Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Reports of an expansion made me restart to see what I was missing.

Damn there is something satisfying swinging a greatsword and killing two enemies with one swing. This game has so much potential.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If this game had mods, we'd never need the developers again. I mean how difficult can it really be to program things a turn based 2d game? It'd be an awful business decision.

From a business point of view, making the game moddable at the moment is not really a good decision. It's highly unlikely that mods will increase sales enough to justify months of reworking code - months that could be invested into something profitable, like this DLC for example.

I completely agree with the sentiment that modding would be ideal for Battle Brothers but I also understand why they don't want to spend manhours into doing that. I'm 100% certain though that in their next titles it will be a priority, after the backlash they received... even though they never promised such a thing

Draugir101

Novice
It's a real shame if they don't allow mods eventually. Another thing that comes to mind now that I replay the game, is that they could really add some animations to the world map, it really looks dull.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If this game had mods, we'd never need the developers again. I mean how difficult can it really be to program things a turn based 2d game? It'd be an awful business decision.

From a business point of view, making the game moddable at the moment is not really a good decision. It's highly unlikely that mods will increase sales enough to justify months of reworking code - months that could be invested into something profitable, like this DLC for example.

I completely agree with the sentiment that modding would be ideal for Battle Brothers but I also understand why they don't want to spend manhours into doing that. I'm 100% certain though that in their next titles it will be a priority, after the backlash they received... even though they never promised such a thing
You assume they're learning animals. Which they might be but there is no guarantee. We will only really know after they release their second game.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also one has to remember they are located at Hamburg, Germany, which is fucking expensive, with a lot of fucking taxes (Germany is crazy with taxes).

But also being in Europe would make them eligible for grants like the one from Creative Europe, if they have the willpower to complete the paperwork. Also local government could also be available.

Zanzoken

Arcane

You are probably right that it's too late for Battle Bros, but look at the staying power that Mount & Blade has had. Warband came out in 2010 and still does volume whenever it goes on sale.

I think without mods there is no way that game would still be as prominent as it is.

Barbarian

Arcane
It's a real shame if they don't allow mods eventually. Another thing that comes to mind now that I replay the game, is that they could really add some animations to the world map, it really looks dull.

They could allow some modding stuff I suppose. Making it so that the text in the game can be translated should be quite easy(and that is something the fanbase demanded often, specially a german translation). Ditto for allowing new art assets(something that can already be done, you can replace banners and any art assets if you have photoshop and know how to open the game's files).

Modding new events and such is another story. Specially if their code is messy. Unless off course they have some internal development tools they can release to the public, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also remember this could be a waste of time. Logic arts released modding tools for both expeditions games and no modder did anything significant with them. I kept thinking at how that developer time would have been better spent adding content to those games. Perhaps at this point this is the case for BB.

There are also actually some mods around. Pretty minor stuff off course, the most interesting one I remember was the one that allowed you to put your full roster in a battle(up to 20 battle bros), but it makes the game too easy so I stopped using it rather quickly. It is a cheat mod pretty much, and quite boring.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Well, DLC is always cool, altough I miss something in the "additions" section.

Seriously, how hard it would be to introduce some kind of tool so people could "inject" at least their own items, events or enemies with their own sprites.
If you can't handle remaking the engine, work around it. There are thousands of possibilites when you own the source code.

Barbarian

Arcane
Like I said, are you sure the release of modding tools would be worth it at this time? I mentioned the expeditions games, the modding tools for both games did not generate a significant modding community or any significant mods at all.

The devs could be spending time that would be better served creating new content. And considering the way they are reluctant, mod support for this game must be difficult to implement. Makes sense considering it wasn't developed with that in mind.

Zanzoken

Arcane
You can't do half-assed mod tools though. It's gotta be go big or go home -- otherwise people won't use them, or even worse will try to and then get pissed off at the limitations. Then when Overhype says "mod tools are in for [insert next game]!" no one will care.

As has been said many times by now -- unless they are complete fools I'm sure they recognize modding as a missed opportunity for Battle Bros and would do it differently if they could go back. But that ship has in all likelihood already sailed.

I think the best case we could hope for -- and this is extremely unlikely -- is that an experienced modder contacts them and pitches something really big, like Prophecy of Pendor for M&B. Maybe in a special case like that they would let someone have a shot.

Fargus

Arcane
Like I said, are you sure the release of modding tools would be worth it at this time? I mentioned the expeditions games, the modding tools for both games did not generate a significant modding community or any significant mods at all.

The devs could be spending time that would be better served creating new content. And considering the way they are reluctant, mod support for this game must be difficult to implement. Makes sense considering it wasn't developed with that in mind.

I heard Viking's mod tools are pretty limited, don't know for sure, but at least thats what i understand from some of the comments in workshop section. The game itself was nice, but not something i would want to go back to. Its 1 maybe 2 playthroughs game at best. And the mods people made for it: "Aife Romance"? "Bisexual Kyre"? Portrait replaces? lol I'm pretty sure BB fanbase can do something better than this shit if they had tools.

BB on the other hand is a very replayable sandbox, that lacks improvements, some features and content. Even with it's monotonous nature i played this game for 200+ hours and will replay it when the dlc is out. Mods could have added some more variety to gameplay, new crises, more enemies, more battlefields, more events, made it less grindy maybe. But with poor mod tools i dont know if it's worth it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Agree with Fargus . There are games that would benefit A LOT from modding - generally everything that is a sandbox or roguelike (or both).
While other things don't really work with modding, like story-driven games - what would you want to mod in Vikings? Another character? Portraits? More side missions to completely blow up any experience balance? Eh... not really.
There's a reason mods for NWN rarely touch the main campaign, instead creating whole new campaigns - which afaik isn't doable with the Vikings toolkit.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DEV BLOG #99: THE HEXE

The upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC will add a variety of new beasts and related creatures to the world of Battle Brothers. We’re going to introduce new opponents to cover the early, mid and late game. Some of them will be pretty complex to fight, and others more straight-forward. Some will be magical creatures, and some plain beasts, but all of them will come with their own unique mechanics to challenge you.

To start things off, we’ll be taking a look at the Hexe today. It’s the first of two upcoming spellcaster type opponents we’re adding, and intended for spicing up the mid to late game. Let’s roll!

THE HEXE
The Hexe is a witch inspired by Grimm’s fairy tales, a malevolent old crone living in swamps and forests outside of villages alone or in a coven with other Hexen. They’re human, but have long sacrificed their humanity for otherworldly powers. They’re feared, but also worshipped by some. They’re burned at the stake, and yet people seek them out to plead for miracles. They lure and abduct little children to make broth and concoctions out of, they strike terrible pacts with villagers to receive their firstborn, they weave curses and cast hexes. Their huts may or may not be made of candy. With her sorcery, a Hexe can enthrall wild beasts, and even warp the mind of humans, and so will often be found in the company of creatures that serve her.

The Hexe has two skills in combat. The first one is called ‘Charm’ and works like this: From her shriveled lips, the crone blows one of your men a seductive kiss to bewitch their mind. A strong-willed individual can resist with a successful resolve check, but otherwise they’re doomed to have their senses warped and to fall under the spell’s dominion for several turns until the effect wears off. To the ensorcelled, the Hexe no longer appears as an old crone, but a youthful lady with radiant beauty for which they will gladly obey every command. They’ll be eager to shield the witch from arrows with their bodies, and not think twice about hacking their comrades to pieces in order to protect their beloved. Should every last man on the battlefield be mind-controlled by a Hexe, the coven will have them all commit suicide in order to end the battle.

Even though the Hexe is old and fragile, has no melee attack, and in fact no Zone of Control, she isn’t quite defenseless. Her second skill is also a spell; it’s called ‘Hex’ and can be cast on one enemy at a time. Anyone that has a hex cast on them is cursed to feel the same pain and receive the same wounds as the Hexe does. It’s mutually assured destruction when the Hexe defends herself by giving you a choice: Attack her, and risk the health and potentially even life of one of your men, or let the hag live for another round, hoping that she doesn’t do too much damage in the meantime and that you can get her before she casts another hex. Or at least casts it on someone who can take a blow for the team.

Fighting a Hexe is different from fighting most other opponents in the game. For starters, the stronger you are, the stronger the Hexe gets, as you’ll spend a good time dealing with your own men turned hostile. Her two skills also make for a more puzzle-esque battle than usual, but the right approach can turn a seemingly impossible challenge into a manageable one. Maces and nets are useful for disabling your own men while they’re charmed, rushing or taunting the Hexe can be effective, and having solid resolve is always helpful. What tactics can you come up with to beat her?

Join us again next week for a look at a new beast that you’ll soon be able to meet on the field of battle – one that uses brute strength and not trickery of the mind.

:shredder::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hrymr

Educated
To the ensorcelled, the Hexe no longer appears as an old crone, but a youthful lady with radiant beauty for which they will gladly obey every command. They’ll be eager to shield the witch from arrows with their bodies, and not think twice about hacking their comrades to pieces in order to protect their beloved.
:mlady::mlady::mlady:
Maybe the Eunuch background should provide some resistance to the charm spell.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
How will those witches work in many-sided combats?
Will they always target players units?
Can they do anything against undead, beasts or greenskins on battlefield?

Reinhardt

Arcane
To the ensorcelled, the Hexe no longer appears as an old crone, but a youthful lady with radiant beauty for which they will gladly obey every command. They’ll be eager to shield the witch from arrows with their bodies, and not think twice about hacking their comrades to pieces in order to protect their beloved.
:mlady::mlady::mlady:
Maybe the Eunuch background should provide some resistance to the charm spell.
Or that horse fucker you rescue in event.

Fargus

Arcane
What is that horse fucker event you guys talking about? Played the game for a long time, but never encountered it. Like wtf?

Anyway, great news. Can't wait to murder some witch-bitches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom