Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the thing is nintendo can only go after sites with nintendo published games, so rom sites just need to not carry nintendo-made games if they're worried.

spekkio

Arcane
Horrible news about EmuParadise. They've got almost everything and ultra-convenient to leech. Thank God I have everything worth having on my HDD, and new consoles aren't really worth emulating (few exclusives, DRM, day-one patches, dlcs, etc.).

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I don't know if anyone care but EmuParadise no longer provide ROM downloads.
This is most unfortunate, I don't mind paying for older games provided via legal services, but only if the price is adequate (for example, I'm not going to pay fucking $8 for mesozoic shit like that arcade donkey kong game for switch) and the emulation quality is decent (level with or better than just using free emulators with pirated roms), but the big problem is that there are far too many games that are NOT officially available for purchase and for many there's no convenient way of getting them apart from piracy, and the rightholders themselves don't seem to hurry to make them legally available. I don't care for their legal shit, I just want to play a game, and so long as they through their indifference make me resort to piracy to play good old games I will pirate.

Vorark

Erudite
Demon's Souls is now running way worse than one year ago. The bridge at Boletarian Palace runs at 5fps when it used to be around 15fps...

lightbane

Arcane
the thing is nintendo can only go after sites with nintendo published games, so rom sites just need to not carry nintendo-made games if they're worried.

Easy to say when pretty much most good old games were made by Nintendo and were fine until the sudden behaviour change due their newest CEO. Of course, chances are that many of these ROMs will reappear in their overpriced virtual market at some point.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
chances are that many of these ROMs will reappear in their overpriced virtual market at some point.
Which hasn't been even introduced for their most recent platform, Switch (I mean their Virtual Console service), and Nintendo Switch Online subscription is going to give you only NES games at this point... There are also NES mini and SNES mini retro consoles, but I'm not sure if they can run games other than those they're supplied with. Sad, there were quite a few good old games for ps1 and ps2 and snes I wanted to play (and EmuParadise was such a convenient place to get those), fortunately there are other sites that continue to provide downloads for them. Probably should already start (should have started, long time ago) collecting roms and isos of older games for myself before it's too late.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
chances are that many of these ROMs will reappear in their overpriced virtual market at some point.
Which hasn't been even introduced for their most recent platform, Switch (I mean their Virtual Console service), and Nintendo Switch Online subscription is going to give you only NES games at this point... There are also NES mini and SNES mini retro consoles, but I'm not sure if they can run games other than those they're supplied with. Sad, there were quite a few good old games for ps1 and ps2 and snes I wanted to play (and EmuParadise was such a convenient place to get those), fortunately there are other sites that continue to provide downloads for them. Probably should already start (should have started, long time ago) collecting roms and isos of older games for myself before it's too late.

I've read the SNES mini emulation, besides the games it comes bundled with, is hit or miss.

People could grab a fullset for 16bit era consoles, SNES one is around 3gb, not much if you consider games these days are 30gb+.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i honestly don't get why people still buy "hardware" gimmick emulators like the SNES mini or whatever. (Though I understand at least in that case it is an official product).

Just put whatever is the current best emulator of choice in a raspberry thing or whatever the fuck. No emulator is going to match a fan-made reverse engineered one that has had years of work done on it.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Just checked which ps2 games you are able to play on ps4 -- it showed me 53 results. Wow, like 1/50 of the total number of games released for the platform... (not related to the nintendo's recent jewish act of villainy, but still quite illustrative of how bad things are for many retro gaming enthusiasts who are now being compelled to use only legal and official yet quite unsatisfactory options to get to games from past console generations)

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
The nes/snes classic is a waste of money. The emulation is worse than even second-tier emulators on PC, and if you want a little box to plug into your living room TV, you can spend a fraction of the money on a raspberry pi with a nice enclosure and get access to every emulator ever.

Or, get a Super NT for a little more than the snes classic retail price, jailbreak it, and load it with the entire ROM set for lag-free actual hardware-accurate emulation, a beautiful HDMI picture, and a true plug and play experience complete with wireless super nes pads.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
game sack has good reviews of most of the popular third-party emulators-in-a-box products

they have more videos on this topic than those 3 but no need to post more

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
THE PC MASTER RACE STRIKES YET AGAIN!!!

NINTENDO SWITCH EMULATOR BOOTS UP GAMES AND IS PROGRESSING AT AN ASTONISHING RATE!!!

https://ryujinx.org/#/

NINTENDO FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH!!!

Bu-but... the human eye can't see more than 15fps...

serveimage

Feels good man.

Any idea how to make GBA games don't look/sound like utter shit? I've never touch original hardware so dunno if that horrible, messy colour palette and awfully compressed sound are native or just connected with emulation issues. I used Visual Boy Advance emulator.

newtmonkey

Arcane
GBA pretty much looks and sounds wrong on anything but actual hardware. The color palette for most games was chosen so that the game would be visible on its low quality non-lit screen, which makes them look absolutely retarded on anything else. The sound was never good—a major step down from even the SNES—but it wasn't quite as noticeable over the built in speaker.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Aaand IsoZone is gone, no download links.

HOWEVER - That stated - Times are changing. There are now growing ways of obtaining these retro titles through avenues which DO benefit the copyright holders and it seems clear due to recent events, that there are a lot more avenues in development.
This is why we decided to throw in the towel of our own accord. It was a good ride and it was a just ride, however it is clear that in the not so distant future, distributing retro titles could be a serious case of copyright infringement.

We would like to explicitly state that we are not re-branding or moving, despite the general consensus.
There is a new project underway by retro gaming enthusiasts to rebuild our original archive. And we wish them well.
kappa

flyingjohn

Arcane
Aaand IsoZone is gone, no download links.

HOWEVER - That stated - Times are changing. There are now growing ways of obtaining these retro titles through avenues which DO benefit the copyright holders and it seems clear due to recent events, that there are a lot more avenues in development.
This is why we decided to throw in the towel of our own accord. It was a good ride and it was a just ride, however it is clear that in the not so distant future, distributing retro titles could be a serious case of copyright infringement.

We would like to explicitly state that we are not re-branding or moving, despite the general consensus.
There is a new project underway by retro gaming enthusiasts to rebuild our original archive. And we wish them well.
kappa
Well it is over.
Anything older and rare is gone completely now.Also anything from 2002-2010 pc stuff is gone as well.You ain't gonna find that stuff floating around.
Private torrents mostly carry tosec which misses a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom