Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sengoku Rance is kind of a strange case because it's considered so good that it's very likely there's a decent amount of people who would be willing to purchase the game despite having played the fan-translation for free, especially due to its replayability. There really aren't a lot of games in comparable circumstances to that.
It's not like the game has aged particularly in terms of graphics or interface either.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Arunaru said that Rance IX was already fully translated - it only needs Editing.

Evenicle's translation didn't take that long either, but apparently scripting takes ages for Alicesoft games so I doubt that translates to fast release.

KingDoofus

Scholar
I think it was roughly a year between Arunaru saying he had finished the translation and Evenicle's release.

There are certain things that could be done that might make less than a year between translation and release very feasible. In the case of Rance Quest, Maria said she had finished translating a few months ago, though I believe Mangagamer has been editing and scripting as she was translating. Unfortunately, I suspect little has been on that front so far in regards to Rance 9.

Rance4ever!

Literate
Wow they came out with 1.04 already! What are the big changes made in the latest patch?? Its 20+ MB must be big! :)

Rance4ever!

Literate
just bugfixes no new content

it's la vaswald clear bug, naked atlanta bug, more integrated unit bugs (this time card amount, last time was lvl), etc

download link on the other thread

I checked that out and saw you posted a screenshot of Awakened Cessna! How did you get that drop? I tried leveling up my Cessna to Lv 80+, used her in every battle, got her naked version and with Purupet and Rare Chest Drop skills checked, I still did not get her drop! I really could use her anti sleep skill against Warg, what do you have to do to get her to drop?? Is it during the event phase you need to choose her event? I didn't see any event with Cessna in that turn so its a mystery??

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have a question about Sengoku Rance.

Miki is fleeing and turning into the Demon King. I try to find her, but to search her for the third time I need 30 Search. The combined total of my best 5 Search values is 28, so there's no way to finish the search. Am I royally fucked or is there a way past the 30 Search threshold?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I have a question about Sengoku Rance.

Miki is fleeing and turning into the Demon King. I try to find her, but to search her for the third time I need 30 Search. The combined total of my best 5 Search values is 28, so there's no way to finish the search. Am I royally fucked or is there a way past the 30 Search threshold?
You can pay the 30 search over multiple actions. When you fail to search, it reduces the search cost by your total.

Jason Liang

Arcane
1434979376675.png

Rance VI.

From haniho. Makes me wish that the OAV series will actually get to Rance VI and SR one day. I think Rance VI's story is THAT GOOD.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Senhime or Lady Sen (千姫; April 11 (May 26 in Gregorian calendar), 1597 – February 6 (March 11), 1666) was the eldest daughter of the shogun Tokugawa Hidetada and his wife Oeyo. She was born during the warring-states period of Japanese history. Her paternal grandfather was the founder of the Tokugawa shogunate Tokugawa Ieyasu; her maternal grandfather was Azai Nagamasa; her grandmother was Oichi, whose brother was Oda Nobunaga.

In 1603, when Senhime was seven years old, she married the successor to the Toyotomi clan, Toyotomi Hideyori and lived with him in Osaka Castle along with his mother, Lady Yodo, who was a sister of Oeyo. Little is known about their life together, but it didn't last long as her grandfather, Ieyasu, besieged the castle in 1615, when she was just nineteen. When Osaka castle fell, Hideyori was forced to commit suicide along with his mother. Senhime was luckier and had been rescued from the castle before it fell.

In 1616, Ieyasu remarried Senhime to Honda Tadatoki, a grandson of Honda Tadakatsu, and in few years she moved to Himeji.

A famous legend tells that a certain Sakazaki Naomori planned to capture Senhime just before her remarriage, wishing to marry her himself. However his plan was revealed and Naomori was either killed or forced to commit suicide. It was long believed that Naomori was the one who saved Senhime out from the Osaka Castle, believing the words of Tokugawa Ieyasu that he would give Senhime to whoever rescued her, though recently this has been doubted. Stories tell that Senhime refused to marry Naomori, whose face was ill-favored because of the burn he got when he saved her, and rather preferred handsome Tadatoki.

Senhime and Tadatoki had an amicable marriage and had two children together, a daughter, Katsuhime and a son, Kōchiyo. However tragedy struck when Kōchiyo died at the age of three, and five years later in 1626, Tadatoki died of tuberculosis. His mother and Oeyo (then known as Sūgen'in) died in the same year. As was the tradition for a widow at that time, Senhime cut her hair short and became a Buddhist nun, taking the name Tenjuin (天樹院), moved back to Edo and spent the long years of the rest of her life there.
v3H8TZc.jpg

AliceSoft turned her into 戦姫, warrior princess.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
1434979376675.png

Rance VI.

From haniho. Makes me wish that the OAV series will actually get to Rance VI and SR one day. I think Rance VI's story is THAT GOOD.
I'm playing vi now. It's pretty good, but the combat has grown somewhat tiring.

I also feel people don't really react harshly enough to rance indirectly causing the death of millions of people.

I am pretty hyped for more rance now though, if only mangagamer would speed up their release schedule.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing vi now. It's pretty good, but the combat has grown somewhat tiring.

Keep us updated on your progress!
I'm actually pretty close to the end, final dungeon i think. Pretty annoying with all the fake floors and poison ground.

Is there a special reward for clearing all hanny clubs 10 times? The game hinted at it, but only once so idk.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just some challenges for completion (iirc), including the toughest challenge fight in the game. It's not ten times; you are supposed to beat each hanny set the same number of times; there's signage that tells you how many times you've beaten each set.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Just some challenges for completion (iirc), including the toughest challenge fight in the game. It's not ten times; you are supposed to beat each hanny set the same number of times; there's signage that tells you how many times you've beaten each set.
Yeah, I've done that but someone says something like "multiply it by ten and something truly amazing happens".

Hanny king does indeed seem very difficult.

The difficulty in this game is sorta all over the place in general, some of the hard fights(red clouds) are easier than random encounters, some I've found impossible (since I don't grind). And half the maps you can't even revisit.

After a while I also had enough of getting fucked over for daring to try and progress with few active dudes, and started retreating often (less fun, but also less complete redos).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Got to the Rance VI postgame. Ending was pretty cool.

Anyone know where the amazon/amundsan gal monster can be found? I got all the rest during the game. (Please something more deterministic than gal prison)

Jason Liang

Arcane

Anyone know where the amazon/amundsan gal monster can be found? I got all the rest during the game. (Please something more deterministic than gal prison)
iirc there was an Amazon in the last map in one of the set fights and that's the one I captured. There was only one gal monster I didn't have when I got to the post game and that one I had to farm the gal prison for.

Also I remember that Patton was useful for farming the gal prison but I can no longer remember why.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

iirc there was an Amazon in the last map in one of the set fights and that's the one I captured. There was only one gal monster I didn't have when I got to the post game and that one I had to farm the gal prison for.

Also I remember that Patton was useful for farming the gal prison but I can no longer remember why.
The final gal monster is indeed hiding in a boss battle, and capturing her is far harder than dealing with the boss. So far I've only seen them in red clouds too(although they are in respawning red clouds in one dungeon).

So far in post game I've taken down hanny king (easy with self destruct spam + stuns and decoys). Most of the bosses honestly feel like battles against rng more than anything else. Fail to stun them for 2 turns? You're dead. Was so close to killing dynamic A duo, but no stuns or interrupts wanted to happen for 2 turns.

I suppose if I grinded a bit(or used my xp bread and stat items), it would be faster so would require shorter chains of successes, but it's still not very good design I feel.

Edit: popped my stat items, and xp bread, farmed/hacked everyone to max FR. Still took two tries for A+A fight, everything else died on first try (gold hanny was close).

I also want to say I'm annoyed by the mangagamer translators for choosing different terminology than what is on the wiki.

In the end, I would say Rance VI is a decent enough blobber, mostly kept above badness due to the story and characters. Gameplay is pretty shallow (90% of the time you just use the basic attacks), only depth comes from how you upgrade your characters(not a lot of choices for most of them) and your team composition (protip: just picking everyone with highest level will rarely go wrong).

Quite interesting to play though, as basically everything that doesn't quite work in this was refined for sengoku and works very well in that game. Makes me quite hype for playing translated Rance Quest, as I expect that to be further refined.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
VI was the first game where I just said fuck it and used Cheat Engine in order to skip the grind for orbs. I don't think I ever bothered to finish the true last boss since I got bad luck with the stuns a few times and retrying means climbing that fucking hill all over again. Personally if the game didn't have so entertaining writing I probably wouldn't have bothered to finish it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Annise
murdered me twice before I beat the postgame boss, simply because I got bad rolls and couldn't stop her BDB.

I have yet to play through IX but so far VI is still my favorite plot-wise. VI > KR > SR > X > RQM > III > V > II > I counting story only, although again I have not finished IX or IV and I have the impression that IX is way up there as well.

II at least had Bird, but then V had Bird too.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
Not sure why when you can play RQM, you skipped IX to play X first as certain scenes in X are references to IX's story development.

Anywhere, story-wise is about your Rance's romances with his girlfriends and some bromances in Helman. :M
(Still couldn't get myself to clear all the non-canon endings cause of the combat.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom