Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Pleasure RPGs?

howlingFantods

Learned
Know you all like to think you have irreproachable and rarefied tastes, but let's be honest, beneath that veneer of prestige you harbor a secret love for an absolute stinker (at least I hope you do, otherwise this is going to be embarrassing for me). So let's hear it. Also feel free to try and justify your forbidden love or whatever.

Ok here goes mine:

Oblivion
justification: It was my first open world RPG okay? I was young. Forgive my nostalgia.

Runescape
justification: first MMORPG. Idk... I just wanted to get filthy rich in an actual virtual economy (this was before they messed up the trade system [for those who know]). I actually learned a lot of important life lessons this way. Like how to avoid getting "scammed". (And how to scam for that matter). I'm young. Shoot me.

Breath of Death VII
justification: The soundtrack. Also sort of Chrono Trigger-ish combat if I remember right.

Honestly there are probably many more, but I'll continue to repress them for now.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
None.

I haven't played that many RPGs to begin with. I used to like Skyrim. A few years ago I would uninstall the game only to reinstall it days later, literally, but it must have been two years since I last felt the need to reinstall it, and have never looked back since.

Closest to a "guilty pleasure" I have is thinking New Vegas is one of the best RPGs I have played, and most definitely the best I could have played... had it been an isometric RPG with turn-based combat. For all I care, people who think otherwise are truly retarded and have shit taste.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Well, I haven't started playing it yet...but I did grab "Shroud of the Avatar" a month or so ago, with hopes the offline single-player mode will have a few nostalgic Ultima moments... Or at least be better than Ultima IX.

I will never, ever EVER play a MMO...I deal with people in real life, I game to be ALONE

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Path of Exile. And several other diablo2-clones, they're all about repetitive grind in the end, making them bad games - the main thing going for them is that they're addictive. Still, I like them so I suppose it fits.

The issue with liking Oblivion is not that people like it. Anyone can like whatever the hell he wants. The problem starts when one starts to claim that it's a good game because he likes it, and for some reason many people are unable to accept that they might like something of poor quality.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Got it on sale dirt cheap years ago and played for 1-2 hours a day for several weeks. While it is mediocre and delves into "a lot of wasted potential" territory, I really dug what it could have been. Fate/class gimmick was good enough, story was easy to follow (or ignore) and it didn't get in the way, factions were a joke and so were most quests. But combat was entertaining enough for semi-console popamole trash.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm guilty pleasure for me would be something that is not particularly good for me but I enjoy it nonetheless
In this case then games like Skyrim & Fallout 3 they are like junk food games; something to play while relaxing after a hard day’s work, where my brain is on standby, I don't want to do something too complicated and just want to do some crafting, collecting some materials or a simple quest or two
I have to say I enjoy them for all their vanality and shallowness but with a fee mods the very best world building and interesting locations (Bethesda’s specialty) comes through for enjoyable dumb but fun gaming sessions

Egosphere

Arcane
None, really. I uninstalled Oblivion after 1 hour; gave up half way in Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins; spent a few hours on Skyrim and never picked it up again. All of the games that are considered popamole decline on the codex never really gripped me

Ash

Arcane
None. All the WRPGs I like, Codex Consensus also likes. All of the WRPGs I hate the codex also hates, sans the storyfaggots here.

An exception would be some JRPGs, which codex mostly doesn't approve of. But that's probably more out of ignorance than anything as JRPG can be very diverse, while many just assume they're all the same animu puke braindead dumbed down basic turn-based cutesy crap.

mondblut

Arcane
Ishar and Ravenloft games are pretty abysmal as far as traditional RPG virtues are concerned, but I harbor a soft spot for them.

also, oblivion and fallout 3 are always fun with loverslab mods

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Who needs loverslab, when you can play:

A dance with rogues,
A dance with spies,
Gladiatrix
Demonheart

?

Seriously though, A Dance with Rogues Part 1 was one of my most enjoyable cRPG experiences of the last several years. A great urban, nonlinear adventure with a lot of sneaking, hiding in shadows and backstabbing, a power curve taken from Gothic (you begin as a complete weakling, but can lay havoc in the endgame).

Too bad the great scenario falls apart in part 2.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Path of Exile. And several other diablo2-clones, they're all about repetitive grind in the end, making them bad games - the main thing going for them is that they're addictive. Still, I like them so I suppose it fits.

The issue with liking Oblivion is not that people like it. Anyone can like whatever the hell he wants. The problem starts when one starts to claim that it's a good game because he likes it, and for some reason many people are unable to accept that they might like something of poor quality.
I remember you saying that action RPG is the less prestigious genre. Now I can see where it came from.
:hmmm:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I think that Sword Coast Legends is possibly the best RPG to be released in the past five years.

Yeah, it's not the awesome tool box for creating your own RPGs that the makers claimed it would be, but I still really enjoyed playing it.

Gameplay_1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom