Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They didn't specify anything about it yet. My guess is that they will change the way monsters spawn, they will have preferable "biomes" and maybe "lairs". But nothing official yet

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Does anyone know if our old BB saves will work with the new DLC or not? I got the impression they were expanding the size of the map too so it's got me wondering.
I believe that rapsdjff mentioned somewhere in the Steam forums that yes , the old saves are compatible BUT you will miss a lot of the new features - especially the new map generation.

So basically your old saves are not completely lost for ever but they will "underperform"

Cheers, guess I'll do a quick suicide run and go out with a bang.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oooh: http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-101-new-weapons/

sser Maybe call it a Two-Handed Mallet rather than "Two-Handed Wooden Hammer"?

DEV BLOG #101: NEW WEAPONS

We take a break from looking at things that make your life harder, to take a look at things that make your life easier this week. The upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC will add a bouquet of new weapons. Some of them will fill gaps in the progression of existing weapon types, while others are hybrid and niche weapons to create new builds and tactics with. And all of them will add more variety to human opponents, like brigands. Just keep in mind that details may still change depending on how playtesting goes. Let’s take a look!

FILLING THE GAPS
First off, several of the new weapons are designed to fill gaps in the tiered progression of individual weapon types. The Longsword is a lower tier version of the Greatsword, but no less versatile. It allows us to more gradually introduce two-handed swords with enemies, and it allows you to use a less costly alternative earlier in the game. Similarly, the Two-Handed Wooden Hammer is a lower tier version of the existing Two-Handed Hammer. And while previously the Orc Berserker Chain was the only two-handed Flail in the game, there’s now two tiers of human two-handed Flails as well.

TWO-HANDED MACES
Maces now come in massive two-handed variants. They excel in single-target damage and crowd control, and like their one-handed cousins, they apply a lot of additional fatigue damage. Receiving a blow from a weapon like this will leave anyone dazed and gasping for air, and this is reflected in the ‘Cudgel’ skill applying the new ‘Dazed’ effect. A dazed character will have their maximum fatigue, initiative and damage output reduced. The other skill of two-handed maces is called ‘Strike Down’ and will stun a target for a whole 2 turns, instead of just 1 turn with one-handed maces. This also plays into a new perk which we’ll explain in another dev blog.

THE POLEHAMMER
The new Polehammer is the polearm variant of the Warhammer, a weapon designed to neutralize heavily armored targets. With two tiles of range, a Polehammer can be used from behind the frontline, and outside the range of most other melee weapons, to batter, deform and rip enemy armor. Against unarmored or lightly armored targets, however, other polearms perform better.

THE SPETUM
Even more defense-oriented than a pike, the two-handed Spetum is used like a cross between pike and spear in the game. It is a specialized polearm that is less damaging than the pike, but can be used to form a more deadly yet more fatiguing ‘Spearwall’ than with a one-handed spear. Particularly useful against beasts.

THE THROWING SPEAR
Throwing weapons also get some love with the new Throwing Spear. Larger than a Javelin, it’s a consumable item similar to the Throwing Net and designed to take out shields from afar.

weapons_08-279x300.jpg

THE GOEDENDAG
A curious hybrid between club and spear, the Goedendag is a two-handed weapon that enjoys popularity with militia and similar non-professional outfits. It comes with the ‘Thrust’ skill of the spear, making it easy to hit with, as well as the ‘Knock Out’ skill of Maces, enabling the user to incapacitate their opponents.

THE THREE-HEADED FLAIL
The Three-Headed Flail, also called Ochsenherde, is a less common weapon. It works the same as any other one-handed flail in the game, except for one detail: Every attack is split into three separate ones, one for each of the striking heads, and each head can hit or miss, and hit body or head, separately. That’s a good thing if you’re looking for consistent damage and a high chance to hit the enemy at all, for example to apply the Poisoned effect or because you’re fighting a fragile enemy with high defenses. On the other hand, this weapon will split damage between head and body armor even more so than other weapons, making it ill-suited if you’re looking to brute-force your way through enemy armor.

THE FENCING SWORD
Another uncommon weapon is the Fencing Sword; a light and elegant blade that favors a swift and mobile fighting style. It comes with a skill unique only to this weapon: ‘Lunge’. Using the ‘Lunge’ skill, the user will dash towards a target two tiles away, followed immediately by a precise thrusting attack to catch the target unprepared. Lunge gets a damage bonus scaling with the user’s initiative; the quicker the user, and the less armor weighing them down, the more damage they do. With a fencing sword, a combatant gains a lot of mobility, dancing between enemies to make precise strikes if any opening should present itself.

There’s even more new weapons coming, both legendary ones to be found by exploring the wilds, and craftable ones, but we don’t want to spoil these – you’ll just have to find them for yourself!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Cool ones. They are really beefing up the tactical aspect. I'm still hoping they add more distinct battle maps, with attack on camps showing tents and campfires, tombs on graveyards, old ruins, and hopefully, this:

mockup_dungeon4.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder if playing in a dungeon would actually be interesting. There are some repositioning skills etc. to spice things up, but a chokepoint focused gameplay could become boring.

Modron

Arcane
Cool ones. They are really beefing up the tactical aspect. I'm still hoping they add more distinct battle maps, with attack on camps showing tents and campfires, tombs on graveyards, old ruins, and hopefully, this:
mockup_dungeon4.jpg
Who cares about stupid dungeons. Bring back cabbage fields!
mockup_village4.jpg
Yeah those were early concepts they scrapped after making building structures because they said moving brothers across maps with bottlenecks was pain in the ass because of the style of initiative the game uses.

Emily

Arcane
What I really find disappointing is that they are not focusing on new type of combat that was so much needed. The inclusion of witches would be a perfect opportunity to have one with your party that would have different unique perk tree.
And how about having your captain as a playable char with his or her unique perk tree.
How about redefining your company from a middle game to be more focused on unnatural like magic,rituals and such,or maybe even going evil with dabbling in necromancy,or focusing on higher tech stuff such as guns or maybe even a cannon.

There is just so much wasted potential here. This game is just boring when u played it once,most broes are very similar and perks just dont separate characters enough so you end up with mostly samish chars,especially late game when u optimise it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder if playing in a dungeon would actually be interesting. There are some repositioning skills etc. to spice things up, but a chokepoint focused gameplay could become boring.
Maybe, but as it is, fighting on hills and in ravines is more fun than fighting on plain even ground. More unique maps would bring more variety to the gameplay. Of course, they would have to be careful not to make the hallways too wide or too narrow.

Emily

Arcane
I think one of their design decision was that, while the world has magic, your company does not.
What about the magic preventing u from ever having more than 12 fighters in any battle even while having 100 000 gold in a bank :lol:.

The game works fine until middle game,then simply falls apart imo. The whole narrative falls apart and tbh the difficulty as well becomes rapidly easier and easier.

Salvo

Arcane
I think one of their design decision was that, while the world has magic, your company does not.
What about the magic preventing u from ever having more than 12 fighters in any battle even while having 100 000 gold in a bank :lol:.

The game works fine until middle game,then simply falls apart imo. The whole narrative falls apart and tbh the difficulty as well becomes rapidly easier and easier.

Easier? Go tackle the Black Obelisk/Goblin City, or a high-tier orc stronghold.

Emily

Arcane

Easier? Go tackle the Black Obelisk/Goblin City, or a high-tier orc stronghold.
Why would I? I am not suicidal and the reward isnt worth the risk. I am running a mercenary company not a suicidal heroes one.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah those were early concepts they scrapped after making building structures because they said moving brothers across maps with bottlenecks was pain in the ass because of the style of initiative the game uses.

Sure, but we ended up with the forest battlegrounds that's a bottleneck maze. I think it was more a randomization issue. Basically, they went with an algorithm that places individual pieces, while a dungeon would rely more on "blocks" of areas, instead of randomly placed walls.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

That 'Magic' could simply be the Great Houses not allowing mercenary companies to become bigger because they'd otherwise may endanger the power structure of the world. If your company grows too big, they forget their spats, join forces and crush you.

(Nevermind that more Bros would mean more enemies in return to keep balance and some fights can already drag on a bit.)

Emily

Arcane

That 'Magic' could simply be the Great Houses not allowing mercanary companies to become bigger because they'd otherwise may endanger the power structure of the world. If your company grows too big, they forget their spats, join forces and crush you.

(Nevermind that more Bros would mean more enemies in return to keep balance and some fights can already drag on a bit.)
The problem is that late game u have nothing to spend the money on other than playing the lottery with your recruits.
How about this:
My hardcore(ironman) late game party has 100ish k in the bank. How about u allow me to recruit say 30 ppl for 20 000 and to use such a combined venture to attack a goblin city or an orc one(hoping to find a fabled artifact). Sounds fair and realistic no? It is what many nobles/bastard sons did in real life,obviously with different goals in mind.

But in my game even with all that gold I am still narrative wise a bunch of hobos decked out in best gear with money to rival any noble house.

That is simply a narrative brakedown where games fails to recognize your ingame achievement and status. And this starts being a problem from early midgame.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I really like this update. Maybe i'll play as horde of flagellants. I'm planning to use mod for 18 characters in battle. Recruit only commoners, no chest armors and 1-2 handed flails for everyone. Pumping morale and hp every level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom