Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

By the way, why would it be a bad thing if this did turn out to be GTA Night City with choice and consequence and character customisation/development? Asking for a friend.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eww. Misguided attempt at translating Witcher 3 formula into Deus Theft Fallouto, awful colours edition. Slightly below my already adjusted expectations.

So much for years of bragging about visceral deadly combat. Cinematically slide behind one of the conveniently placed chest high walls, press LMB and watch the lvl 2 mobs soak bullets as their health bars go down, 12 points at a time. Just enough time to take a sip of my delicious MtDew™®©.

What game series does this remind you of?
Shoot guys in an abandoned warehouse-> fetch mission objective-> mission complete, time skip, wake up at safehouse. Phone call.
Follow marker to meet an annoying, exposition providing sidekick-> go get a mission from some kingpin or other asshole-> drive-> TURRET SEQUENCE car chase (everyone loves these)-> cover shooting thugs in a warehouse-> "witty" debrief. Drive to next mission marker for more hot warehouse action?
I couldn't come up with a more generic format if I tried to but wait there's a twist, this GTA comes with Witcher senses- I'm sorry, scanning- which reveals gameplay altering information like "attacking the shield should bring it down"... that's hilariously pointless and low effort.

I thought CDProjekt schmucks were saying something about trying to move away from Witcher to make new and different things, instead they return with more of the same.
This is the groundbreaking Jesus-game all the journos (both blatantly paid off and "independent") were raving about? Come on.
Role playing according to CDP= we assign you a role, you will play it. This time as the Neon Wolf, Veralt of Nightcitia.
Combined with bog standard shooting, +5% epic purple loot, "streamlined" stats and player character, script written by a weightlifter and just enough dialogue choices to fit a console controller I'm noping the fuck out.

You're right, maybe the game will have the best thought out and executed choices and consequences in history but that's still all talk and empty promises.
They made some choices but did not provide any comparison to show if any of that matters at all.
There might be mind bending depths hidden in character builds other than shooty combat man. Maybe the cyberspace dimension will dramatically and dynamically alter tactics and flow of combat.
But if it's really there it means they chose to skip all of the actually interesting stuff in favour of braindead generic mole-a-popping, and that speaks about CDPR's attitude.
Cyberspace, one of the supposed game changers, was used only to flip a switch for a mildly amusing gimmick to happen.
In other games the remote disarmament thing would have been just another activated skill. C2077 does the same from a separate interface and shows nothing else of note but acts like it's all advanced shit.
I smell smoke, I see mirrors.

If they chose to show only simple flashy shit to attract the lowest common denominator it still looks boring from pure action perspective. Underwhelming as an RPG. Nothing above average in terms of exploration and open world.
What am I supposed to take away from this gameplay? That it's supposed to be a shooter for people who don't really like shooters and an RPG for people who don't really like RPGs? Just another 10/10 GOTY calculated for broadest appeal then.

Also it looks FUKIN UGLAY. What year is this and where did gud grafix go?
Nice review.
Would you mind lending me your crystal ball, so I can decide if I agree with it?

You edgelords are pathetic.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Eww. Misguided attempt at translating Witcher 3 formula into Deus Theft Fallouto, awful colours edition. Slightly below my already adjusted expectations.
So much for years of bragging about visceral deadly combat. Cinematically slide behind one of the conveniently placed chest high walls, press LMB and watch the lvl 2 mobs soak bullets as their health bars go down, 12 points at a time. Just enough time to take a sip of my delicious MtDew™®©.

What game series does this remind you of?
Shoot guys in an abandoned warehouse-> fetch mission objective-> mission complete, time skip, wake up at safehouse. Phone call.
Follow marker to meet an annoying, exposition providing sidekick-> go get a mission from some kingpin or other asshole-> drive-> TURRET SEQUENCE car chase (everyone loves these)-> cover shooting thugs in a warehouse-> "witty" debrief. Drive to next mission marker for more hot warehouse action?
I couldn't come up with a more generic format if I tried to but wait there's a twist, this GTA comes with Witcher senses- I'm sorry, scanning- which reveals gameplay altering information like "attacking the shield should bring it down"... that's hilariously pointless and low effort.

I thought CDProjekt schmucks were saying something about trying to move away from Witcher to make new and different things, instead they return with more of the same.
This is the groundbreaking Jesus-game all the journos (both blatantly paid off and "independent") were raving about? Come on.
Role playing according to CDP= we assign you a role, you will play it. This time as the Neon Wolf, Veralt of Nightcitia.
Combined with bog standard shooting, +5% epic purple loot, "streamlined" stats and player character, script written by a weightlifter and just enough dialogue choices to fit a console controller I'm noping the fuck out.

You're right, maybe the game will have the best thought out and executed choices and consequences in history but that's still all talk and empty promises.
They made some choices but did not provide any comparison to show if any of that matters at all.
There might be mind bending depths hidden in character builds other than shooty combat man. Maybe the cyberspace dimension will dramatically and dynamically alter tactics and flow of combat.
But if it's really there it means they chose to skip all of the actually interesting stuff in favour of braindead generic mole-a-popping, and that speaks about CDPR's attitude.
Cyberspace, one of the supposed game changers, was used only to flip a switch for a mildly amusing gimmick to happen.
In other games the remote disarmament thing would have been just another activated skill. C2077 does the same from a separate interface and shows nothing else of note but acts like it's all advanced shit.
I smell smoke, I see mirrors.

If they chose to show only simple flashy shit to attract the lowest common denominator it still looks boring from pure action perspective. Underwhelming as an RPG. Nothing above average in terms of exploration and open world.
What am I supposed to take away from this gameplay? That it's supposed to be a shooter for people who don't really like shooters and an RPG for people who don't really like RPGs? Just another 10/10 GOTY calculated for broadest appeal then.

Also it looks FUKIN UGLAY. What year is this and where did gud grafix go?
This here. Responses like this don't amount to genuine criticism, just silly drivel for trashing the game on purpose. I find a lot od such responses in this thread.
I get it. Some of you guys are just upset at how CDPR has managed to ACTUALLY make a brilliant game. sure, there are certain things I don't like but the game is still work in progress. Even the fuckin demo mentions it. So I don't understand why are people getting so negative and upset at every fuckin thing shown in the demo?
Let's provide our feedback to make the game better, instead of bashing the game. Even CDPR clearly said that the game is still in development and they are looking for feedback from the public in order to improve the game further.

From character voices, to world details, including the mission structure, and a whole lot of options available in just one demo simply blew my mind as to how much attention and thought has been given to this concept of cyberpunk.

I am definitely looking forward to the release and definitely worth pre-ordering the game.

Dexter

Arcane
I've been playing on shit laptops and TV screens for my entire life, so it's entirely possible I'm missing out. I doubt it though.
It's good to know that you have very strong opinions about things like 4K and 60 FPS while having played on shit laptops your entire life and having no comparison. Should've thrown how the human eye cannot see more than 24FPS and 800x600 anyway for measure.

Maybe I am strange or old but I like this cyberpunk ASCII game much more than GTA "popamole" 2077

progress-2018-01-15.gif

progress-2018-01-31.gif
Not sure if joking, but it definitely feels more "Cyberpunk" even though it's just a few pixels. :lol:

I'm not sure which part of this exactly is supposed to tell me "this is a futuristic Cyberpunk setting and totally not a reskinned GTA":
sgWXxta.jpg

5z8FgGc.jpg

MIc4c7a.jpg

smTHO24.jpg

iuoFcAj.jpg

Another thing that was a bit disappointing about the Gameplay slice is that 70% of it took place in non-descript places like a highrise or warehouse and limited environments and you didn't exactly see that much of the world or what you can do in it, just that there are linear fetch quests with a bit of shooting and player interaction. It's sad that the 1:20 minute GTA V Reveal Trailer showed off a lot more of the game and gave much more of a feel of what it'll be about than a 50 minute Gameplay slice.

First 8 minutes: Highrise shooting
6 minutes after: A bit of the open world section around the high-rise apartment they apparently concentrated their efforts on <-- most interesting part
10 minutes after: Mostly a bunch of cutscenes and stuff about specific gameplay options and a bit of exploration in-between <-- 2nd most interesting part
then 3 minutes of driving around GTA-like environments that don't really look very "Cyberpunk" while banter happens
Then around 20 minutes of back street dialogue scene + warehouse "action" ending on a somewhat badly paced disappointing note

There's also various parts where the texture loading or the textures and lighting glitch or shadows are missing/broken, which is curious since game devs/publishers usually want to present their games at their best for such a reveal and very important first impression, which is why some of them even produce "bullsh(i)ot" Trailers:
PwpYJqL.jpg

XzYiPoU.jpg

dziHQmr.jpg

riauA61.jpg

I guess they really wanted to gather feedback and see which parts will be more or less appealing to people.

Big Wrangle

Yeah right, neon saturation is the only thing cyberpunk. God forbid stores save up energy during th day. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

passerby

Arcane
It would look much better with chromatic aberration and various types of blur turned off and some added contrast.

Retarded effects mutilating games graphics since introduction of bloom in DX8.

Don't worry, by the time it will be out the graphic will be downgraded a la witcherino 3. Anyway this game will be awarded rpg of the year so apparently codex became decline

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
I'm not sure which part of this exactly is supposed to tell me "this is a futuristic Cyberpunk setting and totally not a reskinned GTA":
sgWXxta.jpg

In which GTA do you find those lights like the ones seen on the road of both sides, or special street crossing lights on the roads of GTA games??

Its easy to pick any random frame from the video that suits your argument, while conveniently ignoring a lot of details and brilliant world design that SCREAMS Cyberpunk throughout.

Big Wrangle

Mike Pondsmith must be having a fun time reading comments and threads everywhere.

Before gameplay reveal: Too colorful, cut that shit out.
After Gameplay reveal: Too gloomy, where the fuck is the color.
1510229805880.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
By the way, why would it be a bad thing if this did turn out to be GTA Night City with choice and consequence and character customisation/development? Asking for a friend.

I already said that the game doesn't look so bad, if we can customize the HUD to remove the quest markers, bullet damage indicators, etc.

It's just a big disappointment based on what I was hoping/expecting, which is a role-playing game based off a PnP RPG.

I also said that my thoughts were only based off what the demo shows, which I freely admit might not be representative of the full game.

I've played nearly all of the GTA games and I quited like most of them, although I felt GTA5 was a step in the wrong direction and quite poor compared to GTA4 (which itself had some really bad design elements, e.g. HEY COUSIN, WANNA GO BOWLING?). Vice City was the last truly great GTA game. So I'm not a GTA hater, I just wanted something more than that for this game.

Dexter

Arcane
More of a Las Vegas/Miami feel to it. "Cyberpunk 2077" seems more like current day LA or maybe Detroit, with the futuristic setting part only within the very confines of the city.

I guess this is also a reeskinned GTA or whatever
No, that's an Anime. :lol:

And they did their job insofar well as there ain't bright shining sunlight everywhere changing the mood, but smog blocking the sun and direct light, making it feel murky, dim and depressing and it doesn't look like it takes place in current day industrial areas mixed with a bit of Korea town. Here's a better example:

Its easy to pick any random frame from the video that suits your argument, while conveniently ignoring a lot of details and brilliant world design that SCREAMS Cyberpunk throughout.
I picked more than a random frame.

But we had this discussion over like the first 20 pages of the thread already, no need to get butthurt all over again. The new Gameplay video and the bit where they drive around only made it more obvious that it's gonna be GTA: LA 2077

Abhay

Augur

I already said that the game doesn't look so bad, if we can customize the HUD to remove the quest markers, bullet damage indicators, etc.
I do think you will be given an option to turn off. They can't force upon then player as couple of interviews do suggest that the player will be given the freedom to chose his / her playstyle, and I am pretty sure that you can remove the indicators/markers, except for customizing the HUD remains to be seen.

norolim

Arcane
Watched it. Wondering if there'll be a difficulty setting, in which the game won't play itself. E.g. will I be allowed to look around my tiny flat myself and possibly locate the exit or find the jacket, hidden in an almost empty doorless wardrobe? Or do I always have to follow the million red markers on screen? I know that actually playing a game instead of just watching it is a radical concept these days, but :rage:. Seriously, there are so too many assists, both in terms of implants and UI features, that it's seems impossible to fail at anything. Especially, when in combat the enemy AI looks brain dead. I hope it's just, because it's still being designed.

Technically it's OK. It's too early in development to complain about the shooting model, stiff movement or frequently reused assets. Texture are a mixed bag. There were some very good and some awful ones. The end result will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Gameplay is OK from what I can judge based on a video. More or less on par with other popular modern shooters with RPG elements. I liked the atmosphere and aesthetics, however. The feel and look of cyberpunk is definitely there. Item design is interesting, cars look nicely retro future, lots of flashy ads and even some neons. I approve.

Solid presentation. Visually very good, gameplaywise p. banal.

Prime Junta

It's just a big disappointment based on what I was hoping/expecting, which is a role-playing game based off a PnP RPG.

... okay ...

but still puzzled ... about your expectations that is

They've said all along that it's an open-world first-person game set in a city, and that it's a shooter I think goes without saying; after TW3 CDPR wasn't going to suddenly go all turn-based on our asses, especially with their "immershun" schtick. That's exactly what we saw. How much of a RPG it is remains somewhat open -- they didn't show much of the character creation or development, nor any choice & consequence, but they did talk about it, and I can't think of anything in the demo that would suggest that it's not there at all, or even to a lesser extent than the Witchers. If anything, it looks like there could be more of it -- some mechanics are only open for some character builds, e.g. hacking/decking and what have you, whereas Geralt was always Geralt, just tilted more towards signs or swordplay depending on your build choices.

My crystal ball shows yet another what is a narr pee gee discussion, but other than that... if The Witcher 3 qualifies as one, then I haven't seen anything here to suggest that Cyberpunk 2077 should not.

My take is that this is pretty much exactly what I've been expecting to see. The driving mechanics were something I hadn't thought of, but why not; Geralt had Roach after all. Shooting was a given. I was positively impressed by skill use (e.g. mechanics to open that door), hacking (hacking a network through some unfortunate banger's cyberware was cool), and movement (jumping, bouncing off walls etc), all of which are clearly determined by your character build. I would expect there to be similarly designed stealth mechanics so you can make yourself a cyber-ninja. That's very promising when it comes to variety of approaches to problems. It's a rich sandbox to play in, more of an RPG than The Witchers ever were, and certainly more than any GTA even dreams of.

As a cherry on the cake it'd be cool if they add some social mechanics (beyond Street Cred which I expect just goes up with your levels, more or less). Nothing in the demo to suggest that though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom