Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
defend.jpg

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You'd have to be one of those homotional phaggots from NMA that shoved a Fallout: 1 disc up his ass to think Fallout: 2 is a bad Fallout game. It's the best game of the series. New Vegas would be goat, but the combat system really holds it back.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Define bad.
No, I don't mean your beyond useless arguments on why you think FO2 is bad. Define the term bad.
You don't like it? Something something aesthetical and artistic merits (*cough * ... pompous asshat ... *cough*)? No immershun? Or what?
And do you think it's just a bad Fallout sequel because the tone is different or a bad CRPG in general.
What would be a good CRPG in your opinion? And why should anyone care that you deem good?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Define bad.
No, I don't mean your beyond useless arguments on why you think FO2 is bad, I mean define the term bad.
NzKJAbb.png

The combat is bad.
The art direction is bad.
The pacing is bad.

You can enjoy the game despite these things, but if anyone really wants to sit here and tell me that the combat, art direction, and pacing of the game are good, than we have a fundamentally different perspective on what makes a game enjoyable. As for other things that I personally think are bad, I didn't really experience any dialogue or world building elements that really gripped me and made me interested in the game. I read all about how UnderRail was a game for combat-fags, and I was instantly hooked on the games setting and lore. On the other hand, all I heard about Fallout were people praising its dialogue and setting, and I for the life of me couldn't get interested.

That's what's bad about Fallout 1 & 2 mate, I'd love to hear a reasonable argument against any of these points.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
The combat is bad.
Not really, no. It's not monocled or anything and it's kinda broken but it's fun with all the gore. The only thing that is indeed bad are fights with lots of NPCs. Waiting for all their turns to finish is annoying.

Subjective. And no, it's not, you just got shit taste is all.

The pacing is bad.
Bullshit. The pacing is fine, enough town hubs and all of them have their own little social dynamics and arc of suspense. It's like half a dozen or so interlocking short stories, and the way they flow into each other and connect the different areas is pretty damn well done (like the NCR - New Reno - Vault City affair).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Not really, no. It's not monocled or anything and it's kinda broken but it's fun with all the gore.
Fun with all the gore? This is a great example of people defending something because they like it versus using logical arguments. Is it possible to like Fallout's combat system? Sure, but pretending that there is something wrong with someone that dislikes it is retarded. You even admitted yourself it's broken. There are countless RPGs that have better combat systems than Fallout. If your only defense of it is "the gore is fun", than you might have some form of mental retardation. I watch MMA or I browse reddit if I want to see gore, I don't stare at the same fucking death animation for the 100th fucking gecko I've killed.
Subjective. And no, it's not, you just got shit taste is all.
Everything is "subjective". FO uses the same shit color palette throughout, with little to no variation, and is an absolute eyesore. This combined with the shit buildings that are literally just squares and rectangles makes the game a steaming pile of shit in terms of art direction. Maybe you like it. Maybe you're a fucking retard.
Bullshit. The pacing is fine, enough town hubs and all of them have their own little social dynamics and arc of suspense. It's like half a dozen or so interlocking short stories, and the way they flow into each other and connect the different areas is pretty damn well done (like the NCR - New Reno - Vault City affair).
The pacing from the starter village, to Klamath, to the den, was absolutely fucking shit. The fight with those two brothers with the Brahman was garbage, the fucking Gecko quest was impossible, and the random encounters were absolutely fucking horrendous later in the game.

The most important criteria in a game is whether or not it's actually fun enough to keep me playing. FO 1 & 2 look like shit aesthetically, have broken combat systems which make combat an absolute chore, and the pacing is at the very least problematic early in the game. That's just grazing the surface, because I didn't see anything special when it came to either the dialogue or the setting of FO 1 & 2 either; which is perhaps an even bigger issue than the combat and art style of the game.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Not really, no. It's not monocled or anything and it's kinda broken but it's fun with all the gore.
Fun with all the gore? This is a great example of people defending something because they like it versus using logical arguments.
Dunno about you, but for me "I like it" or "It's entertaining" is a logical argument for wasting my time on a computer game.
And it's not just the gore, experimenting with skills and weapons is also fun. Not balanced but fun.

The rest is subjective. I love the music and the color palette is fitting for a postapocalyptic radioactive wasteland. All together this creates a certain mood or atmosphere. Which is sometimes at odds with the goofy popculture references but still fits most of the story so it's not as tone deaf as some people here make it out to be.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Dunno about you, but for me "I like it" or "It's entertaining" is a logical argument for wasting my time on a computer game.
I don't have a problem with people saying they like FO 1 & 2, it's whenever people claim that you have shit taste for not liking it that I question either their integrity or their mental faculties.

Risewild

Arbiter
You'd have to be one of those homotional phaggots from NMA that shoved a Fallout: 1 disc up his ass to think Fallout: 2 is a bad Fallout game. It's the best game of the series. New Vegas would be goat, but the combat system really holds it back.
Actually, it was us, over at NMA. that sent him here after getting tired of his troll attempts in there.
Also I am pretty sure 99% of NMA regulars like FO2, so I have no idea what you mean by your comment.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 2 got boring extremely quickly and I spent a lot of time trying to push past that boredom, wondering what the hell was wrong with me. That is of course until I realized that Fallout 2 and Fallout 1 are probably shit and the Codex is filled with a bunch of NMA shills that will fanboy/defend a game regardless of all the completely valid flaws people bring up.

Wha-

Oh.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Appeals to how long a person has been on the Codex is about as beta male as it gets. Imagine hiding behind something as autistic as how long someones been around to make an argument.

laclongquan

Arcane
I actually dont want to respond to OP because he's too boring and uninteresting in this trigger thread. Worst, he doesnt even play the game sufficiently and just repeat stuffs other people said to prove his own. Still, there's things that need to be said despite it's said plenty of times before. Like the need to beat someone like a redheaded stepchild~

3- Broken combat system. Aside from being broken the combat has some more serious flaws. The encounter design is the worst ever. Mark my words when I say that there isnt a single memorable combat encounter in the whole game, aside from the last boss which requires tremendous amounts of grinding to defeat. The non-premade fights are all dull and follow a similar design pattern. Its always 1 named NPC with a character model slightly different from the rest of his copy pasted guards. The amount of guards is just too damn high, you simply cannot enjoy killing a certain NPC the way you want, you have to cheese the fights to be able to take out the mob of guards. For those who played Fallout 3, imagine if Mr. Tenpenny was surrounded by 10 guards with miniguns, would you still be able to enjoy decapitating him and tossing his remains off the balcony?
F2 combat system has some serious problem but it's not broken. Broken is defined as nonfunctional, but anyone who play F2 can get by just fine with it.

If you havent passed any memorable combat encounter in the whole game, it means you got a serious problem as a player. Let's list a nongeneric encounter (not special)

You pass a map with a cave on the cliff. Sometimes that cave is just a shallow depression, and that map is a single map. Half of the times that cave is a rat nest and you can kill some easy stuffs for easy xp and cheap loots. And that rare 5% chance when you got a deathclaws cave and you get killed because you are too incautious not too look ahead. IF that type of map doesnt get your heart pumped everytime it appear on the screen, you got a weak heart.

4- Unbalanced random encounters. The random encounters met when traveling the world map are arguably the worst aspect of the game. None of them are enjoyable or contributes anything to the game other than xp and loot. Combat somehow feels slower than F1 and is extremely tedious even on fastest speed. Note that it isnt rare to stumble upon virtually unwinnable fights that require a reload. Many times you will get 1 shot on the first round before you can even act. Even when you manage to escape its still very tedious since you often need 2+ turns to reach the exit and you face multiple enemies that all have enough APs for 2-3 actions. Typical encounter : a bunch of farmers (3-5+) getting attacked by a bunch of raiders (3-5+), so lets say 10 units acting 2-3 times and triggering 20-30 animations for 2 turns, thats an average of 40-60 NPC actions that you need to slog through just to reach the exit tile. And those encounters are very frequent. The game teaches you to save scum in order to travel.
You complained like a noobs playing game for the 1st time. Random encounters are there to break the silent travel from one town to another. It's necessary filler. No game is without it. Get over it and get used to it!

As for your specific details. I have two concepts for you "Outdoorsman" and "Forced Start". You can find ODM skill books fairly easy, read them. And when RE map start loading, press Enter repeatedly to Forced Start combat on your turn, then run away. DO it again when you are out of turn to run away again.
In other words: play the game, not reading others' complaints and repeat it like a noob.

5- Terrible quest design. The quest design is where F2 crashes and burns. It simply is the worst of the series. The game is filled with uninteresting fedex quests offering no moral ambiguity. It is always a matter of 'yes or no' rather than 'right or wrong'. More often than not both the player and the character dont give 2 craps about the outcome of these quests because they are devoid of relevant consequences. If you read the wiki, and I am not joking, the large majority of quests begin with words like 'get', 'deliver', 'retrieve', 'collect', 'kill', etc... Very often the quest giver straight up tells you exactly where you need to go and what to do and leaves little to no room for the player's intelligence to be useful. The quests lack the interesting alternative solutions that F1 had, it very often boils down to doing exactly what you were told with no relevant consequences, or you get an out of place evil option.
Again, play the game instead of reading wikis and other people's experience and think that can substitute for actual playing. You want fucking different endings depend on your action you can try Fixing the ghoul's reactor quest in Vault City, which is fairly early in the game. its consequence can lead down to the ending of the game regarding the fate of VC and Gecko towns. Hell, you can try an even earlier quest, resolving the conflict in Modoc and Ghost Farm ghoul community. Or the racial conflict in Broken Hills. OR the choosing of which mafia family in New Reno you can join. etc... and etc...

The examples you choose show you didnt play the game very much if at all. What you did is play, at most, about barely reach Modoc, then quit. Then you read other people to cherry pick things to "proof" your bullshit ideas.

9- Karma system is broken. Just for grinding fedex quests and not selecting the obvious psychopath option each time your character slowly becomes a goody two shoe. The game forces you into some ridiculous C&C, you often have the option of just doing what you were told or pick an unjustified evil option. Like the quest that turns you into a messenger boy/ambassador between 2 towns. You get the option of playing the fedex role or turning the 2 towns against each other for no RP reason. There is no neutral ground (Ignoring the quest triggers the war). Worst part is that I only did those quests for the rewards because I needed caps to progress the MQ and never really cared about them, yet they defined my character as 'good'. As a result you get locked out of content given by evil NPCs in a game already very limited in content.
Again, this show your level of comprehension. NCR and Vault City is at Cold War status. VC suspect NCR is behind the raiders' attacks due to their high level of trainings and weapons, but have no CONCRETE proof to their ideas. If you dont intervene into the chainquest, then Cold war erupt into Hot war, in ending slide. If you intervene into it with good result, so the war can be avoid, then it's good karma to you whatever your motivation.

As for Karma, people's dialog change if you are very evil or very good. If you are not bothered by dialog, then get ready for squad of bounty hunter after your evil ass once you kill a child.

10- Talking heads are dull , most of them use copy pasted assets like 4 out of the whopping 13 total heads are simply metal helmets. Fallout 1 had 21 talking heads and there simply isnt a single talking head in F2 that can compare to those in F1. These NPCs mostly speak with a bored and monotoneous voice.

You certainly never have the pleasure of talking with First Citizen Lynnette in Vault City, whose divine dialog drive most players into rages and fantasy of grudge fucks.

7- Lack of exploration value / bland world design.
12- Overwhelming amount of parodic and immersion breaking content....
Make up your own fucking mind! Either there's nothing in the world to explore, in which case point 12 get invalidated. or There's a fuckload of things (overwhelming amount of content) to explore that dazzle your feeblemind.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
How many hours have you sunk in to a game you obviously hate, you raging retard?
None. He cruised the wiki and his ignorant spewings pretty much confirms it.

For example, claiming that he needed caps when he reached Vault City is pretty hilarious.

Cael

Arcane
The combat is bad.
The pacing is bad.
1. That is your opinion. I find combat to be pretty fun, and oftentimes hilarious. There isn't many other games that allow you to shoot someone in the groin and make a snarky comment on it.
2. And it is acknowledged in-game. They had resourcing issues with FO2, and they did a take-that and lampshaded it.
3. What pacing? FO2 isn't a linear game like Diablo, boy. You do what you want, when you want and if you go to areas intended for higher levels, you die. The mobs don't level with you like the Bethesda shit you are no doubt intimately familiar with.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh look at that, first 2 posts by alts of brain-dead retards who were afraid of being ridiculed for their stupidity on their main accounts.

Everything is "subjective". FO uses the same shit color palette throughout, with little to no variation, and is an absolute eyesore. This combined with the shit buildings that are literally just squares and rectangles makes the game a steaming pile of shit in terms of art direction. Maybe you like it. Maybe you're a fucking retard.

Or maybe, you're just a shitbrain with no taste.
And considering how you fap over new shit games I'll assume you're also a newfag shitbrain with no taste. Though of course the edgy conservative kind to get some points with the other conservatards here.
How about you kill yourself or get some balls and post with your original account.

The examples you choose show you didnt play the game very much if at all. What you did is play, at most, about barely reach Modoc, then quit. Then you read other people to cherry pick things to "proof" your bullshit ideas.

It was already proven he didn't play the game.

The Fallout 2 quests are more complex and interesting than anything in Fallout 3. And that's a fact.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Other than the fact he is from fucking Hollywood and is therefore genetically predisposed to up-his-ass-ism, I don't really see a problem with that
Here goes:
0)Good ol' Codex tradition at its finest
1)Fucking Hollywood
2)I'm simply tired of all sub-20/20-something "muh-RPG-gamers", who can't appreciate old games due to, more often than not, stupid reasoning (muh-graphics aka "art direction", muh combat is clunky and I cannot into it and so on).
Maybe I'm wrong to discredit a person based on rather bland reasoning why F1 and F2 are bad, but then again, first impressions are like that

Ranarama

Learned
I'm starting to think mfknggrfll has been hired by Bethesda to enhance their ability to shit on their old games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom