Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

sstacks

Arcane
What is a challenging rpg for you?

Minimally acceptable? One where it requires effort and I have to try and think for at least 50% of the battles, preferably 95% or all of them? Any game that makes combat fun to watch and does not require me to think, try, or put in any effort at all for 95% of the battles, like the BGs and NWNs, are not fun for me. People claimed you do have to try in BG2 with some tactical patch. I played and made videos showing this was not true for most of the fights. It did make some of the fights require pausing and trying, which made BG2 infinitely more enjoyable to me. But baseline BG2 combat is pure retard-fodder.

I think everyone should be against devs making a challengeless rpg trying to hurt the sales of another super indie dev making a different kind of crpg. That kind of shit should be unacceptable to all of us here.

We should ask someone who's played the beta. sstacks any thoughts on difficulty?

Overall not bad, but in the alpha and beta at least it seems pretty easy to wander into set encounters that will kick the crap out of you, with no context or clues to let you know you're suddenly in a bad neighborhood. So after save scumming about 4-5 times you realize it's just beyond your party for the moment.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Overall not bad, but in the alpha and beta at least it seems pretty easy to wander into set encounters that will kick the crap out of you, with no context or clues to let you know you're suddenly in a bad neighborhood. So after save scumming about 4-5 times you realize it's just beyond your party for the moment.

Is it click and watch or does it try to engage the player? How often, in the bulk of appropriate level combat encounters, do you have to pause, think, and try? Besides the level gated encounters, how often does the game throw a really tough appropriate level encounter at you? Does it follow the 95% trash mob/5% tough boss fight model of BG1/2, NWN1/2, Kotors, etc? Is it more comparable to the systems in Drakensangs and PoEs/tyranny where combat is still super easy but at least goes faster if you use abilities? Does it try to be challenging or does it try to be storymode at the baseline, default settings? How challenging did you find the vast majority of all combats in BG1/2 so we can compare? Good challenge, great challenge, not enough challenge, super easy?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Was Dota RtwP? Did Dota absolutely require constant pausing to make tactical decisions? If dota isn't rtwp then what you guys are saying is basically the IE games combat was just like Doom. And Doom is like QfG. And QfG was just like Elminage Gothic. And nothing means anything because we are children and we haven important things to say! GENDER IS A LIE!!!
In Dota you control a single character (and his summons if he has any). When someone gives you 4 Dota characters, implements pause function because it is super hard to control 4 characters in real time you get shit like that Arklash Legacy. Just fuck off already with your shit games Rogua/Yes

ArchAngel

Arcane

Is it click and watch or does it try to engage the player? How often, in the bulk of appropriate level combat encounters, do you have to pause, think, and try? Besides the level gated encounters, how often does the game throw a really tough appropriate level encounter at you? Does it follow the 95% trash mob/5% tough boss fight model of BG1/2, NWN1/2, Kotors, etc? Is it more comparable to the systems in Drakensangs and PoEs/tyranny where combat is still super easy but at least goes faster if you use abilities? Does it try to be challenging or does it try to be storymode at the baseline, default settings? How challenging did you find the vast majority of all combats in BG1/2 so we can compare? Good challenge, great challenge, not enough challenge, super easy?
Compared to BG, PoE has 1% tough battles and others are super easy ones that take too long due to too many enemies with too much health (I don't count expansions into this as I don't care to play them after wasting too much time on vanilla PoE already).

EDIT: Also I noticed you decided to randomly go into my posting history and press some buttons because you are butthurt kid.
Next time train your brain and not your fingers with bad games like that Legacy shit.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Was Dota RtwP? Did Dota absolutely require constant pausing to make tactical decisions? If dota isn't rtwp then what you guys are saying is basically the IE games combat was just like Doom. And Doom is like QfG. And QfG was just like Elminage Gothic. And nothing means anything because we are children and we haven important things to say! GENDER IS A LIE!!!
In Dota you control a single character (and his summons if he has any). When someone gives you 4 Dota characters, implements pause function because it is super hard to control 4 characters in real time you get shit like that Arklash Legacy. Just fuck off already with your shit games Rogua/Yes

And then take away all the thinking and trying and interaction and you get BG 1/2.

Compared to BG, PoE has 1% tough battles and others are super easy ones that take too long due to too many enemies with too much health (I don't count expansions into this as I don't care to play them after wasting too much time on vanilla PoE already).

EDIT: Also I noticed you decided to randomly go into my posting history and press some buttons because you are butthurt kid.
Next time train your brain and not your fingers with bad games like that Legacy shit.

So, PoE brought the tough battles down from 4% in BG to 1%? That still is a horrible ratio of trash fights to actual good fights.

Why do you kids get so mad when I give you the same button you give me? Am I not supposed to join in on the button fun? As I've said - if you can't beat em, join em. Who knows, if I keep it up I may stop thinking and start enjoying watching the combat in BG 1/2 like you guys. You do know I proved with videos you can roll stomp through the overwhelming majority of the battles in BG 2 with just clicking and watching even with the tactics mod, right? You do know that is way less viable to do in PoE, right? But, since you want to believe nonsense like a brainless fanatic I'm sure video proof would be heresy and blasphemy to you, right?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let me see that video proof of yours. I bet it does not have one tough battle in it, also I bet you used prebuffs which are not same as clicking and watching.

Also there is a difference between leaving buttons on retarded posts of yours and going to user's history and leaving buttons on any post there no matter how connected it is with anything we are talking about. When you do that, that is just a mark of a butthurt kid.

sstacks

Arcane
Best way I can put it is this, in BG games for the most part any given map you were on was about the same difficulty encounter wise. There may have been exits to harder areas, or a tough encounter on the map but there was usually come kind of contextual clue that you were about to have a tough time.

My experience with PK is that you can have a couple of easy or moderate encounters and then move just a bit on the map and get your butt rocked. So it's hard to juege the challenge of the map itself.

Also remember this is Alpha and Beta experience. They may have adjusted for commercial release.

Regarding the question is it just sit and watch or do you pause and think, etc. since its RtWP I would say (genuinely not trying to be snarky here) it depends on the individual player.

sstacks

Arcane
Best way I can put it is this, in BG games for the most part any given map you were on was about the same difficulty encounter wise. There may have been exits to harder areas, or a tough encounter on the map but there was usually come kind of contextual clue that you were about to have a tough time.

My experience with PK is that you can have a couple of easy or moderate encounters and then move just a bit on the map and get your butt rocked. So it's hard to juege the challenge of the map itself.

Also remember this is Alpha and Beta experience. They may have adjusted for commercial release.

Regarding the question is it just sit and watch or do you pause and think, etc. since its RtWP I would say (genuinely not trying to be snarky here) it depends on the individual player.

P.S. Also be aware that I am a Pathfinder noob, and although I have a lot of experience with multiple editions of D&D (including 3.5), I have been playing a Magus and just fumbling forward as I go. So some of the encounters that rocked my socks off might not be hard for others.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keys on the way: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2281580

Pledge Transfers, Ingame Credits and Platform Selection
Posted by Berserkerkitten

Dear Pathfinders,

Release is mere weeks away! Can you believe it? It feels like yesterday how we were sitting here, watching the crowdfunding progress in awe, hoping to get a chance to create the game we've all been dreaming about and then our community smashed one stretchgoal after another! We can't thank you enough for your support!

There are a few urgent things I'd like to address as the launch of Pathfinder: Kingmaker is on the horizon. First of all, Kickstarter pledge transfers to the Owlcat Games backer portal! I cannot stress this enough! If you have pledged for our game on Kickstarter, then you MUST transfer your Kickstarter pledge over to our backer portal in order to receive the game and all of your pledge rewards. We have sent emails with all the links and instructions back in August 2017. The subject headline was "Backer Portal is now live!"

If you don't have this email and you have yet to transfer your Kickstarter pledge, please send an email to team@owlcatgames.com using the email address you used when you backed us on Kickstarter and ask me to re-send the pledge transfer link!

On a related note - yes, some of you have already sent an email about this and have been waiting for a reply for two weeks or even longer. I'm not trying to ignore you, please be patient for a little longer. We're a fairly small team, it's crunch time right now and I've been sent to Gamescom and PAX for the entire duration of these events. Unfortunately, this means I simply wasn't there to respond to emails and there's a huge backlog right now. Please also be aware that sending several messages about this at once across all our communications platforms will only serve to increase said backlog and slows down the entire process for everybody. I'm working as fast as I can.

I'm also getting a lot of messages from users, who say they can't remember whether or not they transferred their pledges. This is easy enough to check - log in on our backer portal at owlcatgames.com and go to https://owlcatgames.com/preorder/account - your pledge will be listed on that site if you've transferred it correctly.
If it doesn't show up on there and you're absolutely sure you've made the transfer, please make sure you're using the correct login method! If, for instance, you transferred your pledge using Facebook, then it will only show up if you log in using Facebook again!

Secondly, registering your name for the ingame credits. If you pledged for a tier, which allows you to have your name mentioned in our game's credits screen, you can now register your name on our backer portal. You can find a text box for it on your account page. It looks like this:

158878fbf278123758fa7f849389f4cd_original.png

Only shows for eligible pledge tiers

Finally, Platform Selection - getting your Steam or GoG key.

I've been getting a lot of messages from users asking when we are going to email these keys. This is handled strictly via the backer portal! It's why you must transfer your Kickstarter pledge to the portal. When the game releases, you'll be able to log in on the backer portal and choose from either a Steam key or a GoG key. This will become an option shortly before our release day on September 25th. Once the option is there, we'll also let you know here on Kickstarter and on social media.

I hope this addresses most urgent questions regarding pledge transfers and game keys. If you see users here on Kickstarter or on our forums or anywhere on social media with questions about the subject, please send them a link to this update and ask them to read it carefully.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to respond to your emails as fast as I can. Please understand that this is going to take some time. I'm not ignoring you.

Hail to the Kings!

Berserkerkitten
Community Manager
Owlcat Games

e94639ac9cc5d71687fc3070884fa252_original.png

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Seems we Will get Hell knights in Limited form since 80% of Stretch Goal was reached.

https://imgur.com/a/4CFaYGs

Imho HellKnights will just be fighters Perhaps with Special feat or two and they wont be Major but only Minor organisations but they could be in game, makes sense That they might want to expand in Dlc rather than Introduce entirely new faction.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
And Owlcats server is dead....

It worked 15 minutes ago, Hell of coincidence.

Edit: Its up again Now 2 Minute long Hug of death makes me think even more suspicious. Seriously This is not Site Folding up under attack or problem This is site Slowing Down and freezing as it Thinks "THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE WHERE ARE THE KEYS, WHERE ARE THE KEYS I NEED TO DELIVER THE KEY, ARE YOU MY KEY, ARE YOU MY KEY, MY KEY I MUST HAVE IT, MY BELOVED KEY, I WANT MY KEY, WHAT IS AN ALIGMENT OF THE KEY TO YOUR PLEASURE, WHAT IS THE KEY OF YOU MIND AND DEEPEST FANTASY, THE KEY NOW, THE KEY, THE KEY, THE KEY, OPEN THE GATES, OPEN THE KEY WITH A KEY."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They might send me the keys directly, or they might set up accounts for you on the backer portal site. Maybe I'll remind them about it closer to release.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Let me see that video proof of yours. I bet it does not have one tough battle in it, also I bet you used prebuffs which are not same as clicking and watching.

Also there is a difference between leaving buttons on retarded posts of yours and going to user's history and leaving buttons on any post there no matter how connected it is with anything we are talking about. When you do that, that is just a mark of a butthurt kid.

The videos were from a while ago and lots from this forum saw them and can confirm. I didn't have a caster so I didn't prebuff shit, smartypants. I only recorded the videos of combats I had to pause in, and there wasn't many of them. With the tactical mod I did get stuck at a battle much higher level than I was in the city, but didn't have much trouble with any of the other "boss" battles. That isn't counting the majority of the battles which are just filler time wasters and I don't see how even you could deny that. But again, that was with the coveted tactical mod that was supposed to make combat require thought. It did make it better - but was still far, far from good by any objective reasoning.

And I could have beat the battle I was stuck in - I just couldn't do it without at least my thief being killed by those backstabber guys. If I got a couple levels I could have done it, but since I the guy I was arguing with and started the videos over I made the point I would be able to handle any of the battles with the tactics mod without level stipulations, so he won the specific argument, where I proved my broader point true. The combat in the game was a joke, and too boring to be considered a "game" without the tactical mod, and still way too retardedly easy even with it. The fact that you can't see this either means you have a serious mental deficiency regarding combat - which would explain why you hate Aarklash Legacy since it require thinking and trying - or you are so fanatic about it to be blind. The equivalent would be me claiming ToEE, a game I love dearly, had no bugs when it was released. Not that it had some minor bugs (which would still be objectively incorrect for me to claim), but actually claiming it had NO bugs.

BG 1 and 2 had good to great content other than combat. I think it still holds the top spot for good itemization and fun factor in gearing up a party. Its combat truly was retardedly easy. Saying otherwise is just crazy. Subjectively, I like party-based games less that do not have a game designed full party generation (even if its an option), but is instead based on recruiting party members. Why? It means combat will have a much lower base-line challenge. This is an observable fact that can be clearly seen by playing recruitable party games, as well as devs saying they do it on purpose so players can pick a party based on who they like and not on who would make the most effective and strong party. Which undermines the chardev and rpg systems I love, and has directly lead to retarded rpg-lite systems with barely any rpg and no needed "role" since that goes against the core goal of providing a fun story to watch. I want a fun game to play, not a fun story to watch. I want good combat to engage in, not smooth animations to watch.

Seriously, just think instead of having a kneejerk reaction. I'm not just saying shit to give you a hard time. Nothing I'm saying is new or controversial to anyone but kids, dummies, and fanatics who refuse to be reasonable or think clearly. If you like super easy, click and watch combat there is nothing wrong with that. I can't play Elite: Dangerous because the game wants me to remember 7 million hotkeys. I want their control scheme to be easy mode for me. They could call it retard mode. I don't care. Hell, maybe the actual game is too difficult for me - I don't know because I'm not smart enough for the controls so couldn't even make it to the game part. I like space flight games for dummies like Privateer and Freelancer.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So your video proof is you describing it? Are you serious now?
Go away troll!

Come on, the Baldur’s Gate games were full of piss easy combat. It’s like trash mob after trash mob.

Roqua is also right that games designed around player created parties tend to have more difficult combat. For the most relevant comparison, the fights in IWD 1&2 were more challenging than BG 1&2.

Cael

Arcane
Come on, the Baldur’s Gate games were full of piss easy combat. It’s like trash mob after trash mob.

Roqua is also right that games designed around player created parties tend to have more difficult combat. For the most relevant comparison, the fights in IWD 1&2 were more challenging than BG 1&2.
Once you knew where everything is or are good at scouting, BG was easy as piss. Take the entrace to Cloakwood Mines. The 4 bounty hunters were supposed to be a hard fight, yet if you scouted properly, they dropped easily to 3 fireballs to the face while you were safely out of sight.

Same with Daveorn.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So your video proof is you describing it? Are you serious now?
Go away troll!

Learn to read, Rogua says that he can do most difficulty battles with tactics mod without casting anything but only autoattacking with everyone.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Once you knew where everything is or are good at scouting, BG was easy as piss. Take the entrace to Cloakwood Mines. The 4 bounty hunters were supposed to be a hard fight, yet if you scouted properly, they dropped easily to 3 fireballs to the face while you were safely out of sight.

Same with Daveorn.

But That makes sense, There is reason we have Ambush Tactics,Encirclements All the fancy Strategismo, Its because it works better than straightup brawl.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
lol so many comments and nothing interesting. Why bother giving your opinions when the game isn't out yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom