Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

lightbane

Arcane
What's next? FCK NAZI !?

PNCH NAZI, obviously.

Or perhaps not, seeing that none of the Nu-Wolfenstein games are in GOG IIRC.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are talking about DRM, not censorship.

Well, they're closely related IMO.
What the hell?

One example: The uncut versions of Sleeping Dogs and Kane & Lynch 2 are on the German government's naughty list of media "harmful to minors". They're not banned, mind you! They're simply restricted to being sold under-the-counter, they can't be advertised and you have to be 18 to obtain them. The German versions sold on Steam are edited for violence. In the good ole days of physical media, that wouldn't pose that much of a problem: Just order the original version from your overseas vendor of choice. Now, in the age of Steam, you can only buy the censored German versions of these games from a German IP. Not just that: If you have somehow obtained the original version then you won't be able to play it from a German IP, you're locked out of your game.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...while-gog-gets-caught-deleting-reviews/67113/

According to reports on Kotaku in Action, it’s been verified that GOG.com is continuing their path down Leftist convergence by deleting reviews.

In a forum thread over on the GOG.com forums, one of the staff confirmed that they have been deleting reviews from “users who didn’t play the game”.

One of the members of the GOG.com team, going by the handle of Linko90, posted a message to clear up the confusion, writing…

“So just to give an overview of the review situation:

“1) A number of reviews were posted that exclusively consisted of political rants with no mention of the game’s quality or lack of. This is not a review
“2) Fake reviews that were both pro and anti-Brexit were posted, they were both deleted equally.
“3) The only two review left are reviews that talk about the game and what the game consists of. These are fine, as they’re actually reviews.
“4) All of the fake reviews were posted by users who did not own the game.

“We understand the game is political by nature. Whether you are pro or anti is irrelevant, the key factor is leaving an actual review of the game.
“I hope this clears things up.”

Many users pointed out that a lot of the reviews being deleted were pro-Brexit in tone, and this is rather significant because the game is very clearly anti-Brexit.

GOG.com defended their decision to delete the reviews, however, claiming that they offered nothing of value in explaining the game.
Forum users rightfully pointed out that reviews criticizing the game for its political nature has everything to do with the game since the entire premise is inherently political.

InvisibleJim writes…

“False because they describe the politically loaded qualities of the game; particularly of a politically loaded game.
“But we all know what GOG.com’s SJW employees are doing here: trying to drum up sales for a shitty indie developer that shares their toxic ideals; likely at a push from the ridiculous anti-gamer journalists they love like VG24/7 – see the Postal incident for another example of how cancerous GOG.com has become.

“The lesson is simple: do not buy games on GOG.com. Get woke? Go broke.”

After Linko90 and other GOG.com staff were called out for supporting the SJW agenda, Linko90 reiterated that the only reviews that were deleted were the ones that didn’t discuss the mechanics, the story, or showcase the ability to “convey the desired experience.
Linko90 rounded out the comment by taking a swipe at anti-SJWs, writing

“[…] At this point, I feel official insight into the process is lost on people wishing to echo their favourite Youtuber motto. “

This is actually a common sense marketing motto.
You want to get woke? Well, prepare to get broke.

There is a growing list of indie, AA, and AAA games that have all gone broke trying to appease the phantom audience constantly propped up as some major marketing force by SJWs in games media.

Regardless, gamers know that SJWs don’t buy games and that the only way normies can be tricked into buying SJW games is if companies work with the corrupt journalists to promote unworthy games to the front pages of major outlets, like Gone Home.

But the writing is clearly on the wall for CD Projekt Red and its subsidiary, GOG.com. The writing is clearly on the wall that they have succumbed to the kind of Liberal orthodoxy that has ruined so many other companies, as evident with the fact that they’ve apologized to SJWs three times after making non-offensive tweets. They also groveled for forgiveness from ResetEra, the most hostile video game forum on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
They are talking about DRM, not censorship.

Well, they're closely related IMO.
What the hell?

One example: The uncut versions of Sleeping Dogs and Kane & Lynch 2 are on the German government's naughty list of media "harmful to minors". They're not banned, mind you! They're simply restricted to being sold under-the-counter, they can't be advertised and you have to be 18 to obtain them. The German versions sold on Steam are edited for violence. In the good ole days of physical media, that wouldn't pose that much of a problem: Just order the original version from your overseas vendor of choice. Now, in the age of Steam, you can only buy the censored German versions of these games from a German IP. Not just that: If you have somehow obtained the original version then you won't be able to play it from a German IP, you're locked out of your game.
Honestly that's your fault for living in Germany.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm surprised that GOG pretends they're against censorship, while the SJW cancer runs deep inside them. Remember that shitstorm with the new Postal 2 expansion, for example (speaking of, I'm surprised they haven't retired the two games yet for not being PC enough). Or how they didn't take Hatred due "muh controversy!", even though both Postal games had been in GOG for years without issues.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...while-gog-gets-caught-deleting-reviews/67113/

According to reports on Kotaku in Action, it’s been verified that GOG.com is continuing their path down Leftist convergence by deleting reviews.

In a forum thread over on the GOG.com forums, one of the staff confirmed that they have been deleting reviews from “users who didn’t play the game”.

One of the members of the GOG.com team, going by the handle of Linko90, posted a message to clear up the confusion, writing…

“So just to give an overview of the review situation:

“1) A number of reviews were posted that exclusively consisted of political rants with no mention of the game’s quality or lack of. This is not a review
“2) Fake reviews that were both pro and anti-Brexit were posted, they were both deleted equally.
“3) The only two review left are reviews that talk about the game and what the game consists of. These are fine, as they’re actually reviews.
“4) All of the fake reviews were posted by users who did not own the game.

“We understand the game is political by nature. Whether you are pro or anti is irrelevant, the key factor is leaving an actual review of the game.
“I hope this clears things up.”

Many users pointed out that a lot of the reviews being deleted were pro-Brexit in tone, and this is rather significant because the game is very clearly anti-Brexit.

GOG.com defended their decision to delete the reviews, however, claiming that they offered nothing of value in explaining the game.
Forum users rightfully pointed out that reviews criticizing the game for its political nature has everything to do with the game since the entire premise is inherently political.

InvisibleJim writes…

“False because they describe the politically loaded qualities of the game; particularly of a politically loaded game.
“But we all know what GOG.com’s SJW employees are doing here: trying to drum up sales for a shitty indie developer that shares their toxic ideals; likely at a push from the ridiculous anti-gamer journalists they love like VG24/7 – see the Postal incident for another example of how cancerous GOG.com has become.

“The lesson is simple: do not buy games on GOG.com. Get woke? Go broke.”

After Linko90 and other GOG.com staff were called out for supporting the SJW agenda, Linko90 reiterated that the only reviews that were deleted were the ones that didn’t discuss the mechanics, the story, or showcase the ability to “convey the desired experience.
Linko90 rounded out the comment by taking a swipe at anti-SJWs, writing

“[…] At this point, I feel official insight into the process is lost on people wishing to echo their favourite Youtuber motto. “

This is actually a common sense marketing motto.
You want to get woke? Well, prepare to get broke.

There is a growing list of indie, AA, and AAA games that have all gone broke trying to appease the phantom audience constantly propped up as some major marketing force by SJWs in games media.

Regardless, gamers know that SJWs don’t buy games and that the only way normies can be tricked into buying SJW games is if companies work with the corrupt journalists to promote unworthy games to the front pages of major outlets, like Gone Home.

But the writing is clearly on the wall for CD Projekt Red and its subsidiary, GOG.com. The writing is clearly on the wall that they have succumbed to the kind of Liberal orthodoxy that has ruined so many other companies, as evident with the fact that they’ve apologized to SJWs three times after making non-offensive tweets. They also groveled for forgiveness from ResetEra, the most hostile video game forum on the internet.
It's nothing new, e.g. they've deleted my gogmix list because Beamdog demanded it. Maybe they're not into DRM but they certainly are into censorship.
lol
GOG has deleted my "Beamdog is the parasite of the industry" wishlist, those cucks couldn't refuse Beamdog. It was the second or third most popular wishlist for Beamdog titles.

JudasIscariot

Edit:

It had around 500 votes last time I checked.
6cVklhR.png

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why do they even allow reviews by people who didn't play the game? I kind of get that for classic games (many played them long time ago), but now there are new games and the system can be easily exploited with non-review-comments like in this case.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do they even allow reviews by people who didn't play the game? I kind of get that for classic games (many played them long time ago)
Even that was a mistake, in my opinion. Some very niche titles will get reviews that otherwise wouldn't get any, sure, but that's at the cost of pages and pages of "I played this when I was five, thirty years ago. I don't remember anything about it, but it was awesome!" 5-star reviews for any remotely popular game.

Cerulean

Cipher
It would be nice if they at least had some kind of marker by the user's name to indicate whether they had bought the game or not, and possibly give more weight to the reviews of people who had actually bought the game. While I'm at it, I'd like to wish for a pony.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Why do they even allow reviews by people who didn't play the game? I kind of get that for classic games (many played them long time ago), but now there are new games and the system can be easily exploited with non-review-comments like in this case.

This has been a problem that was brought up by community members since over half a decade ago.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

This has been a problem that was brought up by community members since over half a decade ago.
Correct me if I am wrong, but before GOG Galaxy they did not even have a way to track who played the game who did not (only who bought and who downloaded it), did they? Even now, not everyone uses Galaxy (because, well, DRM-free means you do not have to) and if GOG tried to force using Galaxy as a requirement to writing reviews on the site, torches and pitchforks would appear (and Codex would be one of the first to raise them).

Squid

Arbiter
pages and pages of "I played this when I was five, thirty years ago. I don't remember anything about it, but it was awesome!" 5-star reviews for any remotely popular game.

The very reason I've not read or written a review on GOG for about 7 years.
Most of the time I see tons of games with 4.5 or 5 stars and it seems to be nostalgia pushing these scores. I hardly see things rated poorly overall on GOG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Alas, in most sites a 4/5, 5/6 or 8/10 means average.
The most laughable site I ever visited was TES Nexus, where you got banned if you even used the lower half of the scale for rating mods.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom