Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The internal objects are a bit weird. Why have some stuff that breaks when you brush past it, and some stuff like barrels that look 90% the same, contain stuff and need to be bashed with the A button? When I ran into a house in the intro and pumpkins pieces flew everywhere for no discernible reason, I was reminded of Oblivion tbh.

Don't even know why there's any breakables (not containers) at all tbh, they've served no gameplay purpose so far although I'm only about 5 hours in.

Turned the music down a few notches and it's much less annoying. The first 5 hours have flown by, very enjoyable so far. I like you can automate the combat if you are fighting easy mobs, a combat speed setting would be nice though. Could do with it a little bit faster.

Viata

Arcane
VA is great, much better than anything in any recent western game.
Can you turn VA off? If yes and you did not, you are playing this game wrong. There is a reason JP version has no VA, because this game should not have VA. In fact, JRPG should be played without VA, it is always horrible.

Curratum

Is there any way to disable the Gallop / Dismount button prompts at the bottom of the screen while on horseback? Muh screenshots... :(

Reinhardt

Arcane
Trying to limit myself to ~3 hours plyatime so it will last until Labyrinth of Refrain release.
Dead season ended and it ended with a bang.:incline:

polo

Magister
I restarted with super strong monsters, just did the tutorial and i can already tell this will be much more balanced and fun than pressing x to win mode.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I've died a few times with super strong monsters. Good fun.
Make sure to give your people abilities ASAP. The GS users first ability (parry?) will even parry spells.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought this game would be medium/normal difficulty with Draconian Quest on but jeez the difficulty of this game just ramps the fuck up by the time you get to the 2nd boss.

Curratum

I thought this game would be medium/normal difficulty with Draconian Quest on but jeez the difficulty of this game just ramps the fuck up by the time you get to the 2nd boss.

Woah, sounds like it's normal mode, no modifiers for me then!

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You can turn them off at the save point if they become too much for you to handle, but you can only activate them at the start of the game. Might as well turn them on and see how it goes.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Seen more than enough posts on other boards from people wishing they'd gone 'Very Strong Monsters' to know this is not a good idea.

So far it's been a very good challenge without being frustrating. I've just had what I thought was an unwinnable fight that I very nearly edged with good use of items. Now I've gone back to a camp, crafted a few new items to +3 and if I time it right with 'Pep' I know I can do it.

As Hobo Elf says, you can always turn it off later, but you can't turn it on 20 hours in when you realise you're facerolling everything and these flashy new skills and weapons are just fluff.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still in the first city. Had like 200 gold. Found 100 gold in a treasure.
9YER.gif

Curratum

I'm just in for a more relaxed experience and I'm not the best turn-based tactician anyway, so I dunno...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just in for a more relaxed experience and I'm not the best turn-based tactician anyway, so I dunno...
I too, am in for a relaxing experience, but I find stronger enemies to be fun. You actually have to use items and skills.

Dedup

Augur
Sounds like I'm going to restart with the stronger monsters. I was only using the no shopping option since I prefer finding my equipment. I'm only a few hours in so nothing much will be lost.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I feel like a happy 10 year old boy while playing this. My brother’s over at my place and without knowing it, I was apparently humming the music and grinning like a moron. I’m in love.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It just clicked for me. Perfect combination of parts. Twice in a month. First Yakuza, now Dragon Quest and i'm feeling strangely optimistic right now about state of gaming.

Suicidal

Arcane
I watched a stream of this game today and it looks pretty fun. Can anyone tell me how's the exploration aspect cause that's the only part I wasn't able to evaluate - are there any optional areas/bosses, hidden artifacts and other stuff you can find by exploring?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
-Even though I knew the movement in battle didn't do anything, I still can't believe moving in battle doesn't do anything. It's really strange. I just don't see why they would put that in if it's pointless.

-The skill system is a tweaked version of DQ8's. Eh.

Everyone liked the class changing system from DQ 6/7, and the system in DQ9 was a good mix between class changing and 8's skill system. But 8's skill system is kinda crummy. Tying skill points strictly to levels limits customization and isn't fun. Even something like FF15's AP system was better, even if in the long run it would take hours of grinding to get all the skills, the fact that there's no hard cap makes it more engaging. They should have awarded skill points for quests, challenges, and exploration or other milestones. It's not like it's overpowered if all you're getting are mutually exclusive weapon styles. Ah well.

-If you're going to show the intro a few hours in after the prologue, don't show the intro on game load. Do a cold open. Ruins the effect.

-First DQ game with actual dual-wielding; can Erik dual-wield boomerangs? Seems like a good combo.

-City exploration has been pretty fun so far, typical DQ game with lots of hidden goodies to find, with better map design.

-World exploration has been more lame. Maps are smaller and feel more constricted than in the past. DQ8 was probably too vast for it's own good but it's a little sad that after 10 years and multiple consoles the world has shrunk.

-You can run away from every enemy at your normal speed, even without sprinting. Makes every battle essentially optional. I've had to go out of my way to get into fights.

So far so Dragon Quest.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
-Even though I knew the movement in battle didn't do anything, I still can't believe moving in battle doesn't do anything. It's really strange. I just don't see why they would put that in if it's pointless.

It's not *quite* pointless. If you decide the battle isn't going in your favour you can move to the edge of the white circle and it gives you the option to try and flee. I've only tried twice and it failed both times, so not really a reliable choice. Still bizarre they went to all the trouble to code it in when a menu option would have done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom