Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You stop enjoying new RPGs around age 30+

best describes you

• im 13 but I play f1. Is something wrong with me?

• <30, old people should stop playing games

• <30, already see less enjoyment with new titles

• >30, only new games i enjoyed are AoD/Underrail

• >30, play only oldies, they are cheaper

• >30, new games are bad/worse, same as movies, and music, and my age is not related

• >30, didnt enjoy DOS/witcher/dork souls

• >30, drive harley, enjoy new titles

Results are only viewable after voting.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, there's also the fact that people are getting dumber (so no, old folks are not just imagining it, young ones actually are more dumb):
https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/millennial-men-are-getting-dumber-by-the-year/

So, if the media targets young ones mostly, it MUST be dumbing shit down, so no wonder the 30+ ones amongst us cannot get into the new shit.

Thankfully, enough indies and inclined people around to keep me busy until I drop.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
If you think you can stop learning or thinking when you get a real job after school, you either don't have a real job or are still in school.

I'm not quite sure of whether you misunderstood me, or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
My point is that many will willingly forgo any kind of education once they're past the last "obligatory" (i.e., what ideally will provide the means of sustenance for the rest of their lives: university) stage, as implied by societary standards.
Now, if what you're aiming at is that a man is pressured to keep himself updated to stay at the top professionally and therefore he should have no chance of letting his guard down ever... well, we might be living in two completely parallel societies, because I rarely see that kind of drive in any professional. Most are just a bunch of mediocre dipshits with a title's worth of whatever knowledge was up to date when they last were young.

I'm well aware it is possible —and commendable!— to both study and work because that's precisely what I do, and don't intend to stop at any point.

School is the easiest, most thought free part of your life. Enjoy it.
I've enjoyed my ages past, am enjoying my current, and am sure will enjoy what's to come, because first and foremost I'm at ease with myself. If you believe your life already peaked so early an age and everything after's bound to go downhill, perhaps you should reconsider how and where you're currently standing at.

I just wanted to point out that any child that is going to school to get a real graduate degree in a real field, and not some bullshit like Social Work or Fine Arts, is going to do the majority of their thinking and learning once they graduate, upon promotions, upon changing employers. It is self evident. The leaders of every field who have the most knowledge and do the most thinking are in their 50s at least. The time when professionals known enough to start writing thinking books or get jobs doing really important shit. Jefferson may have drafted the DoI in his thirties, but he was a great mind until he died, and loved learning until the day he died.

Mediocre people in their 50s were mediocre in their school days. If you don't think or learn now and you are 30+ you were always mediocre, and all you did when you were in school was memorize some shit and regurgitate some other shit actual thinking people 30+ came up with.

But, this is the end of this retard fight from me. You have the right to be as wrong and mediocre as you want, and project that on to anyone you want. But its patently and objectively untrue and proven wrong by just opening your eyes and looking at the people driving everything.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I just wanted to point out that any child that is going to school to get a real graduate degree in a real field, and not some bullshit like Social Work or Fine Arts, is going to do the majority of their thinking and learning once they graduate, upon promotions, upon changing employers. It is self evident. The leaders of every field who have the most knowledge and do the most thinking are in their 50s at least. The time when professionals known enough to start writing thinking books or get jobs doing really important shit. Jefferson may have drafted the DoI in his thirties, but he was a great mind until he died, and loved learning until the day he died.

Mediocre people in their 50s were mediocre in their school days. If you don't think or learn now and you are 30+ you were always mediocre, and all you did when you were in school was memorize some shit and regurgitate some other shit actual thinking people 30+ came up with.

But, this is the end of this retard fight from me. You have the right to be as wrong and mediocre as you want, and project that on to anyone you want. But its patently and objectively untrue and proven wrong by just opening your eyes and looking at the people driving everything.

I have a Masters in Philosophy and I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nostalgia is a bitch, aint it?

I will agree, that most shit seemed to be better back a few decades ago.

There are, however, also newer stuff which I enjoy alot, movies, games, music etc.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
But, don't you see we're agreeing? I do grant that there's people who keep working on perfecting themselves all their lives. They're the ones to be held as examples of excellence, and that's what I aim to be.
What I've been doing since my first post is drawing the correlation between all the other worthless dumbasses that do not, and how their intellectual penury is the cause for their incapability to appreciate new stuff.

This is precisely my point. When young, if ever so slightly, they did exercise their capacity to think or accumulate information because they were forced to. Once that pressure goes away...

Perhaps, as lukaszek pointed, my argument came across as absolutist. I did not intend to point out that responsible hard-working adults don't exist at all, but that they're obviously not the norm (at least not where I live). There's a reason after all why it's just a few that control the many.

All that aside, we're both grown-ass men, so quit the name-calling and behave/reply according to your age.

grimace

Arcane
So bored of all those knock off DnD settings on RPGs, where is my christian eschatology RPG? My prehistory RPG? My urban fantasy RPG? My horror RPG?

Are people still writing these settings and campaigns for pen and paper role playing?

Are writers creating these settings in novels?

Does anyone care about/promote/purchase new IP?

Having seen Star Wars and Lord of the Rings make me a geek. #bazinga!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, actual study was done for music and is not really new as similar findings were circulating since 2015:
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6

but you can see it clearly extrapolating on RPGs just by looking at codex. I bet steam would be available to confirm it.

Now it suddenly makes sense, codexers cant into determinism for they were not exposed to it soon enough. Its not lost though as some of you might have children one day.

You're right. Millennials and their filthy determinism. I was never exposed to it soon enough. Back when I grew up, the universe was totally non-deterministic.

Sometimes I'd wake up, my atoms rearranged during the night and I'd be a yellow Subara Imprezza.

Or one time, I jumped and instead of coming straight back down, I went slightly to the left, then up 200 meters, to the North pole, and then into the attic.

Nowadays it's just so bland. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, if i eat i feel full, if I run I get tired. Banal, shit, boring. Definitely wasn't exposed to it aoon enough.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I listen to newer music like Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift. They are fine but I don't think I'll love that music as much as I love Smashing Pumpkins or REM.

OTOH I love classics now that I didn't care for in my 20's, like Johnny Cash, Otis Redding and Leonard Cohen.

In fact, there are a lot of songs I didn't appreciate when I was younger that I do now. Not great songs but pretty songs, especially some country songs. They don't all have to be mindblowing like Joan Baez.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Not triggering at all. I listen what i like and play what i like. Currently Alexander Brandon and Wizardry7.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
All that aside, we're both grown-ass men, so quit the name-calling and behave/reply according to your age.

You're right and I apologize.

Also, in case my earlier reply made it seem like I think I am some great thinker of our time - I don't. Clearly. Or else I would be doing great mind things instead of constantly pining away on an rpg game site that I have nothing to play.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't know about music, but I'm pretty sure with RPGs it's simply a matter of finally becoming a fully realized person and being expected to have a family or kids by 30+. At that point putting aside the time investment required for RPGs, genre that generally has longer play time, has to become a conscious effort alongside other things that are obviously socially seen as more important. If you ask your average people I'm pretty sure latter will win over video games in terms of what gets axed, how your interests will change to spend time with your family, work hours, etc.

Then again who really knows how this will change in the future? We in our 30s or so were the transitional generation in terms of all this crazy tech becoming commonplace while still fast enough on the uptake to incorporate it into our daily lives.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think the problem is that to invent something new, you need to have talent, it is easier to buy an IP and milk it by turning it on an online FPS like Bethesda did than trying to make anything new. This is a big problem of not only big companies.
Companies want to make things that sell, and things that aren't trad-fant and post-apocalyptic don't.
If you are 25-55, the entertainment industry rotates around you like the moon around the Earth or the Earth around the sun.

Examples-
Game of Thrones
Battletech computer games
Star Wars movies
Star Trek reboot/ STD
X-File reboot
Rampage movie
Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour
Baldur's Gate 2: EE
Transformers movies
TMNT movies
Pokemon Go/ Pokemon revival

etc...

All so that you can share the crap you loved when you were a kid with your kids.

The mass majority of those things are garbage.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These studies are all such utter, utter , utter bollocks. Even if you collected a pig, a cow, and a horse, and framed their bollocks in order and comparison to human bollocks you still wouldn't do it justice. To misquote George Carlin: even if you took a step back to stand in awe at the bollocks, it still wouldn't do it justice. The reason is simple - I can enjoy playing an RPG-lite action game like Shadows of Mordor, but it will never compare to Planescape Torment. The games industry might get away with me enjoying Shadows of Mordor, and it might be a game created through focus groups, algorithms, and pie charts - but that wont work with a game like PST; because that game was created through sheer talent.

A 90 year old who enjoys reading fantasy would enjoy PST if you taught them how to use a PC. This is all just an excuse to control the market and try to guarantee success through formula. Mainly because talent is such a rare, unpredictable, and un-guaranteeable commodity.

Edit: Had to italic the awe in the George Carlin quote.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
The only "RPG" play that was even possible when I, personally, was still in my 20s, was tabletop games, face to face, with a live dungeon master in charge. The earliest "console" hardware was incapable of hosting any type RPG-anything, the earliest computers for the home were a few more years in my future at the time, so I didn't play a first CRPG until my thirties, and didn't really enjoy them until the SSI Gold Box games started appearing.

I was not the only "mature grown up" playing computer games in the 1980s, either.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Do you start being a faggot around the age of 30, lukaszek ?

Well, most modern rpgs with their sjw popamolisms are p. shit; but always love to give geneforge or shattered lands a try when nothing else to play.
Yeah, most current RPGs are garbage. The avg age of Codexers(?) is coincidence. I think all of us here, regardless of age, still enjoy the classics, as well as a rare modern title.

Bogus topic meant to stir the poop as it were.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And kids nowdays would consider the Codex classics to be steaming pile of garbage. News at 11.

In around a decade or maybe one and a half the classics CRPG as Codex knew it is probably gone from the market permanently.

The definition of classic will change. It will be the Golden Age of Dragon Age and Mass Effect the kids will be talking in the future.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And kids nowdays would consider the Codex classics to be steaming pile of garbage. News at 11.

In around a decade or maybe one and a half the classics CRPG as Codex knew it is probably gone from the market permanently.

The definition of classic will change. It will be the Golden Age of Dragon Age and Mass Effect the kids will be talking in the future.
Even kids nowadays consider Fallout a goddamn masterpiece.

Except that one retard that keeps making troll threads about how "" Fallout"" 3 is good.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Most of the inaccessibility of gold bx games fell to UI issues, concepts like drawing your own maps and difficulty in running DOSbox etc. Issues that don't really exist with games like BG or Fallout.

There may be more problems as windows keeps updating though.

deama

Prophet
Wasn't there some sort of old guy in his 70s playing titan quest that recently passed away? He left a review on steam with a bunch of hours clocked in and said that he had a blast playing it.

Machocruz

Arcane
Pushing 40 yet I'm addicted to novelty. Always looking for something new, which is why I rarely play sequels. I have antipathy towards anything marketed as "inspired by ____". I get tired of older songs I've heard before and then I can't stand them, with few exceptions. They start sounding like dusty relics to me.

The problem with new games is that they are old, but lacking the depth, features, attention to detail of similar games that came before them. So why bother? There isn't lack of other things I could be doing with my time than playing dumber, less interesting versions of what I've already played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom