Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are they still not planning to support old saves?
"Still"? So was there comment about this before? Saves carrying over to new edition is what I wanted to know about but this 196 pages is too much. I know for pragmistism's sake it's best to just assume the answer is "No". I'm still holding a flicker of hope that you can, at least under the right conditions.

I can't find anything by a quick google. I'm doubtful too (else how are they managing to change Act 3) but it would be great as I've now done 60 hours across two campaigns, neither of which have made it to Act 2 so not totally keen to do yet another Fort Joy run...

JasonNH

Augur
Taken from the FAQ on the DE in the discord channel.

4. Will my save games from DOS2 be compatible with DOS2: DE?
Due to the number of complex changes coming in the Definitive Edition, save-games aren't compatible but you'll have the option to launch either the classic game or the Definitive Edition from your library.

The info came from a Larian employee.

Here is the full list in case there is anything else of interest:

1. What is Divinity Original Sin 2 Defintive Edition (DOS2: DE)?
DOS2: DE will be a new game version coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 31, 2018. It will include a multitude of tweaks, new journal, completely overhauled third chapter, new tutorial, interface updates, "Sir Lorna the Squirrel" DLC, PvP arena updates, and more.

2. Will I get the DOS2: DE if I already own the game?
Yes, every owner of the PC edition will receieve the DOS2: DE for free on PC. It will show up in your Steam or GOG library as a separate game client.

3. Will I still be able to play the original DOS2 after DOS2: DE comes out?
Yes, there will be two separate game clients - one for DOS2 and one for DOS2: DE.

4. Will my save games from DOS2 be compatible with DOS2: DE?
Due to the number of complex changes coming in the Definitive Edition, save-games aren't compatible but you'll have the option to launch either the classic game or the Definitive Edition from your library.

5. Will the existing DOS2 mods work with DOS2: DE?
Mods originally made for DOS2 classic will not be loaded by the DOS2: DE game client. DOS2: DE mods will appear in the same Steam workshop but with a new, unique tag identifying them as such. This means existing mods will require their respective authors to re-upload them using the DOS2: DE version of the Divnity Editor. Some mods will require additional porting efforts by the author while others (e.g. some "class mods" and those limited to stat table changes) can conceivably be re-uploaded with little to no change.

6. Will GM Mode be supported on consoles?
No, GM Mode is not going to be supported on console platforms.

7. Will there be crossplay between PC, PS4, and Xbox One?
Crossplay will not be supported across different platforms.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

(3:35) "I can't tell you any specifics but we are working on a couple projects, and not just the definitive edition. And yeah, I mean, watch this space, you shouldn't need to wait too long after we finished up the definitive edition."

http://invisioncommunity.co.uk/exclusive-interview-with-larian-studios-keiron-kelly-and-edouard/

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH LARIAN STUDIOS KEIRON KELLY AND EDOUARD

With Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition just around the corner coming from Bandai Namco and Larian Studios, we thought it would be great to ask Larian Studios a few pondering questions, including a possible secret Harry Potter type room, Switch Port and much more. For the Interview, we got to speak to Keiron Kelly, product manager at Larian Studios and Edouard, Senior game designer.

Thanks for joining us today, I only have a few questions, so will not keep you too long I hope.

So the first Question, tell us about DO:2 for anyone that has yet to play the game?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an RPG with a truly open world experience. Every quest, challenge and puzzle you encounter has multiple ways of solving it to let each player express themselves as they journey through the game. Its been built from the ground up to be a single or multi player (up to four) experience and the dialogue system has been designed specifically to let you role-play who and how you want to. With a 93 metacritic rating, Divinity: Original Sin 2 has been critically praised and named as “the best RPG of the decade” by IGN and an “Instant Classic” by Gamespot. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is also the only split-screen rpg on console, and show that an isometric game can be a truly modern experience, and not stuck in a world of nostalgia.
-Kieron

When it comes to the Team behind Larian Studios, what sort of backgrounds do they have or should I say come from?

We have all sorts of backgrounds here. Of course, some of us were already designers or programmers or writers before joining Larian (even as students) – but some others had unrelated jobs: some of our writers were journalists, some of our scripters and designers were scientists; researchers; some of us never even worked in the videogame industry before! But we were driven, all of us, to assemble, to unite our forces to make games, and that is what matters now.
– Edouard

That is an interesting mix of backgrounds, have to be honest, I never expected that.

On a personal level, I love Divinity: Original Sin 1 / 2, I also love Divinity 2, I played it loads and loved the action-packed game and story, will you ever come back to that genre? Or it too much of a risk?

We’re glad you loved it! I wouldn’t say its too much of a risk, but we’re enjoying making these types of rpgs right now. And the success of Divinity: Original Sin 2 is just showing more and more people that they like this type of game too. SO while we won’t rule anything out for the future, we think its fair to say that this type of RPG is growing its audience, and we’re not done with it yet.
– Kieron

That is what I thought, Divinity: Original Sin is a great game and fans are still coming to the platform.

OK, back to the definitive release, I know there are graphics obsessed gamers out there, what can we expect to see in terms of FPS and Resolutions for all platforms.

We’re still working on the final touches to performance, but right now we can commit to 30 fps on all platforms. You can expect to play in 4k native on Xbox One X (+HDR support) and 4k checkboard on PS4Pro (+HDR support).
1080p native on Xbox One, Xbox One S, PS4 and PS4 Slim. With HDR support on Xbox One S, PS4 and PS4 Pro.
For anyone playing on PC, there will be HDR on Windows 10 with DirectX11.4. PC players of the original should also see some significant speed changes thanks primarily to our new NVIDIA based Physics engine.
– Kieron

It is good to see a 4K coming to Xbox One X and 4K checkboard on PS4Pro, HDR is also a nice added bonus.

Since I am a massive fan of the series, I am really hoping you bring the franchise to the Nintendo Switch, is that possible?

There’s plenty of Switch fans in Larian, especially those of us who spend a lot of commuting or travelling on planes. DOS2 on the Switch WOULD be amazing, and not something we’re completely ruling out. As you can probably imagine, bringing the game to Switch would bring a host of its own potential challenges; Creating a Switch UI, making the most of its touch screen, how to handle multiplayer, etc etc. We’re always looking at new technology and platforms and nothing would make us happier then helping our fans play the game in whatever formats they use, but I’m afraid we can’t promise anything at this time.
– Kieron

I feel this is good news in a way, and I can only hope that the game does arrive at some point.

So what is it like having full control of your franchise?

It is both enthralling and terrifying. Enthralling, because whatever you design becomes canon; you truly leave a mark in the world; people will remember what you’ve done, and when they think of Divinity, they will think of it that way partly because of something that you did. Terrifying, because whatever you design becomes canon, etc., see above statement. If one day you show up at work and design something that is really bad, and that makes it into the game, well, it’s on you, buddy. The responsibility keeps you awake at night.
– Edouard

Can you tell me what are the biggest achievements and challenges you’ve had to face during development?

Contributing to making D:OS and D:OS2 are achievements in themselves, because these games are so complex, have so many facets, than it’s easy to lose oneself in their conception. You have to keep your eye on the ball at all times, all the while knowing when to go out of your way to help others. Also, tools & organization can change drastically from one day to the next, so you may have to quickly redefine the way you work, or learn new tools during crunch, and keep adapting and changing and becoming better – and not just at your job, but also at being a person: you must become more attentive, more patient, more dependable, etc. I think that’s the biggest achievement, and the biggest challenge: the constant need for adaptation.
-Edouard

Where and how do you formulate all your ideas when it comes to game creation, as your games are huge, you must have a special room with some harry potter shit going on?

Well, if I had to choose a room, I’d say that a lot of very important ideas come from Swen’s desk in our Ghent office – but there’s nothing Harry Potter about it: it’s more like a white board, empty cans of Coke Zero and a messy desk, really (okay I hope he doesn’t read this). The truth is, ideas aren’t formulated by one person, or in a single room; they’re an organic process: first, the story guys have an idea, then that idea gets reworked and reworked again as the story evolves, and then a lot later when implementation comes, the person implementing (scripting the quest, designing the fight etc.) has an idea that will make the original idea better, and so on. So there really isn’t an “idea room” – rather, we have big story meetings, then short coffee breaks staring into emptiness (or pacing the room, talking to ourselves, trying to not spill that coffee), thinking, “okay so now how do I make this better?”
– Edouard

There was me hoping for that Harry Potter room, shame, but thanks for taking your time out of your busy day and I hope Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition gets a perfect release and sells well, so you can move on to D:O3 or the Nintendo Switch Port.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I installed this to test something, any worthwhile mods apart from the reduced number bloat? Especially ones that fix the atrocious design decisions.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I installed this to test something, any worthwhile mods apart from the reduced number bloat? Especially ones that fix the atrocious design decisions.
No idea how many of these have been updated/are still necessary, I haven't played since it released last year:

mandatory:

Very Fast Run Speed

Free Pet Pal

any mod that reduces XP granted by combat so you aren't max level far before the end of the game

catfood

AGAIN
There's also one which tweaks armor. What armor you have left is used as a percentage to determine whether a spell effect triggers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What about the one which causes physical and magical attacks to target both armor types?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, is there a way to remove the mouse-over outlines? I despise these with every fibre of my being in every game ever.

EDIT: For those who have the same question, you can't. Lame.

Either way, I tested all I wanted to test. For all intents and purposes, it is a very pretty game, despite the 3D-ness of it. I'll still wait for the definitive edition before actually starting it seriously.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because it would make mixed parties or builds more viable. Why would that be easier than having a physical or magical-only party?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because it would make mixed parties or builds more viable. Why would that be easier than having a physical or magical-only party?
There are plenty of enemies with high physical, low/no magic and vice versa. You have nothing to worry about, mixed parties are fine.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yet most probably don't, meaning it's more lucrative going all out on something and just eating the rare encounters that are against your chosen one.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most do actually, in my experience. It's certainly not enough of a problem to make mixed parties unviable. Most encounters include at least one physical tank character and one magical mage. This game doesn't exactly go crazy with encounter design.
And there's no agenda here -- unlike the first game, this is kind of crap.

Lacrymas

Arcane
We'll see what they've done with the definitive edition, but I have a feeling the big problems won't be addressed. At least they should unhardcode initiative. After that, someone can mount a full-scale overhaul of the encounters and the armor system,
clear.png
clear.png
and make the game actually worth a damn. :fabulouslyoptimistic: Speaking of daydreams, they can also overhaul the item system and place handcrafted items everywhere.

Black

Arcane
There are plenty of enemies with high physical, low/no magic and vice versa. You have nothing to worry about, mixed parties are fine.
It was way faster and less hassle to just nuke nuke and nuke the very few enemies that had physical armor than to run a mixed party in DOS 2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Speaking of definitive edition, I have no idea how they can even come up with 45 pages of trivial changes. It feels like demagoguery or that special kind of politicking where you can talk for hours, yet say nothing.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Quick question for anyone who's finished DOS2. I've started it a few times and am now waiting for the DE to try again, but I'm actually kind of put off by the premade player characters. Do you think it adds much to plas as them? I'm leaning towards making my own, and just playing the stories through recruited part members

that special kind of politicking where you can talk for hours, yet say nothing.

Filibuster, or Parliamentary Obstruction

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've finished the game with a rogue, archer, fighter and a wizard, never had any issues with different armour types.
Some enemy groups contain physical armour only units, some are varied, but it never mattered much due to game allowing for different ways to apply crowd control. And if you can delay a couple of enemies for a turn or two, while focus fire eliminating the rest, combat runs smoothly.
My spellcaster had insane AoE spells, can only imagine how much easier it would be with two or three. AoE crowd control all day long.

I'd recommend to relax, not worry and approach the game with an open mind. I didn't care for story at all, just had fun experimenting in combat.

Quick question for anyone who's finished DOS2. I've started it a few times and am now waiting for the DE to try again, but I'm actually kind of put off by the premade player characters. Do you think it adds much to plas as them? I'm leaning towards making my own, and just playing the stories through recruited part members
My party consisted only out of premade characters, the advantage is you get to finish 4 main quests, one for each. If you make a new character, then you can only have 3 premades etc. Each has a long quest line tied to their story.
There are also custom dialogue lines and background stories, but that's less relevant.

Jezal_k23

Yes, the premade characters bring extra content with them. This would be the advantage in using them, because their quests are fairly sizeable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom