Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale 1 Remaster Released

Gord

Arcane
I wouldn't be too surprised if it will be introduced by way of a patch (or in the later parts).
Anyway, I'm having fun with it so far. Nice throwback to the past, with some amenities of more modern games. Only just arrived at the sewers, though.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This sort of thing would be just perfect for Ios and smartphones, just add a save anywhere option and it would be golden
So I got this for $9 and frankly it is superb, the graphics seem very nice, the extra features such as the automap are more than welcome and the gameplay is as polished as ever... hell it makes me wish for more of these, especially with that sweet automap

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The reception is pretty good. 5 stars on GoG and 97% on Steam.

At first the "remastered" art reminded me of the filtered sprites in the FF6 remaster, but it's actually not that bad. It has its own charm.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to admit, getting this for free, after backing Bard's Tale IV at $20 tier, is pretty cool. Expecially since I also got a Wasteland 2 key as a bonus earlier.

No idea how good the actual BT4 will be, but I feel like I got my money's worth nonetheless. Kudos to Fargo and inXile.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes both Bard’s Tale 4 and this have been very pleasant surprises.
I didn't back the Kickstarter since things were not looking good for Nu Torment and I didn’t want to give more money to InXlile until they delivered but you bet I will buy Bard’s Tale 4 as soon as it is available

Zeriel

Arcane
Its pretty sad that the only way we'll get real blobbers from now on is from remasters, but still happy this got released.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Was hoping this would have a toggle similar to those Monkey Island remakes where you can switch between the old and new art. Really not digging the look of these things. Cool to have it for free, tho, I suppose

Gord

Arcane
Potentially nothing, but who knows.
Could be because it's niche, because it's released too close to Pathfinder, because it's rather short, or because it's bad. Or something else...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Holy shit! Can we just name this RPG of the Year and be done with it?
It is so great dealing with game and my only pet peeve for old time blobber is the mapping... which while it is good ot could have been better by just adding a separate window for it but as it is it good enough
Since Grimoire I have not played a more entertaining blobber to be honest, hell I think it might even beat out the upcoming Bard’s Tale 4
:love:

nuclearglow

Novice
Since they rewrote everything I'm surprised they found it acceptable to make your view into the world that tiny window to the left. That kind of thing was outdated even by the early 90s.
ss_8a8933b50f84db261ec69d2618d8662108f085c2.1920x1080.jpg

Change the resolution from 4:3 to 16:9, but waste the vast majority of it.

change your resolution to 2560x1080 if possible...

bt1remaster.png

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Ugh. I bet there's not way to force it to render at this resolution and then downscale to something that can fit on my screen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ugh. I bet there's not way to force it to render at this resolution and then downscale to something that can fit on my screen.
They patched it today so that UI can be used with 16:9 resolutions, though ancient 16:10 holdovers like me are out of luck for now.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They patched it today so that UI can be used with 16:9 resolutions, though ancient 16:10 holdovers like me are out of luck for now.

16:10 is for people who actually work on their computer and not just watch movies and play games.

Cross

Arcane
It figures that when InXile finally releases a good game, it's a game they didn't actually make.

Darkzone

Arcane
change your resolution to 2560x1080 if possible...

bt1remaster.png
It even looks good in this resolution as i can confirm. Nevertheless i will not play it in this resolution, because i don't like to play games on my side monitor.

16:10 is for people who actually work on their computer and not just watch movies and play games.
16:10 is closer to the golden ratio therefore i prefer to work on a monitor with this ration, but i also have a 21:9 as a second / side monitor for testing and reading of docs. I don't think that the 16:9 is the problem, it was perhaps rather the 1080 resolution that i hate for development environments like eclipse and so on.

Remember Krome are doing a Wasteland remaster too, that should be even better than inXile's previous Wasteland rerelease: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10927
P. cool guys.
If it will be released also as a standalone i will definitely buy it, because the remaster version of BT is really good and plays real smooth. The only thing that could be better is if Attack option would be in an constant space and would only be replaced by defend if there is no attack option. Then i wouldn't even have to watch what i click at in combat.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing that could be better is if Attack option would be in an constant space and would only be replaced by defend if there is no attack option. Then i wouldn't even have to watch what i click at in combat.
Wake up and smell the H)otkeys.

Darkzone

Arcane
The only thing that could be better is if Attack option would be in an constant space and would only be replaced by defend if there is no attack option. Then i wouldn't even have to watch what i click at in combat.
Sadly my gaming routine has been spoiled by action games and for nearly everything else i use only the hotkeys / shortcuts.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Funny that I also prefer the hotkeys especially for combat; kind of great that the game can be pretty much played with the keyboard or the mouse completely... my cat loved the idea of beign petted for the whole gaming session

Darkzone

Arcane
Funny that I also prefer the hotkeys especially for combat; kind of great that the game can be pretty much played with the keyboard or the mouse completely... my cat loved the idea of beign petted for the whole gaming session
The problem is that i must entertain my both hands at the same time. Since i don't smoke cigarettes or cannabis and don't drink alcohol alone at home and don't have animals to pet, therefore the only thing that remains is to jerk off for hours to "Bard's Tale 1". And that is even for me too difficult !!!
WASD are from me the movement keys and the mouse is for targeting, attack and interaction. If we could freely keybind then i would have used some numeric keypad keys or arrow keys for Attack and Defend.

Dehumanizer

Educated

The beta patch also includes a setting so that all the combat options are shown, with the ones that are unavailable greyed out, which means they're always in the same position. It's called "Mouse Friendly Combat".
Don't use it myself (hotkeys all the way), but it's there.

acer palmatum

Scholar
The problem is that i must entertain my both hands at the same time. Since i don't smoke cigarettes or cannabis and don't drink alcohol alone at home and don't have animals to pet, therefore the only thing that remains is to jerk off for hours to "Bard's Tale 1". And that is even for me too difficult !!!

Just start masturbating to that all-time masterpiece. You will find that you want to go on forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom