Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've a feeling they will add "bullet time" like in Fallout, also in Elder's Scrolls. Why? Because it's KEWL MAN

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Wasn't there a bullet time skill already in Skyrim? I could swear a certain shield skill allowed slow motion. Though not 100% sure, because it could also have been my slow computer back then.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasn't there a bullet time skill already in Skyrim? I could swear a certain shield skill allowed slow motion. Though not 100% sure, because it could also have been my slow computer back then.
The Archery skill had a bullet time perk. So you could (depending on perks) use your Stamina to sprint, bullet time, roll, power attack and shield bash.

There's hardly an action RPG involving shooting that doesn't profit from a bullet time mechanic. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided added it as well, which alongside several new offensive augmentations helped make the combat less boring than its predecessor.

Santander02

Arcane
The Archery skill had a bullet time perk. So you could (depending on perks) use your Stamina to sprint, bullet time, roll, power attack and shield bash.

There's hardly an action RPG involving shooting that doesn't profit from a bullet time mechanic. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided added it as well, which alongside several new offensive augmentations helped make the combat less boring than its predecessor.

Also celerity (VTMB)

deuxhero

Arcane
I love how Bethesda keeps scaling down cities in their game. They don't even bother to add filler NPCs (e.g. just "Villager" or "Citizen" with generic topics to talk about) just to add the density to the place so it won't be so fucking dead. Man, can't wait to see a garrison of 3 men, a city mayor, a merchant and 1 quest giver - all in one-building town called Faggetfall.

Looks like Khorinis from Gothic 2 is still one of the best towns in RPGs.

Khorinis came at the cost of being the only true "town" in the game, with some more (fire mage place, bandit farm, that place in the expansion) or less (that inn, the old camp) populated places that contained a few points of interest. Not that this couldn't work with TES VI if Bethesda chose their setting right. With say... Esroniet you could have a grand city of Black Harbor (The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Harbor does have a nice ring to it), large enough to contain several quests (and as the city is a recent conquest, it could plausibly hold secrets most of the population doesn't know about) with some scattered native villages and Tamrielian farms.

Not that Bethesda is that smart.

Santander02

Arcane
I love how Bethesda keeps scaling down cities in their game. They don't even bother to add filler NPCs (e.g. just "Villager" or "Citizen" with generic topics to talk about) just to add the density to the place so it won't be so fucking dead. Man, can't wait to see a garrison of 3 men, a city mayor, a merchant and 1 quest giver - all in one-building town called Faggetfall.

Looks like Khorinis from Gothic 2 is still one of the best towns in RPGs.

Khorinis came at the cost of being the only true "town" in the game, with some more (fire mage place, bandit farm, that place in the expansion) or less (that inn, the old camp) populated places that contained a few points of interest. Not that this couldn't work with TES VI if Bethesda chose their setting right. With say... Esroniet you could have a grand city of Black Harbor (The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Harbor does have a nice ring to it), large enough to contain several quests (and as the city is a recent conquest, it could plausibly hold secrets most of the population doesn't know about) with some scattered native villages and Tamrielian farms.

Not that Bethesda is that smart.

I say Witcher 3 did a great job in making a city that really felt like a "city", with plenty of small hamlets and villages to fill the countryside, most of those villages even had a quest or two associated with them so you can't say they had less content than beth towns. Man I hope after seeing Novigrad (or heck even Oxenfurt, drab as it was) gamers will see Bethesda's cities for the theme parks kiosks they are, post Morrowind Beth could never make a city bigger than Vivec (and what they made after Morrowind doesn't even come close to Vivec, Solitude and nuFO cities are a joke). But hey their shitty engine could never handle more than 10 npc's on screen so I guess they have their reasons, even if they stubbornly refuse to move away from that engine due to said reasons.

Incidentally I've always dreamed of playing an RPG set entirely in a realistically sized medieval or medieval-like city, GTA with swords and (optionally) magic you could say. Only BG2 and PST kind of went that route I think.*

*Do not talk about DA2

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Bethesda npcs have all those ai packages attached. If they didn't they could probably manage something like Beuclair..

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Incidentally I've always dreamed of playing an RPG set entirely in a realistically sized medieval or medieval-like city, GTA with swords and (optionally) magic you could say. Only BG2 and PST kind of went that route I think.*

Legends of Valor :troll:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Without their IPs and marketing Bethesda, just like EA, would be nothing. Present Elder Scrolls and Past Elder Scrolls have as much in common as modern MTV with MTV from the 80s or History Channel with History or Todd Hoeward with Truth. Or CNN fact check with facts and checks (unless checks are written by Clintons or Saudis).

Thus my advice is forget ES, pay more attention to other new franchises (like Codex approved Realms Beyond) and wait for the Trump's brother (who's on Beth'se board of directors) company coup. Make Bethesda Make RPGs Again!

Bethesda npcs have all those ai packages attached. If they didn't they could probably manage something like Beuclair..

Yeah that's why Belethor's apprentice can't notice wood sticking out of his leg and takes off his clothes, draws perfectly rusty iron dagger and charges with a fury of enraged Dremora at nearby landed dragon.He probably dropped all those AI packages alongside wood when dragon appeared :roll:

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I thought we were talking about city size? Their npcs hold them back. If they made dummy npcs (laugh) that had no inventories or combat, I bet they could make larger cities.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they continue down the road of improving gameplay, we could have a serviceable first person melee Action RPG on our hands. And with any luck the community can build a decent standalone like Enderal with it. Just my two cents.

Draugir101

Novice
Walking simulators isn't really my thing, but I think it's good that Bethesda is making these games. Some people are unable to walk, so for them it is probably a great experience to play a game where they really get to feel how it actually is.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The great thing about these games (bethesda, gamebryo engine) is that they can be modded to hell and back. That's what saves them. Fans can make and have made really good mods. IDK of any game that can be modded to such an extent.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I'm sure alot of people here will buy it to bitch about it, pretend they don't like it on here to be popular then cry some more.

Won't be buying, same as I never played skyrim, why play a game you know you will hate?

Barbalos

Savant
Bethesda couldn't write their way out of a paper bag these days. It doesn't bode well that marketing tards like Howard run the show now. I'll pirate it, and pay for it if it surprises me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom