Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Prime Junta

Even if that was true (and I only talk about PotD anyway), the system itself is not good and it relies too much on fine-tuning to not suck completely. That fine-tuning doesn't really work in a game like PoE2, it has too many variables.

I agree with you if by "the system" you mean pen/armour that scales with level/quality. If you just mean pen/armour in general, you're being an edgy retard (as usual).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean pen/armor in general due to the nature of RPGs, character building and free-form format. Well, it depends on what you mean by "pen/armor in general". If PEN wasn't a static number, I'm not opposed to the way it reduces damage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Maybe, but it's very open to abuse. "Deteriorate with damage" is too vague, how much damage and why? Or is it number of hits? That is another can of worms right there.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Give individual equipment its own condition value. Condition being how much damage it can sustain before breaking.

For example, a brigantine has 12 armor rating and a condition of 5000/5000. It loses 3 armor rating every 25% loss of condition, and breaks at 0/5000 until repaired.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, Prime Junta must realize that his suggestion would turn PoE into a game where players switch between weapon and armor types instead of having to upgrade to higher items tiers. So you won't find yourself reaching the point where it's always better to run around naked (until you find better armor), but you might be switching from nudity to light armor to heavy armor from battle to battle. That sounds okay to me, but some people might find it just as artificial and contrived. Their response to your complaints would be "Fuck you, your equipment is just underlevelled for the area".

Certainly Divinity: Original Sin hasn't suffered from indulging in the "item fever".

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
For example, a brigantine has 12 armor rating and a condition of 5000/5000. It loses 3 armor rating every 25% loss of condition, and breaks at 0/5000 until repaired.

No, it needs to deteriorate from max to low every combat and not introduce repair mechanics. Doing 1500 damage at 30% would be extremely tedious and bad design.

Codex Year of the Donut
Now that's a lame excuse. Just because there are fantasy elements that don't apply to our universe, doesn't mean that the basic laws of physics shouldn't.

The way armor was balanced in 2nd edition D&D was retarded, not only because it wasn't fun, but because it looked plain silly.

I'm saying that something has to be sacrificed on the altar of realism. Penetration is a bad system for this type of game, get rid of it. And besides, you aren't poking steel armor with sticks, you are bashing them over the head with morning stars, but can't penetrate because of some arbitrary number. It doesn't work that way irl.
D&D armor class system was a mess, stop posting

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
+ lots of cool puzzles
i.e if you thought that fire giant lava level with time travel cutscenes in Icewind Dale 2 was a puzzle and was cool, or like kiddy JRPGs with levers opening pathways you need to follow anyway to progress the plot.

You are harsh, but right. I guess we are just judging it relative to the rest of the dungeons in the wider game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
D&D armor class system was a mess, stop posting

Ok, I'll bite. Why was it a mess? And I mean the mechanics between attackers and defenders, not that certain classes were prevented from equipping higher armor and higher armor was always the best choice.

Prime Junta

Of course, Prime Junta must realize that his suggestion would turn PoE into a game where players switch between weapon and armor types instead of having to upgrade to higher items tiers. So you won't find yourself reaching the point where it's always better to run around naked (until you find better armor), but you might be switching from nudity to light armor to heavy armor from battle to battle. That sounds okay to me, but some people might find it just as artificial and contrived. Their response to your complaints would be "Fuck you, your equipment is just underlevelled for the area".

Certainly Divinity: Original Sin hasn't suffered from indulging in the "item fever".

In theory, but that could be easily addressed by what P2 already does -- give unique armours unique specials that make them worth wearing anyway. Nobody's going to wear generic armour past the early game anyway. I suspect most players would just find an armour they like and stick with it even if it's suboptimal; you'd only need to fine-tune for boss battles on PotD (which is the case now, more or less).

tl;dr I dislike leveled gear; even it's not as egregious in DF as in most modern RPGs (e.g. the DOSs).

(Also D&D armour system has mad threshold effects as well, when near the edges a single point can double your to-hit chances, plus it makes every armour type except the heaviest your class permits pointless, which in turn necessitates arbitrary class restrictions for armour so that everybody doesn't run around in full plate 24/7. That's just stupid.)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
+ lots of cool puzzles
i.e if you thought that fire giant lava level with time travel cutscenes in Icewind Dale 2 was a puzzle and was cool, or like kiddy JRPGs with levers opening pathways you need to follow anyway to progress the plot.

It's not a point&click adventure bud. Puzzles in dungeons are only welcome if they don't get in the way too much. It's not meant to be complex and force you to scratch your brain for hours, just add a nice change of pace from all the combat.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Armour/Pen scaling is the most retarded shit ever. You could have it tied only to quality for very little margin to have sort of an arms race, as well as spells that add/reduce armour/penetration.

As it stands it's just all over the place.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I'm thinking of playing PoE2 but I dont have my PoE1 saves, is there enough reaction to your choices in the previous game to justify playing the first again to get those saves?

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can tailor your saves through an in-built "history creator". You don't get some things, though, but I don't know which ones.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Besides the absolutely fascinating discussion #74 about Pen/AR vs DR, is this add-on good ?
Say, I want more actual high level shit in deadfire (ie. I want big monsters to blow up and cool items to loot) and new original hot shit, should I get it ?

Shadenuat

Arcane
spoilers, whatever.

The items are.... I dunno, suffice to say I have like 3 parties in my save games and I did not change their equipment much except new trinkets in trinket slot. They're not terrible or anything, but you know - PoE stuff. Armor that gives/strips defences if you are afflicted with negative status effect. Another armor that increases your AOO attacks. And does fire damage. When you die. When you don't die, it does whooping average of 6 fire damage. If they hit you. Wowsies. New tower shield, I almost fully upgraded it, and decided to leave adra shield from Gulag on my tank since it's just better. Ring that slows everyone when engaged by uh 7% or something. The trinket from final boss gives you +1 strength and resolve... when your party members die! :shittydog: this is such a poe items design, it hurts.
If you like maces or have dude dual wielding maces, you will enjoy new ice mace. Then there's new 2 handed axe. Is like 2 handed sword but no piercing damage, but it seems like it can make some nice hits due to good crit bonus. Probably the cutest weapon as it looks Planescape.
Still the ice set looks bloodmoon as fuck so eh go get it. I gave it to Aloth since helm gives +10 accuracy with afflictions meaning moar stunlocking of everything with terrify.

But it's not like, Heart of Winter where you get really sweet stuff.

monsters are lazy. there are basically humans, humans with burning texture, humans with icy texture, black flying orbs (Tyranny hello) and giant oxmen. Giant oxmen are the only ones worth a look, and let me use the nifty bestiary to check how many times they are re-used... 12. 12 times. same with re-skinned ice golems. ice shadows, which are shadows, but you know, icy and harder. there's polar bears too, and you will feel like that funny fucker from DoS2 designed some of their encounters. Because killing cute animal families is so funny, right? (grrr) Oh and there is ice bear pet of course. He's from Sweden.

Then there's dragon which is kinda boring and re-used, and a very big frost oxman who is actually cool looking but is easy as hell compared to the 5500 hp dragon. Granted both bosses can be almost stunlocked by a 20th level wizard through wall of many colors/petrify, but, here ymmv. My first party actually struggled quite a bit (might be from leftovers from deadly deadfire if it still works; then I re-installed the game in hope that it won't crash all the time... yeah that did not help much), second had Evoker aka Lina Inverse aka Overlord Anime Prebuff Greatur Hardenung > wall of many colors > petrify > 2 meteor showers > Rymgard = near dead (almost every other encounter was gathered around tank and killed by 2 magic missile storms), and my third party had Fassima with petrify and infinite terrify through summoned bow + Ydwin rogue/cipher with Chromatic staff + skill for it who 2-shot most trash and disintegrated everything to dust. Hilariously, she actually turned Rymgard into pile of red goo on the ground. Go waifu.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, after very extensive testing and even hardware analysis, I'm 99% sure Unity doesn't like my current video card (even though it's the same model as the last one I had to RMA). I can't play either PoE1 or 2, or even the Shadowruns because of this. They crash inevitably after 1 minute in the game. Sooo, that's that I guess.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So, after very extensive testing and even hardware analysis, I'm 99% sure Unity doesn't like my current video card (even though it's the same model as the last one I had to RMA). I can't play either PoE1 or 2, or even the Shadowruns because of this. They crash inevitably after 1 minute in the game. Sooo, that's that I guess.
What is the card mate,it could be the win version or the codecs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AMD RX460. Trust me, I've tried everything and tested everything extensively. It doesn't crash in any game that doesn't use Unity, yet inevitably crashes if it is Unity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
AMD RX460. Trust me, I've tried everything and tested everything extensively. It doesn't crash in any game that doesn't use Unity, yet inevitably crashes if it is Unity.
Yeah,amd are shit cards for gaming. I had a lot of problems with amd cards in the past,after that i just decided to fuck them off and bought nvidia. Try out older drivers,i mean a few year old ones.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've tried that. I just tried out Dex, since it's Unity as well, but it doesn't crash. Might be because it's 2D. I like AMDs because I've found they don't have problems with older games, while nVidias frequently do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom