Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You stop enjoying new RPGs around age 30+

best describes you

• im 13 but I play f1. Is something wrong with me?

• <30, old people should stop playing games

• <30, already see less enjoyment with new titles

• >30, only new games i enjoyed are AoD/Underrail

• >30, play only oldies, they are cheaper

• >30, new games are bad/worse, same as movies, and music, and my age is not related

• >30, didnt enjoy DOS/witcher/dork souls

• >30, drive harley, enjoy new titles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Partaking in stories or forging some yourself is not a waste of time. @Shaorma is just retarded and probably a few years away from a mental breakdown. New shit is mostly pure garbage though. I'm 15 by the way. Bite me.

:updatedmytxt:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Partaking in stories or forging some yourself is not a waste of time. @Shaorma is just retarded and probably a few years away from a mental breakdown. New shit is mostly pure garbage though. I'm 15 by the way. Bite me.

I've written a short novel and short stories in my youth and in young age those sort of activities can be healthy for a youths mental development. Stories are essentially thought experiments that help us make sense of the world. However once you reach adulthood, you gradually start to exercise power instead of just imagine having power. Stories in games can entertain adults, but simple illusion of power is not as satisfying for adults who have a better understanding of it's nature.

I've written a short novel and short stories in my youth and in young age those sort of activities can be healthy for a youths mental development. Stories are essentially thought experiments that help us make sense of the world. However once you reach adulthood, you gradually start to exercise power instead of just imagine having power. Stories in games can entertain adults, but simple illusion of power is not as satisfying for adults who have a better understanding of it's nature.

Finally, someone with a career of importance. I have two times for anything trivial. At lunch (right now), or late at night just before I go to sleep. Even then, not always. I haven't been able to fully understand why I enjoy games less now, but you nailed it. It's not merely the guilt of being unproductive, it's that the exercise itself is objectively not as satisfying. I do things that matter now and have people that depend on me personally and professionally. Even when I do have a reasonable amount of free time, it's spent doing something constructive.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games. I'd also like to have more time to play them. It's just, that even when I do, the satisfaction isn't the same even for games that I have a high appreciation for. It's puzzled me for a few years now, but your responses in this thread spoken to it perfectly. Adulation to you Mr. Shaewaroz.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stories in games can entertain adults, but simple illusion of power is not as satisfying for adults who have a better understanding of it's nature.
Yeah. I find that games are still satisfying if they present challenges I can overcome by learning a skill. The feeling that I got better at something (as a player, not just my character) is always nice. Stories and games that are sheer power fantasies do not really interest me any more. I love games where limitations are clear and present and "failing forward" is a solid option. A story/game about making mistakes and learning from them, or even ending disastrously but memorably, still keeps my interest.

I do find that bog-standard RPGs, which used to be my favorite, hold my interest less these days. The thrill there was slowly grinding up numbers, and sometimes unlocking new abilities, but without really learning anything or making substantial decisions. Party building is always rife with decisions of course but even these often boil down to fairly obvious choices. Elf mage because elves are better at magic. One cleric to heal, one thief to pick locks, two fighters to tank and deal melee damage. The more my playthrough looks like some dude's playthrough on Youtube, the less interested I am.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Congratulations, Shaewaroz, you have dazzled an innocent guy with your verbal outages while stating the obvious, that power fantasies lose their power (mad pun skillz) as you grow older.

Either that, or he's your alt. Or he's trolling. Or both of you are.
In either case, I thank you for the entertainment.

I don't get people who continue playing games despite deriving no more enjoyment from them. Find a new hobby, there are thousands of interesting things you could do.
That's like staying in a dysfunctional relationship because it "used to be good".

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Finally, someone with a career of importance. I have two times for anything trivial. At lunch (right now), or late at night just before I go to sleep. Even then, not always. I haven't been able to fully understand why I enjoy games less now, but you nailed it. It's not merely the guilt of being unproductive, it's that the exercise itself is objectively not as satisfying. I do things that matter now and have people that depend on me personally and professionally. Even when I do have a reasonable amount of free time, it's spent doing something constructive.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games. I'd also like to have more time to play them. It's just, that even when I do, the satisfaction isn't the same even for games that I have a high appreciation for. It's puzzled me for a few years now, but your responses in this thread spoken to it perfectly. Adulation to you Mr. Shaewaroz.

If you want to delve deeper into the thought process, here's a pretty fruitful thread:

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15226

It's all straight to the point conversation about the nature of power. Very interesting stuff.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Only losers talk about power all the time similar to how virgins can't stop yapping about pussy. Nietzsche was both. I'm basically a kid and I would be embaressed as hell to post on some internet forum about how much pussy I get from the hoes in my class or what a great score I had on my IQ test. Then this guy comes along and starts sniffing his own farts, talking like he's Mr. Miyagi or some shit. Jesus H Christ! Not even Roqua or Planetar are this deluded...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I guess I can see the connection between music and RPGs here.

The period of your life that you begin to let the influence of your choice of music really sink in is, of course, your teenage years. All that metal rotted your brain, true, but it also formed a lot of the framework that makes up your personality and how you view the world. Those roots work their way deeply in, and it would take some sort of epiphany later on in life (such as attending a symphony and eschewing all rock and pop music in favor of classical) to supplant them.

With RPGs, the "good" ones (which are incredibly rare post-2000 IMO) are not being fundamentally reinvented. The only things that are really changing about them are their production costs, their level of flash and superficial appeal, but their goal is still (or should be, at least) the same: to re-create the feeling of sitting around a table playing pen-and-paper D&D. This is similar to some music in that it's incredibly difficult to create that same dynamic "hook" that got you with the songs you listened to when you were young, but new artists are always trying. It's just that they're generally doing so to a whole new set/demographic and not your crusty ass.

What I'm trying to tell you all is to never get old. It sucks.

Frozen

Arcane
I stopped enjoying music round 9 when rap took over and reconnect in early 20s through the internet.

This survey is probably normies only.

Yosharian

Arcane
Literally found a new artist I really like a few days ago. Am 36. So, bullshit.

It's not that people can't appreciate new stuff, it's that the stuff they appreciate isn't the same as the stuff the young kids appreciate, necessarily.

I think quite a lot of new music is good, but I also think that large corporations taking over industries, and mass-market appeal, has destroyed a lot of what made mediums like music and videogames excellent. But, I haven't given up hope yet.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Best cure, I found: try something new. Read more books, be creative, then come back. Worked for me, when I had my hatephase in the early 2000s. But I will see, when I turn 30 next year.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[The goal of CRPGs] is still (or should be, at least) the same: to re-create the feeling of sitting around a table playing pen-and-paper D&D. This is similar to some music in that it's incredibly difficult to create that same dynamic "hook" that got you with the songs you listened to when you were young, but new artists are always trying.
Interesting. In my experience, CRPGs have never come anywhere close to recreating that tabletop feeling. Playing a CRPG is nothing like a tabletop session except for references to some shared language. I wonder if developers realize now that there's no point in trying and that's what's changed most substantially in today's games. Maybe the effort, which always fails, to simulate tabletop created something important in those older games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing about the past 10 years is that now most of the noteworthy music, fiction and games produced the past 100 years are now available free, "free" or cheap on the Internet. So there's a huge backlog to mine for fossils like me.

I know that the next time I overhear a group of babes discussing blobbers or post-apocalyptic novels of the the early 50's, I will be really well prepared to strike up a conversation!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
OP should add a poll asking if you are over 30 and like new crpgs, over 30 and like new games like the Witcher, over 30 and like Pokeman, over 30 and like new music - so we can see how accurate the study is overall.

I'm over 30 and like new crpgs and new music.

Ocelot570

Educated
I'm 19, and after playing all the codex recommended RPGs I find it hard to find any enjoyment in games. Nothing seems to be targeted to a player who thoroughly enjoys the classic RPGs of Fallout, PST, and Arcanum. NumaNuma was all right and I respected it for taking a chance for a game that no mainstream person would want to play, but every other game that is made just doesn't excite me anymore. Am I getting old too fast?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
it is hard work to keep mind of a child actually

Funny. I thought getting rid of that child and embrassing the adult part helped. Kids are very anal about their interests and cry about every change. Meh, I say :D.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm 19, and after playing all the codex recommended RPGs I find it hard to find any enjoyment in games. Nothing seems to be targeted to a player who thoroughly enjoys the classic RPGs of Fallout, PST, and Arcanum. NumaNuma was all right and I respected it for taking a chance for a game that no mainstream person would want to play, but every other game that is made just doesn't excite me anymore. Am I getting old too fast?
This reads like one of those "I'm 13 but..." youtube comments on 90's music.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom