Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
... Honestly if this was voiced in the early 2000s this would sound very progressive. Make-ups aren't just for girls and all that crap.
Dont'you mean the early seventies? In the 80's it was somewhat common for guys to wear eyeshadow and shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dont'you mean the early seventies? In the 80's it was somewhat common for guys to wear eyeshadow and shit.
I recall hearing an anecdote about Elvis looking at some early 70s glam rocker on his television and asking out loud what he had started. :M

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
BB was boring after ten hours but DOS 2 was boring after five minutes to me so I am forced to agree.

belated

Augur
:necro:

Spreadsheet link doesn't work. Are the full results available elsewhere?

Crolug

Liturgist
My advice to y'all - don't be afraid of co-op, embrace it. I found out many games gain tremendously when played with right partner(s). Take Borderland series for instance, on my example - I normally get bored with FPS shooter-like games in less than five minutes, with my best buddy - we finished B1, all its DLCs, after that we did B2 and all its DLCs, and it was a blast. Another example - us finishing Dawn of War II and all expansions together, on hardest difficulty - and I'm not a fan of these type of games at all!

This leads us to Divinity - these games are not special, for many even boring, I tried to play the first one alone and got bored before reaching the first city. These games change instantly when you turn on co-op. Fun already starts on character creation screen, when you can mock each others creations, which smoothly transition to quarrels about where to go first, how to proceed with fights and of course the best part - dialogs - each one can choose their own responses, which inevitably leads to paper-scissors-stone fights over and over again, and sometimes living with consequences of actions we were against of taking. And that's just a start - after you hit the first city you find it sometimes very demanding to even do shopping, because while you were concentrated on exchanging goods and valuables with a merchant, your... "partner" decides to... visit some private establishment and proceed with sudden change in ownership of things he found there, which led to being caught by a guard, which in turn led to sudden change in location, if we got lucky and fast, or more often in sudden change of life status, also known as death.

Now, if this is not a genuine computer roleplaying experience, I don't know what is. The plot? I don't even remember good, it didn't even matter much - probably some standard "be a hero, defeat great evil, blah, blah" type of plot - but in co-op so much was going on it didn't even bother us.

And, with Divinity 2 - you can do it all with 3 more people, not 1!

AND, you have editor and gamemaster mode.

So instead of stating the obvious how terrible the Divinity 2 is, do yourself a favor, find yourself some friends and dive in there together.

Provided you can find some friends. I understand for some here this might come as a challenge.
:backawayslowly:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My advice to y'all - don't be afraid of co-op, embrace it. I found out many games gain tremendously when played with right partner(s). Take Borderland series for instance, on my example - I normally get bored with FPS shooter-like games in less than five minutes, with my best buddy - we finished B1, all its DLCs, after that we did B2 and all its DLCs, and it was a blast. Another example - us finishing Dawn of War II and all expansions together, on hardest difficulty - and I'm not a fan of these type of games at all!

This leads us to Divinity - these games are not special, for many even boring, I tried to play the first one alone and got bored before reaching the first city. These games change instantly when you turn on co-op. Fun already starts on character creation screen, when you can mock each others creations, which smoothly transition to quarrels about where to go first, how to proceed with fights and of course the best part - dialogs - each one can choose their own responses, which inevitably leads to paper-scissors-stone fights over and over again, and sometimes living with consequences of actions we were against of taking. And that's just a start - after you hit the first city you find it sometimes very demanding to even do shopping, because while you were concentrated on exchanging goods and valuables with a merchant, your... "partner" decides to... visit some private establishment and proceed with sudden change in ownership of things he found there, which led to being caught by a guard, which in turn led to sudden change in location, if we got lucky and fast, or more often in sudden change of life status, also known as death.

Now, if this is not a genuine computer roleplaying experience, I don't know what is. The plot? I don't even remember good, it didn't even matter much - probably some standard "be a hero, defeat great evil, blah, blah" type of plot - but in co-op so much was going on it didn't even bother us.

And, with Divinity 2 - you can do it all with 3 more people, not 1!

AND, you have editor and gamemaster mode.

So instead of stating the obvious how terrible the Divinity 2 is, do yourself a favor, find yourself some friends and dive in there together.

Provided you can find some friends. I understand for some here this might come as a challenge.
:backawayslowly:

You see, while you are right, there is something...
Like, take for example PS:T - it generates in my opinion completely opposite experience, and this experience comes first for me. Yeah, it was done to imitate tabletop RPG, but culturally and aestetically it's a thing on it's own. And completely different experience - which is imporant.

I'm not sure I would like that experience completley gone, and instead I got experience from cRPG same as from tabletop RPGs.
I think I will lose something. But looks like everything goes to that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom