Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'll admit that OW has some good fapbait characters and R34, but if you play the game then you are still a cuck.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's hard to suck at Overwatch even if you tried. I'm frankly astounded at Blizzard's ability to not only reel in retards to their shit games, but also manage to dumb down and casualize any genre they step foot in. Funny how all the people defending this piece of shit are cucks and jrpg players.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Der Unterwatch spieler has no argument, and can only manage to press buttans in tears when someone insults Blizzard.
"S-stop insulting this game now you stupid goy and buy more lewtbawkses!"

abija

Prophet
Skill ceiling high enough to not be reached and millions of players. Sure as hell better than "pro" games with shit population...

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
But let's see what this gets me:

Sakimichan should learn how to draw female faces. They all look exactly the same

Dgf9P3qVQAEgBgs.jpg

DfSQsNIWAAAEQWy.jpg

DdrqCmAUQAACO9Y.jpg

Dcy17AXVwAAcyNj.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sakimichan should learn how to draw female faces. They all look exactly the same
And bodies, for that matter. Skin color and which direction their hair points are the only things that differentiate any of these clones. He even had to write Sombra's name on her underwear ... basically they wear name tags ... in fact I think that first picture of "Tracer" and "Widow" is the same drawing with the "flip horizontal" and "colorize" tools used.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
With coloring/shading skills that op, most of his patreons wouldnt notice the samey faces anyway.

Turbo normie

Scholar
It's hard to suck at Overwatch even if you tried. I'm frankly astounded at Blizzard's ability to not only reel in retards to their shit games, but also manage to dumb down and casualize any genre they step foot in. Funny how all the people defending this piece of shit are cucks and jrpg players.

Have you done anything in a competitive scene on UT99, Q3, Tribes, Painkiller etc ?
Because it's always the same shit most of the time when I read something based on "how easy OW is" or "So casualised this FPS is" this comes from low/mid skilled player in FPS who have just experimented FPS during the great era in a garage with few friends as bad as them.

OW can be criticized on many aspects. But please, pretending to be a high skilled fps player just to be cool on a forum doesn't make you accurate.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I bought the game during the sale last week after fooling around a bit on the free weekend. Addictive, I'm filling a lot of my spare hours with this, it speaks to my need for TF2 after my TF2 community died, although it's weird that the typical game lasts for freakin 5 minutes and then you're kicked back to main menu. Looking at this thread it seems odd that there is a lot of drama about whether OW is a successful "e-sport". Should I care about that in any way? I'm having fun learning the characters and getting good. Quick play matches seem to matchmake a lot faster than comp matches and matchmaking balance seems equally fucked in either mode, plus comp players are SO ANGRY COMPLAIN BOSSY so it seems like QP is the way to go for actual fun. My current "strategy" is to play characters I have low win % with to understand how they work better. With just a few victories my Reaper % went from 10% win rate to over 40%! Plus I found the mariachi outfit. That's about the level of serious investment I have in the game. OK, OK, I'm still a little drunk from last night, take this post fwiw.

You are on a honeymoon phase. I loved the game in the beginning too but eventually if you actually want to shoot things and not play moba, the game will get frustrating. Lower ranks/quick play are filled with retards so you won't even experience the real game until 4100 + sr. The main problem is there are way too much healing, shields, and really tanky heroes that make standard fps heroes really annoying to play.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

Have you done anything in a competitive scene on UT99, Q3, Tribes, Painkiller etc ?
Because it's always the same shit most of the time when I read something based on "how easy OW is" or "So casualised this FPS is" this comes from low/mid skilled player in FPS who have just experimented FPS during the great era in a garage with few friends as bad as them.

OW can be criticized on many aspects. But please, pretending to be a high skilled fps player just to be cool on a forum doesn't make you accurate.

The game has high skill cap for certain heroes, but it doesn't change the fact that some retard with no aim no brain can achieve similar or higher rank without getting good at any fps fundamentals, by simply picking a casual friendly op hero. Not to mention how much of current meta and hero design and all about making sure that people that can aim can't do shit.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are on a honeymoon phase. I loved the game in the beginning too but eventually if you actually want to shoot things and not play moba, the game will get frustrating. Lower ranks/quick play are filled with retards so you won't even experience the real game until 4100 + sr. The main problem is there are way too much healing, shields, and really tanky heroes that make standard fps heroes really annoying to play.
Personally I think it's nice to see substantial roles and teamplay so much more important than sheer Korean reflexes - being the leetest noscoping pixel sniper never interested me. I may get sick of OW for sure but the strong dynamics here are refreshing.

The only thing I find somewhat tiresome is that hard counters are so hard, and evolving your team makeup over the course of a game is expected. I like to pick a hero and stick with it for the whole game.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
A retard can only achieve things against another retards in this game.

Overwatch is a game that can reward a lot of different skills, and pure aiming is just one of them. There's players with great vision of the flow of the matches. Anothers that excel in positioning. Other with great aiming, anothers with huge reflexes. Healers who know what character are a priority to heal in a teamfight. Tanks who know how to move their entire team and push properly the point... Of course, you can pick Moira and get 50 kills (Not pure kills, just kills that counts no matter if you inflict 100 or 1 dmg to the enemies)... in quickplay against noobs that don't know how to fight against Moira, with shit comps and poor choices.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
A retard can only achieve things against another retards in this game.

Overwatch is a game that can reward a lot of different skills, and pure aiming is just one of them. There's players with great vision of the flow of the matches. Anothers that excel in positioning. Other with great aiming, anothers with huge reflexes. Healers who know what character are a priority to heal in a teamfight. Tanks who know how to move their entire team and push properly the point... Of course, you can pick Moira and get 50 kills (Not pure kills, just kills that counts no matter if you inflict 100 or 1 dmg to the enemies)... in quickplay against noobs that don't know how to fight against Moira, with shit comps and poor choices.

Here is the thing tho when it comes to moba like skills, it is really shallow and if people like that sorta thing just play dota. I do. The "A lot of difference skills" is just an excuse bad players give when they don't have fps fundamentals. Every character requires decision making which is basically what you call "different skills". It's just some characters flat out don't require ANY fps ability to play. Good example of support that requires btoh is zen or maybe ana, zarya for tank, and a lot of dps characters. Characters like Moira, Brigitti, Winston, etc... are not any more difficult in decision making then the well designed characters. They don't require additional "different skills". They are just flat out boring casual designs that only remove from the game. And frankly it doesn't bother me if there is 1-2 such characters for people that legitimately can't aim for whatever reason. But when the entire meta is built around clicking in general direction - that is not longer an fps. Early s1-3 meta was way better before they went full casual with hero designs.

If you don't see a problem with that, you just don't enjoy fps games and should instead play any of the excellent moba games that exist. It is rather annoying tho that criticizing fps for lack of good fps fundamentals is seen by someone as somehow elitist or whatever. Just apply it to any other genre like fighting games. No one would be surprised for fighting game was being criticized for lacking good skillful fgc fundamentals like rewarding reads and framde data knowledge.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
first person games that allow you to play without being a pixel ninja are fundamentally bad
fuck off

Yea when evaluating fps game, rewarding strong fps fundamentals is a good thing. Why is that so controversial? There is a lot of tactics that go into "pixel ninja" like good positioning, being unpredictable in movement, predicting player movement. Dismissing it as pixel ninja is dishonest if your using it as many do in a "brainless activity" way.

Zombra

Patron
first person games that allow you to play without being a pixel ninja are fundamentally bad
fuck off
Yea when evaluating fps game, rewarding strong fps fundamentals is a good thing. Why is that so controversial? There is a lot of tactics that go into "pixel ninja" like good positioning, being unpredictable in movement, predicting player movement. Dismissing it as pixel ninja is dishonest if your using it as many do in a "brainless activity" way.
Thing is you can say that about any skill. Just because you put a label on what kind of game it is doesn't mean you get to redesign it in your image or state that the "real" fundamentals are different from the actual fundamentals the designers intended. It wasn't a mistake that they have heroes that don't need to aim. They didn't just forget to make everyone snipers.

I'm good at memorizing numbers and repeating them back. I could say that this game sucks because it doesn't force everyone to memorize numbers and repeat them back while doing other things, because other people don't have the same mad skills I have. I hate all these dumb noobs who can't memorize numbers easily, they just devalue the game by thinking they can compete with my mad memorizing. They're outflanking me with superior strategy but they didn't have to memorize any numbers! Clearly this game sucks.

These "strong fundamentals" you're talking about are just things you happen to be good at and enjoy, that doesn't make them required here or anywhere.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Here is a game with strong fps fundamentals. The guy does a very good job explaining his decision making https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58 during a match. It should be pretty clear none of this is lul just hit targets lul.
I mean, I could probably post any half-decent Tracer/Genji/Cree player and preface his gameplay with such a statement and you'd have to backpedal pretty hard to deny that you're probably dealing with a player that's both agile and clever.
I agree that it's dishonest to say that strong FPS fundamentals are all about monkeying around on the keyboard and mouse, and I wouldn't go so far as to accuse anything of favoring being a pixel ninja, because that is awfully reductionist, but this elitist argument is utterly pointless.
I'm probably being obnoxiously moderate in these discussions and I do agree OW has some faults in terms of depth, but overall, I'd rather enjoy games for what they are rather than what they are not.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
fuck off
Thing is you can say that about any skill. Just because you put a label on what kind of game it is doesn't mean you get to redesign it in your image or state that the "real" fundamentals are different from the actual fundamentals the designers intended. It wasn't a mistake that they have heroes that don't need to aim. They didn't just forget to make everyone snipers.

I'm good at memorizing numbers and repeating them back. I could say that this game sucks because it doesn't force everyone to memorize numbers and repeat them back while doing other things, because other people don't have the same mad skills I have. I hate all these dumb noobs who can't memorize numbers easily, they just devalue the game by thinking they can compete with my mad memorizing. They're outflanking me with superior strategy but they didn't have to memorize any numbers! Clearly this game sucks.

These "strong fundamentals" you're talking about are just things you happen to be good at and enjoy, that doesn't make them required here or anywhere.

The problem is by removing those things you do nothing but create a more shallow and boring game. They could keep the same hero designs more or less AND have them rely on fps fundamentals. Removing depth just so some people don't have to learn to actually play fps games is pure indefensible decline. Memorizing numbers is not an interesting mechanic to have in fps. You r not arguing in good faith.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Here is a game with strong fps fundamentals. The guy does a very good job explaining his decision making https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58 during a match. It should be pretty clear none of this is lul just hit targets lul.
I mean, I could probably post any half-decent Tracer/Genji/Cree player and preface his gameplay with such a statement and you'd have to backpedal pretty hard to deny that you're probably dealing with a player that's both agile and clever.
I agree that it's dishonest to say that strong FPS fundamentals are all about monkeying around on the keyboard and mouse, and I wouldn't go so far as to accuse anything of favoring being a pixel ninja, because that is awfully reductionist, but this elitist argument is utterly pointless.
I'm probably being obnoxiously moderate in these discussions and I do agree OW has some faults in terms of depth, but overall, I'd rather enjoy games for what they are rather than what they are not.

Read my posts first. I said multiple times some heroes are well designed.

Zombra

Patron
The problem is by removing those things you do nothing but create a more shallow and boring game. They could keep the same hero designs more or less AND have them rely on fps fundamentals. Removing depth just so some people don't have to learn to actually play fps games is pure indefensible decline. Memorizing numbers is not an interesting mechanic to have in fps. You r not arguing in good faith.
So you have a specific skillset, and you expect every role in every game to require that skillset, and you're frustrated that excelling in that skillset doesn't make you rule over those who don't because the game was specifically designed to not be all about that skillset. You come across like a Widow player who hangs back scoring sweet headshots on unimportant targets and then complains how much your team sucks when you lose because you weren't actually doing shit to achieve the objective.

Memorizing numbers is not an interesting mechanic to have in fps.
Of course it is. There are all kinds of fascinating mechanics and play pressures that can be designed around this skill, and if you aren't interested it's because you're fundamentally unsuited for gaming.

See how that works?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
So you have a specific skillset, and you expect every role in every game to require that skillset, and you're frustrated that excelling in that skillset doesn't make you rule over those who don't because the game was specifically designed to not be all about that skillset. You come across like a Widow player who hangs back scoring sweet headshots on unimportant targets and then complains how much your team sucks when you lose because you weren't actually doing shit to achieve the objective.

Memorizing numbers is not an interesting mechanic to have in fps.
Of course it is. There are all kinds of fascinating mechanics and play pressures that can be designed around this skill, and if you aren't interested it's because you're fundamentally unsuited for gaming.

See how that works?

No I don't see how it works. This skill-set has emerged for a reason. It is satisfying and fun ignoring all the skill/strategy stuff. It does nothing but add to the game. I gave multiple examples of characters designed well from support to tank to dps. Not sure why you keep bringing up widow except for sneaking in your bias again. A widow that is ignoring the objective isn't being a good widow. No one is saying it should all be about clicking heads - stop. You think being a good widow at a high level does not require good decision making and usage of abilities?

I said multiple times already you can easily have characters that require both and do nothing but make the game more fun, competitive, and strategic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom