Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Developer Conducts Piracy Poll

Mareus

Magister
WholesaleGenocide said:
Mareus said:
WholesaleGenocide said:
After nearly a year of lurking, I've finally decided to register.

Personally, I pirate virtually everything I possibly can -- except movies, those just suck too badly to even bother. The thing is, I truly have no intention of ever buying what I pirate. Just a few days ago (even I feel bad about this) I was attempting to find a pirated copy of Armageddon Empires. Yeah, I know -- shame on me (even I felt a little bad about stealing from an independent developer) but I just can't ever afford games because I'm a starving college student. Needless to say, I never found it, and I'll probably never play it (beyond the demo) because I'm not going to buy it.

It doesn't matter how much I want to play it, because no matter what, I'm not going to buy it. It's relatively obvious that games aren't some sort of inherent right, and perhaps it's morally wrong to take from gaming studios, but I was absolutely not going to buy the game anyways. Since it's just an electronic commodity with no physical inventory, my thievery doesn't matter at all -- nothing is physically being taken from the inventory (tm).

It's not exactly fair that I'm being amused (well, some of the time, most games suck nowadays) at the cost of the blood and sweat of a poor developer, but I really don't have much of a moral stake in them.

I'll never stop, they'll have to pry the bittorrent, p2p clients, newsgroups, and rapidshare/megaupload from my cold, dead hands.
Not all pirates are like you.

I definitely wouldn't think so, a lot of pirates have truly well-thought out justifications for pirating, often accompanied by actually buying the game, and I did too, but not anymore. Why, I remember the day when I ordered Oblivion even when I fully intended on pirating it the moment the iso hit the internet. I did it to support Bethesda, because Daggerfall was awesome, and Morrowind was pretty good in terms of the atmosphere. As you can suspect, that was a very negative experience because Oblivion was a pile of shit and I instantly regretted ever buying it. Don't get me wrong, I've bought Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, All the Fallouts, Arcanum, most of the Might and Magic games, but I just don't have the money to vote with my money anymore. [/i]
It's your choice whether you will buy or pirate the games, but have in mind one thing when you pirate the game which turns out to be great. If you don't buy it after loving it, you are not supporting the game developers who managed to create something you would want to see more of. The whole idea of piracy is to let you decide which game developers you want to support and which you don't want to support by trying out the whole game before buying it. This is in my opinion the advantage of piracy. If you blindly buy every game you think you will like based on bribed reviews, and demos that show you only the best parts of games, you will support games which you would never want to support. I don't know how many people bought Oblivion without trying it out only to be furious for spending money on it, but their dissapointment will not help much, because they already gave their money to Bethseda and have therefore supported it. What I am trying to say is this. Games are expensive, but good games are also scarce. If you ever pirate a game that manages to surprise you, you should buy the game because those developers deserve it. Remember, they worked hard for it and buying their game is the least you could do for their hard work. No matter how poor you are, good games are so rare nowadays that you will be able to afford that ONE game that comes out every year and a half, I am sure.

Hory

Erudite
denizsi said:
By the way, is it morally wrong to switch to another channel when commercials come up during a movie you are watching? Remember, the whole purpose of the movie is to get you to watch commericals...
TV toilet breaks are stealing!

Voodoo Daddy

Novice
WholesaleGenocide said:
After nearly a year of lurking, I've finally decided to register.

1springsteen.jpg
Welcome to the forums! We are very interested in what you have to say.
1dale.jpg
We are?
1springsteen.jpg
Yes, of course. One that has lurked a place such as the Codex, an sanctuary of intelligence, probably has many interesting and unique insights to share.
1dale.jpg
Whatever, Bruce.

Personally, I pirate virtually everything I possibly can -- except movies, those just suck too badly to even bother.

1springsteen.jpg
You pirate everything you can?
1dale.jpg
Maybe he's some kind of digital kleptomaniac.
1springsteen.jpg
That's pretty serious, Dick. You should really seek help for your problem, WG.
1dale.jpg
And movies do not suck. Like Casablanca. That was great.
1springsteen.jpg
The first Back to the Future was pretty great as well.
1dale.jpg
Blazing Saddles.
1springsteen.jpg
Shawshank Redemption is a classic.
1dale.jpg
The Godfather.
1springsteen.jpg
The Godfather sucked.
1dale.jpg
Oh yea? Well Blade Runner sucked even more!
1springsteen.jpg
Blasphemy!
1justin.jpg
I liked From Justin to Kelly.
1dale.jpg
What?
1justin.jpg
The actor portraying me was pretty horrible, though.
1dale.jpg
That movie wasn't about you.
1justin.jpg
And my love interest was... so-so. I could do better. Much better.
1miley.jpg
Like who?
1justin.jpg
Like you, sexy lady.
1springsteen.jpg
Moving on.

The thing is, I truly have no intention of ever buying what I pirate.

1dale.jpg
I'm glad you've come to this revelation.
1springsteen.jpg
At least he's honest.
1dale.jpg
Hitler was honest.
1springsteen.jpg
You're not really comparing some digital pirating kid to Hitler are you?
1dale.jpg
What if I am?
1springsteen.jpg
That's a little extreme.
1dale.jpg
You're a little extreme.
1springsteen.jpg
I think the word you're searching for is "epic."
1dale.jpg
Epically stupid.
1springsteen.jpg
Real mature, Dick.

Just a few days ago (even I feel bad about this) I was attempting to find a pirated copy of Armageddon Empires.

1dale.jpg
I know what you mean. I felt bad when I attempted to seduce my cousin.
1springsteen.jpg
What the hell?
1dale.jpg
Don't worry, she was like my fourth cousin.
1springsteen.jpg
Still, man! Shit. That's disgusting. And wrong.
1dale.jpg
I considered it a challenge. I can get all ladies, but could I get her?
1springsteen.jpg
I can't believe what I'm hearing. This is a whole new side of you... a horrible, horrible side that I had no idea existed.
1dale.jpg
I'm multi-faceted, Bruce.
1springsteen.jpg
... indeed.

Yeah, I know -- shame on me (even I felt a little bad about stealing from an independent developer) but I just can't ever afford games because I'm a starving college student.

1justin.jpg
I'm a starving student too... a student of love.
1miley.jpg
Whatever does that mean?
1justin.jpg
It means I need to teach you a lesson!
1miley.jpg
I'm too young, nubile, and naive to understand you, Justin.
1justin.jpg
Don't worry! I'll make you a woman!
1dale.jpg
In before Twinfalls.
1springsteen.jpg
What?
1dale.jpg
Uh... nevermind.
1springsteen.jpg
Anyways... I think the obvious answer here is that if you cannot afford something, you shouldn't steal it.
1dale.jpg
What if it's food?
1springsteen.jpg
Games aren't food.
1dale.jpg
You make a good point, Bruce.

Needless to say, I never found it, and I'll probably never play it (beyond the demo) because I'm not going to buy it.

1springsteen.jpg
Tragic.
1dale.jpg
Very.

It doesn't matter how much I want to play it, because no matter what, I'm not going to buy it. It's relatively obvious that games aren't some sort of inherent right, and perhaps it's morally wrong to take from gaming studios, but I was absolutely not going to buy the game anyways. Since it's just an electronic commodity with no physical inventory, my thievery doesn't matter at all -- nothing is physically being taken from the inventory (tm).

1springsteen.jpg
Well, it's painfully obvious that you do believes games are some sort of inherent right.
1dale.jpg
You know, Bruce, I've always wanted a private jet.
1justin.jpg
Privates!
1springsteen.jpg
Really? I had no idea.
1dale.jpg
Yep. But no matter how much I wanted one, I was never going to buy it.
1springsteen.jpg
A conundrum.
1dale.jpg
Maybe it's morally wrong to steal airplanes, but I was absolutely never going to buy it.
1springsteen.jpg
What? Wait... did you steal an airplane? How the hell did you steal an airplane?
1dale.jpg
That's not important. What's important is that nothing was physically taken from an inventory.
1springsteen.jpg
The airplane is physical, and the hangar is the inventory.
1dale.jpg
Not in the fifth dimension.
1springsteen.jpg
It's all relative, then?
1dale.jpg
Exactly. Airplanes do not exist in the fifth dimension, so to all fifth dimension denizens I was stealing nothing but a simple copy. You see, the fifth dimension is the meeting point for all other dimensions and alternate worlds. I simply took a copy from one of those alternate worlds, a resource which is always being replenished.
1springsteen.jpg
You're not making any sense.
1dale.jpg
It makes sense to me, and that's all that matters.
1springsteen.jpg
How did you steal the jet anyways?
1dale.jpg
Bittorrent.

It's not exactly fair that I'm being amused (well, some of the time, most games suck nowadays) at the cost of the blood and sweat of a poor developer, but I really don't have much of a moral stake in them.

1springsteen.jpg
So, if you don't care about them, then it doesn't matter, right?
1dale.jpg
Yep. Just like I don't care about Mexicans, so I can steal from them all I want so there's no moral stake there.
1springsteen.jpg
That's a really horrible thing to say, Dick.
1dale.jpg
Well, that's just your opinion.

I'll never stop, they'll have to pry the bittorrent, p2p clients, newsgroups, and rapidshare/megaupload from my cold, dead hands.

1dale.jpg
Fuck yea! I was initally against you, big guy, but now I realize we're on the same team.
1springsteen.jpg
I don't think we should converse anymore, Dick.
1dale.jpg
Fuck you, Bruce! I'll steal your words for myself. Nothing is physically being taken from an inventory!
1springsteen.jpg
Um...
1dale.jpg
I'm also commandeering all of your song licenses. There's no inventory there! Consider them mine, now.
1springsteen.jpg
This has gone way too far, Dick.
1dale.jpg
1springsteen.jpg
1dale.jpg
Really, man, you need to fix your sarcasm meter.
1springsteen.jpg
You had me worried there for a minute.
1justin.jpg
Hallmark moment!

RGE

Liturgist
Xi said:
"I don't like locked doors"..."If you remove those locks, I won't steal from you, I will instead goto the store and buy a similar product."
I just got the image of a store in my head. A store where the front doors are locked while the back door is not only unlocked, but also unguarded. And every customer is supposed to unlock the front doors every time they want to make a purchase. Yeah, that sounds real smart to me. :lol: (No, it's not that people would necessarily steal, it's that paying customers are being hassled with security measures while the would-be thieves can just walk right in and take what they want. Why?)

Xi said:
And sorry that I also argue this from a moral perspective, but this is the nature of interaction and fairness of such actions. Some people attribute morality to a religious belief, but this is hardly the case, and some of the best moral teachers were also the strongest advocates for anti-religious belief.
Oh, I agree. If a person needs an almighty God to keep them in check, then their true nature is probably quite nasty. I wouldn't trust people like that. :?

When I was young, everyone pirated games. That's how everyone got the games - through a long chain of pirates. I had so many pirated games for my C64, and most of them was crappy. But hey, it was fun to explore the free crap just to see if it'd be any good. The only C64 game I purchased was Wasteland, because that game never made it through the chain. Buying it wasn't a big deal, apart from having to wait and call the store every now and then to see if they'd gotten it yet, but I also never questioned the piracy I was participating in. It never occurred to me that game companies might lose too much profit to keep making the games I like, because that particular fact wasn't on my mind, and wasn't in the media. And while I bought slightly more games for my Amiga, this state of affairs remained. And for all I know, in those days it was legal to copy things for personal use.

I don't know if it's because I'm older or if it's due to media attention and internet forums, but today I see the moral and practical issues with piracy. I don't know if this applies to young people though. Or to stupid people. I was poised to buy Bioshock when it turned out that it had a rather nasty DRM scheme with limited activations. I got very disappointed, and instead of buying it I waited a few weeks and played it for free. So that's my reason for that. But apparently their DRM scheme worked out well for them, so while they lost sales to people like me, they must've gained sales from people who wanted the game as soon as possible, whether they had to pirate it or pay for it. Clearly there is a way to reach those who might be ignorant of the moral and practical issues with piracy! They respond to force! :D

And when it comes to indie developers, how many customers want their games the first day when everyone else is playing it and talking about it, and how many find their games much later, but wouldn't pay for DRM? I'm guessing that for low key games, no DRM is the right way to go, but for big, synchronised releases, any DRM that can delay the cracked version is worth the costs. And hey, if it turns out that game companies can actually be trusted to remove such DRM when it's largely inconsequential, then I wouldn't mind paying for such games in the future. I read around here that the limited activations have been removed from Bioshock, but it's a bit late for me now. The perfect time would have been when the game was cracked and was being distributed through the net. That was roughly two weeks after the release date.

Then again, I did notice some people complaining about not being able to install the game on several computers in their home, even though each player is supposed to own their own copy of the game. It's not one game per family, as some people seemed to think. And if that's a common type of piracy, and families and buddies actually end up buying extra copies of the game instead of downloading it, then I guess that the right time to let go of the activation limits may be later than the one that would've been perfect for getting my money.

Xi said:
They need someone telling them the difference between right and wrong, and will only listen when they have to. This is generally referred to as ignorance. Why is ignorance acceptable on certain levels when it should always be unacceptable? Piracy ignorance is just annoying. It fails on every level.
Oh God, I know, right? It's almost as annoying as the ignorance of the morality of eating shellfish. Why won't people see the truth? Shellfish are bad, okay? Seriously. Why the fuck do I have to explain this? You should just do what I think you should do, no explanations required. Really. Okay?

Oh, and:
I cannot afford a Ferrari I will just steal one instead.
Giggle.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I see, people now need to be PROVEN why stealing is bad.

Truly, we have the ubermensch!

Stealing? Bad!?! Chill out man, it's all relative! Murder isn't bad either. It can be very useful! And rape... I mean, they're basically asking for it, these cuntbitches!

If you are a poor fucking student and can't afford a game... how about not playing it? There's no reason to be a disgusting hedonist. Fucking consumer culture. If you want something, work for it. Assholes.

Kraszu

Prophet
The only thing stolen is revenue, if there would be no revenue anyway then what is stolen? But answer specific, not whit: would you also rape a child?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, fuck you. It's always the same cop-out bullshit. Fuck yourself; fuck you. Thieves! Scum!

Jasede said:

Truly, we have the ubermensch!

Stealing? Bad!?! Chill out man, it's all relative! Murder isn't bad either. It can be very useful! And rape... I mean, they're basically asking for it, these cuntbitches!

If you are a poor fucking student and can't afford a game... how about not playing it? There's no reason to be a disgusting hedonist. Fucking consumer culture. If you want something, work for it. Assholes.
And again, the entire dimwitted argument hinges on the equivalence of piracy and theft. Differences (ethical, legal, historical, semantical) are ignored in favour of a dogmatic adherence to one's immovable moral beliefs. Disappointing, but hardly unexpected.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes, yes. Overcome our outdated Christian morals! Yes! Be the harbinger of the new age of enlightenment, where we overcome our morals, so we can rise, RISE as a new man!

The time has come! No more pity! No more excuses! Purge the weak! The fires of the overman shall cleanse the land of weaknesses. I say to you, the time is now! Rise against your fake morals! Rise above the ties that bind, and embrace FREEDOM! Murder the morals that were your father, for it is him who represses your growth.

The time... has come...

Jasede said:
Yes, yes. Overcome our outdated Christian morals! Yes! Be the harbinger of the new age of enlightenment, where we overcome our morals, so we can rise, RISE as a new man!

The time has come! No more pity! No more excuses! Purge the weak! The fires of the overman shall cleanse the land of weaknesses. I say to you, the time is now! Rise against your fake morals! Rise above the ties that bind, and embrace FREEDOM! Murder the morals that were your father, for it is him who represses your growth.

The time... has come...
No need for hysterics, dear.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh, oh, but there is! There is! The army of change is marching on the cathedral that is our outdated moral.

Cheer, brothers, sisters, as they demolish these ancients halls of stone; these boulders that chain us to our tiny fate.

I look outside the window, and it is as if I spy a golden ray of light. But now I know: this is not God. This is the dead body of God, for we have finally killed him, and the beautiful rays are the maggots that feast on his carcass. Blissful rays of change. I cried when I saw it, for I knew: the times promised to us in our early days have come, where we forge our own fate.

Change... change with me; stride along with the army, and you, too, do your part and take in hand your chisel and chip away at the marble of the ages, freeing us all.

Indeed, my little friend. One day, you stop burning witches because you kind-of sort-of come to the long overdue realisation that it is really a somewhat silly thing to be doing; next thing you know, the social order comes crashing down all around you. Madness!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Come, come.

The golden fields. Have you seen the golden fields? I have seen the golden fields. The golden fields of happiness. They exist.

Where are they now? The sky is grey. The oak has withered.

Kraszu

Prophet
What in Bible say that piracy is wrong anyway? God surely could predict it. There is allot of killing for crimes like collecting sticks on Sabbath through.

Jasede said:
Come, come.

The golden fields. Have you seen the golden fields? I have seen the golden fields. The golden fields of happiness. They exist.

Where are they now? The sky is grey. The oak has withered.
The golden fields have been physically removed from an inventory. Plenty of golden showers to go around though, you'll be happy to know.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Kraszu said:
What in Bible say that piracy is wrong anyway? God surely could predict it. There is allot of killing for crimes like collecting sticks on Sabbath through.
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:
Kraszu said:

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Jasede said:

The debate is not whether or not stealing is bad. The debate is whether or not copying data is stealing. But you already know that (or you are dumber than I think).

Your justification for piracy being wrong is that developers do not get paid. Correct? Then is it stealing to buy a secondhand copy of a game on eBay? The developer does not get the money. In fact, unlike piracy, someone completely unrelated to the creation of the game gets money. Is that somehow morally better than a download where no one gets paid?

What if someone finishes a game, uninstalls it, and gives a copy to a friend. The developer does not get money. Is that stealing? Is it wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom