Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
level 3 is infamous. It's where most people get party wiped, especially if they are unlucky and run into gas dragons, spectres or dragon puppies.

One should be terrified of Dragon puppies.

Wizardry%20I-II-III%20-%20Story%20of%20Llylgamyn%20J%20NP%20TEng1.00_AGTP_01970_zpsjrnbviyb.jpg

From Boot's blind Wizardry 1 LP.

Wizardry%20I-II-III%20-%20Story%20of%20Llylgamyn%20J%20NP%20TEng1.00_AGTP_00609_zpscjdfkde6.jpg

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I found you could silence/paralyse/sleep the priest/dragon combos, but when you have flies in the mix there's too many of them - and inevitably the backline members will get killed by the breathing.

I really like how, after giving your party really powerful ways to disable the enemy, they give you enemies that really have to be disabled ASAP or you die.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright, found the name of Voldemort and got past Level 4.

The 'set piece' at the monster allocation centre with the High Ninja - and it must be a set piece, I died many times and came back to the same fight - was tough, and I needed dear old F.BACON to learn lahalito to effectively take the ninja down while everyone else disabled the spellcasters.

The economy is really weird in this game though. After the fight I picked up a ring of death (guaranteed drop? random?), which killed CHOMSKI even though he never equipped it. And then I could sell it for 250k?! So, in short, now I have all the money to buy everything I could possibly want from the shop (unless the inventory changes later on), and also to rest and heal and revive and... it might as well be an infinite money token. Is it meant to be this way? Honestly, it's not great design.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's intentional, yes. Good call on not equipping it. Cash will only take you so far in Proving Grounds, anyway.
And that's not the ring of death, that's the RING of DEATH!

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
oh, I'm currently flying this too, currently has reached 6th floor but still dicking around on 4th and 5th floor to level up.

on the snes version at least, with a little bit of luck I could avoid set piece encounter by running away and re-entering the area until I got a "friendly" encounter, so I never really fought any difficult fights so far :M

Shin

Cipher
Finally got started on my Wiz7 playthrough (finished 6 last year; had a lot of fun with it), some questions though:
- I remember switching a lot of classes in 6 so I could get access to a bunch of spells and also gave everyone access to ninjutsu/the hiding skill. Now I remember attribute points got reset when changing classes in 6; is this still the same in 7? Most of my party is around level 7 now and their stats seem to be pretty high overall; would it be wise to switch some characters to get access to even more spells at this point or should I just roll with my current party?
- Is there any point in opening chests without the knock knock spell? Even though Im able to open most/all doors in the first city using skullduggery, I havent been able to disarm a single trap so far.. knock knock always seems to do the job though.
- Apparently the swimming skill is important (learned that the hard way); is this a skill that improves by .. swimming or should I add a fair amount of skillpoints to it?
- The climbing skill seems to be new and it's obviously at zero on the characters that have access to it... is one character enough in this regard? Should I switch classes to make sure everyone can climb?

thanks in advance wizbros

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Now I remember attribute points got reset when changing classes in 6; is this still the same in 7?
Yep. I say change classes when leveling starts to slow down and you start to feel outpaced by the enemies.
- Is there any point in opening chests without the knock knock spell?
If you want to grind skill points, I guess? I just go with knock knock every time.
- Apparently the swimming skill is important (learned that the hard way); is this a skill that improves by .. swimming or should I add a fair amount of skillpoints to it?
You need a certain amount of points on each character, 10 I think, to be able to swim a tile without drowning. At that point you can just grind.
Dunno about climbing, sorry.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright, found the name of Voldemort and got past Level 4.

The 'set piece' at the monster allocation centre with the High Ninja - and it must be a set piece, I died many times and came back to the same fight

Using save states? :(

I am, but trying not to savescum so much. I found the ninjas at some point, got TPK'd horribly, loaded state & came back way later to find basically the same composition?

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
- I remember switching a lot of classes in 6 so I could get access to a bunch of spells and also gave everyone access to ninjutsu/the hiding skill. Now I remember attribute points got reset when changing classes in 6; is this still the same in 7? Most of my party is around level 7 now and their stats seem to be pretty high overall; would it be wise to switch some characters to get access to even more spells at this point or should I just roll with my current party?

Races and classes both have minimum stat requirements. When switching class, stats go down to the higher of the minimums for your race and the class you are switching to. They will build back up as you level back up, though that is random (and they can go down, too). Check the manual for race and class minimums.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's why you shouldn't switch chars all at once, maybe 2 at a max at the same time

Tigranes

Arcane
Welp, Sagan the Priest failed a temple res, then a temple ashes-recover-thingie, and now he's toast.

It's cool that you can take a couple of new characters and train them up very quickly, though. Within ten minutes I have a new level 6 priest (& thief, why not) ready to roll with the level 10 veterans.

In terms of map, Level 5 wasn't so bad, especially with all the new gear bought from the cash. Mapping out level 6 now.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
How does one deal with character death in Wiz VI? As in, in the better early ones, you rolled a new character, paid for ressurection, etc. How is this done in Wiz VI?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You find an Amulet or Ankh of Life or something in the beginning, which has limited (seven?) charges of Raise Dead or Resurrection.
You can even resurrect characters in combat, which can be veru useful when facing the nastiest of enemies.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Finally got my nuclear blast, men.

Tiltowait rather
Did you patch the game with the Cosmic Forge editor? Otherwise you're in for a disappointment.
It's not quite the 'fuck you lol" as old tiltowait, but I definitely like that it's hitting all rows
I meant that the spell is bugged. IIRC, if one enemy resists the spell, all enemies resist it. The CM editor has the fix listed under "Bugfix," so I'd say it's a bug.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Ah, that blows. I haven't quite experienced that in a way that's jumped out at me yet

Tigranes

Arcane
Welp, nearly had a party wipe. Wandering around level 7, the teleporter at the very start of the level cut me off from the stairs, and then I had to map out basically half the level, including plenty of dark zones, until I could find the elevator. In the meantime the lizards stoned two party members, then others got poisoned - my new cleric DAWKINS never fucking learned Latumofis for some reason at level 8. That left me with just HEGEL the fighter, who with his 80 HP roamed the dark halls until he could make it back.

And then, of course, turned out I had pooled all my gold on some dead fuck, so I had to sell some equipment to raise them all then buy it back.

(Apparently NES Level 7 is one where there's a completely different layout, and one which is really mazelike.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom