Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Terra

Cipher
Is it true that in older versions of the game you created a captain character/player character? A pity they scrapped this feature, even though I understand the reasoning behind it(keeping said captain alive would be a huge challenge).

What were other removed features?
Definitely the weakest aspect of the game for me and a real immersion breaker, I hate it here like I hated playing a disembodied capitan in (the otherwise excellent) Expeditions Conquistador. I just find it hard to believe any of these bands would respect a captain that sits on the sidelines and never fights.

Barbarian

Arcane
And level scaling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand the game doesn't currently have real level scaling. Rather the difficulty of encounters, missions and enemies seems to be tied to a mix of days played and renowm.

I have had playthroughs where the first crisis began at day 60 and playthroughs where it happened on day 120, for instance, depending on how agressivelly I played. Not a good system by all means, but better than real level scaling I suppose.

Barbarian

Arcane
Is it true that in older versions of the game you created a captain character/player character? A pity they scrapped this feature, even though I understand the reasoning behind it(keeping said captain alive would be a huge challenge).

Definitely the weakest aspect of the game for me and a real immersion breaker, I hate it here like I hated playing a disembodied capitan in (the otherwise excellent) Expeditions Conquistador. I just find it hard to believe any of these bands would respect a captain that sits on the sidelines and never fights.

Naming a captain who is replaceable(i.e: just name another if the first one dies just as in the tutorial) does seem quite reasonable. I also dislike having a main character who is not represented in the game, this was the single most solid improvement Vikings had over Conquistador.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Can't you just pretend one of your starting Bros is the Captain / You (and ignore the texts where you tell something to yourself - or roleplay a schizo) and end the campaign when 'The Captain' dies?

Barbarian

Arcane

Can't you just pretend one of your starting Bros is the Captain / You (and ignore the texts where you tell something to yourself - or roleplay a schizo) and end the campaign when 'The Captain' dies?

We can, yes, but it would certainly be better to actually have a captain with a function on the battlefield. We also don't need a game over if he dies, just choose a replacement. Certainly fits with the narrative at the start of the game.

Fargus

Arcane

I was disappointed just as you, i hate that shit. I remember players asking for the leader character, but the devs were pretty stubborn about it. Despite people on the forum suggesting ways to make it happen.

"Oh nah we make the game with permadeath, we wont do it blah blah blah deal with it". Someting along those lines.

Fargus

Arcane
Just use the save game editor to customize one or more of the starting bros

Don't need a save editor to rename a merc or use a barber (BB plastic surgeon). Save editor is useful if you want to change something other than that, like how unique armor or weapon on merc looks, item stats, character background etc.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I remember players asking for the xxxxxxxxxx, but the devs were pretty stubborn about it. Despite people on the forum suggesting ways to make it happen.

BB development in nutshell.

And level scaling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand the game doesn't currently have real level scaling. Rather the difficulty of encounters, missions and enemies seems to be tied to a mix of days played and renowm.

I have had playthroughs where the first crisis began at day 60 and playthroughs where it happened on day 120, for instance, depending on how agressivelly I played. Not a good system by all means, but better than real level scaling I suppose.

It is combination mostly of levels but also some other factors(as items)and other stuff with renown supposedly not affecting it(as stated by devs but who really know). It lead to some sudden difficulty spikes(especially on Expert) when it is advisable not to level to fast as you are stuck with lesser equipment where enemy not.
It was not only tested by me but also by some other players9through it could be outdated info as I did not touch game in long time).

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm fine with captain not fighting. I'm not some larping faggot after all.
What i miss is the paymaster and his chest - true heart of mercenary company.

Covenant

Savant
I remember players asking for the xxxxxxxxxx, but the devs were pretty stubborn about it. Despite people on the forum suggesting ways to make it happen.

BB development in nutshell.

At a glance that sounds like an unfair exaggeration but it actually really isn't. I remember people asking for an option to disable/skip the tutorial (probably because it often takes a few rerolls to get a map that isn't full of shitty islands), and the dev response was basically 'Meh, tutorial only takes a couple of minutes, why bother?'.

It hardly speaks of a great amount of pride going into their work at that point.

I'm fine with captain not fighting. I'm not some larping faggot after all.
What i miss is the paymaster and his chest - true heart of mercenary company.

Having the captain exist in battles but in a non-fighting role seems a good compromise between the disconnect of 'Captain vanishes when battle starts' and the problems of the captain actually dying in a battle. Preferably he'd be doing something more manly than cheering from the sidelines; fuck, let him intermittently fire a cool ballista or cannon or some shit. Then you can add in a neat side-system for upgrading it as the game progresses.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah. Captain should be a normal fighting dude like everyone else, just like he is in the tutorial. If he dies, the guy with the most seniority takes over, and he stays a normal fighting dude like everyone else. Doesn't even need new powers or anything, maybe he wears a sash or something.

I guess it wouldn't really add anything to current gameplay, but it would take away the stupidity of "you" being "the magic invisible floating eye". Really the way it is now feels like you start with a captain and then you just have a bunch of leaderless dudes. Maybe they listen to an eerie voice that comes out of nowhere and obey it blindly. Actually if they played that up it would be hilarious.

Barbarian

Arcane
Nah. Captain should be a normal fighting dude like everyone else, just like he is in the tutorial. If he dies, the guy with the most seniority takes over, and he stays a normal fighting dude like everyone else. Doesn't even need new powers or anything, maybe he wears a sash or something.

I guess it wouldn't really add anything to current gameplay, but it would take away the stupidity of "you" being "the magic invisible floating eye". Really the way it is now feels like you start with a captain and then you just have a bunch of leaderless dudes. Maybe they listen to an eerie voice that comes out of nowhere and obey it blindly. Actually if they played that up it would be hilarious.

Well they should at least make it as in Conquistador where the captain has stats and actually influences things, even though he is incorporeal and doesn't take part in fights. As it is now the nonsense is really strong. Aside from the occasional text blurb mentioning you as this "captain" figure he isn't represented in the game at all. Not even a measly portrait+name combo in the inventory screen just to showcase he exists.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think they wanted that laptop guy feel, but kinda hard to make it work in a medieval setting. Though, it says that you get brutally wounded in the beginning of the game, reason why you isn't fighting, but commanding troops instead.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they wanted that laptop guy feel, but kinda hard to make it work in a medieval setting. Though, it says that you get brutally wounded in the beginning of the game, reason why you isn't fighting, but commanding troops instead.
I approve of weak handwaving, but this is feeble. As you say, in a medieval setting it just doesn't work to have a guy on a headset miles from the action issuing orders.

vota DC

Augur

You still have the sergeant after some time.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The majority of mercenary captains I've researched didn't fight much. It's not exactly good for the health of the band when the leader dies. From the leader's perspective, being dead is bad for business. Most mercenary companies instantly dissolved into banditry after such a death, which they were barely one step above to begin with even with a leader. A captain leading a company the size of a BB troop most likely would fight here and there. Though the scope of the game in general is condensed so that's an argument of its own.

I'm ambivalent about the matter. It'd obviously be cool and could open a host of gameplay mechanics of its own (build a risk-taking fighting captain or one who commands, have its own unique skill trees, etc.). Maybe for BB2.

Ranarama

Learned
The majority of mercenary captains I've researched didn't fight much. It's not exactly good for the health of the band when the leader dies.

"Look, I'd like to pay you mercenaries, but my contract was with your leader, so looks like you're out of luck..."

sser

Arcane
Developer
The majority of mercenary captains I've researched didn't fight much. It's not exactly good for the health of the band when the leader dies.

"Look, I'd like to pay you mercenaries, but my contract was with your leader, so looks like you're out of luck..."

More like the group of men whose sense of order already rests on a knife's edge totters right off it and they turn into marauders that start pillaging. The energy of mercenaries or even slave armies is unbound, at best constrained within how satiated they are either with gold or women or booze. Good mercenaries frequently become full of excellent fighters as they literally do nothing but fight, which then makes them extremely dangerous even to those who hire them. Or even those who enslave them as was the case with the Mamluks and Janissaries.

Most mercenary tales I looked into basically went something like this, "Thanks for hiring us. By the way the second anything goes tits up or we get bored or you look the other way we're going to start plundering anything we can get our hands on. Happy to be onboard!"

gogis

Scholar
I enjoy tutorial. Every single time.

Problem with this game is that they decided to not make it into an actual game and stopped at mercenary simulator v0.1. I would make sure to pirate their next game and write bad review just to being a dick.

They occasionally stepped on a gold mine and for some retarded reason decided to not mine it. Cardinal sin in my eyes. Atleast Turks keep going with M&B and we are probably gonna get a glorious mercenary sandbox for next decade

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://battlebrothersgame.com/beasts-exploration-dlc-announcement/

blog_header.jpg

‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC Announcement

We’re very excited to announce that we’re working on a full-sized DLC for Battle Brothers. Yes, you heard that right – there’s going to be a real and meaty expansion with fresh content coming for that game that you like. The name of the upcoming DLC is going to be ‘Beasts & Exploration’.

That’s a pretty telling name, and as it suggests, the focus of the DLC will be on introducing new beast opponents in order to bring more variety to every stage of the game, and to make exploring the world more interesting and rewarding. But that’s not all!

Here’s the list of major features you can expect:
  • A variety of challenging new beasts populating different parts of the wilds. Each with unique mechanics and loot.
  • A bigger world to explore, full of unique hidden locations throughout that offer new possibilities and rewards to the daring adventurer.
  • Trophies from slain beasts that can be crafted into charms, potions and other items to customize the look of your hardened mercenaries and benefit them in combat.
  • New contracts that have you engage in profitable beast hunting, exploration and more.
  • New weapons, tools, shields, and armor to equip your men with.
  • New paint items that can be used to paint shields and helmets in the colors of your company.
  • Lots of new events.
  • New music tracks.
In addition to these major features, the DLC will also include countless smaller additions. Just like in the past, all the major points and most of the minor ones will be explained in detail in future dev blogs as we go along, so you’ll always know what we’re working on and why. We expect to be working on this for several months and will announce a release date and final feature list once we’re closer to the finish line. We’re also making good progress on our new game, and will continue to work on it in parallel.

Alongside the DLC, which will not be free, the game will also receive a sizable free update. This update will contain a whole bunch of improvements and balancing changes, as well as some minor content additions.

Join us next week for our first dev blog on the new DLC, introducing a terrifying new opponent!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom