Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Dead is Dead" CRPGS

Delterius

Arcane
I suppose you are playing EE, because of the berserker kit. Ironmaning in EE is easier than in the original not only because overpowered kits, but also to engine changes that make it easier (free access to inventory in combat, enemies following you outside their areas etc). I played once the EE with SCS and the final fight was a breeze, probably because of a glitch, Sarevok charged but the others did not aggro, so alone he fell quickly.
Actually its likely not the EE. Enemies don't follow you between areas in the EE and Sarevok sometimes comes alone even in BG1. BGT also allows for kits.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Enemies don't follow you between areas in the EE

They do, since it's based on BG2 engine. Of course they don't follow between world map areas, but they come after you from caves or houses. An easy tactic in EE is to lure some tough enemies such as Karoug from his area with a single character and wait for him below with the rest of your party in a well prepared position.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I'm playing SoD right now. That doesn't happen anymore and my pincushioned wizard's robe can attest to that.

I don't know about SoD but in BG1&2 there are two kinds of area transitions. One way to tell the difference between them is that some auto-save the game and others don't. The world map area transitions auto-save the game, but not only those. Entering the basement where Aec Letec is summoned or entering the temple of bhaal is treated the same as traveling the world map. The later type of area transitions are the usual entering houses, small caves or the shipwreck of Balduran. Enemies follows you only on changing this type of areas. Maybe in SoD they made all areas of the kind that doesn't allow enemies to follow you.

B0rt

Novice
Early fight with the spider queen. It's a tough fight early on because she has level three spells (i.e. fireball) and a bunch of spider goons with her and you don't have any level three spells and basically suck. I beat her in both runs by hunkering in a corner and trying to prevent the spiders from swarming me. Web is pretty cheesy at that point in the game and both runs everyone got killed except a final mage who hid behind a brazier vs. a final spider (...)

Ironman runs are great because sometimes the failed attempts aren't even TPK, but leave these fun save files on your PC... you load one up and you see some damaged looking wizard out in front of an inn, he's got some money, maybe some of his dead buddies' stuff, just this one remaining PC standing there kind of doing a thousand-yard-stare. You're almost afraid to select the guy, like he'll probably flinch

Zanzoken

Arcane
Age of Decadence is a good one since it's relatively short and has lots of pitfalls designed to punish stupid behavior.

If you want to really be a hard ass then Mount & Blade is an option. Falling in combat = death. Not sure how fun it would be, since you would pretty much be forced to avoid fighting until you got high level armor/horse, and even then it's very easy to die if you are constantly throwing yourself into the fray.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind could make for an interesting Iron Man run if you use BTB's Game Improvements. I know, sort of against the point to use mods, but it really disables a lot of cheats/exploits in the vanilla game, the most noteable of which is the Intelligence potion abuse.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Why do I get the feeling you're not talking about Terror From the Deep?
11wjim.jpg

Terror from the deep, i hated that game as much as i loved the first one, i don't beliveve it's possible to ironman this one on veteran and above, those damned crabs arrive too early, or maybe you just ignore the missions where you know they'll show up with some practice ?
I never got a lot of practice, without the proper weapons, those crabs are likely to make a carnage, really a huge change from the first game, even the crysalids from the first were far easier to manage.

Not only those crabs have an insane armor but they hide in boats compartments.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Terror from the deep, i hated that game as much as i loved the first one, i don't beliveve it's possible to ironman this one on veteran and above, those damned crabs arrive too early, or maybe you just ignore the missions where you know they'll show up with some practice ?
I never got a lot of practice, without the proper weapons, those crabs are likely to make a carnage, really a huge change from the first game, even the crysalids from the first were far easier to manage.

You just need to use the proper tactic and lobstermen terror missions on ships will be much more bearable.

Why do I get the feeling you're not talking about Terror From the Deep?
11wjim.jpg

TFTD can be easier than XCOM if good tactics are used. Crabs get destroyed in melee, with stun launchers, or with stacked grenades. Heavy Sonic still owns everything.

You also don't have to win every mission. Good strategic gameplay can keep your score afloat and avoiding losing the game even with the majority of missions skipped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom