Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Objects in Space

Objects in Space is an open world 2D stealth-action space trading game set in Apollo – a huge cluster of star systems dozens of lightyears away from Earth. You are a ship’s captain, buying and selling wares in order to keep your bucket o' bolts afloat and stay one step ahead of pirates, organised criminals, corrupt governments and shady laws.

A galaxy of characters await you in Objects in Space. The game focuses on a myriad of short stories rather than one main storyline with a hero’s journey, so it’s up to you how much or how little narrative you want in your game.

Combat in Objects sees ships treated more like Cold War submarines than WWII dogfighters. You’ll be running silent, planning manoeuvres far ahead of time and engaging in deadly games of cat-and-mouse with nebulous enemies, but only for those players who seek it out. Combat-averse players can pay attention to the news and avoid pirate-heavy systems and choose not to explore the deadly uncharted areas of space where greater numbers of pirates lurk.

It’ll be up to you to keep your ship’s systems running as quietly as possible, going fully ‘dark’ if you have to, just floating with your current trajectory and speed hoping to avoid showing up on anyone else’s scanners as you traverse some of the most dangerous shipping lanes in space.

To make your money, there are over fifty employers and your reputation with each one will dictate how many passenger, cargo or bounty-hunting contracts are available to you. But be warned - failure to complete a contract might see your rep plummet with that employer. So when you get an SOS signal from a nearby ship but have a deadline to keep, what will you do?

Your ship is completely customisable down to the tiniest component of each module. If your battery dies, it’s your own fault. You decided to go with a cheap Ventarii battery in the first place, and it was out of your stubbornness that you bought a Connext Hap Node when the mechanic recommended a Xiao Sa brand model. Silly you.

You can play it safe in the central systems or design your ship with the ability to outrun, outfight or out-hide your opponents and make your fortune in the outer rims. But be careful! You are just as easily prey as predator in deep space…

Features List:

• Massive open world to explore full of NPCs to interact with
  • Complex contract-based economic system with over 50 employers
  • Time-based open world - opportunities, stories and events happen at certain times as well as certain places, so each play through will be different
  • Tense submarine-influenced combat
  • Fully customisable ships - design your vessel for combat, shipping, stealth and more
  • Mostly avoidable combat for more pacifistic players
  • A world of side quests - no single linear story players are required to follow
  • Explore 12 hand-crafted populated star and 20 uncharted systems full of unknown threats and treasures
  • Find derelict ships, wreckages, cargo pods and communication beacons adrift in space
  • Be a trader, bounty hunter, explorer, pirate or all of them at the same time
  • Sandbox mode - play the game without narrative content in an endless version of the game (coming soon)
  • Scenarios - tense combat scenarios task the player with overcoming impossible odds and testing their skill (coming soon)
  • Multi-player Scenarios - compete or cooperate in a variety of multiplayer modes and situations (coming soon)
  • Build your own DIY controllers at home using Arduinos - anyone can construct their own ship bridge with physical switches and buttons with just a little bit of soldering know-how. Easy to learn and fun to do!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was in beta, got it in erly access. Really cool, but still buggy as hell. Lots of crashes, ships beyond the first one you can buy are so buggy they are pretty much non-viable. Every ship is fun and quite unique, so the game is perfectly playable now. In other words, recommended, but wait for it to stabilise a bit.

The game also has need for some docs, especially comparison of components / modules so you can make informed decisions on what to upgrade. For this I made some python code to extract all relevant data from game and put it into nice excel table. let me know if you're interested, either code or xls.

tindrli

Arcane
duno. i installed and on the first ingame screen i zoomed out and there was no way to zoom in later.. mouse was working, tool tips as well but couldn't continue..i couldnt even exit the game. killed it in task manager and uninstalled it

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As I said, I've tried it. It got way more stable since EA launch, there are updates every few days. It's lots of fun submarine-trader-in-space kind of thing. The graphics might be a turn-off for some. NPCs are also quite wordy, so if you want to just fly around and trade they might be bit annoying.

cpmartins

Cipher
That's not a promising report.

Anyone else tried it?
It's silent hunter in space, but you can trade shit and meet uninteresting persons in bases. Quite good.
You are alone in the ship though, so when shit gets real it gets real quick and painful.
It's quite involved. Each system is configurable and repairable through a separate interface.
EDIT: If you want a more detailed description on how to play a smuggler so you get a better feeling on how the game plays (that's how I'm playing at the moment), give this steam guide a read. It's completely spoiler-free, aside from the few equipment recommendations:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1417282170

Last edited:

Norfleet

It’ll be up to you to keep your ship’s systems running as quietly as possible, going fully ‘dark’ if you have to, just floating with your current trajectory and speed hoping to avoid showing up on anyone else’s scanners as you traverse some of the most dangerous shipping lanes in space.
If you are floating, though, you're a stationary object that happens to be exactly where you are expected to be when you were last seen. I'm not even going to go into the thermodynamics of how dropping off the scope in the first place wouldn't work. I'm just saying, if you don't do anything to change your trajectory, you're stationary and going to be exactly where they expect you to be. You'd have to pull off this change without going above the game's detection threshold.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been following the game off and on for a long time. Always liked the premisis. Now that it is actually released? Meh. It could use some more explaining concerning equipment, a more involved universe and some more ways of dealing with circumstances in space. Not to mention, a lot of bug fixing and extra content. Atmosphere wise though, they nailed it. Hope the devs keep at it. The game seems to be just shy of really becoming something.

Reminds me a LOT of Red Storm Rising (one of my most fondly remembered games for the C64 way back when) in space.

If you like that one, go check out Cold Waters. It's a spiritual successor to ye olde RSR. And rocks.

Tao

Savant
I bought it today, it's pretty addictive but i think is one of those game that you burnt it and it burnt you in a week.

You guys should give it a try. Pretty good overall

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom