Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1, in the year of our Lord 2018

Starwars

Arcane
It's been a really long time since I replayed Fallout, and I really got the urge to do it now.

So what's the scoop on mods and stuff? Is there anything good that adds stuff? Or should I just go for bugfixes, and in that case which is the best option?

Using the gog version.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's been a really long time since I replayed Fallout, and I really got the urge to do it now.

So what's the scoop on mods and stuff? Is there anything good that adds stuff? Or should I just go for bugfixes, and in that case which is the best option?

Using the gog version.
Signature. Avoid Fixt at this point, at least until you replay it.

Starwars

Arcane
I've played it a million times, just that it's been a couple of years now. I'm well aware of the game and what is nostalgia and what is not. Just not up to date on the mod/patch situation.

Is Fixt something that tries to add shit to the game or... ?

Lurker47

Savant
I always did feel a bit let down by Fallout in terms of the amount of its content. Then again I feel this way with just about every RPG so I guess I'm just too :obviously: to enjoy anything.

I don't trust any mod to add more content though. No matter who it is, they can never make it feel completely like Fallout imo.

SniperHF

Arcane
I did a replay last year with Fallout Fixt and it was great.
You can pick what changes it makes for the most part.

No complaints at all.

I think the last time played it before that was 2013 and I didn't use any fan patches. Fallout 1 is relatively solid as is IMO.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My best playthrough was without any fan patches. No crashes or anything. Beware of fan patches. Original Fallouts have some of the shittiest modders ever.

They get praise because people cuck themselves to try and earn edge points from the sperglord drones on cRPG sites. Funny that the Bethesda titles have superior modders.

By the way, Fallout: 2 is ultimately the superior title.

bloodlover

Arcane
Didn't even know F1 had mods. I played it a few years ago unmodded (and I am guessing unpatched since I used my physical copies for installation) and everything was fine. Yeah it hasn't aged well but I highly doubt most people here give a damn.

Parabalus

Arcane

Using the gog version.

Why not use Fixt?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought FIXT comes with Modder Changes (TM) even in the "only fixes" version? You know, when modders think they know better than the developers and "fix" stuff that shouldn't be fixed.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I liked my FIXT playthrough a lot but that has been like 4 years ago, not sure what changed in it since then. I would still use it though.

Vorark

Erudite
I played FO1 around 2013 and had a bizarre bug with FIXT, couldn't enter Mariposa because it wasn't possible to activate the door or something. Granted, it was 5 years ago and the problem might've been fixed...

Tiospo

Learned
I replay Fallout 2 on and off every few years as one of my all time favorite games. And recently replayed Fallout 1 too.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Using the gog version.

I replayed it to the end a couple of weeks ago.

I really enjoyed it.
Everything can be found on the No Mutants allowed forums / mods section

http://nma-fallout.com/resources/categories/fallout-1.2/

I think i used the hi-res patch + the 1.3.5 unofficial patch + fixit (which offers some nice improvements, like full followers control after you edit the config ini and set the right variable to 2 )

Last edited:
I think what Fallout 1/2 would really benefit from would be a combat overhaul/enhancement mod similar to 1.13 for Jagged Alliance 2, which would just add a lot more combat skills, weapons, tactics, etc. The default combat system is kinda entertaining with the gore and all, but not exactly deep.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I think what Fallout 1/2 would really benefit from would be a combat overhaul/enhancement mod similar to 1.13 for Jagged Alliance 2, which would just add a lot more combat skills, weapons, tactics, etc. The default combat system is kinda entertaining with the gore and all, but not exactly deep.

Well, you're right but i don't see Fallout1/2 mods taking that direction and it seems the Fallout modding community is slowly dying.

We'll have to wait for an indie game dev to step up with a similar setup and an improved gameplay/battle system.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Using the gog version.

Why not use Fixt?
FeelTheRads Paul_cz Feyd Rautha

Fixt is definitely still in beta, I’m not surprised to hear about the Mariposa bug. There’s also some questionable changes made in the base fixes only version, such as starting the player with a flamer, laser pistol, or lockpick if they tag the requisite skills. The guy who made fixt even acknowledges this, but fixt updates have been MIA for several years.

That plus the likely prevalence of other game changing alterations in the same vein as starting with advanced weapons, makes me recommend against it.

The best FO1 experience, especially if you haven’t played in a while, is TeamX’s 1.3.5. Use the NPC mod if you want, but the game will be easier. Add crafy’s sfall for shift for highlight, and Mash’s patch to play in fullscreen 960x540, which is how it should be played on modern 16:9 screens.

All this is in my signature links. Avoid the RP/Wasteland Ghost stuff unless you want a much more punishing and slightly buggier version. I wouldn’t recommend it based on the OP’s post.

EDIT:

Fallout 1 + v1.2.1 RC + TeamX v1.3.5 + (optional) v1.3.5 NPC mod + sfall + hi rez mod.

You can install 1.2.1 on top of all releases afaik, except perhaps the steam one. I don’t remember, check the forums.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Using the gog version.

There's a new mod/game/whatever you wanna call it for fallout 2 called Falout Nevada, pretty sweet but not that far into it.

Fallout 1.5 is very good aswell, came out a few years ago.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 1.5 Resurrection is a FO2 mod total conversion, fyi. It’s good, check out the codex thread for it for more info.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah Fallout 1.5 is a new game taking place between first two games and pretty damn good.

Starwars

Arcane
...aaaand finished it. Short and sweet as always.

I'm always surprised by how well the game holds up to be honest. The only real annoyance I have with the game is that inventory management can become a mouthful at times, especially later on. But it's a fantastic game still, with some very cool ideas.

Mutant army invading areas is such neat thing, hehe.

Starwars

Arcane
Playing a bit into Fallout 2 and one has to ask the question...

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to design all these random encounters with 16 wolves each slowly taking their turn and playing a "woof-rah!" soundbyte on every attack?

I like Fallout 2 but my god, it's way more painful to play than the first game because of stupid shit like this. There's so much shitty content between all the good stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom