Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
Where's UnstableVoltage by the way? The dude disappeared after "XBox Game Pass" outrage.
I read he couldn't stand Codex even before that, but honestly, I can't understand how can you work in PR and be so thin-skinned. No one even shat on PP much here.
He was on vacation for a couple of days (he really deserved it as he kinda works 24/7).
Besides that, I can't see what he could possibly add here.

Either the game gets more consolized, or it was always planed like that. The later is the official version of the story.
Not much more to add to that, as it is happening.

But well, if you (or I for that matter) like it or not, UV always stated that anything is subject to change.
And we have a had quit a lot of change since they went on fig.

Julian Gollop had stated that they would focus on an game for PC, later that changed to gamepads, later it is revealed that PP will be released on X-Box as well and they are developing both versions at the same time.
A lot of the visual design has changed, alien look less nightmarish, less / none body horror. The faction look more like "generic" sci-fi troopers instead of the gritty grim scavenger look they had at fig.
The game has been delayed and progress between the first and second Backer Build wasn't "that big" (or between the builds before, that were shown on game events).
For me the last big downer was that the inventory as shown in the Backer Builds is not a place holder, but the final style (no inventory like in UFO:EU). Thought they never stated that it would be like UFO:EU, so wrong expectations.

Each of these "problems" on their own are more or less of an issue, but in total I do not feel to optimistic about PP (still will be a better game than X-COM 1&2, by how far we will see when it is released and how much else got changed).

On the other hand the interview brought up a lot of interesting aspects of the game I am looking forward to. But well so far it is only talked about so it might (my inner pessimists say most likely) will change and raise wrong expectations.

Probably people like me had wished PP to be a game from the 90's with the UI (and graphics) from today.

PanteraNera

Arcane
First Synedrion image since fig:
f4ea6b5612aaa654e7adb3ab893f46b1.jpg

Some pictures from fig for comparison:
latest.png

https3A2F2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.png

Latelistener

Arcane
Besides that, I can't see what he could possibly add here.
I didn't ask to add anything on the issue. Everything is said and done already.
I'm just curious if he self-ejected himself from Codex or just took a vacation.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Oh good, more generic crap artwork raping the original vision. Just what the doctor ordered.
What puzzles me is: they had the original concept, which was more interesting had more character and was at least to me way less generic, more believable/"realistic", if you start from there how can you go "backwards"?
It is a shame as the artist are technically talented, I wonder who decided to change the art-style of most (if not all by the time of release) to this.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
I'm still around. As others have said, I've been on vacation for a week (first one in a year).
As also stated, there isn't a lot that I can add. I will try to answer questions where I can, but many people in this thread are very opinionated about what the game is and where it is going. Generally, there's nothing that I can add that will do anything other than fan the flames. I'm not thin-skinned - just generally busy. I can make better use of my time than trying to convince one subset of potential players that they might actually enjoy the game when it is released, despite the fact that the visuals have changed since the very early concept art. I get the feeling that many people here have already made up their minds, one way or another. Nothing that I can say will alter that.

I've always been honest with you guys here, and I've given information to you as it has been given to me. Sure, I do defend Phoenix Point (I'm on the payroll, would you not expect me to?) but I've always been honest. When it gets to a point that some people just feel they can't trust the information that I give them, then giving out any information is counter-productive.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm still around. As others have said, I've been on vacation for a week (first one in a year).
As also stated, there isn't a lot that I can add. I will try to answer questions where I can, but many people in this thread are very opinionated about what the game is and where it is going. Generally, there's nothing that I can add that will do anything other than fan the flames. I'm not thin-skinned - just generally busy. I can make better use of my time than trying to convince one subset of potential players that they might actually enjoy the game when it is released, despite the fact that the visuals have changed since the very early concept art. I get the feeling that many people here have already made up their minds, one way or another. Nothing that I can say will alter that.

I've always been honest with you guys here, and I've given information to you as it has been given to me. Sure, I do defend Phoenix Point (I'm on the payroll, would you not expect me to?) but I've always been honest. When it gets to a point that some people just feel they can't trust the information that I give them, then giving out any information is counter-productive.

Can you provide some information as to why they made a such a tonal shift with the designs? I'm not saying the game is going to be terrible because of it; the mechanics do seem pretty solid, and I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as I did with XCOM, both new and old. It just seems to be a radical departure to what was first shown.

Also, any word on what the system requirements will be?

PanteraNera

Arcane
Can you provide some information as to why they made a such a tonal shift with the designs? I'm not saying the game is going to be terrible because of it; the mechanics do seem pretty solid, and I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as I did with XCOM, both new and old. It just seems to be a radical departure to what was first shown.

Well the Backer Builds which are un-optimized work fine on my potato notebook (i5-2467M, Geforce GT640M, 4GB) on the highest settings but the game crashes once environment gets destroyed, on the potato setting (lowest quality) it works flawless.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer

I'll see if I can get official word from Julian and our art director.

As for your second question: (these are only tentative specs as the requirements may change depending on optimization of both the game code or the Unity engine).

PC/Linux

Will most likely require a 64bit OS. Win 7 SP1 / 8 / 10 / Ubuntu

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3GHz or AMD FX series 3.2GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon R9 390X
DirectX: Version 11
Sound: DirectSound compatible

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Phenom II X3
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 270
DirectX: Version 11
Sound: DirectSound compatible

Mac

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core i5
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core i3
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ah, thank you for the specs. That's useful information.
I'll have to get some more ram and upgrade my video card. I don't think the incumbent parts can handle it. Its a fairly old rig, anyway, so these things are bound to happen.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/8/7/the-phoenix-project-rises

The Phoenix Project Rises

When we released Backer Build One, players took control of the New Jericho faction. The main reason for this was that New Jericho models were the most developed at that time.

With work underway on the major content update for Backer Build Three, the character team are hard at work getting the Phoenix Project models ready to go in. As always, what you see here are images of work in progress assets and nothing should be considered final at this stage.

You can follow development and see what is currently being worked on via our development roadmap.

PX_PO_wip.jpg

The Phoenix Project Operative class

While we have shown the above image previously, it serves as a good example of the overall look and feel for the Phoenix Project. Not as heavily armoured as their New Jericho counterparts, they still have fairly substantial equipment. This also shows the default orange motif of the Phoenix Project faction.

Heavy.jpg

The Phoenix Project Heavy class

Next up we have the Phoenix Project Heavy. Unlike the NJ Elite Heavy class, the PP counterpart isn't quite as heavily armoured - a trade-off which gives them higher mobility. You will notice that there are multiple variations on helmets, shoulders, arms and boots in this image. The armour in Phoenix Point is modular and can be mixed and matched, as well as customised.

heavy_helmets.jpg

A selection of Phoenix Project Heavy helmets

We're already working on multiple different variations for each armour set. Some will be used for different tiers of tech, others will just be cosmetic differences.

PX_sniper_3dconcept.jpg

The Phoenix Project Sniper class

Next is the Sniper class. One of the most lightly armoured classes on the battlefield, but also one of the most agile. The Sniper can be seen here with a selection of different head-gear.

chitin_textured_wip_01.jpg

The Chitin Armour

In a previous update we gave you a sneak peek at the Chitin armour, although untextured. The textures have now been added and this suit is nearing completion. This will form part of the Alien Chitin Armour and Living Weapons DLC, and will have its own storyline and missions to acquire.

It's bonus time! Even though most of the current character work is going into the Phoenix Project faction and the enemy units, work is also underway on the other factions. Here's a small preview of the Synedrion Infiltrator.

SY_infiltrator_wip.jpg

The Synedrion Infiltrator class

That's all we have for this update. Next time, we'll be taking a closer look at the weapon design in Phoenix Point.

PanteraNera

Arcane
despite the fact that the visuals have changed since the very early concept art.

What I had in mind when PP was on fig:

What I now have on mind when I see revisualized PP:

I say the visuals add a lot to the tone of the game. As I said the change isn't a deal-breaker for me, but rather sad.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is everything so high tech though? You don't get that impression from the stories, and isn't humanity supposed to be on the brink of destruction?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Why is everything so high tech though? You don't get that impression from the stories, and isn't humanity supposed to be on the brink of destruction?

Not necessarily. If its far enough into the future, then even humanity on the brink of destruction would be able to bring some high tech (by our standards) guns to bear.
Similar premise with Warhammer 40k, really. Take the humble lasgun; in universe its cheap, mass produced, weak (compared to what other man portable weapons anyone else can field) and is typically given to cannon fodder (ie, the imperial guard). By our standards though it would be a weapons engineer's and a general's wet dream, as its highly reliable compared to our guns today, it packs a punch and it somehow generates enough energy to produce a destructive laser beam, something which is impossible today on a practical level...unless you consider blacking out a city to be practical.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
High tech = cool/interesting/offers more freedome (my guess).
Also yes around fig the tone was that humanity is supposed to be on the brink of destruction.
Allen Stoud the lead writer had stated several times before that he will not retcon his work. So the tone in the (old) stories might be outdated by now (like the concept and early screenshots from fig).

Not necessarily. If its far enough into the future, then even humanity on the brink of destruction would be able to bring some high tech (by our standards) guns to bear.
Well the year PP starts in is 2047.
In 2029 the first mist happened were a lot of people wandered of into the ocean.
There has been world war 3 (some time between 2032-2040, it is unknown when exactly).
From what you can read in the stories governments cease to exist around 2040/2041.
Also around 2040/2041 the second mist happened which means, a lot of humans got killed or "re-purposed".
It had been stated several times by the team (UV for sure, Allen Stoud probably) that it is a game and does not aim to be "realistic".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom