Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

daveyd

Savant
We plan to start the early access end of 2019 and the release in early 2020.

If we don't reach our (moderate) goal on KS, we need to accept that the audience for such a game is even smaller than we already expected (~ 3000 backer). Which means, that this kind of product doesn't even generate the revenues to sustain a small indie team of 5-8 people.

3000 backers means Kickstarter goal of 150000 or so?

Probably less than that. Vast majority of backers just go for the digital copy tier. So let's assume that will be about $20 but they can count on a few higher level backers to bring up the average. I'd guess somewhere between $75K to $100K at most.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If Black Gaysir could amass 3,467 backers then Realms Beyond should have at least 10x that and probably will have in my estimate around 5000-7000 backers, perhaps and I hope more, all depending on various factors including amount of backer awards that include cup of coffe & bottle of red wine* with that lovely frau they had as their booth babe and I'm sure devs' DA queen, mmm ya!

*Coffe and wine not provided by Ceres Gamest Inc, only sweet frau. Limited offer, for limited frau's time. Limited amount of frau in stock

ArchAngel

Arcane
If Black Gaysir could amass 3,467 backers then Realms Beyond should have at least 10x that and probably will have in my estimate around 5000-7000 backers, perhaps and I hope more, all depending on various factors including amount of backer awards that include cup of coffe & bottle of red wine* with that lovely frau they had as their booth babe and I'm sure devs' DA queen, mmm ya!

*Coffe and wine not provided by Ceres Gamest Inc, only sweet frau. Limited offer, for limited frau's time. Limited amount of frau in stock
Game that promotes itself with Baldur's Gate vs one that uses ToEE and Ultima 7.. I wonder which one brings more backers... :P

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Another post by HobGoblin42 at Watch:

Originally Posted by daveyd
Multi-classing / prestige classes In regard of those two components, everything is still under consideration. Right now, we primarily want to complete the base classes with all their spells/feats/actions and those are implemented in accordance to the SRD 3.5e (with some adaptions since we're using a hexagonal grid).

Regarding the latest "controversy" about the Armor Class: D&D3.5e only applies AC for the torso armor and the shield. With our approach, we take the AC of the Full plate (+8) for example and distribute it on the different armor parts:

RB_ArmorClass.jpg

Why? Because someone wearing a full helmet, gauntlets and solid boots should get more protection. Our game is using the OGL and is not an official licensed D&D product, so, we're free to change details.

Game that promotes itself with Baldur's Gate vs one that uses ToEE and Ultima 7.. I wonder which one brings more backers... :P

They can mention (and already have) much more, much wider known and much more popular IPs then just those 2, first one that comes to my mind and is also in foundation of all fantasy RPGs would be DnD.

Also how can this collection of Cuman codepillagers and few mercenary RPG hobbits (looks like my starting party in Battle Brothers and we all know with whom you fill your ranks in the beginning)...

7ad35d70ccf5c130b7ecc4224c6301cf_original.png

....stand a chance against her highness DA Frau and her royal guard? And drummer of doom...

ymierskjold.jpg

Jarl alone could destroy them with single carefully placed fireball. Realms Beyond's Kickstarter with Frau and dream RPG dev stretch goal team on their side will be a HUGE success, mark my words and mark their Kickstarter starting date in your calendar!:positive:

daveyd

Savant
Even though Guido isn't officially attached to this project anymore, I'm hoping that he may do a shoutout update on the Deathfire KS (3,815 backers) and Thorvalla Kickstarter (1388 backers). We can also hope for shoutouts from Obsidian (Sawyer is already aware of / interested in the game) , inXile, Larian, and other developers with successful CRPG crowdfunding projects.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why does dramatic changes to 3.5 not worry you?
I'm not really well-versed with these rules. I just learn all the bits about the barbarian classes as applicable and work with the rest on the fly. That said, this rule in particular does not bother me too much.
Do you have a list of games that went wild with the source rules that are staples of your rpg library.
I don't really. The IE games aren't a staple in my library, and most of the games I have/had don't seem to follow any ruleset 100% faithfully, ToEE excepted.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Gosh this game is looking and sounded better and better is there going to be a Codex drive for the kickstart like other games because it should right? Reading information gave me a feeling of Ultima all over again with its interactive world and exploring and how everything could be interacted with or used. :salute: They won best booth too and that says a lot about their focus on details but why, Why, WHY??? is this information on some other site okay? :argh: Look even this HobGoblin42 is here so why no post updates where people come for real information okay? It is always place to be for influential games like Ultima, Pillars and Baldur's Gate and if you want to reach a large audience then you post here okay? Okay!
heart.png
You want Kickstart to be successful so here is to that happening!!!
xBh1PWa.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I'm not really well-versed with these rules. I just learn all the bits about the barbarian classes as applicable and work with the rest on the fly. That said, this rule in particular does not bother me too much.
Since we view and approach games differently, and enjoy different aspects of them, would you agree it makes sense I would worry about things you would not, and vice versa? It seems like you like barbarians, a class I could do without. If they removed barbarians, or their "reimagining" of barbarian was having barbarians function like a pretty princess who used a magic scepter and replaced their rage ability with a whine ability, would you be okay with that? Would it be silly for me to tell you not to worry since I don't care about the class you care about?

I don't really. The IE games aren't a staple in my library, and most of the games I have/had don't seem to follow any ruleset 100% faithfully, ToEE excepted.

I wanted this game to be the next evolution of ToEE. Until the information about multiclassing and other "reimagining" came out I thought it was going to be a faithful adaptation of 3.5, like ToEE, and one of the main reasons I fucking love ToEE. Can you at least understand why I am disappointed because the main reason I liked the game is not true and is getting less and less true with the more information that comes out? Can you really say I am being unreasonable?

Why was Demon's Age not well received? For me, not having chargen ruined it for me. Is me wanting to create my own characters nonsense and nothing to worry about? I view it as a core function to what I am looking for in a D&D game. So far, this game hasn't done anything to make me rather not have it. I want it to be funded and made. I have real worries about their decision making. Saying I shouldn't because you don't isn't a good reason for me not to.

Is this forum not an appropriate place for me to voice my concerns? Are my concerns not based on actual factual information stated by the game developers?

EDIT - I will say I am open to letting a game change my mind. I did not have any faith inXile would make a real crpg and thought WL2 would be utter trash for rpg-lite loving retards. I played it and loved it and it became one of my top 10 games, maybe top 5 after the DC. So I'm not against changing my tune and saying I'm wrong when I'm wrong. Hell, I really, really hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Was it too long or just long enough? I'm going with just long enough.

Sherry

Arcane
Finally! https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/realms-beyond-preview-455.html

New info for me:

Adding to the believable world they are trying to create, is the day/night cycle and that the NPCs have schedules. When you enter a city at night, people will be in their homes and their shops are closed. Unfortunately this is not implemented yet, so it could not be shown, but it is something that will be implemented in a later version.

With all the stuff lying around you might think about stealing it, but if someone notices you doing that you might get into trouble. First you get into trouble with only the NPC. When words get around you could get into trouble with the other people in the village and after that perhaps in the kingdom and even in the whole game world. If you are not noticed, but word does get around that there is a thief, the town guards might want to see your equipment to search for stolen goods. Any stolen items you might have are tagged as stolen and those tags can only be removed by finding a merchant who is willing to deal in stolen goods.

Each hex on the map is about 2 miles and the complete world is 2.000 square miles, which means there are a million hexes in total.

Your party will not only need to rest, but needs to eat and drink as well. This is achieved by setting up a camp. If you have food like onions, potatoes and carrots in your inventory and have the tools needed for cooking, like a pan, someone in your party with a cooking skill can prepare a meal for the party. The ingredients of the meal are removed automatically from your inventory and the cooking is automated well, as long as everything is in place for this. The result of the cooking exercise is shown as text on the screen, like "Waldo created a delicious meal for the party" and a bonus is awarded to the party for having the meal. Obviously, in order to cook, you need wood for making a fire. Wood will be collected automatically when you are near a forest, but if you camp in a barren area, you should be prepared and carry a supply of wood with you in order to be able to cook.

Actually, your actions, both inside and outside of quests, can have consequences in the world. If you would destroy a goblin camp somewhere and kill all the goblins, it might be that after some time, humans will claim that spot, because the goblins are no longer there. You can make entire regions safer for humans in this way, but you can also choose not to.

Realms Beyond
will support alignment, but their their implementation of alignment is different from the D&D version, as they wanted something more intricate. They plan to use a diagram where different character traits are available and each character will align more or less with each of these traits. Like, being greedy, lazy, sneaky, open-minded, etc. As it is still in development, this could not be shown.

The game will support a faction system on different levels. One town is a faction, one kingdom is a faction and then there are global factions, such as a merchant gild, or factions based on a race or religion. You can align yourself with factions, but some factions are opposite to each other, so befriending one faction, could mean you become an enemy of another faction. You can for example, align with the orcs, but in order to do that you have to kill humans, who will not think kindly of you because of that. If you make a character angry, because of your actions or conversations, it will spread out to the faction that character belongs to, like the village or camp.

The plan is to release the game at the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020 and will be released in parts, meaning that only a part of the map will be available at that time. A total of 3 parts are planned. The second and third part will be much lower priced than the first part and will come in the form of expansions to that first part. They are doing this, because they will need the time to create the content for all the parts and in this way the game can already be made available for a large part. The mod tools will be released with the first part, so people can already start creating mods for the game.

Realms Beyond is a classic party based open-world RPG (with no level scaling) inspired by, amongst others, the old Gold Box games and Ultima 7. At the start of the game, you get to create your first character, using the classic classes: Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue and Wizard, from seven possible races: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling and Human. Realms Beyond is based on the D&D 3.5 System Reference Document that cannot be found on the Wizards of the Coast website anymore, but by googling it, you can still find the document, if you are interested in those details.
In the game, you will meet other characters that can join your party. At that point, you can decide to use that character or create another character from scratch. This means that you can end up with a party that is completely created by you. There can be a total of six characters in your party.
Realms Beyond uses the assets of Chaos Chronicles, which they managed to acquire after the bankruptcy of BitComposer. The engine that is used in Realms Beyond is based on the same engine as the one used in the Spellforce games and Chaos Chronicles.

You start in the world of Realms Beyond, where some 50 years ago a global disaster happened, called the cataclysm. Simultaneously everywhere in the world, volcanos erupted. Some areas were destroyed immediately and now lie in ruins. Nobody actually knows what really happened. Since then the world is somewhat in chaos and every culture and nation have created their own explanation about the cataclysm. Some think there is a religious reason, some think it is a demon, some a wizard, but nobody really knows.
It is your task to travel the entire world and collect the necessary information from the various nations and cultures, by means of completing quests and finding hints to solve the mystery. For this, you have to deal with the sensitivities of those different cultures and deal with a new cult, named the cult of the Inner Flame. A religious cult of which the popularity is rising in the world.

All items in the game are in-game items and they can all be interacted with. For the hoarders amongst you that means, if you are not careful, you might end up with a lot of junk, but if you want to do that, you can. The items add a lot of detail to the world, just as it did in Ultima 7, which was named a few times during the presentation. Most of the items have however no relevance to the gameplay, but might be relevant to the NPCs. A baker needs items for baking, a blacksmith needs items for smithing, etc. These items are not useful to you as a player, but they are to them. In this way, they want to make the world more believable. Sometimes an item or object can be inspected further. In those situations the mouse cursor will change to indicate that. Given the amount of items in the world that is probably a good idea.
With all the stuff lying around you might think about stealing it, but if someone notices you doing that you might get into trouble. First you get into trouble with only the NPC. When words get around you could get into trouble with the other people in the village and after that perhaps in the kingdom and even in the whole game world. If you are not noticed, but word does get around that there is a thief, the town guards might want to see your equipment to search for stolen goods. Any stolen items you might have are tagged as stolen and those tags can only be removed by finding a merchant who is willing to deal in stolen goods.

Adding to the believable world they are trying to create, is the day/night cycle and that the NPCs have schedules. When you enter a city at night, people will be in their homes and their shops are closed. Unfortunately this is not implemented yet, so it could not be shown, but it is something that will be implemented in a later version.
When you do enter a house, there will be no loading of a new scene, instead the roofs of the houses simply disappear, so that you can see inside the house.

On the world map you can see your party and its location in the world. When you are not moving, nothing happens, but when you start moving other enemy groups will start moving on the map as well. The map is using a hex grid and you can see a few hexes around your party to detect if there are any enemy groups that you might want to avoid. At night however that distance is greatly reduced as you cannot see as well as you can during day time. The distance you can see depends on your character skills.
Each hex on the map is generated using the actual world contents, so it will resemble the environment in the world as good as possible. Each hex on the map is about 2 miles and the complete world is 2.000 square miles, which means there are a million hexes in total.
The map actually consists of two separate parts integrated into one. One contains the encounters, where events are generated from pre-defined templates. These have no content other than the environment needed for the combat. The second contains the pre-made locations that are identified on the map by the fact that they have a name. Here you find the cities, villages and dungeons. Those locations have content and could consist of multiple levels. The engine supports a total of 200 levels, but they have no plans at the moment to create a mega dungeon of that size. The locations on the map will also show what faction is in control of the location and whether or not it is a friendly faction. In addition, also the travel time to that location is shown.

When you travel the time on the map moves as well. It takes about an hour and a half to walk ten miles, but it all depends on where you are traveling. If you are using the roads, you can travel a lot faster compared to traveling through the forest, so you have to take that into account when you leave the roads. Another way of traveling is by boat, which can be used to travel to one of the islands on the map. Clicking on a location on the map will make you rparty enter that location when they reach it. This happens with almost no loading time, which is quite impressive.

Whenever there is an encounter on the world map, text is shown that not only states there is an encounter, but it will also take the position on the map where you currently are and use that in the text to be displayed, to get to something like this: "An orc raiding party has ambushed you near the coast line during day time". The details of the orc raiding party will also be available in additional text. The displayed text will be different if you are in the forest or in the mountains. By using this in-game data for presenting information to the player, they want to achieve a more engaging experience. The next screenshot will give you an idea of what the map looks like.

The map will have hidden locations that you can only find when you follow a trail. You could for example, get a message that a corpse is found near the side of the road, with tracks leading away from that corpse. By investigating the matter, you could then get the question if you would like to follow the tracks into the forest. If so, you follow them and a new location will pop up, like a witch cabin, or something like that. This cabin would not be visible by just walking around on the world map.
There will be hidden treasures that you can find by collecting pieces of a treasure map that are scattered throughout the region where you are in. These are randomly placed and will be at a different location for everyone. Once you have all parts of the map collected, a treasure location will show up on your map, where you can go, to collect the treasure.

Your party will not only need to rest, but needs to eat and drink as well. This is achieved by setting up a camp. If you have food like onions, potatoes and carrots in your inventory and have the tools needed for cooking, like a pan, someone in your party with a cooking skill can prepare a meal for the party. The ingredients of the meal are removed automatically from your inventory and the cooking is automated well, as long as everything is in place for this. The result of the cooking exercise is shown as text on the screen, like "Waldo created a delicious meal for the party" and a bonus is awarded to the party for having the meal. Obviously, in order to cook, you need wood for making a fire. Wood will be collected automatically when you are near a forest, but if you camp in a barren area, you should be prepared and carry a supply of wood with you in order to be able to cook.

Whenever you have an encounter on the world map, the game switches seamlessly from moving in real-time to turn-based combat. A hex grid is displayed, showing where each of the characters can go. The combat is what you expect from D&D 3.5, so I will forward you to a combat video of the game. It is a lengthy video, but you will get the gist of things after a few minutes.

Realms Beyond - Combat Alpha 1 Gameplay

The developers looked at The Temple of Elemental Evil for inspiration when implementing the combat.

One of the philosophies the developers have in making the game is that they want to restrict the player as little as possible in their exploration activities in the game. The player needs to make his or her own choices and live with the consequences of those choices, but it is needed to have the right skills in order to explore in a proper way. With the right skill you could, for example, detect herbs and harvest them. If you do not have that skill, the characters in your party will not recognize the herbs, which stops you from harvesting them.
With choices and consequences comes a branching quest system, which they use to have your choices have an impact in the world. Actually, your actions, both inside and outside of quests, can have consequences in the world. If you would destroy a goblin camp somewhere and kill all the goblins, it might be that after some time, humans will claim that spot, because the goblins are no longer there. You can make entire regions safer for humans in this way, but you can also choose not to.
And if you are lost, and like to know what quest you are doing now, you should be aware that the game does not have a quest compass or quest markers hovering over people's had or hovering anywhere else for that matter. Any information you need about quests can be read from the journal, which is automatically filled with information as you go along.

There is also a branching dialog system. Conversations can have different outcomes depending on your choices. In addition, some branches in conversations are based on your race, gender, class, or what you have done up to that point. This can also happen with merchants, who might not want to help you because they don't like humans, dwarves or something like that.

NPCs you encounter in a village will be talking to each other and you can listen to their conversations. The text they use can be just random talk, but can also depend on your previous actions. If you would have cleared that goblin camp, you might hear them talk about a group of heroes who finally killed the goblins. This again, is meant to make the world more real.

Realms Beyond will support alignment, but their their implementation of alignment is different from the D&D version, as they wanted something more intricate. They plan to use a diagram where different character traits are available and each character will align more or less with each of these traits. Like, being greedy, lazy, sneaky, open-minded, etc. As it is still in development, this could not be shown.
How this works in the game is that if you have a greedy character and you let that character barter with a merchant, it will probably not be a success, as the greedy character will not part from money or items easily and it is very unlikely that they will come to an agreement. So perhaps a greedy person is not the best person to barter with a merchant.

Also the armor class is a bit different from D&D. In D&D you only have armor for the torso. They have changed this and distributed the armor class from D&D over different armor parts for the helmet, body, gloves and boots. If they are all of the same type then together they would give the same armor class as the armor in D&D would.

The game will support a faction system on different levels. One town is a faction, one kingdom is a faction and then there are global factions, such as a merchant gild, or factions based on a race or religion. You can align yourself with factions, but some factions are opposite to each other, so befriending one faction, could mean you become an enemy of another faction. You can for example, align with the orcs, but in order to do that you have to kill humans, who will not think kindly of you because of that. If you make a character angry, because of your actions or conversations, it will spread out to the faction that character belongs to, like the village or camp.

Quite some time has been spent on creating the tools needed to create the game. The developers have done that early in development, to make the creation of the content in the game faster. For the modders, it is good to know that these tools are made available when the game launches, so people can create their own mods, or as almost everything in the game is scripted, the game itself can be changed.

The game is currently in pre-alpha, but was shown to me in the presentation that laster more than an hour, it is clear that they have a lot available. There are already loads of spells, items, weapons and armor available. Large sections of the world were available, but lacking content. The game engine and graphics are close to completion as are most of the assets.
What they are really missing at the moment is content in the form of dialogs, quests and other pieces of text. This is also one of the reasons that they are going to Kickstarter to get sufficient funds to be able to hire extra people who can work on the creation of the content. The second reason is that they want to learn how many people are actually interested in a hard-core RPG like Realms Beyond.

The plan is to release the game at the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020 and will be released in parts, meaning that only a part of the map will be available at that time. A total of 3 parts are planned. The second and third part will be much lower priced than the first part and will come in the form of expansions to that first part. They are doing this, because they will need the time to create the content for all the parts and in this way the game can already be made available for a large part. The mod tools will be released with the first part, so people can already start creating mods for the game.

I was impressed with what I was shown and look forward to seeing more. I don't know how big the market is for a classic RPG like this, but I hope it is big enough to realize all parts of the game and make it a success, as what I got to see looked very promising.

Your post is way too long bro.

Hi!

omg! wtf! rly? one-liner quoting a whole post of information?

Gosh! No wonder people put you on their ignore list!

Thanks,
Sherry

Finally! https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/realms-beyond-preview-455.html

New info for me:

Each hex on the map is about 2 miles and the complete world is 2.000 square miles, which means there are a million hexes in total.

Actually, your actions, both inside and outside of quests, can have consequences in the world. If you would destroy a goblin camp somewhere and kill all the goblins, it might be that after some time, humans will claim that spot, because the goblins are no longer there. You can make entire regions safer for humans in this way, but you can also choose not to.

Realms Beyond
will support alignment, but their their implementation of alignment is different from the D&D version, as they wanted something more intricate. They plan to use a diagram where different character traits are available and each character will align more or less with each of these traits. Like, being greedy, lazy, sneaky, open-minded, etc. As it is still in development, this could not be shown.

Realms Beyond is a classic party based open-world RPG (with no level scaling) inspired by, amongst others, the old Gold Box games and Ultima 7. At the start of the game, you get to create your first character, using the classic classes: Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue and Wizard, from seven possible races: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling and Human. Realms Beyond is based on the D&D 3.5 System Reference Document that cannot be found on the Wizards of the Coast website anymore, but by googling it, you can still find the document, if you are interested in those details.
In the game, you will meet other characters that can join your party. At that point, you can decide to use that character or create another character from scratch. This means that you can end up with a party that is completely created by you. There can be a total of six characters in your party.
Realms Beyond uses the assets of Chaos Chronicles, which they managed to acquire after the bankruptcy of BitComposer. The engine that is used in Realms Beyond is based on the same engine as the one used in the Spellforce games and Chaos Chronicles.

You start in the world of Realms Beyond, where some 50 years ago a global disaster happened, called the cataclysm. Simultaneously everywhere in the world, volcanos erupted. Some areas were destroyed immediately and now lie in ruins. Nobody actually knows what really happened. Since then the world is somewhat in chaos and every culture and nation have created their own explanation about the cataclysm. Some think there is a religious reason, some think it is a demon, some a wizard, but nobody really knows.
It is your task to travel the entire world and collect the necessary information from the various nations and cultures, by means of completing quests and finding hints to solve the mystery. For this, you have to deal with the sensitivities of those different cultures and deal with a new cult, named the cult of the Inner Flame. A religious cult of which the popularity is rising in the world.

All items in the game are in-game items and they can all be interacted with. For the hoarders amongst you that means, if you are not careful, you might end up with a lot of junk, but if you want to do that, you can. The items add a lot of detail to the world, just as it did in Ultima 7, which was named a few times during the presentation. Most of the items have however no relevance to the gameplay, but might be relevant to the NPCs. A baker needs items for baking, a blacksmith needs items for smithing, etc. These items are not useful to you as a player, but they are to them. In this way, they want to make the world more believable. Sometimes an item or object can be inspected further. In those situations the mouse cursor will change to indicate that. Given the amount of items in the world that is probably a good idea.

When you do enter a house, there will be no loading of a new scene, instead the roofs of the houses simply disappear, so that you can see inside the house.

On the world map you can see your party and its location in the world. When you are not moving, nothing happens, but when you start moving other enemy groups will start moving on the map as well. The map is using a hex grid and you can see a few hexes around your party to detect if there are any enemy groups that you might want to avoid. At night however that distance is greatly reduced as you cannot see as well as you can during day time. The distance you can see depends on your character skills.
Each hex on the map is generated using the actual world contents, so it will resemble the environment in the world as good as possible. Each hex on the map is about 2 miles and the complete world is 2.000 square miles, which means there are a million hexes in total.
The map actually consists of two separate parts integrated into one. One contains the encounters, where events are generated from pre-defined templates. These have no content other than the environment needed for the combat. The second contains the pre-made locations that are identified on the map by the fact that they have a name. Here you find the cities, villages and dungeons. Those locations have content and could consist of multiple levels. The engine supports a total of 200 levels, but they have no plans at the moment to create a mega dungeon of that size. The locations on the map will also show what faction is in control of the location and whether or not it is a friendly faction. In addition, also the travel time to that location is shown.

When you travel the time on the map moves as well. It takes about an hour and a half to walk ten miles, but it all depends on where you are traveling. If you are using the roads, you can travel a lot faster compared to traveling through the forest, so you have to take that into account when you leave the roads. Another way of traveling is by boat, which can be used to travel to one of the islands on the map. Clicking on a location on the map will make you rparty enter that location when they reach it. This happens with almost no loading time, which is quite impressive.

Whenever there is an encounter on the world map, text is shown that not only states there is an encounter, but it will also take the position on the map where you currently are and use that in the text to be displayed, to get to something like this: "An orc raiding party has ambushed you near the coast line during day time". The details of the orc raiding party will also be available in additional text. The displayed text will be different if you are in the forest or in the mountains. By using this in-game data for presenting information to the player, they want to achieve a more engaging experience. The next screenshot will give you an idea of what the map looks like.

The map will have hidden locations that you can only find when you follow a trail. You could for example, get a message that a corpse is found near the side of the road, with tracks leading away from that corpse. By investigating the matter, you could then get the question if you would like to follow the tracks into the forest. If so, you follow them and a new location will pop up, like a witch cabin, or something like that. This cabin would not be visible by just walking around on the world map.
There will be hidden treasures that you can find by collecting pieces of a treasure map that are scattered throughout the region where you are in. These are randomly placed and will be at a different location for everyone. Once you have all parts of the map collected, a treasure location will show up on your map, where you can go, to collect the treasure.

Whenever you have an encounter on the world map, the game switches seamlessly from moving in real-time to turn-based combat. A hex grid is displayed, showing where each of the characters can go. The combat is what you expect from D&D 3.5, so I will forward you to a combat video of the game. It is a lengthy video, but you will get the gist of things after a few minutes.

Realms Beyond - Combat Alpha 1 Gameplay

The developers looked at The Temple of Elemental Evil for inspiration when implementing the combat.

One of the philosophies the developers have in making the game is that they want to restrict the player as little as possible in their exploration activities in the game. The player needs to make his or her own choices and live with the consequences of those choices, but it is needed to have the right skills in order to explore in a proper way. With the right skill you could, for example, detect herbs and harvest them. If you do not have that skill, the characters in your party will not recognize the herbs, which stops you from harvesting them.
With choices and consequences comes a branching quest system, which they use to have your choices have an impact in the world. Actually, your actions, both inside and outside of quests, can have consequences in the world. If you would destroy a goblin camp somewhere and kill all the goblins, it might be that after some time, humans will claim that spot, because the goblins are no longer there. You can make entire regions safer for humans in this way, but you can also choose not to.
And if you are lost, and like to know what quest you are doing now, you should be aware that the game does not have a quest compass or quest markers hovering over people's had or hovering anywhere else for that matter. Any information you need about quests can be read from the journal, which is automatically filled with information as you go along.

There is also a branching dialog system. Conversations can have different outcomes depending on your choices. In addition, some branches in conversations are based on your race, gender, class, or what you have done up to that point. This can also happen with merchants, who might not want to help you because they don't like humans, dwarves or something like that.

NPCs you encounter in a village will be talking to each other and you can listen to their conversations. The text they use can be just random talk, but can also depend on your previous actions. If you would have cleared that goblin camp, you might hear them talk about a group of heroes who finally killed the goblins. This again, is meant to make the world more real.

Realms Beyond will support alignment, but their their implementation of alignment is different from the D&D version, as they wanted something more intricate. They plan to use a diagram where different character traits are available and each character will align more or less with each of these traits. Like, being greedy, lazy, sneaky, open-minded, etc. As it is still in development, this could not be shown.
How this works in the game is that if you have a greedy character and you let that character barter with a merchant, it will probably not be a success, as the greedy character will not part from money or items easily and it is very unlikely that they will come to an agreement. So perhaps a greedy person is not the best person to barter with a merchant.

Also the armor class is a bit different from D&D. In D&D you only have armor for the torso. They have changed this and distributed the armor class from D&D over different armor parts for the helmet, body, gloves and boots. If they are all of the same type then together they would give the same armor class as the armor in D&D would.

Quite some time has been spent on creating the tools needed to create the game. The developers have done that early in development, to make the creation of the content in the game faster. For the modders, it is good to know that these tools are made available when the game launches, so people can create their own mods, or as almost everything in the game is scripted, the game itself can be changed.

The game is currently in pre-alpha, but was shown to me in the presentation that laster more than an hour, it is clear that they have a lot available. There are already loads of spells, items, weapons and armor available. Large sections of the world were available, but lacking content. The game engine and graphics are close to completion as are most of the assets.
What they are really missing at the moment is content in the form of dialogs, quests and other pieces of text. This is also one of the reasons that they are going to Kickstarter to get sufficient funds to be able to hire extra people who can work on the creation of the content. The second reason is that they want to learn how many people are actually interested in a hard-core RPG like Realms Beyond.

I was impressed with what I was shown and look forward to seeing more. I don't know how big the market is for a classic RPG like this, but I hope it is big enough to realize all parts of the game and make it a success, as what I got to see looked very promising.

Your post is way too long bro.

Hi!

omg! wtf! rly? one-liner quoting a whole post of information?

Gosh! No wonder people put you on their ignore list!

Thanks,
Sherry

Now you facade just felt down. You have to be more cautious, my little hamster.

imweasel

Any stolen items you might have are tagged as stolen and those tags can only be removed by finding a merchant who is willing to deal in stolen goods.
So buying corpse-looted items is business as usual, but only crooks will buy stolen goods. The morality system in the game is indeed intricate.
Well, this is how it was done in Skyrim and everybody knows that Skyrim is the best game ever made.

:hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Last edited by a moderator:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
About world map exploration, quoting HobGoblin42:

We don't have any dynamic encounter or level adjustments to the player party. There are dangerous regions with high level encounter and you should avoid those until your party is strong enough. The world itself is being simulated by its own, it's not just a theatrical stage placed around the player. You can even notice AI controlled factions fighting each other on the world map.

The most roaming monster parties belong to a lair or camp nearby. You need to destroy their home base (which is usually much more challenging than the encounter) to prevent further spawnings of that group.

Then, there will be allied/friendly groups moving over the world map to defend their homeland or to attack their foes. You can decide to support them which will lead to persistent changes to the world, e.g. an Orcish camp turns into a human settlements (or vice versa).

You can also meet neutral wayfarers such as merchants or traveling musicians.

And finally, other competing parties will explore and travel the map as well. Those parties are not always hostile by default and sometimes, they carry quest items or parts of maps with them. Beside engaging them in combat, you can also try to trade or bargain with them.
link to the thread:
https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=124.0

Aemar

Arcane
....stand a chance against her highness DA Frau and her royal guard? And drummer of doom...

ymierskjold.jpg

Jarl alone could destroy them with single carefully placed fireball. Realms Beyond's Kickstarter with Frau and dream RPG dev stretch goal team on their side will be a HUGE success, mark my words and mark their Kickstarter starting date in your calendar!:positive:
Three people from this pic look like they were borrowed from the Bannerlord stand, and the short/fat dude surely isn't one of them.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About world map exploration, quoting HobGoblin42:

We don't have any dynamic encounter or level adjustments to the player party. There are dangerous regions with high level encounter and you should avoid those until your party is strong enough. The world itself is being simulated by its own, it's not just a theatrical stage placed around the player. You can even notice AI controlled factions fighting each other on the world map.

The most roaming monster parties belong to a lair or camp nearby. You need to destroy their home base (which is usually much more challenging than the encounter) to prevent further spawnings of that group.

Then, there will be allied/friendly groups moving over the world map to defend their homeland or to attack their foes. You can decide to support them which will lead to persistent changes to the world, e.g. an Orcish camp turns into a human settlements (or vice versa).

You can also meet neutral wayfarers such as merchants or traveling musicians.

And finally, other competing parties will explore and travel the map as well. Those parties are not always hostile by default and sometimes, they carry quest items or parts of maps with them. Beside engaging them in combat, you can also try to trade or bargain with them.
link to the thread:
https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=124.0

Sounds super cool. Wonder if you can find a party with a JRPG-style chosen one, and then kill 'im :P

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder if mods will be able to strip down the simulationist layers if they want to (for example) just recreate an old module. Actually most of my questions would be on the modding systems. Are you limited to one mod pack at a time (NWN required modules explicitly allow new classes, ToEE and several games not meant for mod support work like this)? Are additions of the same type mutually exclusive without a merge (as NWN2) or could multiple community packs be used together? Can you alter basic game mechanics (like the to hit formula)? Can you block base game content with a mod (total system conversion like the d20 modern mod for NWN is the main reason to do this, but something like replacing the classes with Unearthed Arcana's generic classes also exists)? Can you make certain scripts happen if a player holds a keyboard button (TES modding is infamous for not including this after three games. It's the main reason half the mods that require script extenders require it.)? The races and sexes look like they have vastly different body types, do you need to model a separate version of each item?

Beyond that I'd ask about mounts, carts and magical flight as overland travel is emphasized.

If you have food like onions, potatoes and carrots in your inventory
What the hell is a new world plant doing in a pseudo medieval European based fantasy?

What's wrong with armour now?

This was SCL's interpretation of armor in 3.5 too.
How's that bad actually? If anything it's improvement in that regarad compared to DnD. Saying that SCL (which was shitparade) is in any way simiilar to RB because of it is not far from saying that RB will be shit cause just like in SCL it features the same number of categories in main menu or cause lead programers dated the girl with the same name. Also difference between SCL's and RB's implementation of armor will probably be the same liike between RB's modding tools and SCL 'DM mode'. Liverpool and Crvena Zvezda, day and night apart.

It sounds like a pretty meh change, could work, could be horrible, devil is in the details. Keep in mind that in 3.5 rules, which they otherwise use, a "breastplate" (+5AC, -4 ACP) is a breastplate, helmet and greaves (strangely Pathfinder just made it the plate itself while not touching the weight so it's ridiculously heavy) while full plate (+8 AC, -6 ACP) is that with a better helmet, armored boots, gauntlets and thicker padding, but there's no penalty for wearing a Hat of Disguise instead of the helmet or Sandals of the Light Step instead of the boots and the only penalty for wearing Gloves of Spell Disruption instead of the gauntlets is that you lose the ability to use the gauntlets as simple weapons. If this meant the gauntlets had +1 AC, -1 ACP, the better (but more clumbersome) helmet had 1 AC higher but an extra penalty to ACP and the boots were just an extra piece of AC for weight (and possibly pushing you into a higher armor class) the math works out mostly. Edit: A screenshot shows pieces can add fractional AC values, which makes figuring out the differences a bit easier.

The real question is how that works with magic armor and what, exactly, pushes you between armor weights. It couldn't be raw weight if they used the d20 weights, chainmail (medium) weighs more than branded (heavy) while chain shirt (light) weighs as much as hide (medium). If magic enhancement doesn't stack (like most bonuses in d20) you're right back where you started with added complexity and punishes magic items and the only gains, being able to wear less armor for more mobility but less speed and slightly more early game variety, is minimal. If they do stack AC grows much quicker than d20 intended.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom