs fine at 4k and looks much cleaner, obviously:

2018-07-229e7cmq.jpg

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone tried Eternal Sonata or Resonance of Fate on RPCS3 lately? The site's compatibility list doesn't label either as playable but neither have been updated in months.

spekkio

Arcane
Tested Resonance of Fate (U) on rpcs3-v0.0.5-6550 (later version introduce stuttering in Dragon's Crown for example) and it won't load. :(

rpcs3-v0.0.5-6550 (later version introduce stuttering in Dragon's Crown for example)

I thought it was impossible to get rid of all audio stuttering - I'm playing Dragon's Crown and enjoying it, but the suttering is really annoying (doesn't always happen).

I'll try using this version. What options are you ticking?

spekkio

Arcane
I just checked if it "runs". On my rig it's unplayble (3-10 FPS).

But on recent build it's around 1 FPS. :lol:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tried Resonance of Fate myself. It boots, gets to the main menu, but once you start a new game and the intro movie finishes it goes to a black screen and no further.

:negative:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the audio stuttering in RPCS3 is a bug, eventually it will get fixed it's just an issue with the CELL threads not being perfectly handled

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fired up Dragon Quest VIII on pscx2. Runs pretty good. DX11 renderer with 4x resolution, x16 anisotropic filtering, FXAA and shaders. (i5 - 3.30GHZ, 8GB ram, GTX970, win7-64)

I had to use the wild arms offset hack to remove some text artifacts. Apparently you also need to use the skipdraw=1 and sprites=round hacks to fix some minor shadow and fmv problems.

The game looks great.

CDzm93V.jpg

cceD7zZ.jpg

tfsOviF.jpg

vMO0ALq.jpg

rENguwA.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I tried it on an i3 7300, i.e. my previous CPU. I never found it comfortably playable, but recent builds have made massive performance upgrades for Persona 5 so who knows how it runs now. For me it would run at 10-15 fps in crowded areas and at full speed during battles, but like I said this was with now very old builds of around 6 months ago, so my data is essentially useless.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you used the OpenGL renderer, you won't need a workaround for the shadows in DQ8.
You should always be using OpenGL, unless you're using AMD on Windows due to bugs and very poor performance.

7BkdHVU.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you used the OpenGL renderer, you won't need a workaround for the shadows in DQ8.
You should always be using OpenGL, unless you're using AMD on Windows due to bugs and very poor performance.

7BkdHVU.jpg

opengl makes these weird lines appear on the border of the screen:

FKvBj7N.jpg

They're more noticeable the higher you up the res (mine is x4) but that's one of the main reasons I'm using pcsx2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm waiting for MelonDS emulator to add high-resolution support in order to replay Dragon Quest 9. It already runs games with A LOT better accuracy than Desmume, all it is is missing right now is resolution multiplier.

Does MelonDS display the Dark Spire map correctly? I haven't played it since I actually had a DS because emulators didn't render the map correctly, but it's been awhile since I've tried.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

7BkdHVU.jpg

opengl makes these weird lines appear on the border of the screen:

FKvBj7N.jpg

They're more noticeable the higher you up the res (mine is x4) but that's one of the main reasons I'm using pcsx2.
PCSX2 has all kinds of issues when it comes to upscaling these blending effects, you'll find at best they get more and more offset to the upper left as you scale upwards.

You'll find that border is still there on your DX11 screenshots - just less visible because less stuff is being emulated.
If you set the skipdraw to 1, the border with OpenGL will look similar but you'll get to retain a shadow, albeit a lighter and sharper one.

Ratchet and Clank 3 for example is a game where that scaling to the upper left gets really bad if you use non-native resolution.
xQR1Ku4.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Is there an alternative for PS1 emulation that isn't ePSXe? I hadn't used ePSXe in a while but I tried it out a game some days ago and god it is such an awful emulator.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Is there an alternative for PS1 emulation that isn't ePSXe? I hadn't used ePSXe in a while but I tried it out a game some days ago and god it is such an awful emulator.
There is Xebra if you're on windows. Haven't tried it myself though. And I don't know if it's based on ePSXe or not (or however one should interpret 'an alternative but not ePSXe').

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom