Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You stop enjoying new RPGs around age 30+

best describes you

• im 13 but I play f1. Is something wrong with me?

• <30, old people should stop playing games

• <30, already see less enjoyment with new titles

• >30, only new games i enjoyed are AoD/Underrail

• >30, play only oldies, they are cheaper

• >30, new games are bad/worse, same as movies, and music, and my age is not related

• >30, didnt enjoy DOS/witcher/dork souls

• >30, drive harley, enjoy new titles

Results are only viewable after voting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Well, actual study was done for music and is not really new as similar findings were circulating since 2015:
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6
It's a simple fact of life that older people reminisce about the glory days. You might believe you'll stay young and free-spirited forever, but one day you'll find yourself grumbling about not understanding the latest slang words and asking a young person what a meme is.

For some it might be happening earlier than they thought. That's according to a new survey from Deezer, which suggests people stop discovering new music at just 30 and a half.

but you can see it clearly extrapolating on RPGs just by looking at codex. I bet steam would be available to confirm it.

Now it suddenly makes sense, codexers cant into determinism for they were not exposed to it soon enough. Its not lost though as some of you might have children one day.

Zenith

Arbiter
The music streaming service surveyed 1,000 Brits
24 [years old] is when 75% of respondents said they listened to 10 or more new tracks a week
(25%) said they wouldn't be likely to try new music from outside their preferred genres
Could also be that a 20 y.o. signs up to a music streaming service for different reasons than a 30 y.o. Or that the service sucks. Or that "preferred genres" means just that, big surprise. Or any number of reasons, they don't even link the "study". They also don't make a distinction between "discovering music" and "listening to the currently popular artists" (one of the articles they link is about the latter, but they present it as if it's the former).

Deterministic systems are cool. I dunno if you're pulling a Roguey on purpose, but the main reason codexers hate determinism might be you personally.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I still enjoy new things but it's true that in these past few years I've felt less and less like the target audience for a lot of new entertainment. The peak of things-made-for-Roguey was the 80s, 90s, and 00s :negative:

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Incorrect by my experience. I merely require myself to find something pleasantly surprising about a new RPG / a new game, and then I'll be able to immerse myself within it entirely.

The older you are, the more impervious you are to bottom dollar bullshit, is what I'd say.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This is total bullshit. Some people might be stuck in their ways. I know I listen to new music on the regular. More now than I did in my fucking twenties.

I am also not against change. I played all these modern games that are supposed to be hot shit. They just aren't hot shit. They are old shit with new paint - except now the paint gives you extra helpings of cancer.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Actually, it is the total opposite of what the OP is trying to claim, I'm bored because of the lack of will of the developers to try something new and interesting and not because I don't want to try something new.

So bored of all those knock off DnD settings on RPGs, where is my christian eschatology RPG? My prehistory RPG? My urban fantasy RPG? My horror RPG? As a grown man, I have the feeling or replaying inferior versions of older ideas and I just don't have time for that stuff. I had this huge feeling of a pointless waste of time on something like DOS 2 and Pillar II, they aren't completely bad games but the deja vu sense you have playing those games is big and both didn't have anything on them that made them must play RPGs to me.

I think the problem is that to invent something new, you need to have talent, it is easier to buy an IP and milk it by turning it on an online FPS like Bethesda did than trying to make anything new. This is a big problem of not only big companies.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is total bullshit. Some people might be stuck in their ways. I know I listen to new music on the regular. More now than I did in my fucking twenties.

I am also not against change. I played all these modern games that are supposed to be hot shit. They just aren't hot shit. They are old shit with new paint - except now the paint gives you extra helpings of cancer.

Yes this is total utter rubbish. There is good things and bad things and you dont suddenly lose the ability to discern between them when you hit the magic age of 30.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Well, actual study was done for music and is not really new as similar findings were circulating since 2015:
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6
It's a simple fact of life that older people reminisce about the glory days. You might believe you'll stay young and free-spirited forever, but one day you'll find yourself grumbling about not understanding the latest slang words and asking a young person what a meme is.

For some it might be happening earlier than they thought. That's according to a new survey from Deezer, which suggests people stop discovering new music at just 30 and a half.

but you can see it clearly extrapolating on RPGs just by looking at codex. I bet steam would be available to confirm it.

Now it suddenly makes sense, codexers cant into determinism for they were not exposed to it soon enough. Its not lost though as some of you might have children one day.

I disagree. I am in my earlyish 40s and I still like new music. In fact, when I was a kid I was very hostile to and hated most new music and thought it was gay. Now, I don't care and like what I like. I listen to some Enya, and that elastic heart song lady and the tubby English lady. Also, I can't listen to most of my favorite music from my earlier days around my kids.

I was much more open to playing different genres when I was a kid, and this narrowed over the years. Some games in the last four/five years are some of my all time favorites like Underrail, AoD, WL2, TToN, MMX, Blackguards, nuXComs, etc. Hell, I like PoE 1/2 better than Baldur's Gate 1/2.

The older I get the harder it is for me to play games old enough to have exceedingly bad UIs and functionality. Every time I play them the Buck Rogers get harder and harder to play. I gave up on most games earlier than gold box. Even Darklands is getting to be too much of a hassle cpntrols/UI-wise. Devil Whisky is a game I should love, but the fucking controls drive me nuts. Why make an updated BT-clone and leave out the best thing about modern games?

Speaking of that? How can people that make games now where everything works well but they don't have rebindable keys?

That is one thing that gets more and more important as you get older - keeping the same control scheme. I can't even remember what fucking year it is half the time, and fucking modern devs want me to remember what key they think something should do? Just let me decide. In fact, I would be a big proponent of having this website, steam, other websites the kids think are popular, everyone on the world get together and make a new world law that any game released today forward has to be required by law to have rebindable keys or their games won't be covered, sold, etc, and can be legally pirated and can't be copyrighted. Its such a little thing yet no one fucking allows it. Its pure insanity. What kind of prick dev thinks that they know better than I do what key I should hit to do something? That shit can't be hard adding it. They make whole fucking games with combat and rpg systems. I just don't understand. Unless it is some sort of global conspiracy to see how many old men they can get to yell at clouds.

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you are 25-55, the entertainment industry rotates around you like the moon around the Earth or the Earth around the sun.

Examples-
Game of Thrones
Battletech computer games
Star Wars movies
Star Trek reboot/ STD
X-File reboot
Rampage movie
Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour
Baldur's Gate 2: EE
Transformers movies
TMNT movies
Pokemon Go/ Pokemon revival

etc...

All so that you can share the crap you loved when you were a kid with your kids.

Roqua

Prospernaut
not rly related: what is this drive for having unlimited save games with no custom titles. Bonus points if they are tossed along with auto saves. In witcher3 you quickly end up with 300+ and it gets quite hard to backtrack to that meaningful one.

I think this is a console thing. I can't think of one game designed for civilized computer users that does this. It goes along with all the other shit console games made standard and acceptable, like shit UIs, 20 button presses just to navigate to a list for an inventory, to scroll through endless rubbish in the list to change your pants, rpg-lite, no chargen, etc.

Piranha Bytes?

Not just them. It seems to be getting more and more common instead of less and less. I think this annoyance is a combination of dev's thinking their control scheme is better than the peons that play their games, and all the games made for little shitty computers and phones that just don't even include options, never mind key rebinds.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I do realize the purpose of the thread is mostly to keep trolling about determinism, but the subject is interesting, so I'll chime in with my two cents:

It isn't a matter of age, but one of laziness. By the time they're thirty, most men will be done for life with the academia or any kind of studies at all. They stop exercising their brains, and in the same way their bodies become soft and weak, so do their minds. The capacity to acquire new knowledge quickly fades away, and the comfort provided by the already tried and true far surpasses the thrill of the new. If you're already past your 30's and you find this to be true, you're fast on your way to becoming obese, senile, and a cuckold.

Curratum

True story, I generally stopped enjoying new games at large around the age of 30. The only game I truly enjoyed in the last decade was Witcher 3 probably.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting theory in the OP.
When it comes to music I can totally relate. My prefered genre is prog, with metal/heavy rock second.
The last time something interesting happened on the music front was probably the Britpop period about 20 years ago, when I was 30.
I used to listen to music quite a lot, but these days rarely. When I do, when for example on a rare long bus or train ride, I invariably end up listening to Yes or King Crimson.

As for games, things are more complicated.
I game more now than I did 20 years ago, and I started playing games chronologically when the whole gaming industry was at its lowest ebb around 2010, so I have very little experience with newer games (tried Expeditions: Conquistador, but it ran like syrup).
But I've tried and thoroughly enjoyed lots of older games that were new to me. So how does that correlate with the theory in the OP? Does it not count as "new" experiences since they are similar in style to games I enjoyed as a kid?

Roqua

Prospernaut
I do realize the purpose of the thread is mostly to keep trolling about determinism, but the subject is interesting, so I'll chime in with my two cents:

It isn't a matter of age, but one of laziness. By the time they're thirty, most men will be done for life with the academia or any kind of studies at all. They stop exercising their brains, and in the same way their bodies become soft and weak, so do their minds. The capacity to acquire new knowledge quickly fades away, and the comfort provided by the already tried and true far surpasses the thrill of the new. If you're already past your 30's and you find this to be true, you're fast on your way to becoming obese, senile, and a cuckold.

If you think you can stop learning or thinking when you get a real job after school, you either don't have a real job or are still in school. School is the easiest, most thought free part of your life. Enjoy it.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If you think you can stop learning or thinking when you get a real job after school, you either don't have a real job or are still in school.

I'm not quite sure of whether you misunderstood me, or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
My point is that many will willingly forgo any kind of education once they're past the last "obligatory" (i.e., what ideally will provide the means of sustenance for the rest of their lives: university) stage, as implied by societary standards.
Now, if what you're aiming at is that a man is pressured to keep himself updated to stay at the top professionally and therefore he should have no chance of letting his guard down ever... well, we might be living in two completely parallel societies, because I rarely see that kind of drive in any professional. Most are just a bunch of mediocre dipshits with a title's worth of whatever knowledge was up to date when they last were young.

I'm well aware it is possible —and commendable!— to both study and work because that's precisely what I do, and don't intend to stop at any point.

School is the easiest, most thought free part of your life. Enjoy it.
I've enjoyed my ages past, am enjoying my current, and am sure will enjoy what's to come, because first and foremost I'm at ease with myself. If you believe your life already peaked so early an age and everything after's bound to go downhill, perhaps you should reconsider how and where you're currently standing at.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Even Darklands is getting to be too much of a hassle cpntrols/UI-wise.

Imagine not having all of Darklands permanently burned into your brain so that you can play for hours straight without even engaging your conscious mind. WTF are you doing with your life?

If you are 25-55, the entertainment industry rotates around you like the moon around the Earth or the Earth around the sun.

It's like that, but only if the moon was throwing rocks at the Earth and taunting it about how it will never know the innocence of childhood again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom