Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brandon Adler spills the beans about Pillars of Eternity II Forgotten Sanctum DLC at Expansive

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Seeker, Slayer, Survivor; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - The Forgotten Sanctum

The Seeker, Slayer, Survivor DLC for Pillars of Eternity II has yet to be formally revealed. Surprisingly, that didn't stop Brandon Adler from spilling the beans about The Forgotten Sanctum DLC that's meant to come out after it, in an interview at Gamescom he gave to a representative from the website Expansive. It's quite the little scoop, actually. According to Brandon, The Forgotten Sanctum will deal with the archmages of Eora, who have gathered to figure out what to do about Eothas. It'll be a Fort Deadlight-style dungeon adventure scenario, where the player will have to choose which mages to side with and which to betray. Apparently this will have some sort of impact on the endgame as well. I quote:

You’ve recently released Beast of Winter and Seeker, Slayer, Survivor is up next. What can you tell us about the forthcoming expansions and how will they continue to evolve and iterate on PoE 2?

BA: On each of the DLCs, we wanted to explore a different aspect of the game. In the first DLC – Beast of Winter – it was important for us to focus on exploration and puzzle elements. And even digging a little deeper into the lore of things.

With Seeker, Slayer, Survivor we’re focusing on the combat, trying to explore how far can we take the combat system, and what kind of stuff can we be doing with this. What kind of cool encounters can we be setting up with this?

And then with The Forgotten Sanctum we’re going to build and provide the best dungeon experience. So it will be very dungeon dive-like and will really appeal to players who love Fort Deadlight, it’s going to have the same kind of feel. A big, cohesive dungeon.

So, we’re just taking what’s already in the game and evolve it to the max.​

We know it builds on some character choices and we got a bit of a taste of that in Beast of Winter, one big decision in particular. Can we expect a bit more of that in The Forgotten Sanctum?

BA: I will say – without spoilers – I think the choice at the end of that one is going to be really, really cool. People are going to be digging it.

So, each of the DLCs focuses on one of the Gods. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor is Galawain and Beast of Winter had Rymrgand. The next one I can’t talk about just yet, but it will be one of the gods and will be a bit more mysterious.

What I can really get into is that it is spellcaster focused, so for those who’ve rolled a spellcaster they’re going to have a lot of new things to dig around in, like new spells and things like that. Lots of new equipment for them. As mentioned, we have a big focus on the dungeon-diving aspect and delving overall. That will be a big part of it and how we explore those different spaces.

There are also Arch Mages in the world and they’re all trying to figure out what do we do with Eothas. There’s this big, gigantic God, tromping around, smashing up everything. They all had different ideas on how to deal with him and so you’re going to be dealing with them in some respects. Like, do you back certain Arch Mages, do you betray certain ones? Do you say ‘screw it’ and do your own thing? So that’s some of the choices going to be in there as well, and dealing with that.

The description of the DLC suggests that your actions and consequences will be felt all across Deadfire at the end. Does that potentially link up to future additional content / build toward a third game? What is that description meant to convey?

BA: We are planning to have some additional reactivity with the game, even more so than we had with Beast of Winter and planning for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. We will have more of a direct impact on some of things that deal with Eothas. I can’t get into exactly what that is but that will be there.

Currently we do not have plans for any additional paid DLC after the third one, obviously that would depend on the perception of the content and what we’re doing.

The franchise itself, there’s a lot of different things we want to do with the IP. And it’s not even just isometric games. We really want to support the IP long term in a lot of different ways. For instance, I know Josh was talking about pitching a Final Fantasy tactics type game using the Pillars universe. I know there’s a lot of people at the studio who want to do something in the vein of an Elder Scrolls. So there’s a lot of things we’re kind of exploring for that.

For the third game, we’re still talking about that and seeing what make sense right now.​

The interview also has details about Seeker, Slayer, Survivor of course, and about the free updates that are scheduled for release in the coming months. One notable takeaway is that Josh Sawyer is leading development on an overhaul of the game's ship combat system, which has been heavily criticized for its shallowness. It's starting to feel like he never left at all!

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Forgotten Sanctum will deal with the archmages of Eora, who have gathered to figure out what to do about Eothas.
Already pretty heavily hinted at in game, with the way the current archmage stuff ends. New ending will be:

conversation option x: Pls give power to [favourite Archmage] to guide us post-wheel-break, thanks bud.

Another Deadlight sounds great and after BoW, I've got high hopes for all Deadfire dlcs.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tactics are the heaviest "sleeper hit" genre, and relatively inexpensive to make. A tactics spin-off would be a good choice for Pillars.

Wizfall

Cipher
Another year or so, and this game will be ready to play!
More like six months i guess.
Still it has become a very long wait for those waiting for the game to be "complete" to play :(
Except for the free "balancing and enhancement patches" I liked much better an unique big old expansion model which was worth a full replay by itself like in the old time.

Another year or so, and this game will be ready to play!
More like six months i guess.
Still it has become a very long wait for those waiting for the game to be "complete" to play :(
Except for the free "balancing and enhancement patches" I liked much better an unique big old expansion model which was worth a full replay by itself like in the old time.

Totally. I'm an unabashed fanboy of the IE games. For me they came out at that right moment where I had the freedom to mostly eschew the responsibilities real life and still have enough imagination and innocence to accept their shortcomings as part of their charm. I've played through them all countless times, except maybe IWD2, and they still do it for me. So of course, I was very stoked to back POE1, only to feel completely underwhelmed with it on release, but still saw enough value in it to restart a few times after each major patch. I ended up putting it down and then playing it to its overstayed conclusion once White March 2 didn't seem to have any significant changes on the horizon and mostly enjoyed it. It's pretty alright! But I'm resigned to the fact that nothing will recapture the newness and joy of BG and especially BG2 and especially especially PST.

As a grown up dealing with the realities of remembering to take my syphilis medicine every day, my Scout Master who may or may not press charges, and the fallout from when I punched that lady at the farmers market when she wouldn't get out of my face when I told her that I thought her homemade hot sauce was week and uninspired (seriously, how can you taste Secret Aardvark and think you have a chance), I'm jaded yet optimistic enough at this point to know that when POE2 hits that point of relative completion, it'll be worth my time, but in the meanwhile I've learned to be patient yet supportive because it definitely scratched that IE itch and from all I've seen and heard, POE2 will be a thing I enjoy when it's "ready" and can always kick it with other things until that sweet spot arrives is this a run-on sentence?

Speaking of which, I'm stoked, as the kids definitely still say, to play DOS2 Deluxe Special Enhanced Edition, as soon as I finish my playthrough of Grimrock II, which is a fucking masterpiece IMO.

Thanks for listening to this oldschool Codex newb. I have not been drinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom