Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Cross

Arcane
The archvile is the single worse enemy in video game history. Fuck you.
You should be ecstatic then, since with nuDoom's disappearing corpses, there won't be anything for the Arch-Vile to actually resurrect.

Ash

Arcane
The archvile is the single worse enemy in video game history. Fuck you.

Hi.
latest

No. Blood's Hell Hands say Hi
B1_hand_from_hell.gif

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Announcement in 3 hours, so what are you goyim hoping to see in the sequel?

• Either do away with arenas or do away with the "exploration" segments devoid of enemies inbetween these arenas. Having both merely segments the action with boring walking and kills the pacing. They were doing their own thing, but at the same time they shoehorned in exploration and colored keycard level progression because it's a Doom game so it must have keycards. Make up your damn mind. The alternative is to fuse both seamlessly like the OG did, and I think the potential is there to make it work with the enemies of nuDoom. That said, I don't think that there's inherently anything wrong with arena level design and that it is a concept worth exploring, though nuDoom barely did that to begin with.
  • Arenas which actually influence how combat plays out. A different arrangement of platforms doesn't really do anything that makes one arena stand out from the other, other than the visuals and enemy types used. Arenas ought to feature more environmental hazards to make you think more how you move about. Arenas with more of an emphasis on platforming, like the Argent Tower or the bridge cllimb after getting the double jump boots, but with more enemies to make them an actual threat.
  • Replace Glory Killing with a dashing move like in Doom VFR. I don't care about your fancy pants animations, just let me kill shit by ramming into staggered enemies for health and let me be on my way. Canned animations slow the whole thing down and let enemies circle around me because I can't see what's going on around me when performing a Glory Kill.
  • Make Glory Kills actually worth using in the first place. When you're at normal health, enemies only drop +5 HP/+10HP which is absolutely minimal and not really worth the risk. Glory Kills drop more health when you are on low health, but enemies already drop health when killed normally if you are at low health, so there's no real reason to ever use it. There is a rune which gives you a speed boost when doing Glory Kills, which would be useful if the boost were to be stackable as well, but unfortunately it's not a core feature even though it really should.
  • Things like air control, faster weapon switch speed, explosive barrel immunity and speed boosts on Glory Kills ought to be core features and not locked behind upgrades. The game plays so much better with them that I don't know why they need to be locked away in the first place.
  • Either do away with the upgrade systems entirely in favor of a standard linear progression model, or a branching progression system where you actually need to decide between one or two options like in Overload instead of being given all useful upgrades eventually because of the ridiculous amount of given upgrade points. If you have an upgrade system, it makes no sense to have no build variety at all. Build variety is the draw of these kind of systems but nuDoom had none of that. Upgrades which are straightforward improvements with no drawbacks, or entirely linear in terms of what upgrades you can pick between are boring.
  • Don't be so hypocritical to imply "fuck story in games!" while doing so in an unskippable first-person cutscene. And then keep locking me in the type of segments where I need to wait for this guy to finish talking so I can actually move on with the game.
  • Let me use both weapon mods at once and stop locking them behind upgrades. Finding new weapons with alternate fire modes worked just fine in Unreal, you don't need to force progression for the sake of progression. Moreover having to press a button to switch between weapon mods is a pitiful console limitations, modern mouses have enough buttons to enable three fire modes at once.
  • Stop relying on cooldowns to balance out weapon mods and equipment. Cooldowns are the lazy way to do it and take away from player expression through combat. Instead of being able to use all these options to your advantage, you have to wait an arbitrary amount of time with no way to cancel cooldowns like you can cancel out of recovery frames in action games. It's more interesting to limit usage of weapon mods through resource management or another type of drawback. At most let me reduce the cooldowns somehow.
  • Replace the pitiful buttstroke melee attack with unique melee attacks for each weapon like in Vanquish.
  • Stop relying on ledge grabbing as a means of getting around and give me more ways of increasing my speed. Ledge grabbing is a crutch which slows you down in the process of waiting for the ledge grab animation to finish, and it should be treated as a crutch like in Titanfall 2. Titanfall 2 had ledge grabbing as well, but it also had several movement techniques which let you increase your speed so you could jump between two platforms without halting your momentum.
  • Let enemies actually utilize verticality against me. Enemies ought to be more dangerous if they have the high ground, like the Ogres in Quake, and enemies should make it harder for me to gain the high ground. Only Mancubi can do this because they have this shockwave attack that knocks you back if you get too close. If more enemies had more attacks which prevented you from getting too close, like a melee swing with huge reach but some wind-up, it wouldn't be so easy to traverse the arenas. The shieldguys are actually good at this (invulnerable from the front, but they have a close-range hitscan attack), they're just too slow, too weak, and rarely utilized.
  • More boss fights and more expanded ones at that. nuDoom is the only FPS which came close to having a decent boss fight, because it acknowledged your ability to jump as a means of avoiding attacks. How many first-person shooters even do something as simple as that? (Quake does this to a slight extent when it comes to jumping over Death Knight fireballs, though you need to get a lucky elevation on the fireball burst so you can actually jump over it without getting hit, but then this could be fixed if you could slide under bullets depending on the elevation of incoming projectiles) Moreover, some boss attacks required to be double jumped over. What bosses lacked is a reason to use weapons other than your strongest (Rocket Launcher/Gauss Rifle) because your weapon arsenal is designed for use against multiple enemies at once instead of a single big demon. This can be fixed by spawning regular enemies on top of the existing boss enemy. If your game is centered around crowd control, then it makes sense that the boss fights reflect this aspect of gameplay. Bosses also shouldn't be so easy by completely refilling your health and ammo between phases.
  • Repurpose some of the boss attacks in nuDoom for regular enemies or miniboss-type enemies. Attacks like the Cyberdemon being able to lock you inbetween two walls of earth rising from the ground, his wide wave projectiles you can't strafe around and need to jump over, his telegraphed aerial airstrikes, the Hell Guard's spinning hopscotch laser, or the Spider Mastermind's "the floor is lava" attack would make for very interesting additions to the regular cast of enemies.
  • Don't make the chainsaw a free ammo coupon and a free kill coupon on top. The chainsaw singlehandedly makes the ammo management in the game completely trivial, with what how many chainsaw fuel is scattered around as well. Out of ammo? Just press G on this enemy and you're good to go. It's way too easy, at which point I think they shouldn't bother with ammo limitations at all.
  • Don't make the BFG so damn OP. It's like the Serious Bombs in Serious Sam, except way more plentiful in ammo, even though nuDoom is never that hard that you're pressed to use it. I never used it because it made the game too easy when I could just pop one whenever a Baron of Hell appeared. It feels way too OP because you never feel like you earned using what amounts to a massive panic button.
  • Stop making me sit through these unskippable first-person animations every time I interact with something. It's fine when picking up new weapons, but having to watch the same animation play out when opening doors or pressing buttons gets old.
  • Let me double-jump over charging Pinkies.
  • Give me sound design on par with Devil Daggers. I want to be able to pinpoint the location of each sound so I can actually tell what's going on around me in spite of my limited field of vision, so I don't feel at the complete mercy of the game when I get flanked by an enemy I never registered at all. nuDoom was practically disorienting with its sound design where everything had this reverb effect slapped on top, explosions sounded lousy, and enemies were barely audible. Enemies don't even make footstep sounds. The music is way too loud for this purpose as well. The audio mixing for nuDoom plain sucked.
  • The earlier weapons (Pistol, Combat Shotgun, Plasma Rifle) and the Minigun are completely useless compared to the rest (outside of some weapon mods, Plasma Rifle Stun Bomb is too OP). They should be more useful endgame, or at least make ammo rarer for the power weapons. The Minigun takes too long to wind up and slows you down with the triple barrel, which gets you easily killed on the highest difficulties where standing still is paramount to being shark food. The Minigun doesn;t need the dumb spin-up time. OTOH the Gauss Rifle needs to be nerfed strongly, especially when using it with Siege Mode, because it can effectively two-shot Barons with little effort.
  • There ought to be more active enemies at once, because a lot of arenas feel too empty for their own good. This isn't as straightforward in nuDoom because having too many agile enemies with capable AI and very fast projectile attacks can be overwhelming, and the amount of attacks which can happen at once are restricted, so having too many enemies at once would result in most enemies not doing anything. Instead, there ought to be more "utility" enemies whose top priority isn't to kill you, but to do other things which are nonetheless detrimental to your survival, like placing mines around the arena to deny you freedom of movement, shielding other enemies with a physical barrier they can shoot through but you can't, healer enemies which recover demons from a stagger state, more summoner enemies, demons which steal your weapons, enemies which just spam the area with slow bullets or grenades, enemies which can slow you down, that kind of thing. It would be less overwhelming in terms of attacks you have to take into account, anyways.
  • Actually utilize all the enemies properly. The Summoner, Spectres, Lost Souls, Barons of Hell, and IMO Hell Knights weren't used as often as they could have been.
  • More projectile types. Like homing projectiles, wide projectiles, streaming projectiles, projectiles which leave a damaging trail, MIRV projectiles, destructible projectiles, slow tracking lasers, what have you. Possessed Soldiers had this interesting airburst attack, but it never saw much use alongside the enemy itself because it was too damn slow. Hell Razers could technically snipe you with their continuous lasers, but they are too damn inaccurate for that to ever happen.

Jezal_k23

Fuck it. I liked Doom 2016 and this new footage looked great (and part of it seemed to be on PC). My only gripe is them not calling it Hell on Earth.

Zer0wing

Cipher

"..Let's help to make our news friends' transition to their new world comfortable..."
"Demon can be an offensive term, refer to them as mortally challenged"
:lol:
Pretty sly for Id writers but ain't slippin' by me.+M

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
I don't know it's either me or this is actually much slower than arcade-mode Doom 2016, not sure if other changes are worth it without actual proper enemies shooting at ya. Hopefully it's just console version or 'journalist edition' (tm) (C)

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, looks repetitive but fine, I guess; I'll probably buy on sale. More cartoonish than I remember and sound effects still sucks IMO. It all sounds the same to me. And speaking of hearing, I can already hear the furious twitter-typing about dog-whistling alt-righters and bladdergators.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Pretty sly for Id writers but ain't slippin' by me.+M

"Earth is the Melting Pot of the Universe"

Endless Hellish Wastelands on the screen

Well, the colour palette and the monster designs look weirdly.... Doom-ified. Like, more Doom than Doom3. It looks like a good Doom mod: fast, and I hope theymanage to keep the vertical focus.

Infinitum

Scholar
Am I the only one bothered that they didn't name this "Eternal DOOM" instead to stick with the series naming convention?

Zer0wing

Cipher
And speaking of hearing, I can already hear the furious twitter-typing about dog-whistling alt-righters and bladdergators.
"Virgin libshit Machinegames vs Chad redpilled /ourguy/ Id Software"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom