Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG do you have greater expectations for?

Which RPG do you have greater expectations for

• Total voters

ortucis

Prophet
Only RPG I have hope for is the one I'm working on.

That and Ghost of a Tale which I just finished downloading.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
But Disco Elysium is an adventure game in the mold of Quest for Glory.
It's got combat.
The Quest for Glory series has combat sequences, yet they are still called adventure games because that is exactly what they are.

Quest for Glory is on Steam BTW. Try it and convince yourself.

That is nonsense reasoning. Combat certainly doesn't make an adventure game an rpg. But QfG games had a lot more than combat. It had chargen, chardev, rpg systems, rpg itemization, traditional rpg content, etc. No one sane considers it just an adventure game. Its an adventure-rpg hybrid. No one sane considers Unavowed to be anything close to an rpg anything either.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
There is a great expectation I am going to pirate Pathfinder in retaliation for them bashing a real rpg like Grimoire with childish, anti-rpg drivel in a review. But like I said, if Pathfinder ends up providing somewhat of an adult level challenge and isn't just pure drivel aimed at retarded children I will buy it. I hate pirates and pirating but the only way I have to fight back against moron game developers spewing anti-rpg child blabber to hurt the sales of a game that is indisputably a crpg while wanting me to buy their rpgish product is to make it hurt their pockets while not hurting my game library. We'll see. We'll see.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This is where I come in and say these cool isometric RPG's sure could use more fireballs and faggy elves and shit. Hey let's Kickstart a fantasy world where people live in ANYTHING except exactly what the fuck people lived in a few hundred years ago on our boring fucking planet.

Just to be clear this is what I see here...

dungeons-dragons-movie-still-cast_385145-400x305.jpeg

No wonder people stopped making these fucking games. You say you want it, then you figure out you don't want it, because it sucks once you actually get it, and try playing the same kill spiders, save this magic faggot, kill this evil lord with magic thing....Go live in the Dark Ages Fantasy fags. Seriously.

Developers out there. I know you are too afraid to post because you will be called Anti Semite or possibly raped, but this is just us now....

STOP MAKING THESE GAMES.

Not totally. Make some generic fantasy with a minor variation on the setting to appease the seething masses of Tolkienfags. Just stop. If you need ideas hit me up with a PM and I won't tell anyone I promise.

Just to be clear since you didn't get it after the 90's. I meant stop making GENERIC FANTASY RPG's. Not RPG's altogether. Thanks.

Oh you want to do High Fantasy and think it is different enough? No.

Take out the swords, the horses, the Elves, the magic, the DARK LORD, and anything resembling THE CHOSEN ONE.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
[...]

Take out the swords, the horses, the Elves, the magic, the DARK LORD, and anything resembling THE CHOSEN ONE.

This always baffle me. When were we the chosen one in any game (besides Skyrim) in the last years? Like the actual chosen one with a heroes journey, a mentor, etc. Without a "twist" or the try to deconstructe anything about it? To be honest, to see this trope played straight woud be refreshing now.

Bocian

Arcane
When were we the chosen one in any game
In PoE we're super special snowflake "Watcher" that can read people's minds, kills gods and shit. If this trope would disappear from the genre forever, nothing of value would be lost.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
[...]

This always baffle me. When were we the chosen one in any game (besides Skyrim) in the last years? Like the actual chosen one with a heroes journey, a mentor, etc. Without a "twist" or the try to deconstructe anything about it? To be honest, to see this trope played straight woud be refreshing now.
D:OS was essentially a demi God chosen one I think.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
In PoE we're super special snowflake "Watcher" that can read people's minds, kills gods and shit. If this trope would disappear from the genre forever, nothing of value would be lost.

Special powers, yes, but nothing you were chosen to do by faith. It was more of an accident, that could've happen anytime. And we didn't do it, because fate said so, but because we would go crazy.

Hmm, we were demigods getting our powers back, but we worked for it. There was no fate of getting us back, but again, pure chance. And the game implies through you exploring, that the Source Hunters do this by choice.

A understand a chosen one like someone, that just can't stray from his path, that HAS to do the thing, even if it kills him. You don't have any say in your path, set by fate and maybe you won't get killed, but your friends and family do. If played straight and brutal, this could be the perfect horror story.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Well as a pathfinder/3e D&D fan I am looking forward to the pathfinder game.

[...]

Yeah, we're still in the midst of GrimDark fantasy. Everyone just wants to be darker and edgier. Or they're all atheists who want to have a big twist that religion is All a Lie. Whoa, mind blown.

D:OS was iteration #472 of "religion is a lie/gods aren't real."

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Either way even if that aspect of the story was unique the rest is shit. The Trolls were funny at least? The best part of that game is the combat mechanics and decent little puzzles here and there.

How about a game like Fallout except GammaWorld? A game like Fallout except Superhero League of Hoboken. A game like Fallout except you hunt monsters down in 1980's New Mexico with a world map like we all know and love and X-Files references and shit. No? MORE FUCKING ELVES AND FIREBALLS AND WIZARDS THEN.

zec7zac.png

A game anywhere remotely close to OG Fallout makes my fucking dick hard. Fantasy just will not suffice. As a matter of fact just thinking about it makes me want to burn this motherfucker down...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
There is one thing i have trouble understanding. Like, we have all these cool ideas:
-Feminine elves
-Giant talking spiders
-Walking skeletons
-People throwing balls of fire
-Dark lords commanding the armies of monsters
How can you combine all this and get something boring in the end?

Ranarama

Learned

I thought that was just so they could insert their shitty kickstarter backer fan stories, to destroy any possibility of immersion in their game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
[...]

One thing I don't get. I understand (and even share) the dislike for overusing of elements like Elves, the Dark Lord, the Chosen One... etc.
But what do people have against HORSES? If anything we could use, for a change, a crpg with an implementation of combat on horses, it's almost never done. Horses often don't even play any role even in travel. All that despite all those generic fantasy settings including mounted troops, chivalry and so on. But nothing in game mechanics to reflect it. If anything we need more horses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom