Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell me CRPGs to play from beginning to end

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I have a rough-draft write-up that I haven't published. I love Warband, and its mods.

I'm writing about The Witcher at the moment. I have a love-hate relationship with the game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finn Willoughby is a role-playing game lover, in his early 40's, who has been playing games since the age of 12. He decided to blog his gameplay journey as he navigates the genre from past to present.

While not playing CRPG's, he enjoys watching and coaching sports, hiking, watching movies and eating--often times too much.

lol'd.

So gripping.

If old man Octavius is wrong and this guy doesn't quit, I'm sure his blog will eventually take the crown.

2 blogs post in 2017, tells me the blog is going nowhere fast

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Are there any more CRPG blogger, other than the ones below?

Baxander (The CRPG Fanatic), 2 blog post, likely dead in the water
The Weary Adventurer, 2 blog post, last year, 100% dead in the water
CRPG Addict, still going strong, you have to give him that
The RPG Consoler, second to the addict in his dedication
CRPG Revisiting old classics, chugging along, not quite dead yet
Blogging Ultima, the classic (although finished long ago), I wish there were more blogs with such single-minded dedication
CRPG Adventures, this has some interesting stuff

Jazz_

Arcane
Told you so. :smug:

Bax is too busy playing real incline to be bothered with Grimuar.

7wNu9js.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Actually a blog of somebody playing everything from Arena to Skyrim (incl. Redguads) could be fun, especially if it was somebody who loved Skyrim, and then slowly realizes how streamlined and hollow the series has become

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a rough-draft write-up that I haven't published. I love Warband, and its mods.

I'm writing about The Witcher at the moment. I have a love-hate relationship with the game.
Maybe you should try the Age of Pirates series next, if you can handle the Russkiness of it all.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Maybe you should try the Age of Pirates series next, if you can handle the Russkiness of it all.

Are they RPGs, though?

A few blogs have popped up in the last year, trying to cover Renaissance RPGs. But they were quickly pulled from being Indexed by Google.

Google crushes blogs that don't have King Content. It's easy to start a blog; much harder to get Google and other search engines to like it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My yearly output is as follows:

Year / number of write-ups:

2014: (37)
2015: (45)
2016: (69)
2017: (62)
2018: (46) as of August

Total write-ups: 259

Now, look at crpgaddict (whom I don't compete with because we cover different eras):

2010 (160)
2011 (157)
2012 (105)
2013 (147)
2014 (127)
2015 (107)
2016 (96)
2017 (122)
2018 (78)

Total write-ups: 1099

I've only posted one quarter of what he has, yet I suspect that I have over half of the audience that he has in half the time (really, a quarter of the time, because I have only been semi-serious for 2 years).

Anyway, I don't know how he finds the time to blog so much. I guess "addict" is apt.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Anyway, I don't know how he finds the time to blog so much. I guess "addict" is apt.

Several of his posts have suggested that he doesn't necessarily get much in the way of sleep as he stays up to ungodly hours playing CRPGs. That strikes me as the behaviour of someone who is absolutely an addict. His job also seems to involve a lot of commuting, which he seems to only use for work or RPGs. I wouldn't be surprised if he had no other hobbies or interests.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
He is older, too. Probably doesn't drink and party much. Also, he has a wife.

Yosharian

Arcane
Not a CRPG, but did you ever play the original Dungeon Keeper? Fantastic game, and very playable on modern systems using KeeperFX.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A few blogs have popped up in the last year, trying to cover Renaissance RPGs. But they were quickly pulled from being Indexed by Google.

Google crushes blogs that don't have King Content. It's easy to start a blog; much harder to get Google and other search engines to like it.

Especially when Blogger and blogspot.com are owned by Google itself. :roll:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Blogging seems like an echo chamber for lonely people.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest to enjoy RPG's.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Especially when Blogger and blogspot.com are owned by Google itself. :roll:

I'm talking about actual rankings. Getting indexed is easy but ranking highly in indexing is not easy because you are up against already-indexed commercial sites, and certain other sites (like YouTube, Steam, and so on), which receive preferential ranking over Blogger.

I'll give an example. If there is no competition for a certain keyword, you will rank highly (but probably won't get much traffic because the keyword is trivial). But if there are extant sites already ranked for the keyword, it is "100 times harder" (random number, it's just very hard) to overtake them (but once you do, you will get that traffic and it probably won't be trivial).

There is a massive difference between being no. 2 and being no. 1.

Thus, if someone wants to compete with me in my sphere, they would have an uphill battle. It was the same for me when I started out. But now, in some cases, I have overtaken extant commercial sites, including Steam. Again, only in some cases. But that doesn't happen overnight.

That's what I mean by getting Google alg, and other search engine algs, to like your blog. It isn't easy to make that happen, regardless of your host. And this is why commericial blogs exist that employ an army of guest writers. It's the only way they can stay ahead of content that is superior to their own: money and army.

Which is why I said "good luck" to the OP: if you're going to go it alone, you sort of need to know what you're doing. Else, your write-ups will be likely be ignored.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm now no.1 on certain indexed rankings of 1 mil. This will likely double my yearly viewership for this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom