Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Pleasure RPGs?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
not really guilty but i liked alot this game:

a old JRPG style of combat mixed with western art-style,that what's make this game unique.I had not played any JRPG before this game,when i played final fantasy 6 for the first time the first thing i thought is:"This shit plays like that lord of the rings game from ps2 !".

There any other RPG that mix JRPG Dragon quest/Final Fantasy combat with Western art-style(no anime/cartoon) ?

Recommending a game that isn't on PC. The fucking heresy. LOTR: War in the North, and LOTR: Shadows of Mordor were both guilty pleasures for me. Will get the sequel to SOM in a Steam sale as well.
ON PC. :argh:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
West of Loathing for me lately. It's basically a flash game, but despite the very basic gameplay it's actually pretty fun (and funny). Exploration is great with lots of secrets to find and an occasional puzzle to solve.

idk how West of Loathing is a guilty pleasure, that game is 100% pure incline

Pretty sure I've played literally every single Assassin's creed all the way through and enjoyed most of them, including the native american one.

Also Fallout 4 is actually a great first person shooter IMO, absolutely superb dungeon crawling experience in that game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
every night your defenses are tested and every 7 days, it gets even harder with hordes.

What ruined it for me was when I realized an underground base was 100% safe from any horde. Defending against the hordes is the most fun thing in the game but the urge to build a completely safe base is overwhelming.

Though in my last game I had a lot of fun setting up in a bookstore office building.

Drowed

Arcane
Recommending a game that isn't on PC.

pcsx2-805-3.jpg

Everything is on PC. And if it isn't right now, it will be later, one way or another.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks, always thought about trying that once I have a throwaway PC and an updated one in the event this software blows up the throwaway PC. Not being a prick, will probably get around to it one day.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I don't have guilty pleasures playing games, except for Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor :hahano:, but I do replay some decent games more than they deserve, like Thunderscape, Warhammer 40k : Chaos Gate or Fallout Tactics.

roll-a-die

Magister
Etrian Odyssey, and Pokemon fan games. At least currently.

Also Chippy, PCSX2 or really any other emulator is about as likely to blow up your PC as Microsoft Word, if not less so. So long as you have a reasonably modern set of hardware(As in I'm rocking a GeForce 670, and I'm able to run most things on the emulator scene even Citra which surprised me.)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For me: The Old Republic, because I can get a spaceship and travel in the galaxy! (not for the story or other players, tho).

Breath of Death VII
justification: The soundtrack. Also sort of Chrono Trigger-ish combat if I remember right.

You might like the next game by the devs, I don't think the music is as good, but the combat is way better.

not really guilty but i liked alot this game:

a old JRPG style of combat mixed with western art-style,that what's make this game unique.I had not played any JRPG before this game,when i played final fantasy 6 for the first time the first thing i thought is:"This shit plays like that lord of the rings game from ps2 !".

There any other RPG that mix JRPG Dragon quest/Final Fantasy combat with Western art-style(no anime/cartoon) ?
Anachronox?

ortucis

Prophet
every night your defenses are tested and every 7 days, it gets even harder with hordes.

What ruined it for me was when I realized an underground base was 100% safe from any horde. Defending against the hordes is the most fun thing in the game but the urge to build a completely safe base is overwhelming.

Though in my last game I had a lot of fun setting up in a bookstore office building.

Haha, I also went to the nearby city in my last game, and took over a whole abandoned building. Destroyed all floors slowly, created large pillars to support roof (like on 6th floor) and created whole base on top, along with a nice garden in middle.

Then for some reason, my building started collapsing in random areas, despite the pillars supporting the weight. Turns out, like the dwarves of Moria, I dug too deep to mine precious metal.. all under my building. I actually thought that just digging a small radius deep below will still support the building but I went even wider while mining.

That was fun. Zombies attacking, while my base starts collapsing cause there is a deep mine underground. Derp.

So yeah, fuck creating a base underground. Build it up, that's what's fun. They need to add some underground creatures to counter the base-building underground.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Academagia
MUDs
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!
Been looking for a MUD to play, any recommendations? I've played some before. But none for an real length of time.

The last one I played in was a Danish MUD called AustinMUD, but it's been down for years. :( I even made some dungeons for it.
I've clockedat least 5000 hours in VikingMud (located in Norway), fortunately broke free some 17 years ago. Stay away from them!

--That being said, I think BatMUD is still one of the largest and oldest.

EDIT: Also I read 'a Danish MUD called AutismMud'. Would describe most of them pretty well. :M

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
can you guys believe there are codexers who publicly reveal they've played FO3/4/Skyrim and other trash like Shadows of Mordor and then a few posts later whinge about JRPGs like holy shit nigga kill yourself jfl lolol

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ultima 2, Hillsfar and Arcanum. Also some shitty Android roguelikes which I find awful yet I keep coming back.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Dragon Age is probably closest to a guilty pleasure for me. It feels as though it was created during an interim period between classical gaming and modern gaming degeneracy, with strong elements of both. There's so many things that annoy me about it, yet I also feel a bit nostalgic about it and am likely to replay it at some point. Never tried the sequels though, and doubt I ever will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom