Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Downloaded the MHGU demo for Switch and it's really painful to go back to old-style MH. Still for some reason the hit detection seems tighter and the game seems more precise and readable despite looking like shit and running at 30fps.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Downloaded the MHGU demo for Switch and it's really painful to go back to old-style MH. Still for some reason the hit detection seems tighter and the game seems more precise and readable despite looking like shit and running at 30fps.

Heh, these fucking WORLDBABS and their super-easy CASUAL Monster Hunter for PC! That shit is so easy compared to CLASSIC Monster Hunter! Absolutely none of the difficulty gulf could possibly be due to higher framerates, greater visual fidelity, better hitboxes, fluid camera movement, and vastly superior control schemes!

Probably the reason old-style MH seems noticeably improved on the Switch is because the Switch has two analog sticks and a non-cramped screen (or the option for one, anyway).

I think it's crazy that Crapcom is charging 60 bucks for this port. Then again, it's the Switch and everything is way overpriced. I still think they could very easily manage 60fps with how the game looks, incompetent fucks.

Ventidius

Arbiter

I'm planning to get a Switch later this year and getting Gen Ultimate, but... yeah, I don't know if I would be able to go back to old MH at this point. Not for a while anyway. Especially considering I have already played Gen on the 3DS. I know there will be new content, G-Rank, etc; but honestly, the thought of going back not only to 30 fps, mediocre graphics, and console controls, but also loading screens between areas, makes me want to at least try the demo first.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've tried Xeno/Vaal armors, different weapons and mixed combinations but for now this is the best I can do with High Rank armor, Greatswords and my jewels.

The defense and damage output on this build are quite satisfactory (true charge on Nergigante is like 500).

I wanted Critical Draw or Critical Boost but unfortunately you cannot have everything in life however Affinity Sliding is pretty cool to be honest (when it works is equivalent to a full set of Critical Eye).

6491A8EDE888990930AE1138B0DEA21A3CA90A76

Best time for Nergigante (with others although most of the fight I was alone):

Last edited:

JBro

Arbiter
I picked up MHGU. The only thing really painful are all the dumb low level quests.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still like MHGU, even though I also enjoy MHW. I treat them as separate games, each with their own gameplay strengths and weaknesses. I really enjoy the monster variety in MHGU, I'm probably going to be playing it more now that High Rank isn't locked behind a guild quest. Just have had to 'beat' the original game's storyline in order to unlock high rank.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My best time so far on Xeno'jiiva (which I'd estimate is a fight featuring 3/5ths hiking and 2/5ths combat) is 18 minutes, solo, always with the Insect Glaive, and always breaking most/all parts.

I decided to try the Bow for the sake of variety.

I will not be using the Bow ever again in a Xeno'jiiva fight. I reached this conclusion after I spent 12 minutes in the first phase alone and then carted for the first time since the introductory battle.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
EDIT: I realize PC users don't have all of the content yet.

I recommend using Karma + other rapid fire element Light Bowguns /w three piece Xeno armor set for Spare Shot.

:lol:

I was watching this again because I've finished making Karma and was interested in the others, and realized that of the five only Karma is currently available on PC―and Karma only made the list because of its easy accessibility.

LBG is good bro, you just need rare drops from unreleased event bosses. Yeah sure the R6 Legiana ice bow will still do way more damage to Diablos than this rare event LBG, but uh... LBG is fun!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
:lol:

I was watching this again because I've finished making Karma and was interested in the others, and realized that of the five only Karma is currently available on PC―and Karma only made the list because of its easy accessibility.

There's other elemental LBG you can get that are pretty close in the base game.

LBG is good bro, you just need rare drops from unreleased event bosses. Yeah sure the R6 Legiana ice bow will still do way more damage to Diablos than this rare event LBG, but uh... LBG is fun!

Bow and HBG are top tier for speed running. I already told you about HBG but you scoffed at it. So which is it? Do you want the fastest speed running weapon or not?

LBG are not the fastest but they are still a solid choice.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I already use the Bow a fair bit and the HBG is what it is. Probably most of the HBG's speedrunning capability comes from mortar spam.

Let me put it to you this way: Every time I take one of the Nerf guns that are LBGs out and try it, I long to return to a melee weapon instead. You can't even fucking use Elementless with Karma despite the fact that it's shit to use with its single elemental option. Apparently, if a BG has even one available elemental ammo type, it can't ever be used with Elementless.

The only way I could get more than a tickle's worth of damage on Xeno'jiiva for example was to shoot piercing ammo directly down its throat. No other ammunition type did anything remotely approaching good damage to any part of its body, and even if it had, the constant three-second-long reloading sessions would have tanked the numbers anyway.

The only way to use Wyvernblast with any reliability, as even the video you linked to demonstrates, is to trot up while the monster is downed and plant the blasts right under its face. You know what else deals good damage to monsters from melee range? Melee weapons. Also, I can just plant a barrel or two in front of a downed monster's face and get a similar effect if I'm going to spend that much time setting something up. You know what else I notice in most of the videos? He's with a full group when using LBGs. It's no wonder, because with a full group people are less likely to notice that your damage is worse than a Palico with Meowlotov Cocktail.

It's one thing to use a weapon just for fun, but if it more than doubles my mission completion time and ends up getting me carted, the annoyance outweighs the fun.

DragoFireheart

It's one thing to use a weapon just for fun, but if it more than doubles my mission completion time and ends up getting me carted, the annoyance outweighs the fun.

Fair enough, but I use the LBG to great success. Admittingly the LBGs in the base game are not that great and Lunastra/Kulve Taroth added really good LBGs.

Ex: with the Styx LBG I can kill Xeno in under 15 minutes and with much greater ease than melee weapons.

Also I just tried the MHGU demo and it's complete dogshit I want to barf. I thought I'd give it another try since I gave MH Tri a go once and hated it after testing Sns/Lance/Greatsword.

Nope still shit controls lmao

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Kushala farming has begun. It's not as bad as I'd feared, spamming crystal bursts really does make his wind shield a non issue for the most part. Between that and his fairly low hp (and eating over 1k damage from Nerg in a turf war) the battle was over pretty quick. The finishing blow was hilarious- I mounted him and the first pinprick with the hunter knife finished him off. Was running flinchfree 3 as well, not sure how much that helped, going to trade a level of it for 2 levels in health up instead, I spent a lot of time healing up to be on the safe side.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Fair enough, but I use the LBG to great success.

Fucking HOW? When I shoot this piece of a crap at a weak point, I'll see some bullshit like 11, 11, 11... 11, 11, 11... 11, 11, 11... [three-second reload]. That's with an R8 Karma, a fucking full Nerg set, an Attack III charm, Demondrug, and Attack (L) food. The moth on my fucking Insect Glaive can practically deal more damage than that.

I'm going to make a video of this shit at some point as proof so that sane people who don't use the LBG can see what I mean.

Kushala farming has begun. It's not as bad as I'd feared, spamming crystal bursts really does make his wind shield a non issue for the most part. Between that and his fairly low hp (and eating over 1k damage from Nerg in a turf war) the battle was over pretty quick. The finishing blow was hilarious- I mounted him and the first pinprick with the hunter knife finished him off. Was running flinchfree 3 as well, not sure how much that helped, going to trade a level of it for 2 levels in health up instead, I spent a lot of time healing up to be on the safe side.

The only problem emerges when you want to co-op, but with fewer than 4 people, which is how I've been playing almost the entire game. Hell, even if we sent out SOS flares, with the recent netcode/network infrastructure changes, we'd probably be lucky if they were answered 10% of the time.

DragoFireheart

Fair enough, but I use the LBG to great success.

Fucking HOW? When I shoot this piece of a crap at a weak point, I'll see some bullshit like 11, 11, 11... 11, 11, 11... 11, 11, 11... [three-second reload]. That's with an R8 Karma, a fucking full Nerg set, an Attack III charm, Demondrug, and Attack (L) food. The moth on my fucking Insect Glaive can practically deal more damage than that.

I'm going to make a video of this shit at some point as proof so that sane people who don't use the LBG can see what I mean.

My Karma is hitting enemies for 34 / 21 / 21 as an example. When I test the giant pillar in the training area I see numbers like 64 / 30 / 30 IIRC.

Make sure to hit their weak spots and have Weakness Exploit 2/3 or 3/3 and stack as much crit until you get 90%/100% crit, then stack attack. Make sure to use Normal Round 2 (never use Normal Round 1 it's trash). Make sure to mod Karma for Close Range Damage X 3. While Karma can't use Non-Elemental boost, it has a shit ton of affinity. When you crit you deal 25% more damage.

There's a late game quest where you have 25 minutes to kill 4 monsters. I can do it in 15 minutes with Karma.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Also check to make sure you're at the right range. For anyone wanting to try bows/bowguns, you should fire when your targeting reticle has a secondary circle inside the usual one, which means you're at the correct distance to get the maximum damage (which differs for the various ammo types).

17dVHXT.png

You want it to look like the one on the right. You'll do far less damage outside of this range.

The more you know!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Make sure to mod Karma for Close Range Damage X 3.

Oh yeah, that'd be why. I modded for Recoil x3 since it allows for very rapid fire.

If I want to deal damage from Switch Axe range I'll probably just use the SA though, but it's nice to know I have the option of using a ranged weapon from melee range also.

DragoFireheart

Make sure to mod Karma for Close Range Damage X 3.

Oh yeah, that'd be why. I modded for Recoil x3 since it allows for very rapid fire.

If I want to deal damage from Switch Axe range I'll probably just use the SA though, but it's nice to know I have the option of using a ranged weapon from melee range also.

The Switch Axe is like a cross between Longsword and Great Sword with the best reach for a melee, but I find you have to do long combos to get the most out of it which tends to result in you getting hit. Could just smack shit in axe mode but meh.

Get the Barroth Switch Axe and get Free Element to X3: you'll have the best weapon with built-in Paralysis.

You'll want to get good with one of the ranged weapons for dealing with Kirin and Kushala Daora. It's not a great idea to get hit often when they are tempered.

Dual Blades are the best melee weapon hands down, especially when you can mix in Mushroomancer X3: you can grow Devil's Blight which are Dash Juices. I prefer the Fire & Ice DBs in the base game + either lots of Handicraft or Master's Touch from Fire Lion. Also has slide spin-to-win. Fire & Ice is probably the best DBs in the base game: nothing resists both Ice and Blast and it also has 10% affinity.

Hammer is another solid choice though it struggles against the really fast monsters. Does massive stun damage though and has flying spin-to-win. Diablos Hammer is the best choice. I find it to be the best "heavy weapon". Really kicks the crap out of anything weak to Stun.

HBG w/ Cluster bombs (either Zorah in base game or Deviljho with expansions), LBGs using triple elemental shot or triple Normal shot 2 (Karma), and Elemental Bows are your best changed options.

Mobility or ranged attacks are just key in this game when you start fighting harder shit.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've carefully crept back and forth to find the exact minimal range (meaning this is the furthest away you can be) at which you receive Close Range x3's damage boost:

You could literally pee on it from here. :lol:

Dual Blades are the best melee weapon hands down

31407b7fb5.png

I disagree. I've used both and I find the IG has comparable damage with much better reach, mobility, and utility.

DragoFireheart

Blaine

Never been impressed with the Insect Glaive: if I'm fighting something that flies I'd rather use a Bow/LBG/HBG and other melee weapons are better on the ground.

Plus I hate micro-managing the insect.

EDIT: I'd absolutely choose the IG over the Greatsword and Lance though, for example.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Alright Blaine lets do a E-peen test:

There's a High Rank optional quest called Hard To Swallow. It's just a Great Jagris hunt. Do a test run and tell me how fast you can kill it with your Insect Glaive.

My time with my Fire & Ice dual blade + some random base game janky gear (to enable Mushroomancer basically):

2 minutes 00.49 seconds.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I got dumped into the treetops and lost about ten seconds fast traveling to camp. Typical. :lol:

Doesn't really matter. The point is just that they're comparable; I have no doubt the DBs have somewhat higher DPS, all else being equal. They'd better, since that's literally all they do.

I once killed Tzitzi in about two minutes when I had next to zero offensive skills and a R6 version of this IG, just testing it out for the very first time.

a830d0ddbb.png

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fast Nergigante hunt:

And I've encountered the first hacker: I sent the SOS flare, he joined and then he proceeded to one-shot the monster. I was nowhere near the monster.

Edit: By they way, I got a commendation after a Nergigante fight for the most damage and it was like 11k of damage (!?).

DragoFireheart

I got dumped into the treetops and lost about ten seconds fast traveling to camp. Typical. :lol:

Doesn't really matter. The point is just that they're comparable; I have no doubt the DBs have somewhat higher DPS, all else being equal. They'd better, since that's literally all they do.

I once killed Tzitzi in about two minutes when I had next to zero offensive skills and a R6 version of this IG, just testing it out for the very first time.

a830d0ddbb.png

I might give IG a go.

I always wanted to invest in them but the insect was a turn off. You may have convinced me Blaine.

In other news:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...s_time_for_monster_hunter_veterans_to_accept/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom