Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Last pages summarized
image.png

Tigranes

Arcane
I ain't reading all that, but is this dude completely blind or something? Beamdog couldn't even put text in a box straight without having everything slightly off alignment.

If someone had never played BG1 before then found the EE, it's no surprise they enjoyed it & have positive feelings about it. BG1 is a great game and it would be hard to make it a truly awful experience. It's just that the rest of us have no interest in paying double price for a bunch of changes that mostly range between mediocre, dumb, and insignificant.

Citizen

If someone had never played BG1 before then found the EE, it's no surprise they enjoyed it & have positive feelings about it.

:makesyouthink:

Few additional questions for the FanBoy! candidate ItsChon:
  1. Did you play original BG?
  2. If yes, did you play it before or after beamdog's?
My 20 minutes of playing was enough to see:
  1. The ugly amateurish UI.
  2. Broken new classes (prestige class thief from NWN, who can HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT from lvl1, LMAO!)
  3. That the game works on a BG2 engine (Maybe that's not bad for everyone, since people play things like BGT)
  4. Non-optional object high-lighting, which makes half of the neat secret loot containers meaningless.
  5. New retarded companions. Some nigger half-orc with a marysue story about how badass he is, lol.
  6. Every time you launch the game it reminds you that these retarded NPCs exist by showing you their portraits.
  7. Despite having zoom out feature (which is incline), game features the same backgrounds as in original but stretched and blurred, which make it look like blurred cancer.
There's probably more, but I'm not going to investigate further. So, one good feature (zoom out is good), one questionable (bg2 character stats) and lots of bad ones.

So, why should anyone buy and/or enjoy inferior version of the game? Ah, I forgot that the original was removed from all the digital stores, what a strange coincidence.

Cael

Arcane
If someone had never played BG1 before then found the EE, it's no surprise they enjoyed it & have positive feelings about it.

:makesyouthink:

Few additional questions for the FanBoy! candidate ItsChon:
  1. Did you play original BG?
  2. If yes, did you play it before or after beamdog's?
My 20 minutes of playing was enough to see:
  1. The ugly amateurish UI.
  2. Broken new classes (prestige class thief from NWN, who can HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT from lvl1, LMAO!)
  3. That the game works on a BG2 engine (Maybe that's not bad for everyone, since people play things like BGT)
  4. Non-optional object high-lighting, which makes half of the neat secret loot containers meaningless.
  5. New retarded companions. Some nigger half-orc with a marysue story about how badass he is, lol.
  6. Every time you launch the game it reminds you that these retarded NPCs exist by showing you their portraits.
  7. Despite having zoom out feature (which is incline), game features the same backgrounds as in original but stretched and blurred, which make it look like blurred cancer.
There's probably more, but I'm not going to investigate further. So, one good feature (zoom out is good), one questionable (bg2 character stats) and lots of bad ones.

So, why should anyone buy and/or enjoy inferior version of the game? Ah, I forgot that the original was removed from all the digital stores, what a strange coincidence.
2. Shadowdancer actually came out first in the 3.x DMG. It was added to NWN and the rest was history.

5. Worse. They added the whole idea of half-orcs with the +1 Str bonus. In case people forgot, +1 Str when you have 18 Str completely bypasses all the 18/xx levels, which means you end up with a massive melee powerhouse regardless if you played Fighter, Thief or Cleric. It also meant you are stronger than Ogres (18/00 Str). +1 Str in the 2nd Ed system is broken as hell. Trust cuckdog to add something like that and, of course, their added NPCs include a half-orc with max strength. This is completely inline with their black lesbian ninja vampire Mary Sue in BG2.

Cuckdog is basically made up of munchkin powergamers, and while I do not mind powergaming, it is not for everyone. To be fair, I have no problems with any of the added NPCs other than the ninja vampire. I had them in the party for their quests and then kicked them out. The only one I kept was Neera and that was simply because there is only one other mage for a Good party and no good clerics to help with the magic deficiency.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Pure false advertising, Shadowdancer looks even broken on paper, but when you get to playing it, it's all fluff.

That's what you get when you mix D&D editions with no care whatsoever.

My advice, if you wanna know true power, pick up a solo Sorcerer and let the heads roll.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
  1. Broken new classes (prestige class thief from NWN, who can HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT from lvl1, LMAO!)

The new classes are garbage power-wise.

Shaman sucks both power-level wise and from a ~*FEELS*~ perspective. Monk is really bad on lower levels and the new kits don't fix it.

Meanwhile we have the old BG2 kits, some of which are amazingly OP, to pick from. So yeah, the criticism of the new kits and classes should be that they are pooly designed, because they certainly aren't overpowered.

Parabalus

Arcane
  1. Broken new classes (prestige class thief from NWN, who can HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT from lvl1, LMAO!)

The new classes are garbage power-wise.

Shaman sucks both power-level wise and from a ~*FEELS*~ perspective. Monk is really bad on lower levels and the new kits don't fix it.

Meanwhile we have the old BG2 kits, some of which are amazingly OP, to pick from. So yeah, the criticism of the new kits and classes should be that they are pooly designed, because they certainly aren't overpowered.

Shaman I found pretty okay, if you ignore their class feature, that dance garbage. Might be because the goblin NPC isn't that bad on its own, and not the class. The fireball they get is nice, they're basically druid sorcs anyway.

Very weak class though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
they're basically cleric sorcs anyway.

lolno

Clerics are way better. Not only do they have a better spell list (sans Iron Skin, obviously, which almost makes up for the difference on its lonesome), they also have better proficiencies, access to plate and way better kits.

They are druid sorcerers - and compared to druids their Sorcerer-casting is obviously better, but it's actually not that different since they don't get bonus spells from Wisdom (in fact, Druids with very high wisdom can get equal or better casting compared to shammys because of this fact). Instead of the useless dance Druid gets poison immunity and damage resistances, plus insane XP progression before level 12.

They're probably comparable, but when you factor in that Druid can Dual and Multiclass, it's not even a question anymore. That fact pushes druid ahead of the curve.

So yeah, not impressed by the Shaman at all, even the level 2 AoE zone spell and level 3 fireball spell were really fun to use in BG1.

Cael

Arcane
The shaman is basically the spirit shaman from a DnD 3.5 splatbook, and they are unambiguously the sorcerer version of druids. It is another badly translated and implimented 3.x class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
they're basically cleric sorcs anyway.

snip

I meant that from a
~*FEELS*~
perspective, shaman is prob the weakest of the EE additions, which isn't a high bar in the first place.

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood you then.

From a feels perspective I just dislike many of the restriction. The Dance feels bad to use, proficiencies are unecessarily limited and contrary to Sorcerer there seems to be little reason for the lack of dual classing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also many of their signature spells are so boring and downright useless - they ~*FEEL*~ bad. The fireball is great, yeah, but mostly it's just a copy of another spell, which is why it feels so great.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also many of their signature spells are so boring and downright useless - they ~*FEEL*~ bad. The fireball is great, yeah, but mostly it's just a copy of another spell, which is why it feels so great.

Same as the entire EE tbh - decent idea, horrible execution.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I liked Shaman, it is a better version of Druid solo class. Druids have terrible spell lists in bg games. I always wanted to see druid spells from iwd in bg games.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Druids are pretty lame, yeah. Shapeshifter class is a nice idea, but also kind of broken and lame.

Shamans are boring because Druid spells are boring. Though druids do get entangle at level 1, which is a pretty big deal in bg1 before you get web.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ItsChon is Codex's Don Quixote charging at long standing Windmills of the 'Dex

Looks like some long standing Codexians drove off the newbie who just got into traditional RPG, and wanted all of his friends to join in as well.
And I was just formulating a polite response to ItsChon detailing why people that have been playing these games for over 20 years appreciate the history, and the height of the bellcurve the IE games were at before Beamshit took them on the decline...

ArchAngel

Arcane

Looks like some long standing Codexians drove off the newbie who just got into traditional RPG, and wanted all of his friends to join in as well.
And I was just formulating a polite response to ItsChon detailing why people that have been playing these games for over 20 years appreciate the history, and the height of the bellcurve the IE games were at before Beamshit took them on the decline...
What, and bring more kids to pester us while we are screaming at clouds?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What, and bring more kids to pester us while we are screaming at clouds?

It was gonna be my good deed of the day - a mechanic cost me a fortune because he damaged my vehicle, so I wrote a review providing evidence that has probably destroyed his reputation in turn - so I thought that if I did this, God might forgive me for not turning the other cheek, and I might redeem some soul/karma points?...maybe...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If it makes you feel better, he's probably still here. He just gave up because he's been repeating himself for the last several posts.

1) Beamtrash brought "a lot" of new people supposedly and that's a good thing because...........

2) It's easier than downloading a bunch of scary RAR files for free.

3) Bugs, what bugs? Cocks, dicks, faggots etc. Pls stop complaining about this thing I wasted my money on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom