Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd Gods - phase-based spacetime travel RPG about the 1990s

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Magazines, you say?

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is this actually simultaneous TB or just a normal RTwP system mislabeled as simultaneous TB? What was that recent game that had it completely wrong? The one with the city drowned in water? It wasn't a horrible game but RTwP doesn't equal simultaneous TB, a completely different thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this actually simultaneous TB or just a normal RTwP system mislabeled as simultaneous TB? What was that recent game that had it completely wrong? The one with the city drowned in water? It wasn't a horrible game but RTwP doesn't equal simultaneous TB, a completely different thing.
The answer's on the first page.

Roqua

Prospernaut

I asked because I didn't want to read through tons of posts to have a simple question answered. If you know, and replied, I don't understand the level of jerk needed in not just answering the simple question. The OP stated this-

Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).

Again, almost every modern game that claims it is simultaneous TB and has not been anything close to it.

Most people willing to reply to a question they know, and the question was posed obviously to avoid reading a bunch of posts, would just answer the question instead of giving an answer that requires doing what was trying to be avoided.

What is wrong with you nuCodexers?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Again, almost every modern game that claims it is simultaneous TB and has not been anything close to it.

You can't say that about Desert War 1940-1942.

I've never heard of it. But I stick to rpgs mostly. If its a wargame type of simulator I think I read somewhere that there are really old wargames, from old Greece at least, maybe older, that had simultaneous/concurrent TB games. I've never gotten into wargames, I did check out some when I was more into systems when I was younger and concurrent TB seemed to be a lot more common with them than rpgs. There are rpg examples too, like the Burning Wheel comes to mind. I just can't stand when devs try to redefine a term already defined and re-label pretty much exactly what RT games like the IE/NWN/Kotor games did, such as get rid of the turns, but keep initiative, etc, and have active round-based combat. Is there a difference between RT systems? Sure, Darklands I don't think had a round, etc. But the one certainty that ties them all together is they don't have turns. Whether it is round based, or a queue system, etc.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I was mostly just joking. I've never seen simultaneous turns in an RPG. There's a certain strand of wargames, V-For-Victory and its successors, that use it quite effectively, and Desert War is a recent example of that.

Darklands I don't think had a round

I'm pretty sure it didn't. Graphically it was quite smooth. You wouldn't ever see your guys jerking off for a half-second waiting for the round.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I asked because I didn't want to read through tons of posts to have a simple question answered. If you know, and replied, I don't understand the level of jerk needed in not just answering the simple question. The OP stated this-

Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).

Most people willing to reply to a question they know, and the question was posed obviously to avoid reading a bunch of posts, would just answer the question instead of giving an answer that requires doing what was trying to be avoided.

This isn't a megathread. There are only four pages, scroll through them and read the posts helpfully marked with a developer tag.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Word up. There's been a few simultaneous turn-based systems like ours over the years, but they're bloody rare.

We call ours 'phase based', it's not RTWP, it's actually true simultaneous turns. A page or so ago in this thread I went it in some detail. It's hard to find examples in cRPGs (it is waay more common in pen and paper RPGs like Pendragon, Tunnels and Trolls I and older / military wargaming), but here's one ;)

Origin Systems' Knight of Legend, featuring the Ultima series crossover character Seggallion (trivia - I wrote some Seggallion stuff for Ultima V Lazarus, which is how I know about that combat system).

220px-Knights_of_Legend_Cover.jpg

The Knight of Legend box art featured the mightiest perm I've ever seen on RPG box art. Played a fair bit of it while doing research on our system, although I haven't clocked KoL yet...

There's a few more examples of simultaneous turn-based systems: Laser Squad Nemesis. Some game the dude from Penny Arcade told me about at PAX, but I can't remember it... I'll update this post if/when I find it. Copper Dreams has a similar system I think (although I haven't played a build yet, so I could be wrong). Frozen Synapse does something similar as well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Iron Danger is doing phase based.

Can you elaborate a little bit on alignment system? Are all different genres to factions or are they just good old alignment systems with genre names?

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Iron Danger is doing phase based.

Can you elaborate a little bit on alignment system? Are all different genres to factions or are they just good old alignment systems with genre names?

I thought Iron Danger was RTWP with a rewind mechanic, unless I've missed something. I'll check it out.

Good question! Music genre (and genre 'stream') affect NPC / Party Member disposition, and also map to factions you'll encounter, e.g. you could encounter a tribe of ravers gone feral in Iron Age Britain who worship Underground Electronic music, if that makes sense.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Another 'alignment' feature I've always wanted to try out is conversion/impostering - I like the idea of someone masquerading as a.. a punk, for example to infiltrate a faction. Get the appearance right to get through the front door, but then you have to do a lot of fast talking to keep up the facade. Just a thought. Might surface as a one-off, but it'd be nice to make a proper system out of it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another 'alignment' feature I've always wanted to try out is conversion/impostering - I like the idea of someone masquerading as a.. a punk, for example to infiltrate a faction. Get the appearance right to get through the front door, but then you have to do a lot of fast talking to keep up the facade. Just a thought. Might surface as a one-off, but it'd be nice to make a proper system out of it.
I think that this is a thing that more than a few people would love to see in more games. At least, I do.

Roqua

Prospernaut

This isn't a megathread. There are only four pages, scroll through them and read the posts helpfully marked with a developer tag.

Again, why waste both our times by continuing to reply to a question without answering the question? Is that something dickheads do? Yes. But the real reason, we both understand, is because you couldn't answer it. You are not knowledgeable and hide it behind smarminess. That is why you will always fit into this community far more than I do. The nuCodex posters have created an atmosphere that is anti-knowledge, anti-intelligence, anti-sane, anti-rpg, pro-child, pro-ignorance, and pro-console.

I wish you well and hope you grow up and put more value in knowledge and learning instead of trying to look cool to your young, super hip, nuCodex compatriots. Have a good day, sir.

mondblut

Arcane
Origin Systems' Knight of Legend, featuring the Ultima series crossover character Seggallion (trivia - I wrote some Seggallion stuff for Ultima V Lazarus, which is how I know about that combat system).

It's also a game with the most appallingly boring combat known to man. :negative:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Oh, sorry, Roqua, did I touch a retard-nerve in that retard bag of flesh you call a body, retard? :positive:

D0OpB4J.png

:smug:

You nuCodexers are super funny. And super smart.

Edit - the first time I've used a button on this site was a day or two ago. I can see why you kids like it. Its much easier than thinking or saying something worth saying, or being adult. Simple, like nuCodexers.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks very nice and I'm excited for it. The main website could be easier to navigate though, as it's really unintuitive.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Looks very nice and I'm excited for it.

Thanks! That is, if you're referring to OG ;)

The main website could be easier to navigate though, as it's really unintuitive.
Yeah, totally agree. When it comes to web design, I couldn't design a hot fart in an old pair of trackie dacks, although I can hack something together that's vaguely on theme. Need to fix it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom