Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Better Late Than Never: Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter in November, first game coming to Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice; Knights of the Chalice 2

The original Knights of the Chalice was released back in 2009, and was a shining light in a time of darkness for the RPG genre. Its sequel, Knights of the Chalice 2, has pretty much been in development since that very day. Unfortunately not very many people are aware of it. For his own idiosyncratic reasons, creator Pierre Begue has for years refused to make use of modern game distribution and promotion methods, famously refusing an offer from GOG to release Knights of the Chalice on their platform back in 2013. Absurdly, for the longest time Knights of the Chalice 2 development updates have been private, available only to owners of the first game.

But now something has changed. In May, Pierre first brought up the possibility of a Kickstarter for Knights of the Chalice 2 in November. A month later, he revealed that he'd begun the process of being admitted to Steam. And for the past two months, Knights of the Chalice 2 development updates have been posted in a public forum, where they're viewable by all. So, what finally dragged Pierre Begue kicking and screaming into the 21st century? As it turns out, being brought to the brink of starvation. From the latest update:

Hello everyone, here is the promised August update on the development of Knights of the Chalice 2.​

I call this update the 'Light at the End of the Dungeon' because it's the first time that the game is virtually feature complete! And that is a great relief to me. First, let's review the main things that were added since the last update. Secondly, we will have a look at some Necromancer Class design ideas. The Necromancer and Summoner are two possible Kickstarter Stretch Goals for the KotC 2 Kickstarter expected in November 2018. Thirdly, we will have an in-depth look at the beginning of the prologue adventure, called Augury of Chaos. I expect that it will be too big to be a free demo, particularly if it comes with the Module Editor. It will be a good stand-alone prologue adventure. Warning: if you want to avoid spoilers, then you should not read the content of the dialogue screens posted below. Finally, we will talk a little bit about what's next.

[...] On the Steam front, I'm happy to report that I've finally got my own EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the US IRS. This is needed when a developer wants to start selling games on Steam. Hopefully, I'll be able to join Steam without too much difficulty in coming months, after I have released my new Youtube videos for KotC 1 and the prologue module of KotC 2. I wonder if I will have to pay the Steam self-publishing fee for each KotC 2 module, or just once?

Okay, sounds good, so what's next?

Well, I'm planning to use the next 40 to 50 days to pack as much interesting content as possible into the prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos.

My next updates will probably be smaller: I will make a small update when my KotC 2 Features and Screenshots web pages are released, and another small update when my new Youtube videos for both KotC 2 and KotC 1 are released.

Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am putting a whole lot of hope in the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

So, while I keep working very hard on KotC 2, please do your best to promote KotC 1 and advertise the Kickstarter expected to come in November 2018.

Also, I want to say 'thank you for your continuing support' to everyone who bought KotC 1, and a **REALLY BIG** thank you especially to repeat buyers: please let me tell you that your contribution is not going unnoticed, and it is helping me a lot in this development effort! I want to make the best game I can make, and YOU are really helping me do it. Much appreciated!!

Thank you for reading! All comments are welcome. Farewell for now, worthy adventurers, and please stay tuned!
Well, I guess that's one way of learning how to do things. You just make it to Kickstarter, Pierre, and we'll be there.

Bohr

Arcane
Wasn't expecting that, have to admit. But while other devs stroll to McDonalds in the build up to release day, eating roots is probably going to make one reconsider a couple of things. Glad we still have characters like this making RPGs though.

Andhaira

Arcane
Didn't he make the life decision of moving to live in Romania? No wonder he poor.

If he is from Kwa or UK then yes, horrible decision if he was struggling financially, because at least those places have welfare & food stamps.

Here's to hoping the Kickstarter is a massive success.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's too late for this game.

5 years ago could have been a "mid hit" on steam. 2018, where crpg's and pseudo-crpgs are popping out of nowhere, with dozens of indies of quality every month and the biggest competition of all time in the game industry I don't think the game is going to sell well.

I hope I'm wrong though

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing I kind of fear - if Pierre launches the Kickstarter before making it onto Steam and the campaign is a success, he'll get lazy/decide he has enough money and not put KOTC1 on Steam after all.

vazha

Arcane
Am I the only one who thinks him being reduced to eating roots to survive is... sad? Sure, it might give him some creative ideas about druid multiclassing, but still.

slowtard

Educated
Ooo!! Benguk root is delicious, and contains seratonin and nicotine, which are both essential to game development. Only trace amounts in seeds, but you can eat the beans too.

Jinn

Arcane
I wish he would go back to the art style from the first game. It was beautiful. Not big on this digital board-game look.

Also, would love a copy of the original KotC on steam.

for fucks sake dude, get your shit on steam and GoG and get the kickstarter up, I think you may be surprised at the support you will receive. I know I will throw money at you once its easy to do and think think there are a lot of people who want to see games like this made and who don't want you to be forging for roots like you are LARPing Realms of Arkania or Divinity Original Sin...

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom